Andreas Pereira Brazil flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ended up doing a comparison between him and anyone he's competing with to get in our team for next season and it doesn't look good for him at all.

Not as creative as the more creative midfielders, not as good defensively as the more defensive midfielders and much less involved than any of them overall. Just seems to be peripheral to the action, not affecting the game much. As far as auditions to force himself into our first XI go, this would have to be considered a failure. So far.

El Jefe

He’s better than some of our options. He will be a wonderful addition cos he can cross the ball and he’s an experienced set piece taker. Some of the corners we have taken this season has been a disgrace.

Pereira will suit a 4-3-3 system with Matic at the base, Pereira on the right and Pogba on the left. If Mourinho wants to finish strongly in this second half of the season, bring back TFM & Pereira is a necessity .
I'm sorry but Pereira is not better than any of our options on the flanks or in midfield at this moment in time. He can cross the ball and dribble but playing in midfield in this league requires way more than that.

I find it crazy when he's included in midfield in potential starting lineups. He has only played there for the u21's. In all of his loans he's been played out wide because he's careless on the ball and always looks for the dribble or shot rather than a pass. If you can't play in midfield for Granada, Brasil U23 or Valencia, how on earth will you get into the Manutd midfield.

El Jefe

Ended up doing a comparison between him and anyone he's competing with to get in our team for next season and it doesn't look good for him at all.

Not as creative as the more creative midfielders, not as good defensively as the more defensive midfielders and much less involved than any of them overall. Just seems to be peripheral to the action, not affecting the game much. As far as auditions to force himself into our first XI go, this would have to be considered a failure. So far.
He has strong support from a number of posters on here who think he should be starting for us. Its quite bizzare when you analyse his stats and performances.

Silas

That's atrocious for a player people are talking up as an improvement to our central midfield options. You can allow a lower % for real chalk on their boots wingers but, even then, you'd want them to be taking more care with the ball.

Compare and contrast:
Lingard: 87%
Mata: 87%
Rashford: 77%
Martial: 83%
Mkhitaryan: 82%
You'd be better off comparing him to actual wingers (the crossing kind). His main job is staying wide and providing crosses from what I've seen (nothing like the roles of anyone you've mentioned there), so I'd imagine his pass accuracy would be affected a lot by it. His pass success rate was 76.1% last season, when he played a lot more games at CM and even then, he still played almost twice as many games at LW than CM. Solely playing at CM, it's likely much higher.

The only player in a decent PL team with his role is Marc Albrighton and he has a pass accuracy of 67% or so.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He has strong support from a number of posters on here who think he should be starting for us. Its quite bizzare when you analyse his stats and performances.
It's because he is a fancy player from the academy.

Pereira in my opinion does not get into the team. He has less defensive awareness than Pogba and only a fraction of the offensive awareness. He would be a good deputy to Mata; but if we get Sanchez, Mata will probably become a squad player himself.

I think he will be sold for the sake of his career.

Nick7

Exactly. And the arrival of Sanchez will make it hard for Mata to get a game. Nothing Pereira has done in his career to date would put the place of any of our deeper lying midfielders under threat either. So where’s the place for him in our squad next season?
I would have said a potential McTominay role. Maybe even a mix between that and Lingard. But clearly he has notions of better playing time. He won't be getting that here.

Nick7

You'd be better off comparing him to actual wingers (the crossing kind). His main job is staying wide and providing crosses from what I've seen (nothing like the roles of anyone you've mentioned there), so I'd imagine his pass accuracy would be affected a lot by it. His pass success rate was 76.1% last season, when he played a lot more games at CM and even then, he still played almost twice as many games at LW than CM. Solely playing at CM, it's likely much higher.

The only player in a decent PL team with his role is Marc Albrighton and he has a pass accuracy of 67% or so.
Crosses aren't counted in Squawka passing stats.

Silas

Crosses aren't counted in Squawka passing stats.
I was using whoscored. They included it under the passing section, so I assumed it did. Don't think they have a stat definition page, though.

Nick7

I was using whoscored. They included it under the passing section, so I assumed it did. Don't think they have a stat definition page, though.
oh sorry, my bad. I thought you were using squawka since @Pogue Mahone linked that. I'm not sure about who scored.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Whose stats are near identical. If anything, slightly better from an attacking point of view (succesful take-ons). Can you imagine the reaction on here if someone suggested we bring Albrighton in over the summer?!?

