5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

Was one of our best players - he retained the ball well and made some good passes forward.

Looks good in that. Some loose passes in there, but mostly direct and forward with the ball, good range, two-footed, gets stuck in, quite mobile.

He should get quite a few chances this season. He looks better than McTominay for me. Along with Herrera and Fellaini he'll be good cover for the MF.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
he shouldn't be playing as the deepest one but he could be great as b2b, dropping deep to set the tempo, spray some passes around and we all know he can be dangerous in the attacking third in almost all areas, if he goes wide, he have a hell of a cross, has a great shot too and decent enough dribbling for a midfielder. Also hope he adds a bit more positioning and timing of his tackles, I like his aggression but needs to time it better, perhaps Carrick could help heaps on this. Hope he's patient because at the very least he could have a Lingard-like career of a great squadie..

luke511

He had a good game, I thought he was playing way too deep whilst we had Herrera and McTominay on the pitch though. That midfield 3 really stunted our attacking game yesterday.

Laurentiu amt

I like that he's a good passer with both feet. That's kind of a rare skill to find these days.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Should be given a proper chance in the first team this season. Aside from Pogba, our most creative midfielder. Seems to have bulked up a bit and more confident on the ball - albeit over complicating matters at times. Thought he was going to be given a proper run out 2 or 3 years ago already when he looked excellent in pre season.

AndyJ1985

I'd rather see this lad given a chance in the first team than McTominay. He looks like he could be a decent talent, whereas McTominay looks a nothing player.

MadMike

Should be given a proper chance in the first team this season. Aside from Pogba, our most creative midfielder. Seems to have bulked up a bit and more confident on the ball - albeit over complicating matters at times. Thought he was going to be given a proper run out 2 or 3 years ago already when he looked excellent in pre season.
He should yes, but I'm kinda worried about how many times he's gonna make the bench or the squad for the meaningful league games, unless we get many injuries.

Teams can pick 7 subs, 6 outfield players if you exclude the GK. That usually means 2 forwards, 2 mids and 2 defenders. I reckon Herrera and Fellaini will be ahead of him for the two sub spots and that's assuming we play with 3 CMs (Fred, Matic, Pogba).

I mean the only reason McTominay got quite a few games last season was because Carrick was semi retired and Pogba got injured for 3 months. And now Carrick's been replaced by Fred. Pereira will have a lot of competition for a place on the bench, never mind the starting XI. He'll play in the lesser cups but I'm not sure how much we'll see him in the League or CL.

FerociousCorgis

as someone who was there live, pereira was indeed one of the better players in the midfield. There weren't very many forward long options for him to hit, but a time or two he did a good job of finding any of those runs that may have been there. Did a good job of moving his body well to make a yard or two of space to find the pass. The plan of where he played seemed to be that of a young carrick type player who won't be a super destroyer back there, but more of a ball retaining/cycling option that allows us to move the ball around. The one issue with our midfield as a whole last night was the fact that it felt like there were multiple times everyone kept backing deeper and deeper as a C.A. player ran at them in the midfield. Several times it felt like we let the player get to pretty much our 18 yard box unchallenged it felt like-seemed like players were unsure of who was supposed to challenge the ball carrier and who was supposed to drop deep.

Id love to see Pereira in games where either we will control the ball for most of the game, or part of a 3 that includes matic to do all the dirty work. A midfield 3 of matic, pogba, and pereira would be pretty creative compared to games last season when we had matic, fellaini, mctominay as our 3.

Looks good in that. Some loose passes in there, but mostly direct and forward with the ball, good range, two-footed, gets stuck in, quite mobile.

He should get quite a few chances this season. He looks better than McTominay for me. Along with Herrera and Fellaini he'll be good cover for the MF.
That's what I like about him he always tries to play the ball forward - I also noticed he doesn't panic in tight areas when he's being pressed. He's very calm at playing his way out of trouble.

ti vu

as someone who was there live, pereira was indeed one of the better players in the midfield. There weren't very many forward long options for him to hit, but a time or two he did a good job of finding any of those runs that may have been there. Did a good job of moving his body well to make a yard or two of space to find the pass. The plan of where he played seemed to be that of a young carrick type player who won't be a super destroyer back there, but more of a ball retaining/cycling option that allows us to move the ball around. The one issue with our midfield as a whole last night was the fact that it felt like there were multiple times everyone kept backing deeper and deeper as a C.A. player ran at them in the midfield. Several times it felt like we let the player get to pretty much our 18 yard box unchallenged it felt like-seemed like players were unsure of who was supposed to challenge the ball carrier and who was supposed to drop deep.

