5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

Yeah he was good in preseason last year, didnt get many opportunities but didnt take them either. I dont understand why Mourinho played him as the ancho man, isnt good enough defensively or clued up to whats around him to play that role. All very well trying a Pirlo if you are a dominating side, which we certainly are not currently.

Still think he is a talented player who just needs a run of games and confidence, but I think he can be a valuable squad player rather than a first team player.....that kind of negates against the gaining confidence though
Had a run of games twice in Spain

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Scholes and Pirlo actually had superb natural ability. Andreas does an occasional long shot or cross and people think he is Xavi! I just don't know when he was ever good. Reminds me of Cleverley
While Andreas doesn't have the ability of Pirlo and Scholes, he does have some ability. I've seen the luxury player tag being used here too, and I can sort of agree to that. He has a good shot from distance and generally good set-pieces. He has a decent cross on him too. If he was quicker, he probably would be a winger. He has the ability to turn a man and switch play, in the same way Verratti does. This is why he is playing in midfield, and it makes sense but it also makes sense that it might not be a natural role for him so he does have to work hard to not just be a luxury player and actually be consistent in his strengths and reduce his weaknesses.

Cleverley wasn't as talented, but he did face the same problem of starting out as more of an attacker at first only to be moved into midfield when deemed not quick enough. He struggled with the transition to midfield and got exposed in the long run, but maybe that doesn't happen with Pereira and he goes the other way. We can only hope.

And nobody thinks Pereira is Xavi based on the occasional long pass. You seem to be in denial that he has some sort of talent though. While he is not quite there yet, I've watched him since U21 and I think he has improved in many aspects as a midfielder.

the chameleon

He’ll be 27 in four years. Might be a bit late for him to develop. I mean Rooney was already established at 18.
Lol

Dante

Average bang
He was good today.

And not in the way he's usually good in preseason: as an enthusiastic boy playing against uninterested men.

He was properly good. Like a real, grown-up player.

I still have concerns over his vision and his ability to release the ball quickly. I think I'm yet to see him play a creative pass first time against a senior side. But even without that, his balance, strength and touch were very encouraging.

He's definitely PL level, imo.

TheForgottenOne

He’ll be 27 in four years. Might be a bit late for him to develop. I mean Rooney was already established at 18.
Lol
Yes, and Pirlo got loaned out when he was 20, and again when he was 21. Inter dumped him at age 22. He did not manage to play himself into the base starting lineup untill age 23 and he was 24 before actually managed to play more than 2000 minutes in the Serie A in a single season.

One player isn't the other and there are plenty of examples of players becoming much better at a later age.

It's nice that Rooney was established at 18. He also burned out at age 30, while many top players manage to stay on a high level for much longer.

There is no reason why Pereira can't manage to develop in a lightning speed this year, or the next for that matter.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't know what game you lot were watching, he looked bang average to me. Some decent passing but his ball control when dribbling is not really good enough and he takes ages to set himself the right way for a pass/dribble/shot sometimes. Bit like watching 19 year old Fletcher but with flair at times. Problem is he's not 19, I just don't see it with him.

If it were me I'd get shut of him and sign a DM (Longstaff?) and CM/AM (Fernandes?) giving:

Pogba, Matic, DM, AM, McTominay, Gomes and Garner with Mata/Lingard in the mix at a pinch.

jesperjaap

Had a run of games twice in Spain
True, didnt really see much of him, but wasnt he on the wing a lot of the time? Weird to me how we have so many youngsters we have played out of position, then we loan them out and they are played out of position?

I like Perreira and think he has ability, not sure he is will make it here at all, seems to have stalled maybe partly due to lack of chances, out of position or simply just not quite good enough. See him as a useful squad player but please, if he is used play him as an attacking midfielder where he at least has the chance to shine

Bondi77

I thought he played well.

The way I see it is that he is a better technical player than Herrera but just lacks a little on the defensive side of the game but that should be something that should be easily rectified.

He has a bit of niggle in his game as well which I like and I think he will really benefit from a run of games so he feels like a first teamer and not on the periphery of things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vissy

While Andreas doesn't have the ability of Pirlo and Scholes, he does have some ability. I've seen the luxury player tag being used here too, and I can sort of agree to that. He has a good shot from distance and generally good set-pieces. He has a decent cross on him too. If he was quicker, he probably would be a winger. He has the ability to turn a man and switch play, in the same way Verratti does. This is why he is playing in midfield, and it makes sense but it also makes sense that it might not be a natural role for him so he does have to work hard to not just be a luxury player and actually be consistent in his strengths and reduce his weaknesses.

Cleverley wasn't as talented, but he did face the same problem of starting out as more of an attacker at first only to be moved into midfield when deemed not quick enough. He struggled with the transition to midfield and got exposed in the long run, but maybe that doesn't happen with Pereira and he goes the other way. We can only hope.