Idxomer

The problem with Pereira from I've seen that he doesn't seem to put him self in a good position consistently on the pitch to take advantage of his good attributes. That's always a problem if you want to make it at a big club. You can have an amazing 1st touch, a wicked cross and good skills on the ball but all that wont matter if you can't apply your skills to influence the game consistently. That's why someone like Carrick was able to forge an amazing career at a top club for so long, not because of his dribbling or 1st touch or pace but rather his sense of positioning, you always felt like he was consistently in the right place at the right time. Pereira needs to improve a lot at this area to be able to make it at a team like United.

Brightonian

Whose stats are near identical. If anything, slightly better from an attacking point of view (succesful take-ons). Can you imagine the reaction on here if someone suggested we bring Albrighton in over the summer?!?
Yes, but a) Pereira wouldn't be brought back to United to play that role, here they know he's a central player. And b) Albrighton is at the absolute peak of his career, as good as he'll ever be. Pereira is a youngster learning his trade out on loan in an unfamiliar team and country.

Silas

oh sorry, my bad. I thought you were using squawka since @Pogue Mahone linked that. I'm not sure about who scored.
No worries, I'll try to find some confirmation on the website.

Again, this is a weird comparison because of the role he plays. Mata and Lingard play closer to the goal than him, so they're attacking stats will tend to be higher. As for Herrera, he plays more like a Kante than a Modric, for example, so his defensive stats would be expected to be higher. Playing in a midfield 3, you don't need to be as solid in defense as Herrera is. Look at Modric and Kroos' defensive stats; also less than Herrera's (and less than Pereira's as well). I included Andreas's stats from last season, when he played some more at CM.

In response to your other post, most people want Pereira as a CM, not an archetypical winger, so what the reaction would be to wanting Albrighton isn't really relevant. Besides, isn't the fact that his stats are similar to someone who's played in that position for a large portion of their career a good thing? He played mostly as. #10 in the academy didn't he? If he's doing as well as a seasoned winger in a position he isn't that familiar in, he's doing quite well for himself, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No worries, I'll try to find some confirmation on the website.

Again, this is a weird comparison because of the role he plays. Mata, Lingard and Rashford all play closer to the goal than him, so they're attacking stats will tend to be higher. As for Herrera, he plays more like a Kante than a Modric, for example, so his defensive stats would be expected to be higher. Playing in a midfield 3, you don't need to be as solid in defense as Herrera is. Look at Modric and Kroos' defensive stats; also less than Herrera's (and less than Pereira's as well).
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...cessful_take_ons/interceptions/tackles_won#90

I included Andreas's stats from last year where he played some more at CM.

In response to your other post, most people want Pereira as a CM, not an archetypical winger, so what the reaction would be to wanting Albrighton isn't really relevant. Besides, isn't the fact that his stats are similar to someone who's played in that position for a large portion of their career a good thing? He played mostly as. #10 in the academy didn't he? If he's doing as well as a seasoned winger in a position he isn't that familiar in, he's doing quite well for himself, wouldn't you say?
I’d say that matching the stats of an (IMO) bang average winger at a mid-table club provides zero encouragement that he might improve a team with the aspirations of Manchester United if we want him to play that position next season.

As for playing him in central midfield, he's played there less this season than last. In fact, they just signed none other than Francis fecking Coquelin to improve their central midfield options (who walked straight onto their starting XI). Which tells you all you need to know about what his current club think of Pereira's quality in that position. So on what basis are we assuming he'll come back to England and excel as a central midfielder?

In Rainbows

I’d say that matching the stats of an (IMO) bang average winger at a mid-table club provides zero encouragement that he might improve a team with the aspirations of Manchester United if we want him to play that position next season.

As for playing him in central midfield, he's played there less this season than last. In fact, they just signed none other than Francis fecking Coquelin to improve their central midfield options (who walked straight onto their starting XI). Which tells you all you need to know about what his current club think of Pereira's quality in that position. So on what basis are we assuming he'll come back to England and excel as a central midfielder?
To be fair, it's not a strong indicator of what they think of his potential in that position because it's a loan deal. It just means they don't think he can fill that role at this point in time.

Brightonian

We're his current club. He's a loanee there, so they've taken him to inexpensively fill a temporary gap in the squad and/or team. As it turns out, that gap has been out wide, where he can clearly do a decent job if he's matching Albrighton's stats.

