Andreas Pereira vs Jesse Lingard

PoTMS

I don't think Pereira has to worry about playing for another big club. He's lucky enough he plays for United.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I can't believe Andreas said that. He needs a reality check. He is 24 and has shown very little promise that he is a good, let alone great, player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Dya think there’s a chance with someone like pereira that it all clicks and he becomes a much better player for us in his mid 20s like fletcher did? Is that what the coaches are seeing? If I could sell both and get one good player I’d be happy enough with that. Lower PL is both of their current levels

flappyjay

I can't believe Andreas said that. He needs a reality check. He is 24 and has shown very little promise that he is a good, let alone great, player.
Good lord, is there a chance a bunch of our crap players think they are Madrid and Barca quality. If this is in his mind he might think that he has already made it as a player.

redshaw

They wouldn't make the Barca or Madrid B team but we could drop them off at the Bernabeu and Nou Camp and see what happens.

dalriada

This is part of Pereira's problem - I think he really believes he's a much better player than everyone else sees. Even when he first came into the first team, he was posting on social media with images of himself in heroic, Cantona-like poses. During Van Gaal's time there was talk of him complaining that he was only on the bench so often because Louis used him as an interpreter (he speaks Dutch, French, Portuguese, Spanish and English).
I have to say I don't like a lot of the lazy abuse that's thrown at out-of-favour players here and elsewhere, but the reality is that he's a limited player. He's in the aquad because he's supposed to be versatile, but he's really only any use in a number 8/10 position, and there are better options there.

dalriada

Of the two, you have to say that Lingard seems the more likely to go, assuming there are any player movements out in these odd circumstances. He will be 28 in December and he must be looking at his time at Utd and how little he has to show for it. The constant criticism and abuse directed at him reminds me of Tom Cleverley's last seasons, when he was clearly weary of it, and it must affect a player.

He's not on a huge salary, but high enough for the club to want to offload him. Ole also seems to have a Ferguson-like distaste for the immature social media behaviour and questionable celebrity connections. The only mitigating factor is the unhappy situation with his mother and family, at the same time as he has a baby daughter, for which you would be prepared to cut him some slack for purely human reasons.

Pereira has none of this baggage. At 24, his Utd career is recoverable in an improving team, he's not on a massive salary and his behaviour has been professional. You still have to think that if there was any exceptional talent, though, we would have seen it by now.

To the extent that you can compare them, Lingard does have pace while Pereira has some good technical skills with the ball at his feet, but neither is enough to warrant a first-team place on a regular basis.

Until the effects of Covid are sorted out, it's guesswork, but my best bet would be Lingard goes at the end of this season and Pereira stays as a backup squad player.

giggslover

I think Lingard is a good player who has lost form partially because he doesn't have that comfort zone of Pogba backing him up.

Though I will always back United players as a whole, Perreria is the only United player in a looong time who I don't see ever winning us a game, but can actually lose it with the wrong pass or decision made at the wrong time.

Reactions: Rood

Ace of Spades

There is very little between them currently, but Lingard has reached higher levels in the past than what Periera has shown so far.

The Original

I honestly don't think Pereira has been given the fairest of chances. In the first game, he played on the right wing and did a good job. We know he can cross, can beat a man once in a while, has decent pace and works hard. Why was he dropped from the right wing instead of being given an extended run out there? Even Dalot has probably played more games on the right flank than he has.

SAFMUTD

I honestly don't think Pereira has been given the fairest of chances. In the first game, he played on the right wing and did a good job. We know he can cross, can beat a man once in a while, has decent pace and works hard. Why was he dropped from the right wing instead of being given an extended run out there? Even Dalot has probably played more games on the right flank than he has.
Because he was shit at it, thats the thing with Pereira he is average at best at every position we’ve tried him. CDM, CM, CAM, RW he’s just not good enough.

Yet from time to time a post like yours arises asking why dont we give him more time in CDM/CM/CAM/RW position?

The harsh truth is he’s not good enough plain and simple.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Because he was shit at it, thats the thing with Pereira he is average at best at every position we’ve tried him. CDM, CM, CAM, RW he’s just not good enough.

Yet from time to time a post like yours arises asking why dont we give him more time in CDM/CM/CAM/RW position?