And nobody thinks Pereira is Xavi based on the occasional long pass. You seem to be in denial that he has some sort of talent though. While he is not quite there yet, I've watched him since U21 and I think he has improved in many aspects as a midfielder.
Always interesting to hear from people who've watched him for a few years - what would you say his main strengths are? And what has he improved on since his youth years? I was thinking that Pereira is one of the players to watch this season because it's almost a make or break season for him. I wonder what kind of role he'd be most comfortable in.

Grande

He was good today.

And not in the way he's usually good in preseason: as an enthusiastic boy playing against uninterested men.

I still have concerns over his vision and his ability to release the ball quickly. I think I'm yet to see him play a creative pass first time against a senior side. But even without that, his balance, strength and touch were very encouraging.

I agree, it was an encouraging game from him. Like most others, he’s not perfect at this stage of preseason, but it looks like when he gets more into it, we see more movement with decisive purpose, which is the most important aspect of his attacking game to develop.

Defensively, he works well, but needs to improve his awareness to get quicker into defensive position when we lose the ball.

NoPace

At the moment I would say that despite major flaws in his game, his delivery/shooting and effort mean he should be in our first XI (or at least in a battle with Fred), though obviously there's still a while to go in terms of transfers.

Attack: Rashford up top, 1 of Martial/James/Greenwood providing some pace out wide and then we badly need a creative attacker who can hold on the ball and be a target coming short or wide as we're wholly reliant on pace on the counter in a completely unsustainable way

Midfield: Pogba starts, McTominay looks like he has to play because he's strong and mobile and works hard, then a 3rd spot is between Fred and Pereira, though obviously we need to upgrade there barring a stunning adjustment by Fred after a rough first year

Back 4: Picks itself if we sign Maguire

De Gea

Grande

At the moment I would say that despite major flaws in his game, his delivery/shooting and effort mean he should be in our first XI (or at least in a battle with Fred), though obviously there's still a while to go in terms of transfers.

Attack: Rashford up top, 1 of Martial/James/Greenwood providing some pace out wide and then we badly need a creative attacker who can hold on the ball and be a target coming short or wide as we're wholly reliant on pace on the counter in a completely unsustainable way

Midfield: Pogba starts, McTominay looks like he has to play because he's strong and mobile and works hard, then a 3rd spot is between Fred and Pereira, though obviously we need to upgrade there barring a stunning adjustment by Fred after a rough first year

Back 4: Picks itself if we sign Maguire

De Gea
We’ve played a two man midfield for four halves now beginning the preseason, so I’m guessing that will be our main formation going into the season.

Pogba have been paired with McTominay twice, don’t think that’s coincidental, and they’ve been by far the best functioning pairing compared to Pereira/Matic. Pereira has been playing increasingly well, but he’s not going to be starting in a midfield two with Pogba, so per now he’s moe like a Pogba back up.

I’m guessing also, based on tendencies last season, that when Fred is back, he’ll be in front of both McTominay and Pereira. Maybe Ole will also opt for Pogba as a 10 more iften, which will open up space for Pereira to play alongside one of the defensively sounder McFredic trio.

Then again, if we buy a midfielder, that will congest things for him.

Vissy

Agreed, double pivot seems to be the way to go. It's the only way we can really play right now because we do not have anyone capable of playing as a single pivot. Fred is probably the closest one but his skillset is more suited to a #8 role and his first touch & awareness are not adequate to #6.

AkaAkuma

I've not seen the games, but from highlights he looks like he has filled out?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I've not seen the games, but from highlights he looks like he has filled out?
Maybe, not sure but in Leeds game he won 1 tackle using his physical strength. It was surprising as I thought he wasn't that strong.

Bestietom

Don't know if he will ever make it here. I'm not a fan and don't think he is good enough for United.

NoPace

We’ve played a two man midfield for four halves now beginning the preseason, so I’m guessing that will be our main formation going into the season.

Pogba have been paired with McTominay twice, don’t think that’s coincidental, and they’ve been by far the best functioning pairing compared to Pereira/Matic. Pereira has been playing increasingly well, but he’s not going to be starting in a midfield two with Pogba, so per now he’s moe like a Pogba back up.

I’m guessing also, based on tendencies last season, that when Fred is back, he’ll be in front of both McTominay and Pereira. Maybe Ole will also opt for Pogba as a 10 more iften, which will open up space for Pereira to play alongside one of the defensively sounder McFredic trio.

Then again, if we buy a midfielder, that will congest things for him.
I don't disagree as to how we will play, I just cant foresee a situation where we have 2 wide players worth starting every week. 1 starting quality performance from Martial and James seems way more realistic to me, and then a striker like Martial or Greenwood scoring enough goals up top with Rashford to justify their inclusion even if they struggle in all around contribution.

