Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

No he couldn't

In no world do you get a red card in the Premier League for that.
But why give the referee the option that he can give the red card? Like a poster earlier mentioned, the german commentators were interpeting it as a possible red card. The Dutch commentators did the same.

Brainless player
Overall i think this is the best way summarize Andreas Pereira as a football player. Not just because of that moment with Sterling but also because of the position he took when James ran with the ball or in other games when he takes a shot when it clearly is the wrong option. He seems to have a good attitude and even his technical ability isnt bad but he just isnt a very smart footballer. Maybe it can improve with time and experience but he shouldnt be improving that at Manchester United but at a club like Watford...

Devil may care

It was hilarious watching Pep lose his shit over Andreas deliberate foul to stop the counter, that's pretty much a trademark Pep team move.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
But why give the referee the option that he can give the red card? Like a poster earlier mentioned, the german commentators were interpeting it as a possible red card. The Dutch commentators did the same.
He's not given him the option because it's not a red card. No one has ever been sent off in the Premier league for that sort of challenge (and no, it was nothing like Wayne Rooney's red card.) so why would they start now?

Thought a tackle from behind was a red card.
That's like a thing that has always been said but it isn't in the laws of the game.

Irrational.

Used to be so good at youth level. Thought for sure he'd be a star
Yeah he's been quite disappointing since coming into senior football. He's another Macheda/ Januzaj. Doesn't have what it takes to make the step up. Also no idea what his actual position is. Winger? Too slow. #10? Decision making poor. CDM? Gives away too many fouls/ passing not good enough. Doesn't really do anything well, kind of a jack of all trades.

Bestietom

He's not given him the option because it's not a red card. No one has ever been sent off in the Premier league for that sort of challenge (and no, it was nothing like Wayne Rooney's red card.) so why would they start now?

That's like a thing that has always been said but it isn't in the laws of the game.
Zero tolerance for the tackle from behind
Prior to the 1998 World Cup, FIFA made the tackle from behind a red card offence. He could have been sent off mate.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Added a much needed energy to the side, especially when City started to really dominate and peg us back. His tackle on Sterling was really bad, though. I recall Rooney getting a red for something similar against West Ham.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Zero tolerance for the tackle from behind
Prior to the 1998 World Cup, FIFA made the tackle from behind a red card offence. He could have been sent off mate.
That's an article from 1998!!

Look at the actual laws of the game... Zero mentions of tackles from behind

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
serious foul play
biting or spitting at someone
violent conduct
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
receiving a second caution in the same match
entering the video operation room (VOR)
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

fps

Pereira’s challenge was obviously going to get a yellow and he did it deliberately. It was a good yellow to get, smart foul. No clue why anyone here would consider that being a red, unless they haven’t watched any football before.

Bestietom

That's an article from 1998!!

Look at the actual laws of the game... Zero mentions of tackles from behind
Yes , I know all the rules,. This Rule haven't been enforced in England as much as in other Countries, where it is a sending off. He could easily have got a red card if it was Europa League game. That's all I'm saying

El Zoido

It wasn’t a red, but he could have stopped him without flat out kicking him. Just get close and bundle him over. At least you give yourself a slim chance of getting away with it.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah he's been quite disappointing since coming into senior football. He's another Macheda/ Januzaj. Doesn't have what it takes to make the step up. Also no idea what his actual position is. Winger? Too slow. #10? Decision making poor. CDM? Gives away too many fouls/ passing not good enough. Doesn't really do anything well, kind of a jack of all trades.
Anyways been a fan of this lad, but unfortunately I haven't seen the step up to this level that is required so far. His commitment is first class, and that could be where his problems lay. He seems too keen to get in and mix it with the opposition straight from the off, where as perhaps he should build himself into the game. I'm not a football manager, so I would be unsure where to play him for the betterment of the team, and with Pogba seemingly available again soon, the possibility of signings in January, and the emergence of Garner, Gomes, Levitt etc, I think he has few games left to prove his worth. Would love to see him make it, but he may have missed the boat.

Stadjer

Pereira’s challenge was obviously going to get a yellow and he did it deliberately. It was a good yellow to get, smart foul. No clue why anyone here would consider that being a red, unless they haven’t watched any football before.
Great argument... :houllier:

As mentioned before a German and Dutch commentator, independant of eachother, mentioned that a red card couldnt be excluded. You know... people who literally watch football as a job. Same for the posters here, i am pretty sure they watched football before.

And no, it wasnt a smart foul. He did have to make the foul but he didnt do it in a smart way at all. That is what people are argueing about.

And yes, in most situations in England he wouldnt get a red card. In a European game the chances of getting a red card would have been higher and personally i wouldnt even mind if they changed to rules so kicking someone with force, from behind, without any intention of getting the ball but just to stop play would be punished with a red card.

Bestietom

As mentioned before a German and Dutch commentator, independant of eachother, mentioned that a red card couldnt be excluded. You know... people who literally watch football as a job. Same for the posters here, i am pretty sure they watched football before.