The harsh truth is he’s not good enough plain and simple.
Very harsh. He's obviously not good enough to be first choice in any position, but he was easily outperforming Lingard and Mata for most of the season. For some reason a lot of people seem to only remember how he played in central midfield (where he was absolutely shit) and extend that to the entire season, but in reality he was actually decent at #10 and right wing.

I actually worked out the stats in January and our results were massively better when we used him in those positions. At the time we were averaging 1 point per game when he didn't play or was played in central midfield, and about 2 points per game when he was #10 or right wing (and we actually had the harder fixture list in those games). It wasn't so much that he was doing anything brilliant in that role, but he was stable in that position so was far better for the team than Lingard and Mata who were actually negatives on the team. As such I would agree that Pereira wasn't treated entirely fairly because he was dropped behind them in the pecking order even after comfortably outperforming them.

Mata did kick into form in the last month before the shut down though, so he did deserve the spot at that stage.

Eddy_JukeZ

This really shouldn't be a discussion.

Lingard at least showed some good form for us.

Andreas has never shown anything.

And both should be binned out the door too.

stevoc

If we were allowed to field 12 players with Lingard and Pereira both occupying the no10 position i reckon we'd still look like we're playing with a man down and a creative vacuum behind the striker.

Both of them playing in tandem in the same position wouldn't work because Pereira always wants the ball despite not being able to do much with it and Lingard always wants to be where the ball isn't.

slored1

Andreas is much much worse than Lingard. Jesse, as bad as he has been in the past 18 months, can be very good on his day, while Pereira has never ever had a good game. Both should go whenever possible though.

Hester_manc

I see Andreas as deadwood in most matches. He is one of the players in the squad I prefer to sell. He can play a good match from time to time, but so can all players in the PL. I see him as a player belonging to a middle club or below. Maybe a club like Crystal Palace or Southampton, if he wants to be a regular player in the starting lineup
He dreams of playing for another major club in Europe, and it is fair enough to have dreams and aspirations. But I don't really see it happening. On the other hand, Martin Braithwaith switched to Barcelona. And although he is better than Andreas, it shows that everything is possible.

Craig Ward

Of the two, you have to say that Lingard seems the more likely to go, assuming there are any player movements out in these odd circumstances. He will be 28 in December and he must be looking at his time at Utd and how little he has to show for it. The constant criticism and abuse directed at him reminds me of Tom Cleverley's last seasons, when he was clearly weary of it, and it must affect a player.

He's not on a huge salary, but high enough for the club to want to offload him. Ole also seems to have a Ferguson-like distaste for the immature social media behaviour and questionable celebrity connections. The only mitigating factor is the unhappy situation with his mother and family, at the same time as he has a baby daughter, for which you would be prepared to cut him some slack for purely human reasons.

Pereira has none of this baggage. At 24, his Utd career is recoverable in an improving team, he's not on a massive salary and his behaviour has been professional. You still have to think that if there was any exceptional talent, though, we would have seen it by now.

To the extent that you can compare them, Lingard does have pace while Pereira has some good technical skills with the ball at his feet, but neither is enough to warrant a first-team place on a regular basis.

Until the effects of Covid are sorted out, it's guesswork, but my best bet would be Lingard goes at the end of this season and Pereira stays as a backup squad player.
Have to agree with this.

Lingards been here forever and shown good form in a selection of games during 1 season. Sometimes it's better to cut losses and move on (something post Fergie we do not tend to do very well).

Both are sellable, but Pereira probably has more use to us as a squad option

Kostov

Pereira has more talent than Lingard, and he still is pretty fecking shit, that tells you all you need to know about these two. Lingard in particular has had such a lucky streak of shit management and couple of banger, he survived this long at Manchester United. His level of talent is fitting to a relegation PL team and I am being generous. Pereira on the other hand can be useful maybe, but most of the time he plays like lacking any sort of brain.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This really shouldn't be a discussion.

Lingard at least showed some good form for us.

Andreas has never shown anything.

And both should be binned out the door too.
The spectacular thing with these two is that after reading the bolded part I genuinely had no clue which path the rest of the post would take.

Tony247

Both of them and the club should move on. We are 5th for a reason. There are few in current team who can take the club to top 3 and there are few who are not even championship material. Overall squad quality averages out. So let bygone be bygone and move on.