We really do need to sign a right winger desperately whether or not Fred, Mctominay, Matic and Pereira are competing for one spot or 2.

SteveW

He was good today.

I genuinely think it's the first time he's actually played well for us. Not being hyped up for doing a couple of things right but actually playing with some authority and looking like a proper footballer.

Slightly comforting since it looks like we are stuck with him for another season. Any chance he could do it again in a real game?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just have this gut feeling that he'll be a very decent player. The question is whether it will be here or somewhere else.

settembrini

How was he?
Played on the right wing so not ideal for him but he didn't do anything wrong and pressed fantastically. Inter couldn't get anything going at all when we played our second XI because Pereira, Chong, McTominay, Fred etc just pressed them to death.

DarkRed

Played on the right wing so not ideal for him but he didn't do anything wrong and pressed fantastically. Inter couldn't get anything going at all when we played our second XI because Pereira, Chong, McTominay, Fred etc just pressed them to death.
Didn't he played there for Valencia when they took the 4th place and was good there for them?

settembrini

Didn't he played there for Valencia when they took the 4th place and was good there for them?
He played right wing for Valencia when they came 4th but wasn't very good for them. Just 12 league starts and didn't impress their fans from what I remember.
His good loan spell was the year before at Granada. They got relegated but Pereira played mostly as a central/attacking midfielder and won a lot of acclaim. 34 starts and the most goals + assists out of their squad.

Bondi77

I thought he played well and put himself about.
When Inter decided they were getting nothing out of the game and resorted to kicking lumps out of the youngsters Andreas was having none of it and gave them a bit of their own medicine.
I think he could be good for us this season and if we get set pieces in threatening positions I want him to tell Pogba and Rash to jog on and just give me the ball.

Red71

I like his temperament and how he hit back at Skriniar. He can be a good player for us.
Yeah, this! Would like to see more of that this season. Sick of other clubs thinking they can take liberties with us. We need to knock that on the head because I think we’ve been a bit soft for too long, not like in the SAF days.

The older heads will have to look after the youngsters too now as plenty of teams are going to try and bully them out of games so good on Andreas...

jesperjaap

He is technically a very good player, he hasnt had a run of games here and doesnt seem to have found an ideal position. NOt sure he will get that run of games and his ideal position certainly isnt as an anchor man where he was played last season......and he isnt that young now either.

Think if he gained a lot of confidence and had a bit of luck he could be a very good player, but I dotn see him becoming anymore than a squad player to be honest

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He does have good technical ability but suffers from the same condition as Fred, their technique is inconsistent even on a minute by minute basis, it's clear they're capable of brilliance but they're just as capable of doing something awful. That said, he's looked solid so far. I think in the coming years, if he sticks around, he'll prove to be a very valuable squad player for us.

Web of Bissaka

He played right wing for Valencia when they came 4th but wasn't very good for them. Just 12 league starts and didn't impress their fans from what I remember.
His good loan spell was the year before at Granada. They got relegated but Pereira played mostly as a central/attacking midfielder and won a lot of acclaim. 34 starts and the most goals + assists out of their squad.
Majority as LM, left midfielder, sort of like the traditional winger role, up and down, sticking near the touchline, helped their LB a lot defensively while delivering a lot of crosses deeper position and by the byline, one-on-one dribbling and cutting inside to shoot.

Played some games at RM, CM and CAM.

Web of Bissaka

He is technically a very good player, he hasnt had a run of games here and doesnt seem to have found an ideal position. NOt sure he will get that run of games and his ideal position certainly isnt as an anchor man where he was played last season......and he isnt that young now either.

Think if he gained a lot of confidence and had a bit of luck he could be a very good player, but I dotn see him becoming anymore than a squad player to be honest
Yeah, looking more likely to be a squad player, jack of all trade, can play across all the midfielder positions and wingers upfront.

I was hoping he would start stealing a place at CAM or RW, the two positions that doesn't have permanent player so far. The positions are still open. No way he's getting chance at LW.

CAM - workrate, going deep to receive and recycle possession + help our two CMs, and fully use his shooting threat at #10.
RW - workrate, good crossing ability, more spaces to do his good ball-carrying skills, and wide passing range.

jesperjaap

Yeah, looking more likely to be a squad player, jack of all trade, can play across all the midfielder positions and wingers upfront.

I was hoping he would start stealing a place at CAM or RW, the two positions that doesn't have permanent player so far. The positions are still open. No way he's getting chance at LW.

CAM - workrate, going deep to receive and recycle possession + help our two CMs, and fully use his shooting threat at #10.
RW - workrate, good crossing ability, more spaces to do his good ball-carrying skills, and wide passing range.
I agree thinking he woul dbe best as an attacking midfielder and probabl best as a number 10, problem being we have had so many number 10s thelast decade out of position as we dont even play one

Status
Not open for further replies.