Andreas Pereira

Brightonian

Nice of him, even if it is because he knows Pereira's dad. It must be a boost to a youngster with Seleçao aspirations to be picked out for support by a first-teamer.

jb8521

He also won the Panda cup with Brazil u20 a couple of days ago

jb8521

Really enjoyed watching him yesterday he has such a brilliant first touch and style of dribbling. It was only a preseason friendly but it was encouraging to see him always looking for the ball as I feel his biggest problem is disappearing from games. Was also interesting to see him taking corners with both feet the last person I remember doing that was Pavel Nedved

Bestie07

Really enjoyed watching him yesterday he has such a brilliant first touch and style of dribbling. It was only a preseason friendly but it was encouraging to see him always looking for the ball as I feel his biggest problem is disappearing from games. Was also interesting to see him taking corners with both feet the last person I remember doing that was Pavel Nedved
Cazorla?

SteveW

In terms of pure talent he looked light years ahead of most of the players around him. Excellent close control, extremely comfortable in possession and terrific balance. Still doesn't quite put it all together but the raw materials are there for him to become a very good player. Also nice to see him playing as a number 8 which I think is his best position.

And yes it is really encouraging to see a young player so comfortable with both feet. It's a hugely underrated skill and a big advantage for a CM imo

Sid234

So anyone knows why Giggs/LvG didn't pick him for US tour?
Looks like LvG's main aim on the tour is to assess his 1st team options, James and Blackett are basically auditioning for the backup LB spot.. M. Keane for the 4th choice CB position while Lingard will be vying for a position on the wings.. We already have too many AMC's and CM's, so no luck for Pereria there

Decotron

Cheers for all the updates btw.. (both here and on twitter) I was lazy and didnt head out to it. (made chilli instead!)

How was he in terms of tackling/competing? I was impressed with him in that respect last season

jb8521

Cheers for all the updates btw.. (both here and on twitter) I was lazy and didnt head out to it. (made chilli instead!)

How was he in terms of tackling/competing? I was impressed with him in that respect last season
Should have gone there was an airshow going on at the same time which was impressive. He actually seems to have gotten stronger since last season, I dont remember him being pushed off the ball at any time and at one stage two Bray players came in on him at the same time and it looked like he was going to get smashed and it ended up with one of the Bray lads having to go off injured and Pereira getting the free kick

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He keeps developing at a nice steady rate. Lovely ball control, first touch is technically superb, can use both feet, great ability to pick the right weight on his passes, defensively runs nice lines and his body position is good. Has all the attributes needed to become a really good player at the top level. Hope he makes it.

FromTheBench

This season is crucial for him. If by the end of it, he isn't near the first team then i can totally see him leaving next summer.

Stack

This season is crucial for him. If by the end of it, he isn't near the first team then i can totally see him leaving next summer.
Isnt he only 18?. Players develop at different rates during different parts of their career. The big learning curve he is going through now is experience and knowing when and when not to do things. If he doesnt get near the 1st team at the end of this season then its no big deal. As long as he gets the right feedback about how he is progressing then he would be daft to leave. He is at the right place for the development of his career.

Brightonian

He keeps developing at a nice steady rate. Lovely ball control, first touch is technically superb, can use both feet, great ability to pick the right weight on his passes, defensively runs nice lines and his body position is good. Has all the attributes needed to become a really good player at the top level. Hope he makes it.
I rate him incredibly highly, but I don't agree that his development is going steadily. For me, he's been at approximately the same level for a good year and a half now.

The thing is that talent-wise, he's lightyears ahead of everyone else. Let's not forget this kid played his first U21s game as a 16-year-old. He's been way ahead of his age group for his entire career. Now that was always going to ease off a bit as he progressed through the age groups, and the physical element became more important. But in terms of his own development, I do sense a risk of him stalling.

His actual football is all there. Dribbling, stunning. Control and passing, superb. Vision, intelligence, creativity, all there. Shots from range, obviously. And that brilliant, aggressive tackling is lovely to see from such a flair player.

