Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Never been a big fan of his, but as the tour has been going so far our best midfielders have been Pogba, McTominay and Pereira IMO. Gomes can also play in that #10 but I don't think he will get a lot of league games this year...

meamth

He just needs a run of good games to finally perform at the level we expected at United.

Let's hope he could turn it on this season.

Grande

Of all the midfielders fighting for midfield in the first half - Pogba, McTominay, Winks, Ndombele, Sissoko and Alli, I thought him and McTominay were the two best.

Maybe he has the level in him after all?

Litch

He's a player but I suspect his best football like the last tour is a more European style of football. In the prem his weaknesses are more apparent. He's not the answer for me but a good squad player.

LingiBW

I wonder what happens to him, Lingard and Mata in terms of first team opportunities if Fernandes is signed?

SATA

Maybe his two stints in Spain has toughen him up aggresively in a good way in standing up for teammates. I love seeing little things like that in a team who fights for one another

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ole & co’s decision to move him further up the midfield lines up perfectly with his strengths and weaknesses.

He is an absolute liability defensively but puts it in a good shift running around - slot him into #10.
Has decent creativity, quick feet, great shot and corner - slot him into #10

The only thing I hate about this guy that I keep seeing for the past 5 seasons - his mental RPM. It’s one of the reasons you want him 100 miles away from our defensive third. He WILL lose the ball when in possession in a high defensive risk position because his brain runs on dial up. Flip it the other way and you see how frustrating that can be in forward positions too. It’s not as dangerous as conceding possession in our half but it kills a lot of killer through balls.

He had a few of those moments today. I’m glad he still managed to play a simple ball into martial.

I keep saying that he’ll grow out of that mental brain fart but he continues to show us that he lacks that elite footballer brain unfortunately.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Good game today, definitely staking a claim for the third midfield slot that's available next to Pogba and McTominay. I still think Lingard will start the season there against Chelsea at least, but If Andreas continues playing well hopefully he'll get plenty of opportunities to move ahead in the battle.

AR87

I don't think Pereira is good enough to be a starting 10 for us if we hope to compete for a title, but we're not looking to compete at that level this year. I can understand playing in a 4-2-3-1 with Matic looking like he's past his sell by date, and Fred having a late start to preseason and not covering himself in glory last year, why Longstaff, with his ability to operate in a double pivot comfortably, being a higher priority than Fernandes or a 10 in general. For one year, I think Pereira, Lingard, Mata, and Gomes can do the job for us.

Stacks

Played very well today and I see many posters falling into the pre season hypnosis. Players form in pre season is little indication of the season they will have. I wasn't even going to watch these games as I feel they teach me little but we have a lot of time at work so I find a stream. I feel I have seen enough of Andreas that I cannot see him starting regular for a serious team and maybe used in the Carling cup and Europa games would be fair

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Always kills it in pre-season, but I think he'll still struggle with the same issue as Fred in that he struggles more than anything with concentration in the intensity of the premier league. Will get caught on the ball when deeper and sometimes takes too long, though hopefully he'll iron that out once the season starts.

I know people love the fight, but there's a difference in the fight and fair but slightly dirty streak that Herrera had, and the way Pereira does it. I swear he looks like a red card waiting to happen every time he slide tackles. Needs to massively tone that down. Nothing wrong with being a tough tackler and being aggressive, but there's a limit (and most of his tackles are past that limit).

jesperjaap

Ole & co’s decision to move him further up the midfield lines up perfectly with his strengths and weaknesses.

He is an absolute liability defensively but puts it in a good shift running around - slot him into #10.
Has decent creativity, quick feet, great shot and corner - slot him into #10

The only thing I hate about this guy that I keep seeing for the past 5 seasons - his mental RPM. It’s one of the reasons you want him 100 miles away from our defensive third. He WILL lose the ball when in possession in a high defensive risk position because his brain runs on dial up. Flip it the other way and you see how frustrating that can be in forward positions too. It’s not as dangerous as conceding possession in our half but it kills a lot of killer through balls.

He had a few of those moments today. I’m glad he still managed to play a simple ball into martial.

