5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sugar_kane

One of our Problems last year was Matic Played too many Games and looked burnt out . Hopefully Jose will use him and Rotate him with Matic .As a number 6 he is far better than everyone else other than Matic . I can understand Fellani being kept as a weird plan B send him on and let him elbow and Disrupt other teams but if Jose tries to use Fellani at 6 rather than this Kid he's lost it .
In fairness I don’t recall Jose ever really using Fellaini as a 6. I think the last person to try that in earnest was Moyes. There’s more chance of Jose trying to send him on as a centre forward.

MadMike

6th choice. He is playing better than McTominay.

Fred, Pogba and Matic are starters while Herrera, Pereira and Fellaini are rotaters.
If we plan to play with 3 in the middle that’s not a bad play to be. Especially since neither Fellaini nor Herrera can do what he does, which is dictate play.

If however we play 4-2-3-1 again then it’s gonna be really problematic for him to get games.

Roboc7

6th choice. He is playing better than McTominay.

Fred, Pogba and Matic are starters while Herrera, Pereira and Fellaini are rotaters.
Doubt Mourinho sees Pereira as someone who will rotate and Mctominay is probably still ahead of him, in Mourinho’s eyes at least.

Bwuk

Always really like Pereira and he reminds me a lot of a young Modric (said this before on the forum).

Really hope he’s given a chance. He plays football the right way.

Castia

JM on AP: “I think he has to play even more simply than what he’s doing but he has the personality to want the ball and to organise. I’m happy.”

In a dull game devoid of any creativity, he wants MORE simplicity? :lol:

Meh. There's so much wrong with the club it needs a overhaul from top to bottom I feel like we've been left in 2002.

iamkiranks

JM on AP: “I think he has to play even more simply than what he’s doing but he has the personality to want the ball and to organise. I’m happy.”

Meh. There's so much wrong with the club it needs a overhaul from top to bottom I feel like we've been left in 2002.
He doesn't want his midfielders taking risks. Ideal CDM/CM wins the ball, looks up, plays a forward pass. Not Mourinho's. That is why he rates McTominay.

Litch

Most say this was my thought too. This man at the moment 'glass is half empty' and everything he's asked, comes with soooo much negativity.

EireRed_GS

Always rated Pereira, a gifted MF with serious potential creating things going forward. If he gets a chance and a good run out he could become a quality player. Unfortunately i don't think that's gonna happen under Jose. Hope he keeps him and gives him a few chances at least. No point keeping him on board then never playing him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castia

He doesn't want his midfielders taking risks. Ideal CDM/CM wins the ball, looks up, plays a forward pass. Not Mourinho's. That is why he rates McTominay.

But he’s got 3 quality midfielders at his disposal in Pogba, Matic and Fred you’d surely want them to play their game not put chains on them, it’s one of many problems with his out of date tactics.

Midfielders expected to sit deep, Wingers made to play like wing backs and defenders just hoofing the ball up the field towards Lukaku it’s a joke.

Coops73

The best player on the pitch for me, in the last game too, I’ve enjoyed watching him, positive, controlled, forward thinking and he’s still only 22, I hope he gets some serious game time this season, someone compared him or his style to Modric and I get that, whether he’ll get to that level who knows, he’s going to need plenty of minutes to make that happen but he’s going about it in the right way.

Jig1234

Ha! - Seriously. Jose is out here to suck the fun out of everything. No new signings are looking close. Pereira was one of our best players last night and he still comes out with his backhanded compliments. He'll probably bin him off on loan again.

If you can't 'try things' in pre-season against San Jose Earthquakes, we might as well just call it a day.

JoaquinJoaquin

Ha! - Seriously. Jose is out here to suck the fun out of everything. No new signings are looking close. Pereira was one of our best players last night and he still comes out with his backhanded compliments. He'll probably bin him off on loan again.

If you can't 'try things' in pre-season against San Jose Earthquakes, we might as well just call it a day.
Yeah that quote really angered me. If he loans Pereira out again just to play Fecking McTominay then I don't even know what to say anymore.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Herrera's biggest problem is that he still seems to have LvG embedded into his brain. He's a better player than he's shown but he seems far more interested in retaining possession than actually doing something, I know it's been a while since he's shown it but he's very capable of being a creative outlet.
Yep, Lvg broke him. God knows what he was screaming at the poor lad. I remember him as a good b2b who could score goals. Fukin Lvg

Sparky Rhiwabon

Given that he'll probably be behind Matic, Fred, Pogba, Fellaini, Herrera and McTominay for starts in midfield, I don't think it'll make much difference.

I think he's deliberately singling out the likes of Chong and Pereira in these post match comments to make a point to Woodward and the world of how poor the squad is that he's having to play these players that he doesn't think are up to it

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yep, Lvg broke him. God knows what he was screaming at the poor lad. I remember him as a good b2b who could score goals. Fukin Lvg
Bar two seasons which weren't great either his scoring record throughout his career is poor. He was average at best when he first came and it was only when he worked on his defensive game that he became an actual good player. The best season of his career came after LVG supposedly ruined him.

