Andreas Pereira / loan to Lazio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

Because spotrac's source is a publication research in the US, not some kind of twitter rumours that you followed.
This is meaningless, since we have no idea what really happened on this negotiation, I'm done.
https://www.spotrac.com/sources-affiliates/

Clearly they're not specialized in "soccer", nor they have direct access to data from official sources. Clubs, agent, league officials...

There are sites with PL exactly like Spotrac, while those sites have more wage bill from other leagues. Then there are other sites with different figures.

meamth

This is weird, people moaning about extending a developed player from academy.

Manchester United Developed the kid, the kid has value, the club should try their best to retain its value. Whether to benefit from on the field performance or player sales, extending his contract wasn't an issue.

flappyjay

This is weird, people moaning about extending a developed player from academy.

Manchester United Developed the kid, the kid has value, the club should try their best to retain its value. Whether to benefit from on the field performance or player sales, extending his contract wasn't an issue.
The same people would be accusing the club of incompetence if he had a good season and the his contract expired.

Himannv

Lazio will not buy him for that price at the end of the season, but another club that sees him perform well in the Serie A might be interested. Hope he does well, and I think he will in that league.

Matriac

This is a GREAT deal for us at this stage of the window all things considered. And great for the player as well.

We have to remove 2 senior players from the squad to fit the Premier League squad quota, and this is before even buying anyone else.
Clubs know this and would be playing hardball for permanent offers on our players.

Now we have a player out of the equation that would rarely even feature on the bench. Then we leave Grant out of the PL squad if we can't sell Romero, and our squad is "ready" for the season. This allows us to.(hopefully) push for a better permanent fee for Smalling and maybe some others, which leaves room for a Sancho and/or Telles or other.

Even if Pereira comes back next summer our squad total will be in a healthier place then with the other contracts running out, leaving more wiggleroom for deals. The 27m is as others mentioned a hedge for both clubs. As well as the player gets a better chance of showing off what he can do.

If you want to understand more about the intricacies of our squad management dilemmas of this and the next season you can check out my (lengthy) thread below where I explain why this is a good and necessary deal for us at this point of the window.

This post will explore the reasons for why we haven't confirmed any other signings yet, and why it's complicated to get it all to add up.

The rules for each teams squad for any season in the Premier League states that each team can comprise of a maximum of 25 players, 17 of which can be anyone, the remaining 8 needs to have homegrown status to be allowed in the squad. On top of this you can have an unlimited amount of U-21 players that can be utilized in the squad for games in the Premier League. This squad needs to be confirmed at the end of the transfer window, and if your name is not on the list by then you won't be allowed to play in the Premier League until you can be put on the list at the next transfer window. You can feature in domestic cups, but most senior players wouldn't like to not be eligible for league games.

We currently have 27 Senior Squad members, good thing is 15 of those have Homegrown status, so we have options. However, if we don't sell anyone we will have to leave 2 senior players out of the squad that can play Premier League matches, and that's before buying anyone else. Below I'll list our squad with some relevant info for this and next season.

Senior Squad Members
Keepers:

Name:Homegrown?Contract Ending Summer 2021Option for another year?
David de Gea
Dean HendersonYes
Sergio RomeroYesYes
Lee GrantYesYesNo
Grant is a likely candidate to be left out of the PL squad if need be, unless we move on Romero. I would guess Grant might move into our coaching team at some level once his contract runs out next summer.

Defenders:
Harry MaguireYes
Victor Lindelöf
Chris SmallingYes
Eric Bailly
Marcos RojoYesNo
Axel TuanzebeYes
Phil JonesYes
Luke ShawYes
Aaron Wan-BissakaYes
Timothy Fosu-MensahYesYesNo
As I understand we are hoping to sell Smalling, Rojo, Jones. Though Rojo's contract runs out next summer, so if we want to get rid of all 3 it's more important to sell the two others if we can't sell them all.

Midfielders:
Nemanja Matic
Paul PogbaYesYesYes
Donny van de Beek
Scott McTominayYes
Fred
Bruno Fernandes
Jesse LingardYesYesYes
Andreas PereiraYes
Juan MataYesYes

Attackers:
Marcus RashfordYes
Daniel JamesYes
Anthony Martial
Odion IghaloNo, but Jan 31st 2021

U-21 Regular First Team Squad Members
Name:U-21 for how much longerWill be Homegrown?
Diogo Dalot1 Season (this)Unsure, I think he missed it by 1 year? Unless this season counts.
Brandon Williams2 SeasonsYes
Mason Greenwood3 SeasonsYes
I'm only listing those U-21 that have featured regularly last season and who many consider part of the senior squad, Mengi and others come on top of these.