And no, it wasnt a smart foul. He did have to make the foul but he didnt do it in a smart way at all. That is what people are argueing about.

And yes, in most situations in England he wouldnt get a red card. In a European game the chances of getting a red card would have been higher and personally i wouldnt even mind if they changed to rules so kicking someone with force, from behind, without any intention of getting the ball but just to stop play would be punished with a red card.
You are Correct. But unfortunately a lot of people watch football without knowing the Rules.

fps

I'd love to see a concrete example cited of someone getting a red card for that, I've never seen it. A commentator's job is to create talking points to maintain interest, some will say anything to do so. This person writes about football for a living, and they've decided to go down the route of Rashford's penalty against Man City as a debate. But it's not a debate, it was a clear penalty. Does this mean I should take seriously the view? No.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...er-City-derby-Anthony-Taylor-Rashford-penalty

And yes it was a smart foul. Not *how* he did the foul but the decision to take the player down so he couldn't get through was smart. In previous matches I've even posted that Pereira having come on was unable to tactically foul someone when he tried to. I'm glad he made no mistake in doing it this time.

Djemba-Djemba

Dermot Gallagher, former ref, said today on Sky Sports he thinks it was as close to a red card as you can get and pointed out Granit Xhaka was sent off for something similar.

I have to admit, I was worried he'd be given a red. There is an art to doing these sort of tactical fouls, you have to make it look like it's just an accidental trip.

If you just blatantly kick the opposition you run the risk of the ref sending you off.

Kostov

Same thing happened at my broadcast (Serbian or Croatian commentator) mentioned a red card because he is total hypocrite and a Liverpool fan, if it was a Scouse player doing it (or probably any other club except United) he wouldn’t be talking shit like that.

Stadjer

Used to be so good at youth level. Thought for sure he'd be a star
He wasnt anything special in Spain though.

I didnt like that Mourinho refused to use him and never gave him a chance. Ole now has given him a chance and it turns out he just isnt good enough.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah this is the most disappointing bit about him. His youth team performances promised so much more.
He showed skill and technique but tbh he never showed anything outstanding physically or mentally. Can't say I'm surprised he never stepped up to the required level.

criticalanalysis

I really would like to know what Carrick is doing behind the scenes. I mean for all we know maybe he's responsible for the McFred partnership and their individual improvements but is Peirera getting coached here?

Son

He wasnt anything special in Spain though.

I didnt like that Mourinho refused to use him and never gave him a chance. Ole now has given him a chance and it turns out he just isnt good enough.
I watched him for Valencia too and was wondering what he was actually good at then a bit like now. Back when they had Guedes flying down their wing and Pereira doing a whole lot of nothing.

He’s technically sound but really a mid table La Liga player at best. His poor ball retention automatically makes him void for big clubs like United. His crossing can be deadly but he just doesn’t have the physical assets to get to the wing and make that a constant threat.

keener

I agree with those that think he's not really a Manchester United player long term. I think we should move him on after this season. I'd prefer not to see him in the lineup unless it's a low level cup game.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You can see why he was highly rated coming up. One of those players that needs time on the ball because he doesn't think quick enough when a good pressing team is on him. Was horrendous the first half, then looked class after we scored and AZ dropped off. Won't ever be a top level player but could be someone who is very good in a slower league.

mu4c_20le

Finally got to see a bit of the brazilian in him. Can't believe some in the match thread were calling for him to be the first one sold at the club, ahead of Mata and Matic.

Bwuk

Decent but too predictable in that he’s always going to shoot if he’s got any chance of getting a shot off.

meamth

I believe in Pereira, all he needs is another step up of confidence.

One more push Andreas, you can make it.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We need to put an ankle bracelet on him that shocks him any time he attempts to come back into our own half.

Keep him as far away from any shred of responsibility and he might look like a footballer.

Last edited:

Stadjer

Decent but too predictable in that he’s always going to shoot if he’s got any chance of getting a shot off.
Im pretty sure he just doesnt see the passing options. When he has a bit of space he will shoot. It worked last season against Southampton though...

Just not a smart player i think... not the footballing brain required for a top team.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Best player on the pitch 2nd half for me

Ainu

He showed some great skills in the second half but still made several terrible decisions. He just strikes me as an ego player, only interested in individual skills and ill-advised long shots. His vision seems incredibly limited.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Where's that Andreas been all his life? Skills galore :drool:
This is a Depay syndrome. He is clearly capable of doing amazing things with a ball, which is something that every United fan that followed our academy would tell you, but he just doesn't have the speed of thought to do it at the top level. Hence why Pereira is quite good at set pieces and can produce an incredible cross or a shot when he is not under direct pressure. And when he has a little more time and a little less pressure, he can showcase his whole arsenal.

SAFMUTD

Thats his level, he’ll be q good player for a team in a medium league like the eredivise.

Status
Not open for further replies.