Id love to see Pereira in games where either we will control the ball for most of the game, or part of a 3 that includes matic to do all the dirty work. A midfield 3 of matic, pogba, and pereira would be pretty creative compared to games last season when we had matic, fellaini, mctominay as our 3.
The problem directly relates to Pereira weakness. He tackles, but doesn't win the ball much. Too easy for opposition run run past him. Of course nobody would expect him to experienced enough to be very good at intercepting pass before it reaches the target. So 2 sides of the coin of his game. He's decent when we have possession. When we don't, we're prone be run through the central or pushed back. Pereira noticeably failed to slow down opposition stride/attack when it was passed through his zone, let alone put a full stop to it.

Highfather_24

The problem directly relates to Pereira weakness. He tackles, but doesn't win the ball much. Too easy for opposition run run past him. Of course nobody would expect him to experienced enough to be very good at intercepting pass before it reaches the target. So 2 sides of the coin of his game. He's decent when we have possession. When we don't, we're prone be run through the central or pushed back. Pereira noticeably failed to slow down opposition stride/attack when it was passed through his zone, let alone put a full stop to it.
Which is why he is a CM and not a DM. He would be great to have as a backup for Pogba, as the midfielder who can keep possession and play killer passes/dribble/shoot etc. Him playing in the deep reminded me of Carrick with his passing between the lines and composure.

FerociousCorgis

i thought he won the ball back as much as the others did in midfield. I also don't know what was Mou's instruction for him as he was in that hole right there. But really nothing wrong with him not being completely ready to be a sole holding midfielder. For me he looked much better than mctominay in midfield. All of this obviously being from just the first preseason game.

ti vu

Which is why he is a CM and not a DM. He would be great to have as a backup for Pogba, as the midfielder who can keep possession and play killer passes/dribble/shoot etc. Him playing in the deep reminded me of Carrick with his passing between the lines and composure.
The gulf in quality between him and Pogba is great. Pereira best asset is ability to move the ball quickly via quick short burst dribbling or quick passing. Thing is Fred looks like pretty much for that role too and of course, Fred would be given more game time to adapt. We don't spend a considerable amount for a player for heavy rotation role. It was a miss chance for Pereira in this role this past season. He shouldn't have gone out for loan.

i thought he won the ball back as much as the others did in midfield. I also don't know what was Mou's instruction for him as he was in that hole right there. But really nothing wrong with him not being completely ready to be a sole holding midfielder. For me he looked much better than mctominay in midfield. All of this obviously being from just the first preseason game.
His role means he's naturally within expectation to win the ball more than majority of other positions. Where and when the ball being won matters. C.A attackers were able to push us back more than they should have and Pereira zone was targeted. He couldn't slow them down when they drove past him most of the time. We had enough players in position so it's not like he was asked to cover too much space and his fitness due to first pre season game was reason. So when we won the ball back, we're deep in our own half. First game of pre season of course, our fitness level is not good for high energy box to box game. This made us very erratic going forward

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

The gulf in quality between him and Pogba is great. Pereira best asset is ability to move the ball quickly via quick short burst dribbling or quick passing. Thing is Fred looks like pretty much for that role too and of course, Fred would be given more game time to adapt. We don't spend a considerable amount for a player for heavy rotation role. It was a miss chance for Pereira in this role this past season. He shouldn't have gone out for loan.