Paul_Scholes18

Crazy how this thread is so bloody long. We are probably stuck with them since buying replacements cost too much. Not sure we have enough quality from the academy and Mata is getting too old.
Although not sure you need a massive squad next season if there is no european football.

The Original

Very harsh. He's obviously not good enough to be first choice in any position, but he was easily outperforming Lingard and Mata for most of the season. For some reason a lot of people seem to only remember how he played in central midfield (where he was absolutely shit) and extend that to the entire season, but in reality he was actually decent at #10 and right wing.

I actually worked out the stats in January and our results were massively better when we used him in those positions. At the time we were averaging 1 point per game when he didn't play or was played in central midfield, and about 2 points per game when he was #10 or right wing (and we actually had the harder fixture list in those games). It wasn't so much that he was doing anything brilliant in that role, but he was stable in that position so was far better for the team than Lingard and Mata who were actually negatives on the team. As such I would agree that Pereira wasn't treated entirely fairly because he was dropped behind them in the pecking order even after comfortably outperforming them.

Mata did kick into form in the last month before the shut down though, so he did deserve the spot at that stage.
Precisely the point I have made previously. Pereira is a useful player on the right and was instrumental on matchday one against Chelsea. He certainly did a better job out there than James, who clearly is more suited to the left.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We will sell Pogba, play Bruno as no.8, and let Lingard and Pereira compete for no.10 again.

They deserve one more chance to settle this once and for all - the worst no.10 in the league

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I used to have much more respect for Andreas. I kinda wanted him to be successful at United. He got loaned out a few times and when He came back, He became a bench warmer. I almost felt sorry for him. For some reason, in my mind He was this hard working, talented Brazilian kid who got lost on the bench with nobody to talk to and yet He still smiled on a daily basis and never caused any problems to his environment.

I've always preferred Andreas. Lingard was done in my eyes and He was done for the second time after a scandal video of his mate shagging a pillow. His antics off the field need to be stopped, I was worried about Rashford because He was becoming as silly as Lingard, bad influences are bad.

But then Andreas came up with something ridiculous like "United aren't the only big club I want to play for" and went on to mention clubs that are currently in better position than Utd. It's like when you've managed to date a girl out of your league and you told her "You're not the only girl I want to date". What is it with average players at the club becoming more and more deluded every season? Lingard is now working with Mino and you can be sure it is not to make him a better player but to get him good deals regardless of his limitations. I guess it's the same with both Lingard and Andreas. They seem to think They've made it when young Darron Gibson had more talent than both of them.

GiddyUp

I used to have much more respect for Andreas. I kinda wanted him to be successful at United. He got loaned out a few times and when He came back, He became a bench warmer. I almost felt sorry for him. For some reason, in my mind He was this hard working, talented Brazilian kid who got lost on the bench with nobody to talk to and yet He still smiled on a daily basis and never caused any problems to his environment.

I've always preferred Andreas. Lingard was done in my eyes and He was done for the second time after a scandal video of his mate shagging a pillow. His antics off the field need to be stopped, I was worried about Rashford because He was becoming as silly as Lingard, bad influences are bad.

But then Andreas came up with something ridiculous like "United aren't the only big club I want to play for" and went on to mention clubs that are currently in better position than Utd. It's like when you've managed to date a girl out of your league and you told her "You're not the only girl I want to date". What is it with average players at the club becoming more and more deluded every season? Lingard is now working with Mino and you can be sure it is not to make him a better player but to get him good deals regardless of his limitations. I guess it's the same with both Lingard and Andreas. They seem to think They've made it when young Darron Gibson had more talent than both of them.
Half our squad have been so far up their own arses since Zlatan left. Now we have got a few good ones in you can see the attitude change. I doubt that has hit home with Lingard. I believe that when you sign that professional contract with a club that's when the hard work starts. I get the feeling from Lingard it's the opposite, the hard work is done and he can wallow in the money even though his best trait as a footballer right now is running away from the ball so others have space to play. Everything about him now says he doesn't belong at this club.
Pereira is the quintessential below average player and like Lingard can have a moment or two of quality that at times masks a terrible career at United. His comments are nothing new for the type of players we've had to endure over the last 6/7 years.
If the club were to keep one for the moment it would have to me Pereira as he would have more value on the international market if it came to using him as part of a bigger piece of business in the future. Lingard I would tell to feck off and let his cnut agent put up or shut up.

lex talionis

Lingard consistently squanders chances in the last third, which is completely intolerable even for a squad player. Andreas, as disappointing as he's been, has his uses as a squad player in different positions and in different tactical situations.