How to interpret the Squad Bingo:
As mentioned above, unless we sell anyone we will have to leave out 2 Senior players from the Premier League squad. For all we know, some might even have it in their contract that we can't drop them from the PL squad or they are owed x amount of money or something along those lines. If we buy anyone else like Sancho we'll have to leave out 3 players.
Another factor in this is our negotiation power with clubs that might want to buy our undesired players. If they know we have to sell them to get down to our squad quota or we can't even use them, then they are more likely to lowball offer to us. Possibly what has happened with Roma and Smalling. We said we bought VdB earlier than planned because we had to as others wanted to close a deal, but before then we had to drop one player, Grant might have been the easy choice then since he will retire anyway, but for now we have to drop two.

Ighalo (likely) leaves in January, opening up one spot, so we have room for a winter addition at least if someone becomes available.

Looking onto next summer, if we sell nobody either now or in January. 7 players have contracts ending, 4 of those have options for another year. We'll guaranteed either extend or sign a new contract with Pogba at least. That means that we can potentially have 21 Senior Squad members next summer (with Ighalo having left earlier if no replacement in Jan, 6 more out of contract and Dalot no longer U-21), with 12/13 (of required 8) having Homegrown status. I don't think we will drop all 6, and we might extend with Lingard and possibly Mata. TFM might be offered a new contract if he does well in the coming months, if not he's free to pre-sign with others from January. Many other things may or may not happen as well. Maybe our squad is 23, or 25 if we buy two more players now/Jan.

If we were to sell/get rid of Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Lingard and not offer TFM a new contract, next summer we would have 9 or 10(unsure about Dalot) Homegrown. Some want us to sell James and Tuanzebe (and Dalot) as well. If so we'll be flying close to the limit of 8 if we are to have the maximum potential squad options of 25 players. This is likely another reason for the criticized "Brexit FC" strategy, why we looked closer at quality long-term additions with Homegrown status, since it seemed likely we would get rid of a lot of our older ones. If we buy Sancho this window he will be Homegrown, but not if we buy next summer (unless I'm mistaken).

This also explains why we can't easily take punts on cheap players like Jens Petter Hauge as many have wanted lately, he would be U-21 for this season, but next summer he would be a senior squad member with no Homegrown status. Which player in the squad's place would he take? Mata has no homegrown, but plays a different role. Pereira is perhaps a good shout, but we will lose out on another Homegrown squad member.

Conclusion:
There are a lot of possibilities to consider with how to make our current squad fit the quota of 25 for this and the next season, plus leaving room for desired additions. As mentioned I have no idea if we are unable to drop some/most players from the PL Squad due to contractual obligations. There are several players we would like to sell now, but the covid climate is probably not making that easier, plus the fact that clubs know that we HAVE to sell players now. Especially if we want to buy anyone else before the window closes. It's a game of chicken, and what losses we might be willing to take when it all comes down to the deadline now.

I think we will sell Smalling in the end of this window, and if we don't sell Romero we will leave Grant out of the PL squad. But if we want to buy any other players we have to sell someone, or leave someone out of the squad. This is another reason why we can't drop our interest in Sancho to instead buy 3 other squad players, cause there's currently no room in the squad.

I'm not sure how much of this is news to most people on here, but it's a thread I've been wanting to write for some days as I see so many wondering why we aren't all over cheap deals or why we haven't signed more players yet. The simple answer is we have to sell, and do what we can to not end up players short of homegrown status in the longer run (good thing our academy really helps with this).

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Bit weird that wages are going to be shared. His wages aren't that much, reported 30K per week. Lazio is playing in CL this season. Why can't they pay 30K a week ffs? But anyway, let's hope he takes his chance and gets permanent move away to a top division side. He is a decent player.

ash_86

This is like the Alexis and smalling deal. Good that we're moving out players

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
If we ship out all the deadwood we could be saving 30m a season in wages alone.

Mata
Romero, not deadwood but surplus
Jones
Dalot
Lingard
Pereira
Rojo
Smalling

If we get some money for them in return that would be a plus.

jackal&hyde

I wish him luck and a slightly lower intensity league could be good for him. He is talented no doubt just couldn't really bring that talent to show.

ti vu

This is a GREAT deal for us at this stage of the window all things considered. And great for the player as well.