His role means he's naturally within expectation to win the ball more than majority of other positions. Where and when the ball being won matters. C.A attackers were able to push us back more than they should have and Pereira zone was targeted. He couldn't slow them down when they drove past him most of the time. We had enough players in position so it's not like he was asked to cover too much space and his fitness due to first pre season game was reason. So when we won the ball back, we're deep in our own half. First game of pre season of course, our fitness level is not good for high energy box to box game. This made us very erratic going forward
id say our overall lineup was more the reason we were slow going forward vs putting it mainly on pereira. I mean we had a lineup that was pretty much half defenders with only mata and martial as forward options ha. Honestly i forgot that mata was even in the lineup first half with how anonymous he was.

ti vu

id say our overall lineup was more the reason we were slow going forward vs putting it mainly on pereira. I mean we had a lineup that was pretty much half defenders with only mata and martial as forward options ha. Honestly i forgot that mata was even in the lineup first half with how anonymous he was.
It's just one aspect. Other aspects as I pointed out. The point about Pereira is that he was one of the most easiest players for C.A to get past in 1 vs 1 situation in yesterday game. Improve that and it would help our play in stopping C.A from pushing us too deep. This means there would be less demanding in covering lot of ground between different transition phase. Pereira was deployed in a more crucial position so his issue looks more standout.

Mata is not athletic, pre season lack of fitness, and us being pushed back didn't help. However, Mata pretty much involved in most our best chances. He was not influential in deep position, that I can agree, but again Mata most of the time ain't even in good shape

FerociousCorgis

It's just one aspect. Other aspects as I pointed out. The point about Pereira is that he was one of the most easiest players for C.A to get past in 1 vs 1 situation in yesterday game. Improve that and it would help our play in stopping C.A from pushing us too deep. This means there would be less demanding in covering lot of ground between different transition phase. Pereira was deployed in a more crucial position so his issue looks more standout.

Mata is not athletic, pre season lack of fitness, and us being pushed back didn't help. However, Mata pretty much involved in most our best chances. He was not influential in deep position, that I can agree, but again Mata most of the time ain't even in good shape
agree to disagree. Watching it live i can say that he wasn't some turnstile they were just flying past. Saw him also make numerous covering runs when a runner would go into a space vacated by a central defender.

ti vu

agree to disagree. Watching it live i can say that he wasn't some turnstile they were just flying past. Saw him also make numerous covering runs when a runner would go into a space vacated by a central defender.
Sure. Agree to disagree. You can rewatch the game to check on the point on Pereira and especially on Mata point. Mata was no way anonymous if one has the right expectation to what he can offer and what not

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We've been here before. Seems like the last 3 summers at least we've been begging for this lad to be given a proper chance. Such a talented footballer.

Rebecca

I am a big fan of Andreas Pereira hopefully this season he will get more game time

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Talented guy but I'm not really sure where the fits in or what his best position is, might become one of those who can cover a number of areas depending on the game/strength of the opposition/opponent's set-up but might not nail down a particular role.

Defensively he's probably not strong enough to play in a deeper midfield role, might be best played as the furthest advanced but then that should probably be Pogba. Maybe as back-up with a sprinkling of games from the RW? He's a pretty good crosser and could provide some natural width out there (Valencia getting forward doesn't count).

AKDevil

I really don’t see him as a ‘No6’ but watching his MUTV interview that seems to be the plan for him. Tbh I don’t know where I see him or what he might be.

Brightonian

His defensive skill set is better than some on here seem to think. In particular he's a very good man-marker and a good, aggressive tackler. His passing game, vision and composure under pressure are well suited to a deeper creative role, but he will have to improve his defensive positioning if he wants to make #6 his position in the future. Until then, probably best used as a #8.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His role means he's naturally within expectation to win the ball more than majority of other positions.
That isn't even true. If anything statistics show b2b midfielders make more tackles than #6s because they move around and are in the action more. Therefore Ander and McTominay should have had more expectation to be winning the ball while Andreas dropped off.