But he's been at roughly that level for a while now, and the questions about consistency, application and forcing himself into a game are the same ones that we were asking a year ago. He still sometimes plays games where you barely see him. Even when he has a good game he's often not the main man for United. Sometimes he seems to just produce little cameos, a bit of skill, a mazy run or a wonderful effort on goal, and then disappear for another fifteen minutes before the next. These are criticisms that it would be ridiculous to level against most 18-year-olds but then he isn't most 18-year-olds - he was doing things most 18-year-olds (even most of United's 18-year-olds) can only dream of at the age of 16.

For me, it's crucial that he starts to show the mentality to match his prodigious talent now. This season, straight away. Because however wonderful his little moments, they won't demand a place in the first team for him the way consistently dominating games will. Look at Januzaj - at every level he's encountered at United, he's made himself the key player within a year, often much less. Even in the first team he's already put in a fistful of MOTM performances. That's what wins you a chance in the first team. Moments of wonderful skill and vision are great for us, the people who watch him week-in week-out, but it won't be the sort of thing that forces LVG to give him a chance with the big boys.

And as we know, when youngsters can't force their way onto the next level, stagnation very quickly becomes a big risk. And that would be a travesty for a player as exceptional as Pereira.

tl;dr: He's been impressing like this for a year and a half at least. He needs to start dominating games, putting in MOTM performances and making it impossible for the coaches to ignore him for a first-team opportunity, or he risks stagnating.

FromTheBench

Isnt he only 18?. Players develop at different rates during different parts of their career. The big learning curve he is going through now is experience and knowing when and when not to do things. If he doesnt get near the 1st team at the end of this season then its no big deal. As long as he gets the right feedback about how he is progressing then he would be daft to leave. He is at the right place for the development of his career.
I agree with you and he'd be 19 and half next summer, but have seen quotes from his father and him hinting that they want first team football Asap. He said he was hoping to go on tour this summer like 7/8 months back.

Anyway, i beleive he has one year left on his contract as well. So need to tied that down quickly too.

It's just a hunch i have that he could do a Daehli if he sees himself stagnating at United and foreign talented youngsters don't tend to be as patient as those coming through the academy from earlier. So this year in many ways is crucial and hope he really kicks on.

Stack

But he's been at roughly that level for a while now, and the questions about consistency, application and forcing himself into a game are the same ones that we were asking a year ago. He still sometimes plays games where you barely see him. Even when he has a good game he's often not the main man for United. Sometimes he seems to just produce little cameos, a bit of skill, a mazy run or a wonderful effort on goal, and then disappear for another fifteen minutes before the next. These are criticisms that it would be ridiculous to level against most 18-year-olds but then he isn't most 18-year-olds - he was doing things most 18-year-olds (even most of United's 18-year-olds) can only dream of at the age of 16.

For me, it's crucial that he starts to show the mentality to match his prodigious talent now. This season, straight away. Because however wonderful his little moments, they won't demand a place in the first team for him the way consistently dominating games will. Look at Januzaj - at every level he's encountered at United, he's made himself the key player within a year, often much less. Even in the first team he's already put in a fistful of MOTM performances. That's what wins you a chance in the first team. Moments of wonderful skill and vision are great for us, the people who watch him week-in week-out, but it won't be the sort of thing that forces LVG to give him a chance with the big boys.

And as we know, when youngsters can't force their way onto the next level, stagnation very quickly becomes a big risk. And that would be a travesty for a player as exceptional as Pereira.

tl;dr: He's been impressing like this for a year and a half at least. He needs to start dominating games, putting in MOTM performances and making it impossible for the coaches to ignore him for a first-team opportunity, or he risks stagnating.
The important thing is that players develop physically, emotionally and mentally at different rates and at different times for the various attributes. Hopefully the mental/experience/intuitive part of his game is the last bit of the equation but it may take another year or 2 for that to get to the point where he is more consistent. It would be nice if his agent/father/advisors can be patient and allow that development to happen at its own pace rather than try and push things along.

jb8521

I rate him incredibly highly, but I don't agree that his development is going steadily. For me, he's been at approximately the same level for a good year and a half now.

