Andreas Pereira vs Jesse Lingard

Mark Pawelek

World class managers disagree with the majority of fans on Lingard? Ole and Southgate are not world class managers and LvG and Mourinho were both past their sell by date by the time they managed us. Bottom line is this question is the equivelant of a waiter asking you if you'd like a glass of piss or a glass of sewage water with your meal, we had players like Cantona and Rooney in this role, and now we have these 2 who are both average, mid table level players who are getting a free pass by the staff because they are from the academy.
That's why both need to leave this summer. If we keep them as squad players they'll be played. Who cares whether one is better than the other; neither are up to scratch.

King Andow

If we don't sign anyone in the summer and get rid of those two and Jones, we'll improve.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
"______ vs Jesse Lingard?" and the guy on the left of that sentence wins every time.

Pereira isn't good enough to start every match, that's true. At least not if out ambition is to be a consistent top 4 team at the minimum. He's however useful as seen by him playing every midfield position this season. At least the bare minimum from him he's trying or involved.

Lingard just often does plain nothing. He doesn't make good runs, he goes missing, he plays only the one position and he's in the worst form I think I've seen from a United player over the span of 18 months.

Eddy_JukeZ

Lingard at least showed something here.

Pereira never has.

Both need to be binned in the summer though.

Paul_Scholes18

Didn't know someone posted about them. I don't rate either of them much at the moment, but it is obvious that the coaching is doing them no good.
Lingard has been good in the past though, but his last year has been terrible. Pereira has played much this season and had some alright game. His pressing has been fine, but he is not that good in attack.
Easy to blame these players, but the guy to blame is Ole. 1 for not improving them with coaching, 2 for not buying more good players to replace them, 3 keep playing them even though there is no sign on any improvements. Sure they might not be working hard enough in training or not listen to the managers instructions. Although if the case then he needs to put them down in the reserve or something, but since he has done nothing he must be ok with them in training.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lingard at least showed something here.

Pereira never has.

Both need to be binned in the summer though.
Agreed. He’s got a good delivery given time and space and occasionally shows flashes of talent in the way he carries the ball but other than that he’s the very definition of average. I’m not convinced he would get into any other EPL midfield, he’s just ridiculously lucky how short and poor our midfield is right now.

If we can upgrade Lingard and Pereira with proper talent we will take ten steps in the right direction.

kundalini

Since we've just bought Lingard's replacement, he should be sold in the summer. Pereira is on much lower wages so finding a replacement for him, without increasing our already huge wage bill, would be very difficult. Andreas may yet improve so I'd be content to keep him for another year or two, as a back-up player.

To state the obvious, neither of them has performed at an acceptable level this season, though Pereira has been slightly unlucky, in that some of the big chances he has created, haven't been taken.

Paul_Scholes18

Since we've just bought Lingard's replacement, he should be sold in the summer. Pereira is on much lower wages so finding a replacement for him, without increasing our already huge wage bill, would be very difficult. Andreas may yet improve so I'd be content to keep him for another year or two, as a back-up player.

To state the obvious, neither of them has performed at an acceptable level this season, though Pereira has been slightly unlucky, in that some of the big chances he has created, haven't been taken.
We probably need to keep them both since our squad is so thin. I am not expecting 4-5 signings this summer.
We need a top striker, quality right winger and replace players that leaves. Thus not sure they want to replace our squad players.
If Mata stay I guess Lingard could go.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
This is a massive issue With him, he’s laughably cocky and makes a mess of nearly every fancy thing he attempts.
I laughed yesterday when he walked away from a free kick muttering under his breath because Bruno had decided he was taking it.
What was Pereira going to do with it!

I'd rather see him on the teamsheet than Lingard though if that's what this thread is discussing

Last edited:

Hughes35

It's like asking if you'd rather catch the Coronavirus or Influenza.

Neither are desirable.

Castia

Lingard is like prime Zidane when compared with Pereira he’s fecking useless.

Both should be sold in the summer, but at least with a Lingard he does have the odd decent game in him.