His defensive skill set is better than some on here seem to think. In particular he's a very good man-marker and a good, aggressive tackler. His passing game, vision and composure under pressure are well suited to a deeper creative role, but he will have to improve his defensive positioning if he wants to make #6 his position in the future. Until then, probably best used as a #8.
Indeed, he put in a few very good tackles and stops a couple of attacks. Most notably in my mind are two hard tackles he made sending it out for a throw each time. He isn't afraid to put in a hard tackle and he is a dirty fecker with history of quite a few two footed studs up challenges. :lol:

Agree with you there too, I liked how he dropped deep and picked up the ball. I love how he is able to play the ball out of pressure at the top of our box with quick cutting passes. But also think he shouldn't be the #6. I think ideally you'd have Matic in there sitting with Andreas as the #8 who drops deep to pick up the ball and dictate some play but is also free to get up and more involved in attack as well.

CA1

I'm a fan of his.

He's a good footballer, techincally good, good short and long passes, decent aggression off the ball I've always thought even from a young age, he puts good deliveries and set pieces in.

He's also very versatile. His best position is number 8/10 in a 3 you'd say but he has some scope for playing where he played the other night at number 6 and he's played wide most of his professional career. He played wide right in a 4-4-2 whenever he played for Valencia. Pace is not his best asset but he's not painfully slow so with his technical qualities and deliveries he's not a lost fish out there at all.

I'm a fan and hope he continues to thrive on this tour and impress the manager. As of now- we'll play a midfield 3 against Leicester of

Matic
Fred Herrera

I think
Matic
Fred Pereira

has far more potential in a home game we want to get on the ball and play forward in.

Highfather_24

His range of passing and vision through the lines, reminded me a lot of Carrick the other day. Hearing him say Carrick has been helping him in his #6 role makes a lot of sense. His role in the team when he plays is more of a Pirlo than say Gattuso. He is DLP and not a DM, despite playing that #6 role.

His range of passing and vision through the lines, reminded me a lot of Carrick the other day. Hearing him say Carrick has been helping him in his #6 role makes a lot of sense. His role in the team when he plays is more of a Pirlo than say Gattuso. He is DLP and not a DM, despite playing that #6 role.
I like the idea if him as a #6 we need one as Carrick has retired so it would be good if we could develop him in this role. The current midfielders we have are not suited to this role so it makes sense.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I really don’t see him as a ‘No6’ but watching his MUTV interview that seems to be the plan for him. Tbh I don’t know where I see him or what he might be.
Speaks to Jose's lack of faith in our current midfielders to play properly on the transition. You can see that's what motivated him to buy Fred.

All of Jose's teams have depended on quick counters to score goals. However, most of midfielders prefer caution to quick forward passes. Trying to mould Pereira into another Michael Carrick shows Jose's lack of faith in the likes of Herrera to play the pass at the right time. Its a shame cos a lot of our midfielders have the ability but not the mentality. They look to keep the ball rather than risk losing it by being proactive.

LonelyFire

Surprised so many underestimating his performance the other night. Thought he played the deep lying role very well - not only on the ball but if you watch back he was aggressive off the ball and closed down opposition between the lines very quickly. I think he has a lot of potential in that position.

deafepl

Andreas looks so great against Club America as No.6 but he's so fast, very mobile and more forward passes, quick in the transition from defence to attack, I could see him easily replacing Matic if he improves his defensively. I am big fans for Matic but he needs a backup to rotate with CM and perhaps showing a sign of declining considering his age, he can't play every game.

haram

Andreas looks so great against Club America as No.6 but he's so fast, very mobile and more forward passes, quick in the transition from defence to attack, I could see him easily replacing Matic if he improves his defensively. I am big fans for Matic but he needs a backup to rotate with CM and perhaps showing a sign of declining considering his age, he can't play every game.
I am excited to see him develop there. Only problem is if he will get enough games in that position.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He made some quite good defensive contributions v Club America when watching his individual highlights, hopefully a positive sign that he's working on his defensive abilities. His passing and vision are his real standout attributes for me though.

Devil81

I fear Jose will tell him his game time will be limited and he will seek a move away.

Fingers crossed he gets a chance but given the number of players we have in that position it doesn't seem likely. Jose will put his trust in the tried and tested.

Dante

Average bang
There was maturity to his pass selection that I've not seen before. Only preseason, but it bodes well.

I agree - I think he would very good to use at home against the smaller teams where we would see most of the ball. If he were to play against stronger opposition then he would need to improve off the ball I.e positioning and tackling.

Status
Not open for further replies.