Dr. StrangeHate

I wonder how would Jose plan a children's birthday party.
1) Pennywise as the clown.
2) Ball pit with rocks.
3) Trampoline with dampeners instead of springs.
4) Broccoli instead of cakes.
5) House chores instead of bouncy castle.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Doesn't this depend on what type of midfielder Mourinho sees him as? Maybe, he feels Pereira is suited to deeper role, neither a CDM or #10 but a CM capable of winning the ball and allowing those in front of him to the the bulk of the attacking work. If not, then feck knows whats going on.

Last edited:

Kearnkoff69

Those quote aren't promising. I hope that he gives Pereira a chance this year and that the lad sticks around. He's very talented and seems to have the right combination of skillset and mentality that we desperately need in the squad. Our next manager may not be so defensively minded and could take the shackles off him.

limerickcitykid

Doesn't this depend on what type of midfielder Mourinho see's him as? Maybe, he feels Pereira is suited to deeper role, neither a CDM or #10 but a CM capable of winning the ball and allowing those in front of him to the the bulk of the attacking work. If not, then feck knows whats going on.
Yea it completely depends on the context. As he has been playing as a no.6 it makes sense. The problem obviously is the no. 8s, in McTominay who offers nothing and Ander who isn't that creative either. But at the same time a no.6 can't abandon their responsibilities because the no.8 sucks. So it completely depends on the context he is saying it in.

If its in relation to the role of a 6 then its fine. If its in general about a midfielder then its stupid.

Grande

Doesn't this depend on what type of midfielder Mourinho see's him as? Maybe, he feels Pereira is suited to deeper role, neither a CDM or #10 but a CM capable of winning the ball and allowing those in front of him to the the bulk of the attacking work. If not, then feck knows whats going on.
Seriously, I think it’s more to do with things Mourinho has said several times in the past: we are too slow in the early attacking phases, and that he want’s the risks taken in the furthest part of the pitch, not in the middle or our own half.

This means he wants midfield players to not spend time with the ball, looking for brilliant options, risking loosing the ball while slowing play. He wants simple balls played quick and early, with the right players starting early runs to join the attackers. Carrick in his prime could most times play through the lines early with little risk. Pogba can do this only seldom, and this is why Mourinho was dissatisfied with him roaming, looking for a decisive pass, and satisfied with his world cup, wher he eight out of ten times would pass quick, simple passes, and only strike the hollywood ones when he saw them immediately, IMO.

If he want’s Pereira to learn how to play his way before the better midfielders arrive, he’ll want him to use these matches not to show what brilliant stuff he can do with the ball, but to show that he understands how Mourinho wants him to play against Leicester and Liverpool. And in that regard, I guess it makes sense to say he’s happy with his work and intentions, while his solutions so far is not yet more than ‘okay’.

Alfie092

I really hope Pereira can transfer his pre-season form into the league season! If he does then we do not need to sign another midfielder, Pogba, Matic and Fred will start the season as first-choice. Pereira, Herrera and Fellaini as backup options, think McTominay should go out on loan to a bottom half PL club, providing he is able to get regular game-time there, if not then a loan to the Championship may be best as it's still a very competitive and phsyical league.

Pereira is so versatile that he can replace Matic as a number 6 when he needs to be rested or is injured. Can come in for Pogba or Fred in the number 8 role. Can also play on the wing and can play as a number 10 if we do switch it up to a 4-2-3-1 formation.

If Mourinho is willing to give him a chance and put him ahead of McTominay in the peaking order, I think he can get around 30-35 appearances easily in all competitions, including games off the bench even if it's for only 15 minutes.

Providing he has a good season this year, then maybe the following season, where he will then be 23 years old, which is still fairly young, he can cement a starting 11 spot in a fixed position, which appears to most likely be as a number 6 according to Jose. I do believe Jose wanting to mould him into a number 6 is helped by the fact Carrick is now a coach. Carrick can definitely polish up his game and his defensive side too will improve because I think he is still suspect on that side of his game, well I haven't really seen him be tested but in the PL he could be found out.

Baxter

:lol::lol: God forbid someone take a couple of risks on the ball and do something a little different.

Paranoid Android

Jose is going to ruin Pereira if he stays here.

Minimalist

Haven't watched the game but caught this guys highlights. Looks very comfortable and mobile in that deeper role. I would be surprised if he doesn't get some minutes this season in that role.

Paranoid Android

Haven't watched the game but caught this guys highlights. Looks very comfortable and mobile in that deeper role. I would be surprised if he doesn't get some minutes this season in that role.
He might have a chance if he cuts out all of that unnecessary forward passing.

luke511

Even more simple? fecking hell no wonder our team plays like shit.

Raw

Thing is he's doing this against poor teams in a friendly game. I'd like to see if he can handle that role in a high intensity PL game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

It bemuses the mind. It really does.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Didn't he say he liked his personality and he was happy with him? From the replies on here you would think Jose verbally abused his nan.

