Andreas Pereira vs Jesse Lingard

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thought it was interesting to compare these two seeing as Ole seems to see them as interchangeable in attacking midfield roles - there was some chat about the two of them on the last podcast with @VanGaalyTime describing Pereira as 'the anti-Lingard'!

Looking at some stats, Lingard had the highest passing accuracy (85.5%) of our attacking players whereas Andreas is the lowest (73.3%) apart from Rashford. Andreas also had less touches than anyone else so not looking good for him on the passing stats, although Lingard was also relatively low on touches so both needs to get more involved.
However, Andreas comes out of the game with 1 vital assist and also had 2 successful crosses and 2 successful long balls, compared to zero for Jesse on both counts so clearly he is attempting riskier plays whereas Jesse tends to play safe to keep the ball moving.
Based on this I think Lingard should play centrally and Andreas better off out wide - we were better when they switched to this vs Chelsea.

Obviously shouldnt read too much into 1 match but a lot of this backs up my feelings over time on both players - generally I think we are still to see enough from either to consider them starters but Ole is clearly going to give them both a chance to prove they are upto it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It’s an interesting comparison, as Pereira has that Lingard-esque youth feeling about him, despite being already 23 years old. If there was a way to combine Lingard’s quick thinking with Pereira’s ability, we would’ve had some player on our hands, but, sadly, there isn’t.

I’d agree with your assessment - Lingard centrally, Pereira our wide, where he has more time on the ball to produce great crosses or passes; it’s also worth keeping him on the pitch for his set pieces. Centrally he is a bit lost because he isn’t that great under pressure and his decision-making is quite poor when he’s forced to act quickly. Lingard is, at least, smart enough to balance out Rashford/Martial/Pogba’s movement and to always provide a link up option, even though ultimately he’s just not good enough.

A hard-working number 10 like Eriksen would’ve been perfect :(

freeurmind

weak willed
Much rather have Lingard out there. He helps the tempo of our play and is better at pressing. Not consistent enough technically but the best option we have in that position.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I like both players, but thread title reminded me of the Lukaku vs Morata threads :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Neither are good enough. Right now they are both going to get a lot of games given our poor midfield. If I had to choose one I'd say Lingard.

Alabaster Codify7

Both are tidy squad players that would never get anywhere near the starting 11 of an actual big, successful (currently) side.

OverratedOpinion

I find it really frustrating that we didn't buy a decent midfielder or 2 so Pogba could play that position. Some people don't like him there but he is our best and most creative player and is so threatening when closer to the goal.

As far as these two go I think we already know Lingard isn't a particularly good player and Andreas might develop into one. Andreas also seems to work harder behind the ball too, although he is pretty ineffectual at it.

Crashoutcassius

On the right neither contribute much, andreas will work hard and might have the chance to put a ball in. He has played there a lot in his career.

Centrally lingard does nearly everything better, has good experience contributing defensively and if he is on his day going forward can contribute to some lovely moves. I think it is clear and obvious. But not really sure Andreas is good enough...

Kostov

To put my opinion as simple as it could be done. Lingard wherever played is pretty useless, we've all seen that he is not good enough. With Andreas I'd be willing to give him this season to prove that he can be useful to this team. He's 3 years younger and I think is better with the ball at his feet.

That passing statistic is pretty useless, Lingard played safe as usual, Andreas is capable of long passing but he is yet to put a stamp on a game. If he wants to succeed here, he will have to show more initiative.

I'd be interested to see their running stats. I feel Andreas worked his socks off, just as much as Lingard anyway.

R'hllor

In attacking sense Pereira is better as number 10, better final pass (Lingard biggest weakness), better in set pieces (FKs specially, corners whole club suck at it) , in defensive mode Lingard might be a bit better.

Grande

Just posted this in the Ball tetention thread, but it fits better here:

It’s a delicate balance between retention and winning back the ball. Mata is our best ball retainer, but across more than three yards, our weakest ball reclaimer. Pereira is far from Mata’s level of sophistication, but he ran the most of all players on the field against Chelsea, if you combine kms and most sprints. Mata would probably have bottomed that list.

Pereira has the technique to retain the ball well in an open field, but his inclination is to go for the marginal passes, which leads to ball losses. Mata is good and smart enough to balance that so he can both recycle the ball, and open up tight defences. That’s why I still expect to see Mata against buses that park at Old Trafford, while Pereira will get
more chances in end-to-end games.

Pereira has the technique, working capasity and ethic to be alot more useful at either one of the 8, 10 or 11 roles in a 4-2-3-1. He just seems a slow learner, still making a lot of wrong decisions both on the ball and in press. Pereira with Mata’s brain would be a dead cert starter, but alas.

Lingard is the closest in-between thing we’ve got, so on form, I expect him to play alot this year, contrary to popular demand.

Gomes can grow into the best of all these worlds, and if he keeps on developing like we’ve seen, I think he will get more and more of that game time.