SAFMUTD

Thats not saying much is it? Lingard is in schoking form and hasnt contributed barelely anithing in the last year, while Mata seems to have aged and is has showned a really poor level the last 2 seasons so the bar is quite low.

There's a reason why Pereira wasnt used in the last games, he is nowhere near Bruno's level nor he is a decent backup option and either Greenwood or James are far better options on the right wing.

Pereira is already 24, we are not talking about a youngster developing here, he should had started to show good things by now. My frustration is because we tend to keep and overpay this underperformance players until we end up trapped with them because no one will pay the wages we do for a player of that quality (Lingard, Jones, Rojo, etc). We need to be more ruthless with these, you either make it or you dont, theres no point in keep giving chances and minutes to players like him or Lingard, just move on.

Maticmaker

Pereira/Lingard, I don't think there is much to choose between them, they both can see things/have the picture in their heads etc. but neither can follow through on such vision on a regular basis, or at least often enough, to make them good players.

Both players for me have had the chances to get better, but are lucky to still be in the first team squad and if all the talk about certain transfers (Jack Grealish for one) go through then they wont' be much longer. Living as they do the 'cotton wool' existence of professional footballers they don't see/or hear any realistic advice... that's if any does come their way!
As the younger of the two Pereira has still got a chance to put things right, but his utterances seem to suggest he's still in cuckoo land.

The Original

Thats not saying much is it? Lingard is in schoking form and hasnt contributed barelely anithing in the last year, while Mata seems to have aged and is has showned a really poor level the last 2 seasons so the bar is quite low.

There's a reason why Pereira wasnt used in the last games, he is nowhere near Bruno's level nor he is a decent backup option and either Greenwood or James are far better options on the right wing.

Pereira is already 24, we are not talking about a youngster developing here, he should had started to show good things by now. My frustration is because we tend to keep and overpay this underperformance players until we end up trapped with them because no one will pay the wages we do for a player of that quality (Lingard, Jones, Rojo, etc). We need to be more ruthless with these, you either make it or you dont, theres no point in keep giving chances and minutes to players like him or Lingard, just move on.
James is not better than Perreira from the right..at all

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I think Lingard is a good player who has lost form partially because he doesn't have that comfort zone of Pogba backing him up.

Though I will always back United players as a whole, Perreria is the only United player in a looong time who I don't see ever winning us a game, but can actually lose it with the wrong pass or decision made at the wrong time.
Seems a bit easy to get a like these days. Lingard is another player where form is temporary but class is permanent. He had a good season under Jose, but that was about it, since then he's been pants. He's been our of 'form' for a couple of years.

Andres always seems like there might be good player in there somewhere, I'm just not sure that it will ever be found.

SAFMUTD

James is not better than Perreira from the right..at all
James is not great, but anyone with two eyes can see he is miles ahead of Pereira in the RW.

Here some statistics from whoscored to back it up:

Daniel James as RW - 12 apps - 1 goal, 4 assists- 6.8 raiting
Andreas Pereira as RW - 5 apps - 0 goals, 0 assists - 6.5 raiting

Actually according to the stats, Andrea's best position is CAM where he has 1 goal and 3 assists in 10 apps and a 6.97 raiting, but yeah no one is going to argue he needs time there because we got Bruno, so lets protect our buddy and create ourself a story about how good he is in another position.

The Original

James is not great, but anyone with two eyes can see he is miles ahead of Pereira in the RW.

Here some statistics from whoscored to back it up:

Daniel James as RW - 12 apps - 1 goal, 4 assists- 6.8 raiting
Andreas Pereira as RW - 5 apps - 0 goals, 0 assists - 6.5 raiting

Actually according to the stats, Andrea's best position is CAM where he has 1 goal and 3 assists in 10 apps and a 6.97 raiting, but yeah no one is going to argue he needs time there because we got Bruno, so lets protect our buddy and create ourself a story about how good he is in another position.
Where did you get those stats? For one Pereira assisted Martial against Chelsea. Never got a look in on the right after that in the premier league did he?