If he plays for United, we would obviously put him in a position that actually suits him. And he's never at any level for us played anywhere other than at #8 or #10, so clearly that's what we think he is.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
To be fair, it's not a strong indicator of what they think of his potential in that position because it's a loan deal. It just means they don't think he can fill that role at this point in time.
Ok, maybe I worded that badly. But if he's not good enough now to play that position (and has barely played it at all in his career to date) ahead of Coquelin right now I would say it's wildly optimistic to assume he'll come back and force his way into our team, playing as a CM. It's a position that takes longer than most to master. He'll be learning it almost from scratch, aged 23. Competing for places with the likes of Pogba, Matic, Herrera and the inevitable world class talent Mou will want to replace Carrick in the summer.

How's he going to get the games he needs to learn how to become a CM good enough for Manchester United? Because he sure as shit hasn't got them when he was in Spain.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'll stick out wide for the next few seasons I think, for the sake of consistent gametime and development as a player. As he grows, it’ll be up to him to gain a spot centrally - his traits at youth level show he is capable there, it’s a case of being able to make the step up now he’s at senior football. I think Modric is the best example of that I can think of (moving from a wide playmaker to someone central).

Still, he’s been OK at a fairly young and loan-filled Valencia side. Not entirely sure why there’s so much flak directed at him right now. Guess Andreas isn’t yong and lernin...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He'll stick out wide for the next few seasons I think, for the sake of consistent gametime and development as a player. As he grows, it’ll be up to him to gain a spot centrally - his traits at youth level show he is capable there, it’s a case of being able to make the step up now he’s at senior football. I think Modric is the best example of that I can think of (moving from a wide playmaker to someone central).

Still, he’s been OK at a fairly young and loan-filled Valencia side. Not entirely sure why there’s so much flak directed at him right now. Guess Andreas isn’t yong and lernin...
BFS too. Also, Darren Fletcher would be a more defensively minded equivalent*. So yeah, it's not outrageous to suggest he could end up as a CM. Just don't see it happening at United. Not now he's got a taste for regular first team football. I guess it's possible he could stay on loan in Spain for another season or two, before coming back home, but can't think of any other loanees (from United, or anywhere else) that stayed abroad so long and ended up playing for their original club.

*EDIT: Mind you, I bet that BFS, Modric and Fletcher had much higher pass completion %'s when playing out wide. Retaining posession being such a key skill for a CM the type of players who end up in that position are likely to be an extremely accurate passer wherever they play.

Last edited:

Silas

Well we don't want to play him as a winger (never played for the first team there IIRC), so I wouldn't worry about that.

Coquelin is a defensive midfielder so he and Pereira wouldn't even be competing for the same role, even if Pereira was being used in midfield.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Darren Fletcher being a more defensively minded equivalent*. So yeah, it's not outrageous to suggest he could end up as a CM. Just don't see it happening at United. Not now he's got a taste for regular first team football. I guess it's possible he could stay on loan in Spain for another season or two, before coming back home, but can't think of any other loanees (from United, or anywhere else) that stayed abroad so long and ended up playing for their original club.

*EDIT: Mind you, I bet that both Modric and Fletcher had much higher pass completion %'s when playing out wide. Retaining posession being such a key skill for a CM the type of players who end up in that position are likely to be an extremely accurate passer wherever they play.
I’d honestly be surprised if he will be coming back here next season. He’s been knocking on the door for loans three seasons running; first under van Gaal, and now both Mourinho seasons. If he stays, he’ll still be fifth/sixth choice CM and fifth/sixth choice winger, especially after what is a pretty average season for Valencia.

I’m very sure Mourinho would love to have a versatile squad option like Pereira on the bench/in the squad for when the team needs. But... it’s a discussion already had in this thread - I think he’ll go for his own career rather than trying to putting the team ahead of him. Detestable for such thoughts, admirable for braving the unknown - whatever. But I imagine that’s what’ll happen.

If he does realise his potential, I think it would be a Lingard ‘when he turns 25’ type of thing. The talent is there but the maturity of consistent application needs to follow. Maybe one day it’ll result in him returning. Maybe it’ll be him having a decent career at Spain or Italy’s level just below the elite, with the Valencia’s and Lazio’s of the footballing world.

kundalini

If he plays for United, we would obviously put him in a position that actually suits him. And he's never at any level for us played anywhere other than at #8 or #10, so clearly that's what we think he is.
According to Transfermarkt:

In 13/14 Andreas started 18 games for the reserves and U19s. Of those 18, 5 were left wing, 2 right wing, 7 attacking mid, 4 centre forward

In 14/15 Andreas started 18 games for the reserves. 3 left wing, 4 right wing, 6 attacking mid, 2 support striker, 3 centre mid

In 15/16 He made 10 starts for the reserves. 1 as a left winger, 9 attacking mid.

