Player Agent: Kia Joorabchian
Current club:
Manchester United
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Mar 12, 2019
Outfitter: Nike​

LingiBW

This should be last chance saloon season for him. Nothing less than a 6.0/10 all season.

Mickson

Always highly rated, but for me, he's always been a highlight-player. He can score the odd beautiful goal, but I don't think he has enough to his game to motivate all the game time he's getting. He's 24 in less than six months, and he still looks like a kid out there. His biggest problem is that he doesn't really fit in position wise. Not smart enough and strong enough for the holding midfielder role, not technical and fast enough for a number 10 role. Too slow to play on the wing. He's okayish, but I've never rated him. A bit surprised that nobody is questioning his long-term contract. What has he actually done to deserve that?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
As a back up depth midfielder who gets the odd start/token sub, he's fine. Don't see any path of progression that leads to him being a starter here though.

AshRK

Good squad player, thats it. Mctominay has looked better than him.

SteveW

As a back up depth midfielder who gets the odd start/token sub, he's fine. Don't see any path of progression that leads to him being a starter here though.
The problem we have right now is that he will probably need to play 20+ games next season if we don't get another 1 or 2 CMs in. That terrifies me

Dinghy

Looked a much better player 3-4 years ago. That's not a good sign.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The problem we have right now is that he will probably need to play 20+ games next season if we don't get another 1 or 2 CMs in. That terrifies me
Not sure about that. Maybe in all comps, but that's standard squad player appearances.
If we're starting with a double pivot in a 4231, it's Pogba/Matic or Pogba/McTominay or Matic/McTominay. If it's a midfield 3, then them 3 likely together, or Fred first replacement for McTominay/Matic. If Pogba is injured in a 3, Mata comes in the middle as the 10. Behind him, you have Lingard who could come in, or Gomes competing with Pereira. He'll get games because of rotation in the league cup and the Europa league, but not too worried about that.

Nickosaur

As a central mid, McTominay should be getting minutes over him.
As an attacking mid, Gomes should be getting minutes over him.

Dont really see a future for him at United.

SteveW

Not sure about that. Maybe in all comps, but that's standard squad player appearances.
If we're starting with a double pivot in a 4231, it's Pogba/Matic or Pogba/McTominay or Matic/McTominay. If it's a midfield 3, then them 3 likely together, or Fred first replacement for McTominay/Matic. If Pogba is injured in a 3, Mata comes in the middle as the 10. Behind him, you have Lingard who could come in, or Gomes competing with Pereira. He'll get games because of rotation in the league cup and the Europa league, but not too worried about that.
Nope. Mata and Lingard rarely if ever played in the midfield 3 last season.

Pogba, Matic and Herrera were the 3 with Fred, Andreas and McTomminay coming in if there were injuries. Herrera is gone. How many of the other 5 would you rely on?

Raven

Thought he did okay today. Was tidy on the ball, Perth with their flat back 10 killed us, especially with Chong and James being traditional pacey wingers. I felt we improved in the second half mainly because Gomes and Greenwood are far more technical players and we were able to play around their defence a lot more.

Bwuk

He’s technically very good, the issue is he doesn’t impose himself in games. He’s a bit of nothing player. Said it for a while now, for his sake he should leave and go somewhere he can play every week because the talent is there.

JoaquinJoaquin

Not sure why that big contract was handed to him. Half decent player, but not the type to push us on.

Welbeckham

I’m not convinced with him. Only reason why he should get any playing time is that Fred and Matic aren’t really any better, but all three should get nowhere near our starting XI. We need new midfielders.

With Rashford, Martial, Lingard, James, Greenwood, Gomes, Mata, there’s shouldn’t be much room in the more offensive roles either.

JoaquinJoaquin

I’m not convinced with him. Only reason why he should get any playing time is that Fred and Matic aren’t really any better, but all three should get nowhere near our starting XI. We need new midfielders.

With Rashford, Martial, Lingard, James, Greenwood, Gomes, Mata, there’s shouldn’t be much room in the more offensive roles either.
I still think Fred is much better tbh. Ideal scenario is we buy a new midfielder than either don't have to start.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I doubt he'll last here in the long term but I doubt we'll get rid of him any time soon, he's a decent midfielder and squad player who didn't cost us anything. I reckon we'll get a decent fee when we do eventually sell him.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Not sure the point of his renewal. Not close to good enough and he doesn't have much sale value if that's what we're trying to protect. Don't think any premier league teams would interested. Maybe lower half of laliga

haram

Guy should be a reserve for a team like Wolves.

Saying that they are right behind us.

SATA

Not sure if he's better as a winger or a centre mid. He's neither here nor there when he's playing. Offers good shooting ability and can get stuck in, passing not as good as i thought, pretty average all round

R'hllor

Dunno about this one, hope he has good season as squad player i guess, he should be used in EL for sure.

SNes

He should be sold, he's done nothing to deserve a new contract but got rewarded anyway.

Web of Bissaka

:D Okay, harsh comments so far here, but understandable and fair enough. What he's gonna do this season is more important than last season. Isn't it more reasonable that we should give him a bit more games before already decided he's not good enough.

One new thing I like which he added into his arsenal from the first half is the 2-3 driving runnings into the box he made from deep positions.
:smirk: Carrick's influence? runs into box from deep.

Nice runs, but need to improve the receiving.
Good threat to have, with our 3-4 attackers being heavily marked and tend to position themselves outside the box, those runs from deep can split open defense.

Web of Bissaka

He should be sold, he's done nothing to deserve a new contract but got rewarded anyway.
To retain sale value.

Before the new contract, he got less than 6 months left to freely negotiate with new club and left end of season.

In addition to I guess for Ole to get some sort of assurance he's staying so he can freely use him in games since there's no reason to use a player who is likely to leave after running down his contract, better to use other players who are staying instead.

Grande

I thought myself last season, ‘he’s not going to be a starter here, is he?’. Which means I don’t exclude the possibility, but I think it pretty unlikely to happen.

Still I think he’s by no means as bad that prolonging his contract is a bad idea, or that it’s going to be a problem if he needs to play 20 games this season.

The contract issue is more about him being on low salary anyway, and we’ll get more money for him in case of a sale, regardless if it’s now or in several seasons. He’s 23, he’s not going to drop in value for a while.

Is he very bad? I don’t think so. He has played at a good level at no 10 and at LW for Granada, he’s played pretty ok as mostly a right-sided midfielder for Valencia, he’s had a very good preseason as a number 6 for us, and some okayish to underwhelming stop-start games for us as 6 or 8 for us this last year, largely while we have struggled as a team.

He has good all over technique, and has shown the will to buckle down and learn new roles less glorious than the ones he probably dreamed of. He’s young at 23, but he’s even you ger in the sense that he’s had little learning time in the roles we are now using him in. He’s not going to develop into a David Silva in a year, but he’s not going to be much worse than Wijnaldum as a no 8 if he improves steadily in that role in a team that functions.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah he was class today in fairness, he's got some very good passes in his locker.

arthurka

I think he will come good, he has some great things in his locker.
He will only get better with more minutes.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wonderful midfield performance. Has the potential to run matches in the future as long as he stays on this path. I like him a lot as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.