I keep saying that he’ll grow out of that mental brain fart but he continues to show us that he lacks that elite footballer brain unfortunately.
Well the nail on the head with what you say is why did Mourinho try and turn him into an anchor man....again then people were raving about him in preseason with his ball playing skills, was always madness to me.

I like him and see him more as an early Scholes type attacking midfielder. Not sure I see him as more than a very good squad player but with a bit of confidence I do think he can be a really good player, but time is ticking really. Also not sure how he fits in with our other midfielders, especially Pogba AND also think Gomes is probably going to be a better option. Do think he can work well with McTominay and another quality defensive midfielder but is that a starting midfield for us?

Zoo

For the way Ole wants to press Andreas is one of the best we have.

Foxbatt

Nasty player he is and he can dish it out too. He is quick and once he gets the knack of releasing the ball at the right time he would be a much better player. He can dribble and he is quick and he can shoot too. He also puts in a good corner from both sides.

passing-wind

He's absolutely garbage.

Pereria / Jones are reminiscent of the historic tales of a girl on the mountain who saved a troubled snakes life only to be bitten after providing it to safety. The club is giving these guys a living and they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. The reason why these types of players are incapable of performing when it matters, is because they are simply put rubbish professionals. It's in their nature to underachieve when the bar is too high.

Don't believe pre season hype it has no relevance to the competitiveness and higher level that is prevalent in domestic league / european fixtures.

Fans have a misconception that because a given player plays for a Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich they are automatically the highest calibre of professional in world football. That is anything further than the truth, I can't think of one team, not one club in the top 11 who would benefit with these two dross in their starting 11. The difference with us and the other elite clubs mentioned is when they spot a bad egg they dispose of it, we instead give it new contracts and elongate it's sell by period to the extent we can't even get rid of it. Absolute joke.

passing-wind

Nasty player he is and he can dish it out too. He is quick and once he gets the knack of releasing the ball at the right time he would be a much better player. He can dribble and he is quick and he can shoot too. He also puts in a good corner from both sides.
This is on the basis of one pre season game, watch every single fixture he contributed in last season and I'll summarise for you the only things he's good at... Making up the squad numbers.

He cannot pass, has no positional awareness, no awareness of space, he gets dispossessed easily, doesn't read the game well, can't shift himself beyond the opposition, no creativity to his game, technically inept, the only thing going for him is that he has a decent shot that's about it.

Red_toad

I wonder how we’re going to line up on the first day of the season. We’ve 1 midfielder with the ability to anticipate runs, the same guy who has lost a certain amount of mobility to track runners. I can certainly see why Ole was after Longstaff, but without him we’re a tad screwed when Matic gets fatigued. Pereira has yet again had a good tour, but we’ll have to see how that translates into the season.

Stacks

He would have scored the free kick that Young butchered as well.

He was superb today and led the charge to give a filthy Spurs outfit some of their own medicine.

My team to start the season:

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
McTominay Pogba
Rashford Pereira James
Martial

Romero, Dalot, Young, Smalling, Fred, Mata, Greenwood​
Oppo fans quaking in their boots

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's absolutely garbage.

Pereria / Jones are reminiscent of the historic tales of a girl on the mountain who saved a troubled snakes life only to be bitten after providing it to safety. The club is giving these guys a living and they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. The reason why these types of players are incapable of performing when it matters, is because they are simply put rubbish professionals. It's in their nature to underachieve when the bar is too high.

Don't believe pre season hype it has no relevance to the competitiveness and higher level that is prevalent in domestic league / european fixtures.

Fans have a misconception that because a given player plays for a Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich they are automatically the highest calibre of professional in world football. That is anything further than the truth, I can't think of one team, not one club in the top 11 who would benefit with these two dross in their starting 11. The difference with us and the other elite clubs mentioned is when they spot a bad egg they dispose of it, we instead give it new contracts and elongate it's sell by period to the extent we can't even get rid of it. Absolute joke.
Bit harsh but I agree with you, he’s not good enough. With his physique you need a player with great footballing acumen to succeed as a CM, I just don’t see it with him.

diarm

Oppo fans quaking in their boots
Couldn't give a shit about opposition fans to be honest. I just want to enjoy watching a United side again, win or lose.