We have to remove 2 senior players from the squad to fit the Premier League squad quota, and this is before even buying anyone else.
Clubs know this and would be playing hardball for permanent offers on our players.

Now we have a player out of the equation that would rarely even feature on the bench. Then we leave Grant out of the PL squad if we can't sell Romero, and our squad is "ready" for the season. This allows us to.(hopefully) push for a better permanent fee for Smalling and maybe some others, which leaves room for a Sancho and/or Telles or other.

Even if Pereira comes back next summer our squad total will be in a healthier place then with the other contracts running out, leaving more wiggleroom for deals. The 27m is as others mentioned a hedge for both clubs. As well as the player gets a better chance of showing off what he can do.

If you want to understand more about the intricacies of our squad management dilemmas of this and the next season you can check out my (lengthy) thread below where I explain why this is a good and necessary deal for us at this point of the window.
Sancho is under 21. He doesn't need to be registered as senior in the 25 men PL squad. Sancho deal issue is all about money. He's dream signing by any aspect in squad building this summer for us. Can't find an alternative with similar ability (good enough), while at the same time side step this bloating squad issue (young enough).

This bloating squad issue was foreseeable. It's bad planning by the management to get carried away with unlimited U21 players to play around with gross players (both U21 and old squad player like Mata)in the last season. Should have been setting up these loan since last winter transfer window. Now it's quite a mess.

Last edited:

-Supreme-

Negotiating the deal with Lazio isn't the issue. Giving him a new four-year contract last summer is. The result of the 2019 mistake is the struggle to let him go in 2020.
Yep and Mata renewal late last year too which he has hardly played since - we gave him a 120k a week contract was a pure stupidity.

Until we sort out the management team at the top then we will find always find ourselves in this position unfortunately.

Matriac

Sancho is under 21. He doesn't need to be registered as senior in the 25 men PL squad. Sancho deal issue is all about money. He's dream signing by any aspect in squad building this summer for us. Can't find an alternative with similar ability (good enough), while at the same time side step this bloating squad issue (young enough).

This bloating squad issue was foreseeable. It's bad planning by the management to get carried away with unlimited U21 players to play around with gross players (both U21 and old squad player like Mata)in the last season. Should have been setting up these loan since last winter transfer window. Now it's quite a mess.
You're right, not sure how I blinked on that, especially cause I was thinking earlier that I believe he only spent 2-2.5 seasons in England after turning 15, so he's not Homegrown status yet, but will be if he comes back now in this window before he turns 21.

But yeah, the other things I mentioned are still valid to get a better price for our other deadwood and get in Telles or another option.

Mark Pawelek

... We have to remove 2 senior players from the squad to fit the Premier League squad quota, and this is before even buying anyone else ...
By my calculation, United currently have a 31-man 1st team squad but 6 of them are under-21s. So we have exactly 25 senior players (but 4 are goalies). So we don't need to remove anyone unless we bring in more players; which we actually need to.

Under-21s = Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Diogo Dalot, Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood, Ethan Laird, Teden Mengi
Under-21 rule = under-21 on 31 December of the previous season (TFM makes it by 2 days!)

crossy1686

career ending
Bit weird that wages are going to be shared. His wages aren't that much, reported 30K per week. Lazio is playing in CL this season. Why can't they pay 30K a week ffs? But anyway, let's hope he takes his chance and gets permanent move away to a top division side. He is a decent player.
I think we’re paying his wages in full according to the Athletic.

It’s a good move though. Teams can’t afford to buy at the moment so loan him out and when fans return so will the money. We don’t want him sitting in the reserves for a full season, that’s not good for anyone.

ti vu

By my calculation, United currently have a 31-man 1st team squad but 6 of them are under-21s. So we have exactly 25 senior players (but 4 are goalies). So we don't need to remove anyone unless we bring in more players; which we actually need to.

