5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

Goddamit a full two years later Mourinho is still so hard to warm up to and fully get behind...

You know what the irony here is? That we're supposedly lacking in ball-playing CBs (that's what everyone's been harping on about for the last 2 years, isn't it?) and we should sign a couple because our current CBs inhibit "the way want to play".

As. fecking. If. As if Mourinho will allow his CBs to play passes to one another along the edge of their own box and do little triangles with the GK, like England did in the World Cup. Whoever is the fantasist writing this scenario, needs to go write some Lord of The Rings-style bullcrap because that would be closer to reality than this horseshit idea. Mourinho teams generally bypass the midfield and play over the lines rather than meticulously pick their way through them. He wants his playmaker to keep it simple, you think the CBs would be allowed the freedom to move and run with the ball? Delusional stuff.
Wether Mourinho is your (or my) cup of tee or not is one thing, but I think you are messing a few things up here. Mourinho loves CB’s and CM’s who are strong on the ball - not because he wants them to play one-two’s, pass a man or pick Pirlo-passes - but because he wants them to be able to play the ball out quick and precise, wether short or long.

His all-time favorite defender was Carvalho, whose ballplaying ability noone at United can touch, and he loved Carrick and has several time exclaimed how if not for his legs being gone (which was true) he would play every game in hus team.

I believe he is frustrated with Jones and Smalling for not being able to do what Carvalho did (thus buying Löfgren), and with Pogba for being able to, but not understanding how or even why to play like Carrick or Modric.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You know what the irony here is? That we're supposedly lacking in ball-playing CBs (that's what everyone's been harping on about for the last 2 years, isn't it?) and we should sign a couple because our current CBs inhibit "the way want to play".

As. fecking. If. As if Mourinho will allow his CBs to play passes to one another along the edge of their own box and do little triangles with the GK, like England did in the World Cup. Whoever is the fantasist writing this scenario, needs to go write some Lord of The Rings-style bullcrap because that would be closer to reality than this horseshit idea. Mourinho teams generally bypass the midfield and play over the lines rather than meticulously pick their way through them. He wants his playmaker to keep it simple, you think the CBs would be allowed the freedom to move and run with the ball? Delusional stuff.
Riddle me this. If you're expecting central defenders to bypass the midfield and ping 40-50 yard passes onto the chest of a target man, or pick out any of our front three running into the channels from deep in our own half, does Chris Smalling have the necessary accuracy at that sort of range?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Riddle me this. If you're expecting central defenders to bypass the midfield and ping 40-50 yard passes onto the chest of a target man, or pick out any of our front three running into the channels from deep in our own half, does Chris Smalling have the necessary accuracy at that sort of range?
If the person you're trying to pick out is 20 rows back in the stands then yeah, Chris is your man

Grande

Good post. What you say makes complete sense.

I would say though, that if this is the case, I'd rather see Pereira in a different role as he's better than being reduced to short, quick and simple passes IMO. It also begs the question why Jose loves Matic as much as he does, as I wouldn't really say that NM is the fastest at moving the ball. He plays it simple, but not with a great deal of urgency :confused:
Good questions. I think what we hear from Pereira rings true: He is being thaught by Carrick to be more like Carrick was. That is not a Makelele role, after all, but neither is it a Pirlo. Carrick didn’t dally on the ball, but he dictated play with playing quick, simple yet sometimes difficult passes, often through lines. Pereira has that passing ability, but probably not yet the eyes and decision making speed as to when keep it simple and when picking the box opener.

Matic makes me wonder. He is like old Carrick defensively, a bit slow but good positionally, has almost but not quite the passing ranges and is somewhat better on the ball when pressurized. Carrick gone, we had nothing close to that. I guess Mou wanted Kante and possibly have Matic further upfield like a Lampard, but Matic could do the job of transition without ball loss far better than anyone at United (remeber he tried Herrera there but he couldn’t do it). Matic can often deliberate too much, but I suspect that is partly his fault and partly because Mou never has had players who have been so difficult to get to provide outlet options fast enough by thinking and moving off the ball.