Bestietom

We need to get rid of both this summer, more so Pereira. I just hope that when McTominay , Pogba, and Matic are ready again, neither Lingard, Mata, or Pereira gets next to near the team.

cyril C

Didn't know someone posted about them. I don't rate either of them much at the moment, but it is obvious that the coaching is doing them no good.
Lingard has been good in the past though, but his last year has been terrible. Pereira has played much this season and had some alright game. His pressing has been fine, but he is not that good in attack.
Easy to blame these players, but the guy to blame is Ole. 1 for not improving them with coaching, 2 for not buying more good players to replace them, 3 keep playing them even though there is no sign on any improvements. Sure they might not be working hard enough in training or not listen to the managers instructions. Although if the case then he needs to put them down in the reserve or something, but since he has done nothing he must be ok with them in training.
Pereira has almost a complete season so jury is out. He tries and seem to have the technique, just hardly deliver. Can't tackle, can't link up, not good as passer, can't shoot, can't terrorise the wings, non-lethal inside the box. yes he seems to have bags of trick, but none shine. He looks like a downgraded Mata to me. Comparatively speaking, Lingard is much better on link up, but that was 2 seasons ago, hardly show up this season which explain his status.

Lee565

I would rather seen young playing as a attacking midfielder/right wing over these two, I guarantee he would have produced more goals and assists than either of them two if he was played further up the pitch.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Other than injury, these two are also the main reason why we are in the position where we are right now on the table. They offer nothing and we are relying on them too much.

No end product, no creativity, can't find the right man, can't hold the ball, likes to give fouls away & headless chicken. They are pretty much players with the same weakness, the difference is that Lingard has pace while Pereira doesn't have, Lingard is worse passer but doesn't make Pereira anything closed to be called good passer of the ball. However, Lingard nowdays can't even control the ball and take a first touch of the ball which makes him less favourite than Pereira in the manager's view.

Even Pep & Klopp will struggle if these two are their only option in their attacking mid. Time to move them on. Ole probably already started to make the move by signing Bruno. Hopefully this sends message to those two players that they haven't been good enough at all.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Lingard is better than Pereira - his performances against spurs and City pereira can only dream of.

I'd stop play Pereira now & if we have to play someone then play Lingard & make Fernandes play deeper - Pereira is nothing but a harraser in midfield & he can't even do that well.

Bruno Fernandes has nullified any need for Pereira, the passing, the dead balls, the long range shooting etc - atleast use Lingards work rate and ability to extend the front line to make it easier for the other attackers.

When Pogba comes then ditch em both.

lemmiwink

What is this? Rate my poo?

Lingard is absolute shit, I’d rate him a 9 on the shit scale. I’d rate Andreas an 8,8.

Stadjer

Harder to rate who is the worst than to rate who is the best...

However i think current Pereira is slighty less useless and slightly less worse (not better or more usefull) than current Lingard. However purple patch Lingard was slightly better than current Pereira.

Conclusion : replace both with capable footballers.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Pereira is better. Better technically and at least has a bit of bite in his game. Lingard wanders round the pitch, never shows for the ball, never puts his foot in, and fecks it up if the ball does come near him. Honestly, it’s not even close....and I’m not a fan of Pereira either

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Other than injury, these two are also the main reason why we are in the position where we are right now on the table. They offer nothing and we are relying on them too much.

No end product, no creativity, can't find the right man, can't hold the ball, likes to give fouls away & headless chicken. They are pretty much players with the same weakness, the difference is that Lingard has pace while Pereira doesn't have, Lingard is worse passer but doesn't make Pereira anything closed to be called good passer of the ball. However, Lingard nowdays can't even control the ball and take a first touch of the ball which makes him less favourite than Pereira in the manager's view.

Even Pep & Klopp will struggle if these two are their only option in their attacking mid. Time to move them on. Ole probably already started to make the move by signing Bruno. Hopefully this sends message to those two players that they haven't been good enough at all.
Good analysis

lex talionis

Both disappoint, but I’d go with Pereira over Lingard every time. Andreas will make mistakes but he puts in effort and the occasional decent play, whereas Lingard is the essence of shambolism and disgusting self-idolatry.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
1. How do you know how much coaching they are getting? You don’t work at Carrington, do you? They could be getting all the coaching in the world and we would have no way of knowing it. Also, Lingard is 27, the issues that he has can no longer be attributed to or fixed by coaching. His coaching days are over. At this point, he should be in form and able to execute manager’s tactics. That’s it.

2. Ole doesn’t get to decide how many players Woodward will buy - that much is pretty obvious. Apparently, a star manager like Mourinho was also helpless there, so can’t blame Ole.

3. This one I would agree with. It’s super annoying to see them playing, but to be fair - they are often subs (esp. Lingard) and with McT and Pogba both injured, in a midfield that was already thin - how much choice does Ole have, to be fair?

Last edited:

djembatheking

Jesse Lingard and Andreas Pereira play for Manchester United on a regular basis .
Just let that sink in.
We are fecked.