Under-21s = Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Diogo Dalot, Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood, Ethan Laird, Teden Mengi
Under-21 rule = under-21 on 31 December of the previous season (TFM makes it by 2 days!)
https://www.premierleague.com/news/844127/

"For the 2018/19 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1997"

Doing the math, it would be for 2020/2021 season, born on or after January 1999. TFM was born 2 Jan 1998.

https://www.manutd.com/en/players-and-staff/detail/timothy-fosu-mensah

With 4 GKs and Pereira loan had yet to confirmed. We sit at 26 senior players. We still need to shift out some player any Over 21 incoming to make the squad.

gajender

https://www.premierleague.com/news/844127/

"For the 2018/19 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1997"

Doing the math, it would be for 2020/2021 season, born on or after January 1999. TFM was born 2 Jan 1998.

https://www.manutd.com/en/players-and-staff/detail/timothy-fosu-mensah
Too much is being made of squad registration rules it simply isn't be the reason of our lethargy in the market we don't need to sell players to make space for new signings ,if aren't able to move the players we simply don't register them to make space for new player's .
What's the point of registering Jones or Rojo it serves no purpose whatsoever they are gash and mostly injured.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I had read that line in Laurie's tweet. I think it was confusing, don't think he meant United covering full wages. Why will we do it? We will find someone else for him or else simply keep on bench. It's not Alexis scenario where wages are too huge. Rob Dawson too said Lazio is paying it:

ti vu

Too much is being made of squad registration rules it simply isn't be the reason of our lethargy in the market we don't need to sell players to make space for new signings ,if aren't able to move the players we simply don't register them to make space for new player's .
What's the point of registering Jones or Rojo it serves no purpose whatsoever they are gash and mostly injured.
Players are human. Clubs don't register them, then they would need to let the player to find new clubs, or it would leave a mark on how terribly run such clubs are for future players and especially their agents. Who would want to commit long term to a club that may just leave you out for good, treating you like asset, trash?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
This should be completed today. Italian clubs have a habit of 'announcing' it before it's completed too don't they. Players pictured in the medical etc.. So we'll hear something soon I suspect

gajender

Players are human. Clubs don't register them, then they would need to let the player to find new clubs, or it would leave a mark on how terribly run such clubs are for future players and especially their agents. Who would want to commit long term to a club that may just leave you out for good, treating you like asset, trash?
Don't you think we have already told Jones, Rojo or for that matter Smalling that they have no future here and about the bolded part it won't make any difference you have pretty low opinion of players and their agent's understanding I am afraid ,they are smart enough to understand why club had to resort to such measures if it comes to that.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Some of those players hardly played last season, it will come as no surprise to them that they are not in the clubs thoughts moving forward. It's also not up to the club to pick them just because they're on the books, they need to give the manager a reason to pick them.

RashyForPM

If we do end up getting 27 million for him next season, we’ll be robbing the Italians blind.

Anyway, good luck to Andreas. He was never good enough but always gave his all.

ti vu

Some of those players hardly played last season, it will come as no surprise to them that they are not in the clubs thoughts moving forward. It's also not up to the club to pick them just because they're on the books, they need to give the manager a reason to pick them.
Don't you think we have already told Jones, Rojo or for that matter Smalling that they have no future here and about the bolded part it won't make a any difference you have pretty low opinion players and their agent's understanding I am afraid ,they are smart enough to understand why club had to resort to such measures if it comes to that.
There is the contract. Until that is terminated, they are tied to the club, can't move freely. They need club permission to be picked up by other clubs. When things don't work out for sale, and loan, it's the club responsibility to help them somehow now that they are not registered. Not in manager plan is not the same as unprofessionalism on player part deserving getting punishment.

This situation would be seen as the club being unreasonable and greedy trying shift their failure around but punishing player with perfect professionalism

Matriac

27 Senior squad, non u21.

TFM is unfortunately not U-21 anymore.

https://medium.com/garden-of-eden/s...in-english-and-european-football-c0225014a279

Under-21 (or 19): under-21 (or under-19) on 31 December of the previous season
For example, U21 (or U19) players will have been born on or after 1 January 1998 (or 1 January 2000) in 2019/20 season
Edit: I see now that someone else replied to you for me.

flappyjay

I think Ole should take a hard stance. For players he plans on not using like Romero (sorry), Jones, Rojo he should not put them in the league or ucl squad. Hopefully(unlikely) the shame of being omitted from the squad whilst there is space will push them to find clubs. I am actually doing Rojo wrong here as he almost joined Everton and then tried to stay at Estudiantes.

Matriac

There is the contract. Until that is terminated, they are tied to the club, can't move freely. They need club permission to be picked up by other clubs. When things don't work out for sale, and loan, it's the club responsibility to help them somehow now that they are not registered. Not in manager plan is not the same as unprofessionalism on player part deserving getting punishment.

This situation would be seen as the club being unreasonable and greedy trying shift their failure around but punishing player with perfect professionalism

This, and for all we know some of those agents have thought of this in advance and put it in the players contract that as long as they are not loaned out they have to be registered for the league, or else x happens, i.e. the club owes them more money or the contract is terminated but the club has to pay out remaining salary.

