Andrei Kanchelskis

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Anyone else look at Dan James and think Andrei Kanchelskis? The floppy hair, the little smile. James is smaller, mind, but since his first game for United I've just been thinking 'Kanchelskis.'

If James turns out to be half as good as Kanchelskis was what a player he'll be. That summer we lost Kanchelskis, Ince and Hughes, I think Andrei was the one I was most upset by. Especially as he'd been our top scorer in 1994/95.

The counter attacks of that first great Ferguson team were really something and Kanchelskis (and Giggs) were pretty much at the heart of every one. Seeing us counter against Chelsea with such speed and deadliness felt like rolling the clock right back.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Anyone else look at Dan James and think Andrei Kanchelskis? The floppy hair, the little smile. James is smaller, mind, but since his first game for United I've just been thinking 'Kanchelskis.'

If James turns out to be half as good as Kanchelskis was what a player he'll be. That summer we lost Kanchelskis, Ince and Hughes, I think Andrei was the one I was most upset by. Especially as he'd been our top scorer in 1994/95.

The counter attacks of that first great Ferguson team were really something and Kanchelskis (and Giggs) were pretty much at the heart of every one. Seeing us counter against Chelsea with such speed and deadliness felt like rolling the clock right back.
Had two great feet and searing pace. Could cross a ball too.
James has a way to go. I'd love to see him make it

arthurka

Feck me how I loved Kanchelskis. Even have a kit with his name from back in the days.

fps

Loved Kanchelskis, so, so exciting on the ball, a little more physically aggressive than Giggs, devastating options on the wings.

Cantona's Collar

My favourite memory of Kanchelskis is his performance in the 5-0 spanking of City following a 4-0 defeat to Barcelona in the Champions League. Not only did he score a hat-trick in that match but he also banged a smashing 40+ yard pass to Cantona that he controlled brilliantly with the outside of his foot and smashed past the City keeper.

After the midweek lesson off Barca it was a much needed pick me up.

Inigo Montoya

My favourite memory of Kanchelskis is his performance in the 5-0 spanking of City following a 4-0 defeat to Barcelona in the Champions League. Not only did he score a hat-trick in that match but he also banged a smashing 40+ yard pass to Cantona that he controlled brilliantly with the outside of his foot and smashed past the City keeper.

Remember Mike Summerbee and Denis Law were the pre match pundits. Summerbee stated that we were there for the taking, Denis didn't agree. End of the game Summerbee looked shell shocked,Denis had a mischievous smile on his face but didn't say a word

Cantona's Collar

Remember Mike Summerbee and Denis Law were the pre match pundits. Summerbee stated that we were there for the taking, Denis didn't agree. End of the game Summerbee looked shell shocked,Denis had a mischievous smile on his face but didn't say a word
And lo, the tradition of Summerbee talking bollocks during punditry for Manchester derbies was born.

Inigo Montoya

And lo, the tradition of Summerbee talking bollocks during punditry for Manchester derbies was born.
He hated us with a passion. He and Doyle were pathological in that. The fact that they'd won the league/FA Cup/League Cup and the Fairs Cup in the late 60s didn't stop Utd still being the most popular of the two. Malcolm Allison was obsessed with seeing us fall

Cantona's Collar

He hated us with a passion. He and Doyle were pathological in that. The fact that they'd won the league/FA Cup/League Cup and the Fairs Cup in the late 60s didn't stop Utd still being the most popular of the two. Malcolm Allison was obsessed with seeing us fall
I used to work with an elderly Man City fan back in the 90's (it's a rarity to see a Man City fan in the wild in North Wales today, let alone back then) and he hated us with an intensity I've never been able to fathom for exactly this reason. Was always banging on about us exploiting the memory of the players that died in the Munich disaster just to keep City down. If he's still alive now (which I doubt) I bet he's loving our current predicament.

Anyway, Kanchelskis. It always surprised me how little he achieved once he left us. I thought he'd have teared it up at Everton but I can't remember a single standout moment for him there.

KGBhoy

I used to work with an elderly Man City fan back in the 90's (it's a rarity to see a Man City fan in the wild in North Wales today, let alone back then) and he hated us with an intensity I've never been able to fathom for exactly this reason. Was always banging on about us exploiting the memory of the players that died in the Munich disaster just to keep City down. If he's still alive now (which I doubt) I bet he's loving our current predicament.

Anyway, Kanchelskis. It always surprised me how little he achieved once he left us. I thought he'd have teared it up at Everton but I can't remember a single standout moment for him there.
Don't know about standout moment, but here the standING moment ;)

@Cantona's Collar that goal was a beauty. The way Cantona took it down with the outside of his foot, managing to pull it into his stride in a single motion. The man was an absolute genius.

Kanchelskis loved playing City thinking back. He had a knack of turning them inside out.