That might be partly Mou’s fault, and partly because he has tried/had to rotate more than previously, play inexperienced players more than previously, and has had attacking players with more weaknesses than he has had previously.

I’m guessing if Matic-Fred-Pogba-Sanchez-Lukaku-?(Mata?Rashford?New RW?) get to play alot together and develop relations, we’ll see Mou’s vision enfold, and that’s provided Pogba can get aboard with understanding how to play Mou-ball.

Then Pereira-Fellaini-Herrera-whomever will be more understudies of these and direct stand-ins. If there are many long term injuries, we’re in trouble either way.

Zlatattack

Ha! - Seriously. Jose is out here to suck the fun out of everything. No new signings are looking close. Pereira was one of our best players last night and he still comes out with his backhanded compliments. He'll probably bin him off on loan again.

If you can't 'try things' in pre-season against San Jose Earthquakes, we might as well just call it a day.
We should probably just get rid of Mourinho.

MadMike

Errm what? Riddle me this. Have you seen any evidence that Maguire is better than Smalling at lobbing 40 yard passes onto the chests of strikers?

I’m not expecting that and from what I see, neither is Mourinho. He’s expecting CBs to offload it to the playmaker(s) who are the ones to play the 40-50 yard pass onto the chest of the striker.

That’s very different from having ball-playing CBs like Alderweireld and Maguire who bring the ball out of defence and dribble/run with it into midfield. Which is what people here are somehow expecting Mourinho to allow to happen, if we sign one or the other (or both).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Ha! - Seriously. Jose is out here to suck the fun out of everything. No new signings are looking close. Pereira was one of our best players last night and he still comes out with his backhanded compliments. He'll probably bin him off on loan again.

If you can't 'try things' in pre-season against San Jose Earthquakes, we might as well just call it a day.
It's not the first time he's said shit like this and it won't be the last. He's really not helping himself and I'm starting to dislike Jose being our manager.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Errm what? Riddle me this. Have you seen any evidence that Maguire is better than Smalling at lobbing 40 yard passes onto the chests of strikers?

I’m not expecting that and from what I see, neither is Mourinho. He’s expecting CBs to offload it to the playmaker(s) who are the ones to play the 40-50 yard pass onto the chest of the striker.

That’s very different from having ball-playing CBs like Alderweireld and Maguire who bring the ball out of defence and dribble/run with it into midfield. Which is what people here are somehow expecting Mourinho to allow to happen, if we sign one or the other (or both).
Yes.

You have watched Smalling play football, right?

You've also just moved the goal-posts on the point you're making. One post back you were saying Mourinho expects his team to bypass midfield, now you're saying he wants the centre-backs to play the ball into one of our midfielders, for that CM to pick a forward pass. Make your mind up!

Jig1234

It's not the first time he's said shit like this and it won't be the last. He's really not helping himself and I'm starting to dislike Jose being our manager.
Starting? - I was against it when he happened but I was willing to give him a chance. At the moment Mourinho is at odds with Woodward and that is the reason this transfer window is mirroring the one we had under Moyes.

We will always struggle under Mourinho. He is up against Pep, Poch and Klopp all of which are better man managers who know they're system and style. 2 years of Mourinho and he can't get a tune out of the players he inherited or brought in. We spent £60m combined on Lindelof and Bailly and he has not used them together once.

Mourinho needs to moan less and start coaching players. His football is inferior. Martial won't be the only one wanting out of this club if it continues.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yea it completely depends on the context. As he has been playing as a no.6 it makes sense. The problem obviously is the no. 8s, in McTominay who offers nothing and Ander who isn't that creative either. But at the same time a no.6 can't abandon their responsibilities because the no.8 sucks. So it completely depends on the context he is saying it in.

If its in relation to the role of a 6 then its fine. If its in general about a midfielder then its stupid.
That's how I see it as well.

I can understand Mourinho's point to some extent if Pereira is being groomed to cover for (and perhaps ultimately replace) Matic. However I hope Mourinho isn't going to limit him to only that role. He should also be competing with Herrera to cover for Pogba and Fred, and in those positions he certainly should be trying to force it a bit more.