Zoo

Nothing really wrong with what Jose said. In that position it’s about knowing how to keep it simple setting the tempo and when to look for the killer ball. It mainly comes down to experience which hopefully Jose is prepared to give him plenty of.

kirk buttercup

I Have never really been anti Jose however these comments worry me . I was thinking this kid really could shine if he had Pogba and possibly Fred or Matic next to him (not all at the same time ), & Lukaku and Sanchez in front of him . I'm getting the feeling Jose just is not the impressed by him. I think he is great and could get us moving quicker, if he is put out on loan I fully expect to watch United play exactly the way they have for two years under Jose . this is not a reaction to the match last night but I'm finding Jose's comments a little depressing .

luke511

Nothing really wrong with what Jose said. In that position it’s about knowing how to keep it simple setting the tempo and when to look for the killer ball. It mainly comes down to experience which hopefully Jose is prepared to give him plenty of.
Pereira did that though, he hardly over complicated things last night, he was the only player with personality on the pitch. Probably has something to do with him being involved with another team for the past year.

Laurentiu amt

I Have never really been anti Jose however these comments worry me . I was thinking this kid really could shine if he had Pogba and possibly Fred or Matic next to him (not all at the same time ), & Lukaku and Sanchez in front of him . I'm getting the feeling Jose just is not the impressed by him. I think he is great and could get us moving quicker, if he is put out on loan I fully expect to watch United play exactly the way they have for two years under Jose . this is not a reaction to the match last night but I'm finding Jose's comments a little depressing .
If he s sent on loan he will leave for good.
The kid had an offer to stay in Spain, declined it because he wants to make it here. If Jose comes along and takes a dump on him by playing scot/ander/felli , I wouldn t hold it against him for leaving.

However he can t expect to get in the 11 after just a good pre season. He needs to w8 for the chance during the epl and take it with both hands.

kirk buttercup

If he s sent on loan he will leave for good.
The kid had an offer to stay in Spain, declined it because he wants to make it here. If Jose comes along and takes a dump on him by playing scot/ander/felli , I wouldn t hold it against him for leaving.

However he can t expect to get in the 11 after just a good pre season. He needs to w8 for the chance during the epl and take it with both hands.
completely agree he is not walking into the team but I think he is definitely good enough to be in rotation in our midfield. I really hope Mou doesn't let him go .

limerickcitykid

Seriously, I think it’s more to do with things Mourinho has said several times in the past: we are too slow in the early attacking phases, and that he want’s the risks taken in the furthest part of the pitch, not in the middle or our own half.

This means he wants midfield players to not spend time with the ball, looking for brilliant options, risking loosing the ball while slowing play. He wants simple balls played quick and early, with the right players starting early runs to join the attackers. Carrick in his prime could most times play through the lines early with little risk. Pogba can do this only seldom, and this is why Mourinho was dissatisfied with him roaming, looking for a decisive pass, and satisfied with his world cup, wher he eight out of ten times would pass quick, simple passes, and only strike the hollywood ones when he saw them immediately, IMO.

If he want’s Pereira to learn how to play his way before the better midfielders arrive, he’ll want him to use these matches not to show what brilliant stuff he can do with the ball, but to show that he understands how Mourinho wants him to play against Leicester and Liverpool. And in that regard, I guess it makes sense to say he’s happy with his work and intentions, while his solutions so far is not yet more than ‘okay’.
Yea this is it.

Dinghy

The only bright spot (besides Sanchez) in this team, who looked comfortable passing the ball forward, gets told to play it more simple. You can definitely tell Pereira has been playing football somewhere else for these last two years, and he should probably start thinking about going somewhere else permanently if that's the response he gets from his manager after a game like that. What a fecking joke....

Last edited:

Drz

For Chong as well as Pereira, I hope it's just a means to keep them grounded.

MadMike

Goddamit a full two years later Mourinho is still so hard to warm up to and fully get behind...

You know what the irony here is? That we're supposedly lacking in ball-playing CBs (that's what everyone's been harping on about for the last 2 years, isn't it?) and we should sign a couple because our current CBs inhibit "the way want to play".

As. fecking. If. As if Mourinho will allow his CBs to play passes to one another along the edge of their own box and do little triangles with the GK, like England did in the World Cup. Whoever is the fantasist writing this scenario, needs to go write some Lord of The Rings-style bullcrap because that would be closer to reality than this horseshit idea. Mourinho teams generally bypass the midfield and play over the lines rather than meticulously pick their way through them. He wants his playmaker to keep it simple, you think the CBs would be allowed the freedom to move and run with the ball? Delusional stuff.

youngrell

Good post. What you say makes complete sense.

I would say though, that if this is the case, I'd rather see Pereira in a different role as he's better than being reduced to short, quick and simple passes IMO. It also begs the question why Jose loves Matic as much as he does, as I wouldn't really say that NM is the fastest at moving the ball. He plays it simple, but not with a great deal of urgency :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.