Andreas Pereira vs Jesse Lingard

Stadjer

Offer them both to Villa with cash to get Grealish....

I know these deals never happen but in all honestly they must be worth about 40 million between the pair of them.
I think Villa would be able to find two better players (with less wages demand likely too) for 40mil. I also expect Villa will also ask for a lot more than 40mil... like you said, never going to happen.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m a little surprised seeing so many people saying they’d keep Pereira.

Water Melon

Pereira vs Lingard is not a well fitting title anymore. Pereira and Lingard is more appropriate. Both moved come summer, hopefully.

Von Mistelroum

That's a tough one! They both have their individual qualities and talents, and they're quite different in some ways but very similar in others.

With Lingard I'd say he's a little faster and has that iconic punchable face. I'd say he's more what I'd class as hopeless, whereas Pereira isn't as annoying but is slower and probably falls more under the banner of pointless than hopeless if that makes sense.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just replace them both with Gomes and Greenwood. Job done.
Exactly.
And this goes to show just how bad these 2 are - that 2 teenagers can come in and do a better job.

Now onto the question:

An attacker's job is to create and score goals. Running around while doing nothing, does not count.

With Pereira, I do feel that if he plays 38 league games, he may score 1-3 goals (pathetic I know).
With Lingard, I feel he will be lucky to score even 1 goal, given the same game time.

Given the above, I'd rather have Pereira as he is a goal threat.
Lingard is no goal threat and when on the pitch, it feels that we are man down.

Phil Osophy

I rated Pereira since he was in the youth team, and I had time and patience for him until not so long ago, but the man is such an undefined player at 24. He's spent the last years playing in different roles and it's like he doesn't know to play in any of them at the moment.

In Spain he played mainly on both wings for Granada and Valencia if I'm not wrong. Mourinho used him in a double pivot for some games. Then he played in a midfield three for Ole, and this season mainly as a number 10. I don't free the guy from blame because if he had the quality to play in any of these roles he would have showed something solid at some point, but I think the way his career has gone hasn't helped him at all.

I think it would be good for the man to take a step back, go to a lower team and/or league and specialize on something. He's got certain tools, the occasional cross or set piece delivery and good fighting spirit, but he's yet to define himself. I don't like Lingard either and I'd sell him as soon as the transfer window opens, but at least you know his profile as a player. If someone ask me about Pereira and what kind of player he is, his best position, I don't really know what to say.

He isn't a productive attacking player, or someone with great movement off the ball. He lacks explosivity on the wings, and good positioning and ball management to play at the base of midfield. Some years ago I expected him to become a ball playing number 6 but now I think it's probably his worst position. I'm sorry for the guy and I appreciate his efforts, but I think a new challenge elsewhere would be good for everyone involved.

Dec9003

A bit younger, probably on a LOT less money, makes sense imo.

Lingard has had more than his shot here.
I suppose I could get it if we could only get rid of one, but I think we should really look to move both on. We can replace the sort of squad player role with some of our youngsters.

Oldyella

I suppose I could get it if we could only get rid of one, but I think we should really look to move both on. We can replace the sort of squad player role with some of our youngsters.
Ideally yeah, but it should have started this year tbh, with one out this year and one out for next. Between the pair they have played far too many games. Mata and the youngsters should of had a lot more minutes.

wolvored

I think unless they go abroad for a very cheap price no one will want them. Woody will probably price Lingard at £50 million and Periera at £40 million and we will probably see them here next season.

drdoityourself

Cheaper, better output (but still very low), younger, can play in midfield....the only logical answer is Pereira.

In a perfect scenario both will leave, create funds for a much better player and probably create a few minutes for the likes of Mejbri.

Lingard has no where to hyde anymore, his time is up. As the team moves forward he really should have played his last game for the club, he's been that bad this season, he has no business in a front four of a club looking to win a football match.

Tony247

Better not to ship them both out in one summer unless we recruit two. Need one to come as sub.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Better not to ship them both out in one summer unless we recruit two. Need one to come as sub.
I really think both should be sold and Garner, Gomes and Chong should get contracts sorted and be allowed any minutes that these two would have been getting.

Neither are going to improve and they have both had ample chances. 10 mil for Pereira, 15 mil for Lingard and get some young lads on the bench.

Tarrou

Not to say I wouldn't prefer someone better, but we have bigger issues to worry about this summer. And buying squad players is not that easy.

It's basically impossible to purchase one from the PL as everyone is overpriced (eg, Longstaff).

Tony247

I really think both should be sold and Garner, Gomes and Chong should get contracts sorted and be allowed any minutes that these two would have been getting.

Neither are going to improve and they have both had ample chances. 10 mil for Pereira, 15 mil for Lingard and get some young lads on the bench.
Thought occurred to me but years of senior level experience also counts. I don't feel comfortable having that big novice bench.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Thought occurred to me but years of senior level experience also counts. I don't feel comfortable having that big novice bench.
I think that there has to be a certain level of ability for your experience to have any bearing. They don’t have the required quality for arguably the Premier League, nevermind Manchester United.