MadMike

Yes.

You have watched Smalling play football, right?
Yes, I have. Have you watched Maguire? Have you seen him lob 40-50 yard passes to the forwards? I don't feel like you'd be asking that question if you had.

You've also just moved the goal-posts on the point you're making. One post back you were saying Mourinho expects his team to bypass midfield, now you're saying he wants the centre-backs to play the ball into one of our midfielders, for that CM to pick a forward pass. Make your mind up!
There's two midfields mate. Yours and the opposition's. "Bypassing the midfield" usually means playing the ball over the opposition midfield, picking out either a wide forward player's run or your target-man to bring it under control. Then the rest of the team joins up with runs from deep. They don't mean your defence bypassing your own midfielders entirely.

Think Pogba's goal in the WC final. Long diagonal ball from deep by Pogba chased by Mbappe. A deflected shot falls to Griezmann. He finds Pogba on the edge of the box who, having joined after a run from deep, hammers it home.

The opposite of that is playing through the midfield which means to invite the press from the opposition midfield and pick it apart with give & go quick movement. Something that happens a lot in Spain and in their national team for example.

So, no. I didn't move the goalposts.

jmaggio

I've got a bad feeling that Pereira could be another Pique, in that we have a very talented young player who will get picked up by a team which plays football more suited to his style.

Pereira had a great period with Valencia in the run up to Christmas, making 10 appearances, 5 starts and 5 sub appearances in which he scored once and made three assists. He largely played either on the left or right side of Marcelino's favoured 4-4-2. Pereira credits Marcelino for the success of the team. What makes Jose's comments about simplification so disheartening is that his best football came when he started to express himself more on the pitch. His best games involved stepovers, cutbacks, bursts down the wings and great crosses which Rodrigo regularly profited from.

Valencia played very attacking football in which they quickly got the ball wide and looked to counter very quickly - they played in quick bursts and it worked perfectly and teams found it very difficult to stop due to the amount of balls played into the box from wide.

His crossing, an area we have been lacking desperately, is frankly terrific. To see this excellent wide midfielder being played in our static midfield is absolutely depressing.

beergod

@jmaggio Everything you mentioned about Valencia is irrelevant. Jose told Pereira that he was wasting his time going there because they played a system where none of the roles existed in our system. Pereira chose to go anyway instead of sticking around and fitting into a role that actually exists with us.

Kag

Pereira being one of the unlucky (or lucky?) group of players that go 'missing' for three months of the season must be a guarantee.

Cue many discussions surrounding attitude (well he mustn't be cutting it in training!), haircuts, eyebrow shavings and body language. I'll also enjoy those games in which he comes on for ten minutes and they are thoroughly dissected second by second. Did he slightly overhit one pass? Or was it two?

Six months later, he still won't have taken his chances, Fellaini still receives nothing other than relentless positivity in the press and we still continue to play some of the most feral football in the division. That's how I see it.

Mourinho must be unhappy with somebody (while tolerating mediocrity elsewhere) and I can't look past Pereira being one of those chaps.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
For Chong as well as Pereira, I hope it's just a means to keep them grounded.
this comment doesn´t make sense, why would manager wanted to say anything like that to a player who was our best on the pitch and his forwards passes were the only creative thing we have done and vast majority of them were 100% accurate. Someone should ask Mou if he insist on players like McTominay who are big but with shocking ball control and ball passing abilities in midfield, but who cares, we are gonna skip midfield anyway and play it to Fellaini.