If we bring this preseason style of play into the league season it'll go a long way towards that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wonder how we’re going to line up on the first day of the season. We’ve 1 midfielder with the ability to anticipate runs, the same guy who has lost a certain amount of mobility to track runners. I can certainly see why Ole was after Longstaff, but without him we’re a tad screwed when Matic gets fatigued. Pereira has yet again had a good tour, but we’ll have to see how that translates into the season.
Hopefully Ole has made his mind up about Pereira, in that he's not suited to playing in deep midfield, but more of an attacking midfielder, which is what he is and where he played yesterday. We currently have three players capable of playing a deeper role. Pogba if he's got a partner, and Scott and Nemanja. Like Ole said, Scott is more of a #8 and we all know Matic can't be playing 2 games a week.

We'll sign that Longstaff kid presumably. Wonder how far off Garner is from being ready for the step up.

jackal&hyde

Agree with that. I think he can be a more talented version of Lingard, and that's no bad thing. His attitude was also spot on. Ole must really have fired up the squad.

WR10

Agree with that. I think he can be a more talented version of Lingard, and that's no bad thing. His attitude was also spot on. Ole must really have fired up the squad.
He could but that’s not saying much. He is fired up but he’s always been a fire cracker even in his youth days for us.

He should be no where near our first team this season based on his lack of mental rpm that I talked about in my post

jackal&hyde

He could but that’s not saying much. He is fired up but he’s always been a fire cracker even in his youth days for us.

He should be no where near our first team this season based on his lack of mental rpm that I talked about in my post
I know what you mean and i'd say let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now as everyone starts from 0 in a new system and a new mentality. Sometimes players can improve dramatically in all aspects after a few big changes in plays style and atmosphere. The caf darling Fernandes was not all that in a few seasons in Italy but just look at him now.

WR10

I know what you mean and i'd say let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now as everyone starts from 0 in a new system and a new mentality. Sometimes players can improve dramatically in all aspects after a few big changes in plays style and atmosphere. The caf darling Fernandes was not all that in a few seasons in Italy but just look at him now.
That’s fair and I do agree a working system of play can usually accommodate individual players’ weaknesses. Let’s see if 5/6th times a charm this season for Andreas

Charlie Foley

Anyone else listen to his quick interview with Andy Mitten the other day? Seems to have a good attitude. Spoke about feeling positive coming into last season and then when Ole came in, but that he made mistakes against Burnley (I think in the 2-2) and Ole took him out saying he needs to calm down to play that position.

Mitten asked him what position he sees himself playing this season. He answered “8” very quickly and then said or 10 or he could play out wide too (usual I’ll play anywhere stick).

POF

The role he played against Spurs was really interesting. Initially, I thought it was odd that he played as a number 10 but it seems that Ole is looking for someone in that role with a lot of mobility to lead the press.

It suggests players like Pereira, Lingard and maybe Bruno Fernandez will suit that role rather than a more creative 10. I think a more creative 10 like Mata or Gomes will only play there when chasing the game or against a parked bus.

I really like his attitude and he shows flashes of his talent but his final ball is very inconsistent. He'll get plenty of chances this season. Hopefully he can step up.

El Jefe

Taking his quality or lack thereof aside, has there been a bigger shithouse of a player for us than Pereira in recent years. He spends half the game giving away freekicks by lunging into tackles or just kicking the heels of players. To make it worse he seems to have no form of sportsmanship at all, he almost always ignores handshakes from fellow pros and looks to pick fights after ignoring them.

Onto his actual quality, he is a nothing player. Good shot and set pieces but he is a total liability on and off the ball. Has zero positional sense, careless with the ball and most importantly a foul machine who is terrible in defensive phases of play.

His contract extension was an embarrassment and if we are relying on him to be a valuable member of our midfield we are fecked.

Litch

And they give Fred stick....one has had one season and the other been given more opportunities than most...

Ace of Spades

He was fine. Not the most effective out wide, but he defended fairly well, along with AWB.

DoomSlayer

Good enough to be a squad player but not a starter and never should be. Gomes should get more chances as the 10 because he is twice as talented.

Last edited:

R'hllor

As a squad player, he is alright, he has that fire in him, rarely taking anybody shit. Good enough to take minutes when starter needs a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.