Brightonian

Just posted this in the Ball tetention thread, but it fits better here:

It’s a delicate balance between retention and winning back the ball. Mata is our best ball retainer, but across more than three yards, our weakest ball reclaimer. Pereira is far from Mata’s level of sophistication, but he ran the most of all players on the field against Chelsea, if you combine kms and most sprints. Mata would probably have bottomed that list.

Pereira has the technique to retain the ball well in an open field, but his inclination is to go for the marginal passes, which leads to ball losses. Mata is good and smart enough to balance that so he can both recycle the ball, and open up tight defences. That’s why I still expect to see Mata against buses that park at Old Trafford, while Pereira will get
more chances in end-to-end games.

Pereira has the technique, working capasity and ethic to be alot more useful at either one of the 8, 10 or 11 roles in a 4-2-3-1. He just seems a slow learner, still making a lot of wrong decisions both on the ball and in press. Pereira with Mata’s brain would be a dead cert starter, but alas.

Lingard is the closest in-between thing we’ve got, so on form, I expect him to play alot this year, contrary to popular demand.

Gomes can grow into the best of all these worlds, and if he keeps on developing like we’ve seen, I think he will get more and more of that game time.
This is a very good post. I think you've summed up the complexity of the decision. It also has to be said that consistency varies between them. Mata pretty much always gives you the same strengths and weaknesses to the same level. Pereira has good games and bad games, without normally being extremely either. Lingard always offers a reliable level of movement, work and fluidity of play, but can vary wildly in terms of actually creating anything.

Your last point needs stressing, for me. I'd argue that Gomes needs a start sooner rather than later - it's entirely possible he's ready to be the overall best option right now, and needs to be given a chance to show it, without the risk of being dropped forever if it doesn't go well.

Grande

This is a very good post. I think you've summed up the complexity of the decision. It also has to be said that consistency varies between them. Mata pretty much always gives you the same strengths and weaknesses to the same level. Pereira has good games and bad games, without normally being extremely either. Lingard always offers a reliable level of movement, work and fluidity of play, but can vary wildly in terms of actually creating anything.

Your last point needs stressing, for me. I'd argue that Gomes needs a start sooner rather than later - it's entirely possible he's ready to be the overall best option right now, and needs to be given a chance to show it, without the risk of being dropped forever if it doesn't go well.
Agree on the consistency thing. I do expect Lingards consistency to be better now he’s better trained, though, it rubs off on concentration and technical precision.

With regard to Gomes, I harbour that hope too, though experience has told me that 19 out of 20 teenagers who look ready, will still lack a lot of stuff needed for a team to show consistency. As long as that’s part of United’s challenge, I expect him to be blooded slowly.

GenZRed

I guess I am the only one so far on this thread who is a fan of Jesse Lingard.

How many players in history can say they have scored in both the FA Cup and EFL Cup final?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't think they're interchangeable really as Lingard when he's on the right just fecks off and plays where he wants, which actually caused us a lot of problems in the first half last week.

Basically you need Pereira to have the positional awareness to cover wherever Lingard decides he doesn't want to play, but I'm not sure either are smart enough for that.

WireMUFC

Attacking players having low pass accuracy isn’t always a bad thing, a lot of the time they’re trying to make things happen and play more risky passes. This is where stats fall on their arse when you don’t understand why things happen in a game. Same goes with losing the ball.

Bestietom

Lingard. I don't think Pereira is good enough for Manchester united. There are better players than Lingard that we could have here also.

Bestofthebest

Lingard. I don't think Pereira is good enough for Manchester united. There are better players than Lingard that we could have here also.

This. We will not be challenging for anything with either these two regularly in the line up.

Ibrahimorich

Neither are good enough and under no circumstances should both be starting. It's the same as the Young / Valencia situation really. 1 of them is OK at a push.

Dante

Average bang
Pereira is the best crosser at the club. Probably only Pogba and Dalot come close. But the former isn't as good at adding whip to the ball, and the latter is very inconsistent.

But in almost every other regard, Lingard is the superior player.

paulscholes18

Pereira only for the fact we have somebody who can clear the first man from a corner

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lingard is currently much better. Periera doesn't look a Manchester United player to me whereas Lingard can play a squad role.

Foxbatt

Jesse is much better so far. It is not even a question that needs to be asked right now.

tidraKS

Lingard is miles ahead of Andreas. Stop joking. Jesse is a starter for England.

Robbie Boy

Pfftt if Pereira was called Andy Peters and Lingard was called Jezze Lingardinho everyone would rate ‘em.

Eddy_JukeZ

Lingard is miles better and I don't think he's good enough to be a cert starter either.

beergod

If you combined the two, you would have one hell of a player. Lingard is pretty good at everything but the end product and Pereira is all about end product but is so underwhelming from general play.

Scholsey2004

Lingard is quicker than Pereira, carries more goal threat and is a better presser. Pereira is certainly a better tackler. Lingard is easily the better from what I've seen of Pereira thus far in his career.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At this point Lingard is better player. Pereira didn't show much upto this point and barely got run of games. Whereas Lngard excelled in few big games.

Looks like Ole trust both players so will be interesting to see how they play this season, but if I have to pick one, it will be Lingard for now.