And from a business standpoint since we are an openly traded company. Having assets of value (that these players are even if we don't consider them skilled enough) be turned completely unusable due to squad eligibility is not a good business practice.
So selling before buying is likely the expected procedure when we answer to shareholders.
When other clubs know this they can lowball offer us for our undesirables.

I went into a lot more detail for that in this thread: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/our...-why-we-havent-bought-anyone-else-yet.457709/

Mark Pawelek

27 Senior squad, non u21.

TFM is unfortunately not U-21 anymore.

https://medium.com/garden-of-eden/s...in-english-and-european-football-c0225014a279

Edit: I see now that someone else replied to you for me.
I'd like to know who you're counting in that 27-man senior squad. The official site list 34. Yesterday: Laird was added, bringing it up to 35. J. Pereira, A. Pereira, Garner, Chong are all out on loan reducing it to 31. Dalot, TFM, Williams, Mengi, Laird, and Greenwood all qualify as under-21. Reducing it to 25.

I understand how you figure TFM is not U-21, in which case you should have 26, not 27.

ti vu

I'd like to know who you're counting in that 27-man senior squad. The official site list 34. Yesterday: Laird was added, bringing it up to 35. J. Pereira, A. Pereira, Garner, Chong are all out on loan reducing it to 31. Dalot, TFM, Williams, Mengi, Laird, and Greenwood all qualify as under-21. Reducing it to 25.

I understand how you figure TFM is not U-21, in which case you should have 26, not 27.
Counting A. Pereira as in at the time of the post, there is no agreement for his loan.

Matriac

Counting A. Pereira as in at the time of the post, there is no agreement for his loan.
Exactly as @ti vu is saying.
Your initial reply to me above was me saying how this loan is a great deal for us at this point as it will bring our squad down to 26 when it goes through, and then we'd leave out Grant if we don't sell Romero to have the squad "ready". But we would need to sell/loan other players if we are to bring in Telles or other.

I list all the players with more info in this thread:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/our...-why-we-havent-bought-anyone-else-yet.457709/

crossy1686

career ending

Exactly, a contract states that they will be paid handsomely every week over the course of however many years and they will provide a service that's complementary to a club with elite ambitions. If they want to phone in their effort then they can expect to be paid on reflection of said effort.

The players are not the victims here, if they want to play football they have agents to help them find new clubs. If they want to play reserve football for Manchester United on £100k a week there is also that option for them. Whatever make's them happy.

red4ever 79

I had read that line in Laurie's tweet. I think it was confusing, don't think he meant United covering full wages. Why will we do it? We will find someone else for him or else simply keep on bench. It's not Alexis scenario where wages are too huge. Rob Dawson too said Lazio is paying it:

wanted more games. Thank you Andreas off you go.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hope he does well at Lazio. Was very skeptical of him as a potential top player since his loan stint at Valencia - he got a fair bit of game time but was mostly "meh" even though he was operating more wide.

He's mid-table quality but comes across professional + hard working. I wish him well, and hope Lazio pay some ££ after the loan!

layzie702

Roma are not a threat to us can’t we negotiate a buy one and get one free offering Lingard too?

snowkarl

Hope he does well at Lazio. Was very skeptical of him as a potential top player since his loan stint at Valencia - he got a fair bit of game time but was mostly "meh" even though he was operating more wide.

He's mid-table quality but comes across professional + hard working. I wish him well, and hope Lazio pay some ££ after the loan
Honestly Pereira isn't mid table quality. He doesn't start for a single PL club.

Diangana and Pereira at WBA are way better, Villa have Traore and Grealish, even Fulham with Lookman and Cavaleiro are better. And don't even try putting him in at cm...

Should never have been renewed, huge mistake.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It’s a good move though. Teams can’t afford to buy at the moment so loan him out and when fans return so will the money. We don’t want him sitting in the reserves for a full season, that’s not good for anyone.
Lazio are paying his wages in full according to the Athletic.

Andreas Pereira is on the way to Lazio, joining them on loan for the season.
Lazio will pay his wages in full for the campaign and have an option to sign him permanently as part of the deal.

https://theathletic.com/news/manchester-united-transfer-smalling-roma/LQoZHCBn1IfA

DuruttiColumn

I spent most of January loudly arguing that signing Fernades would be a mistake, as it might hamper Andreas’ development....

Doh

Status
Not open for further replies.