The bench will still have players like Romero, Jones, Matić and Mata on it. That is enough to cover the PL/CL experience.

We can get a fee for them both and use it to bring in another body too, one that might actually contribute positively to the first team.

Sepukku

Never thought i will say this but i think Lingard is slightly better and has done more for us than Andreas

Skåre Willoch

Never thought i will say this but i think Lingard is slightly better and has done more for us than Andreas
I agree 100%. Lingard has at least been quite useful for a few years, while Andreas should've moved on after his (relatively unsuccessful) stint at Valencia.

El Zoido

Pereira has been better this season. Lingard has had periods of good form in the past but he’s completely useless now. Pereira is incredibly average but has done some good stuff, I’d keep him as a squad player for now at least. Should be nowhere near the first team though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Hard working lads
I wonder what the coaches make of this kind of thing? I'm guessing there's room for a bit of play during training, but it would be satisfying to see Ole or Phelan come into shot shouting the odds.

soapythecat

I don't think any United fan with ambition would be upset if either or both got moved on this summer. I'd be delighted, as I feel both highlight the current averageness of some squad players.
Andreas seems to be a bit more grounded and more likeable, but he is still woefully short of what we need - even as a squad player. Realistic price for me is £7m given his low wages.
Jesse just comes across as an utter tool. I get he does acts of kindness for charity and the likes, but they all do in some capacity. For all his hard work on the pitch - and he does work hard - he has no end product or decent output. He is a £100k a week headless chicken. If we could find a buyer to give us a few £m and take him off our wage bill i'd be absolutely amazed though. No way will a club buy him unless it's a very cheap deal. I think £5m would be a very reasonable price in this current market.

abk92

They are both shite and should be sold in the summer.

How can anyone say that either of these two should be kept on as squad players.

Squad players still need to contribute something to the team, what exactly do these two contribute?

Lingard 20 appearances in the prem (9 starts), no goals or assists.

Pereira 23 appearances in the prem (18 starts), 1 goal and 3 assists.

Bruno in 3 games has 1 goal and 2 assists.

Two so called attacking players who have contributed to 4 goals, yeah definitely worth keeping.

I'm sure if the starts giving to these two were shared between Greenwood, Gomes and Chong then they would have contributed far more to the team. Now its likely both Gomes and Chong will leave as they know they won't get chances in the first team as Ole would rather play current first teamers who contribute next to nothing than play youth players.

Skåre Willoch

@FootyGirl88 I reckon Andreas did the right thing and answered in a professional manner.

I loathe people/"fans" who harass our players on social media. Support the team and the players, or shut up. Or join the Caf to blow off some steam.

UpWithRivers

This is the one excuse Ole should say to save his job. So you have has a tough season. Yeah but to be fair I could never have predicted how sht Periera and Lingard would be. Fair enough. Have another year.

sugar_kane

During that horrendous City semi final at OT the bloke next to me was going sick at Lingard all game for constantly hiding and never showing for the ball

Since then it's all I've been able to focus on whenever he's on the pitch, it was spot on. He plays like he is going through the motions and trying to do the bare minimum.

I feel like it was called out at the time but as soon as he hit that mad run of form a while back and people started calling him "Messi Lingard" etc. you could almost see the instant negative impact it had on his motivation and mentality.

James Ward

I wish them both well but both are absolutely horrendous. Sign Grealish in the Summer to replace them along with an attacking right midfielder.

Midfield next year: Grealish, Pogba, Bruno, Fred, Scott, Matic.
Attack: Grealish, Rashford, Marital, James, Greenwood, New Right winger.

I'd be pretty happy if that was our all we signed this Summer. Obviously if Pogba leaves we need a new midfielder to replace him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'd keep neither. They are both Championship level BUT I rate Pereira higher than Lingard.
Lingard is utterly useless. Can't score. Can't assist. Can't attack. Can't defend. Can't create. He is literally useless when on the pitch.
And before someone says, "but he runs around a lot". Running around a lot, in this day and age is not enough to be in the EPL. Even the team at the bottom of the league would ask more of their players.

Lingard 20 appearances in the prem (9 starts), no goals or assists.

Pereira 23 appearances in the prem (18 starts), 1 goal and 3 assists.

Bruno in 3 games has 1 goal and 2 assists.
And let's not forget that in his first game, Bruno was playing most of the match as CDM.
The stats demonstrate just how useless Lingard is, as a footballer.

Irwin99

Aw, at least the response from him was nice.

....he has had plenty of chances though. I remember there were rumours that Pereira was sulking a lot about a lack of chances in Jose's final (half) season. He can't say the same this time around.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Lingard has no where to hyde anymore, his time is up. As the team moves forward he really should have played his last game for the club, he's been that bad this season, he has no business in a front four of a club looking to win a football match.
My thoughts, exactly.