Trying to remember which position he played in all his first team appearances is challenging but I estimate he was used wide at least 1/3 of the time, possibly closer to 1/2. Transfermarkt only list his position in some of the games he appeared as a sub. Starts left wing v Ipswich, attacking mid v Middlesbrough in the League Cup. As a sub, left wing v Wolfsburg, also Stoke. Attacking mid in some of the others. Not always clear from the substitutions quite which position he played.

On his debut he came on for Saidy Janko at MK Dons. I seem to recall we started using 3 at the back so Janko was right-wing back but we may well have abandoned that system at some stage in the 2nd half. Transfermarkt failed to recognise our correct system in that game. Perhaps they made errors in other games too.

His most impressive first team appearances came on the pre-season tour of US during LVG's 2nd season. He mostly played left-wing in those games as Januzaj was being tested in a more central role.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

The only thing it tells you is he isn't a defensive midfielder which no one though anyway.

JohnnyLaw

Stats make for interesting discussion but if stats meant that much Jesse wouldn't be first choice attacking midfielder ahead of Mata.
Besides, Andreas matches Jesse in most things apart from goals scored and passing completion which isn't that strange seeing as he's played all season as a more traditional winger for Valencia. Most wingers will have around 70-80% pass completion, Alexis for example has 73% pass completion this season. At the same he does more in defense compared to Jesse which could be an arguement for him being more suited to a more reserved role, such as in a midfield three rather than as a second striker. He looked a brilliant prospect in that role at times last season, the game against Real Madrid away being a personal highlight. Mata has always been a strong player statistically but unfortunately it doesn't translate.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Mourinho said: "Pereira is happy. He's playing. My only little concern is that he's playing in a position that doesn't exist in Manchester United.

"They're playing in a totally different system than us and he plays in a position that we don't have.

"We will need an update in relation to that. But the experience he's having, playing in a good competition, in a good club with a big fan base,and with pressure around.

"I think it is an amazing experience for him and we are happy to let him stay there"

What would you make of Mourinho's comments regarding Andreas' playing position? Hope he can make it here once he's back and be part of our starting 11.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That article is terribly written and what you'd expect from a butthurt fan on here. He did like one interview saying he didn't want to return, he hasn't been constantly saying it. He also came out afterwards giving an interview saying he wants to come back next season.

So some Spanish paper says with his talent he needs to continue to improve. It doesn't mean much nor go against anything really. Most people think he has been pretty good. He has lots of talent though and can do even better.

drmuji

I still think when Carrick and Fellaini leave this summer, having him back and playing him in midfield three can be a good option even if we go for another midfielder this summer.
I do think he brings very different qualities on the table than any other midfielder we have

Utdstar01

Looking more and more likely as the season goes on that he would've got plenty of chances here this season.

Jig1234

Great Interview by Sid Lowe with Pereira. Sounds like he is keen to come back next season and work with Mourinho. Let's be honest he couldn't do any worse than Herrera at the moment. I think Andreas would do well as a CM option. Wasted by Valencia on the LW.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great Interview by Sid Lowe with Pereira. Sounds like he is keen to come back next season and work with Mourinho. Let's be honest he couldn't do any worse than Herrera at the moment. I think Andreas would do well as a CM option. Wasted by Valencia on the LW.

Good article that. He seems to have a very good head on his shoulders and actually wants to make it at United, so he is definitely saying all the right things. I hope we get to see a lot of him next season, what I have seen of him he looks a really promising player.

Zlatattack

Glad to read he wants to be back. I'd love for him to be a success here with us.

Scholsey2004

Might put a few noses out of joint but I think he'll either be loaned out again next season or sold. I just don't see where he'd get games for us.

Mr PG

Never understand the Pereira obsession here. Not good enough... period and I doubt he will improve enough to change that.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Might put a few noses out of joint but I think he'll either be loaned out again next season or sold. I just don't see where he'd get games for us.
Won't get loaned out as his contract would expire at the end of it. Most likely at the moment is looking like being sold to Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.