Drz

this comment doesn´t make sense, why would manager wanted to say anything like that to a player who was our best on the pitch and his forwards passes were the only creative thing we have done and vast majority of them were 100% accurate. Someone should ask Mou if he insist on players like McTominay who are big but with shocking ball control and ball passing abilities in midfield, but who cares, we are gonna skip midfield anyway and play it to Fellaini.
Hi, I echo your sentiments on the matter. Besides Matic, its all back handed compliments at best besides for his lieutenants. It is all very encouraging.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Sanchez did well but what did he really create? He drew few fouls going down in the middle of the pitch when he could have played it simple, one two... pereira was equally good while playing deeper imo but that doesn’t matter, I expect sanchez as a senior player put in a performance like this at least, nevertheless it’s good to see him being sharp already

Acole9

Outstanding
Sanchez did well but what did he really create? He drew few fouls going down in the middle of the pitch when he could have played it simple, one two... pereira was equally good while playing deeper imo but that doesn’t matter, I expect sanchez as a senior player put in a performance like this at least, nevertheless it’s good to see him being sharp already
His passing was decent, no one really created anything.

serxyo

Mourinho said in a press conference that players like Matic, Fellaini, Pogba and even Herrera are more physical type of players. He even said that it’s between Fred and Andreas to connect our attack to the game with short passes. I’m really excited about that and it looks like our formation will be 433 in the new season. Matic will take the deeper role, probbably with Herrera in early stages. Pereira will get at least first 3 games of the new season.

Footyislife

Why did we buy Fred when we have this kid. Looks like a gem, haven't seen passing like this since Carrick/Scholes. Gotta be in our rotation this year.

Why did we buy Fred when we have this kid. Looks like a gem, haven't seen passing like this since Carrick/Scholes. Gotta be in our rotation this year.
He doesn't play in the same position as Fred so it's not really a problem - I think Fred is Herrera's replacement.

Red-17

Looked absolutely class out there. Has superb technical ability, and his work rate and physicality has really impressed me. Definitely should be given a chance to compete for a starting role in our midfield whether its Matic or Fred that he would displace.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Good game tonight. Spraying passes pretty well. I hope he stays and is given a chance to play a lot. We are stacked with midfielders, someone, a couple maybe, has to leave though.

Kapardin

Fred is Herrera's replacement. Think Pereira is competing with Pogba and Fellaini.

He's going to get the initial games of the season, and if he proves himself, I don't think Jose will drop him, but will shunt him about. We are crying out for a source of creativity other than Pogba, and Pereira would do well to fill that void. He's old enough to start showing his worth now.

If he comes good, season will be more exciting and he will be as good as a new signing.

MrPooni

Two totally different players. Even so, I've been really impressed with Pereira this pre-season and not only for his performances but his general demeanour off the pitch during training, interviews and press conferences too.

Canagel

I'm very impressed. He has a place in the team. Technically superb and he has the right attitude on the pitch. Always forward thinking. If he doesn't get sufficient game time this season then I don't know what else to say. You can tell he's been trained in a different way to the rest of the team for the last year hence why Mourinho told him to keep things more simple. I hope that over time he isn't told to curb those instincts because we need more players like him.

Last edited:

Ephrem

Last year I posted saying Pereira's passing skill and vision is way better than Herrera and he could replace him in our squad.

Glad to see he's proving me right.

Matic,Pogba and Pereira should be our starting mid this season.

Matic,Pogba,Pereira,Fred,Herrera : This should be the order

Fellaini can play whenever required.

Note: If Jose didn't give Andreas a chance this season, I will be pissed and most of the fans too. I hope he is not going to treat Pereira the same way he treated Martial.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Consistent, drilled, forward and eye of the needle passes non stop. This is a Carrick player. This is a young Carrick. This is missing from our midfield. If he doesn’t get played consistently this season I am thoroughly done with Mourinho.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Damn. He's been superb in this pre-season. If he were a new 50m purchase with a showing like that, I would be delighted.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He should rotate with Matic and play against the lesser sides at home.

His creativity would come in handy against those teams we usually struggle to break down.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pereira seems to be taking to the deep lying play maker role. He said in a recent interview that Mourinho and Carrick are telling him to get it forward quickly as often as possible, based on tonight's showing he's taken that advice to heart. Really good to see that both the intent and execution were there from him tonight.

AndyJ1985

It'd be a travesty if he doesn't feature this season, or he gets less time than McTominay

Status
Not open for further replies.