On the Barcelona thing...I hated UEFA's rules back then so much. That 4-0 was humiliating. The three foreigner rule would've benefitted them too, of course. However, our strongest XI would've done much better against theirs than what we ended up with. The three foreigner rule was counting Brits as foreigners even though Scots, Welsh, English and Northern Irish all have the same passport. Imagine telling Barca they had to consider Catalans, Basques, Galicians and Castillans as foreigners for the purpose of the European Cup! As soon as that three foreigner rule got junked we became a European force practically overnight, a hiccup against Dortmund and Monaco permitting.

As for Kanchelskis post-United, I was shocked he ended up at Everton. Everton at the time were nowhere near us. Unlike Sparky who was probably coming towards the end, I thought Kanchelskis could have gone to one of the top European teams like Ince did. I think Kanchelskis in Serie A would've been a terror. Look what George Weah's pace did at Milan. Although, there's lot of rumours about Kanchelskis and who was behind him. Could be he wasn't in total control of his career?

Adcuth

Yeah I've heard that comparison, I think Andrei had better end product but Dan has time on his side to improve that. I was a massive fan of his back in the day so here's hoping.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

I remember that game. All awesome goals too

Pace Abuser

I remember him hand balling on the goal line, getting sent off, and thr opposition scoring. I must have been about 11. But I distinctively remember the hype about him.

NFM

Steve Coppell

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The way he drops his shoulder and motors into the space is exactly like Kanchelskis. Andrei was another punt who developed a left foot and learned how to score regularly - hopefully James follows the same path.

Steve Coppell
Not old enough, but I'll take your word for it. I'm told Coppell and Hill were two of the best many remember seeing.

Water Melon

Dan James has a long way to go to reach AK47's level. A magnificent player he was.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Not old enough, but I'll take your word for it. I'm told Coppell and Hill were two of the best many remember seeing.
We've been spoiled for wingers and neither of these make the top.10. But Hill was beautiful to watch, miles better than Coppell (a plain winger).

In terms of Kanchelskis, I loved him - partly because I loved that team. I actually put him in my AT XI over Beckham (which I realise is a very personal choice and I'm in the minority).

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I remember him hand balling on the goal line, getting sent off, and thr opposition scoring. I must have been about 11. But I distinctively remember the hype about him.
League Cup Final v Villa. I was there :(

Hackman2210

Utd v City in 95? 4-0 Cantona lasers passes to Kanchelskis who bags a hat trick. Possibly my favourite Utd game. Loved Eric and Kanchelskis wasn’t bad either.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Loved Kanchelskis as a player, but I always feel he totally gets away with it in terms of his very unsavoury departure from the club.
Maybe because he smiled a lot and was a flair player?

jesperjaap

I do remember him being one very much a minority of players I ever saw go past Maldini when he was at I think Fiorentina I think. Actually skinned him 3 or 4 times which was almost monumental...to be fair I think Maldini actually got back at him half the times though.

Cracking player, we were so fortunate to have Kanchelskis, then Beckham and then Ronaldo on the right hand side

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We will be lucky if he ends up as good

::sonny::

Kanchelskis had one of his best seasons at Everton (an underrated spell that) in my opinion, 1 goal every 2 games more or less.

For some strange reason they sold him (their best player) to Fiorentina

Never ricovered from an injury suffered in italy during inter-fiorentina (killer tackle by Taribo West)

James is another kind of player

Last edited:

galwayfa

I remember having 22 man utd t shirts, used to wear a different one a day til all used then wear again, never a jersey fan, keane, giggs, sharp, Irwin most of them but a few of others, Kanchelskis, had about 5 of his, great player, hat trick v city, unbelievable player

starman

He would be incredible in a front 3 system that most teams have adopted today. So would early 20s Giggs.
Sharpe, Kanchelskis & Giggs on the counter would be devastating.

Tarrou

He would be incredible in a front 3 system that most teams have adopted today. So would early 20s Giggs.
Sharpe, Kanchelskis & Giggs on the counter would be devastating.
except he'd be on the left and Giggs on the right

that just feels weird actually

starman

except he'd be on the left and Giggs on the right

that just feels weird actually
Wingers today are greedy, right footed right wingers do not exist, and vice versa. They all want to play the opposite side and cut in and shoot.

But of that trio I would play Kanchelskis down the middle as he's probably the best finisher of the three, with Giggs on the left and Sharpe on the right.

Water Melon

What does he do now ?
Manages some team in Uzbekistan
He was fired recently. There is no proper football infrastructure in Uzbekistan yet, and he was managing a team that had no chance of competing against top teams in the country. Had a chance to meet him, while he was here. Still a Red through and through, loves United, despises the Glazers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Kanchelskis is quicker to me (without ball) and has more end products. James still has a long way to go but he is still young.