The thing is that talent-wise, he's lightyears ahead of everyone else. Let's not forget this kid played his first U21s game as a 16-year-old. He's been way ahead of his age group for his entire career. Now that was always going to ease off a bit as he progressed through the age groups, and the physical element became more important. But in terms of his own development, I do sense a risk of him stalling.

His actual football is all there. Dribbling, stunning. Control and passing, superb. Vision, intelligence, creativity, all there. Shots from range, obviously. And that brilliant, aggressive tackling is lovely to see from such a flair player.

Most of this could have been written about Pogba in the summer before his last season with the club which I think shows just how quickly things can click for players at this age if they have this level of talent. Hopefully things will click for him this year because hes among the most gifted young players I've seen.

In Rainbows

Difference is that Pogba was able to do things Pereira can't do or hasn't shown.

Pereira is able to score long range goals like Pogba, but Pogba's footwork and passing was much better than Pereira's.

jb8521

I don't think pogbas footwork or passing were that much better than Pereira's at the same age the one thing he really had going for him over Pereira is the physique which obviously makes the step up to senior football easier

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Haven't watched him play much so if you could compare his style to a more established player, who would you compare him to? Sound like Oscar from what I've read about him.

fallengt

Looks like LvG's main aim on the tour is to assess his 1st team options, James and Blackett are basically auditioning for the backup LB spot.. M. Keane for the 4th choice CB position while Lingard will be vying for a position on the wings.. We already have too many AMC's and CM's, so no luck for Pereria there
Thanks for the update. I don't follow youth team much but It seems he's stalled his progression since he joined. A. Henriquez and A. Pereira were very impressive before they joined our academy, I hope they live up to the expectation.

Brightonian

Difference is that Pogba was able to do things Pereira can't do or hasn't shown.

Pereira is able to score long range goals like Pogba, but Pogba's footwork and passing was much better than Pereira's.
Their shooting and ball control are the same. Pogba had the better passing range, Pereira has the better dribbling and is faster.

Haven't watched him play much so if you could compare his style to a more established player, who would you compare him to? Sound like Oscar from what I've read about him.
He's a tricky one to compare because he's such a flair player and yet he has this solid, blast-from-the-past tackle on him. Oscar's a decent comparison, because he's tricky and creative but also does good defending from the front. Pereira's less fragile than Oscar though, and his style on the ball puts slightly more emphasis on dribbling and slightly less on passing than Oscar's.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Their shooting and ball control are the same. Pogba had the better passing range, Pereira has the better dribbling and is faster.
Pogbas miles better. He's got much better footwork, better at manipulating the ball. Probably better under pressure too. I wouldn't say either rely on pace so it's difficult to judge

Brightonian

Pogbas miles better. He's got much better footwork, better at manipulating the ball. Probably better under pressure too. I wouldn't say either rely on pace so it's difficult to judge
At Pereira's age (that's three years ago), Pogba was not as good a dribbler as Pereira is. He had nice footwork, and could shimmy his way out of a tight spot with the best of them. But he couldn't run straight at a load of defenders and beat them like Pereira can.

It's just the classic hindsight thing. The sort of person who now scoffs at Pereira and claims that no-one in our reserves is as good as Pogba was is exactly the sort of person who scoffed at the idea that Pogba was ready for chances back before we lost him.

The same thing with Januzaj - before last season his thread was full of people who hadn't watched him much mocking the idea that he'd get any serious game time, and gleefully taking the piss out of one guy who said he'd get 20 games. 'He only looks good in the U21's, he won't be able to make the step up to first team level' etc. Then, lo and behold, he's played 35 games for us already. Now, if you claim that another kid is in place to do this season what Januzaj did last time, you get called naive. 'Januzaj is a world class youngster, I'm sorry but none of these kids are on that level, they wouldn't handle the step up to first team football.'

And always, always from people who've not watched them play that much. It's maddening.

Ringo 07

Pereira was invisible in last seasons U21 league final against Chelsea...where as Pogba was the best midfielder at the World Cup...Can hardly say that Pereira is just as good in this moment....there's a massive step between having potential and realizing potential as Larnell Cole, Magnus Eikrem and Tunnicliffe etc have proved