Andrew Cole

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Now I respect it is entirely his right but why for years now does he insist on being called Andrew?

He sounded way more cooler as an Andy imo.

A legend in any case.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
When did he change that? I remember he was Andy Cole in 99/00 Panini stickers album then next season his name was changed to Andrew.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The rumours are Teddy Sheringham and him caught Andy Cole masturbating after he got subbed off in a game against Southampton at the Old Dell in 98. After that whenever he’d walk in to the dressing room Sheringham and May would say “can I have a handy Andy?”.

This is why he changed his name and why he never spoke to Sheringham again.

sugar_kane

I’m sure at the time the story was that he’d had a bit of a religious awakening and decided he’d change his name to align with this change in outlook.

Chris Amesbury

I always remember that throughout his career he said his name is Andrew. It's just the media have always referred to him as Andy. Apparently Teddy blanked Cole when he came on for him in an England game.
Cole was a brilliant forward for us. Never stopped running and made so many chances for himself. I'd have a fit Cole at his peak in my team.

BigRon1985

The rumours are Teddy Sheringham and him caught Andy Cole masturbating after he got subbed off in a game against Southampton at the Old Dell in 98. After that whenever he’d walk in to the dressing room Sheringham and May would say “can I have a handy Andy?”.

If only this were true! :lol:

I think it was because he wanted to be taken more seriously as he got older though I doubt it made the slightest difference. A bit like the ex Radio 1 DJ Kid Jenson reverting back to wanting to be called David Jenson - hardly a kid in his 60s!

drdoityourself

As I have chosen to recall, he was mint for us as Andy Cole, but lost his mojo once he became Andrew.

Spaghetti

Mom's
As I recall he didn’t change it, more that it was some bizarre story in the press.

I think he mentioned that his mother called him Andrew and the press took that as him wanting to be called by all. I may be wrong.

Moriarty

I think it was because he wanted to be taken more seriously as he got older though I doubt it made the slightest difference. A bit like the ex Radio 1 DJ Kid Jenson reverting back to wanting to be called David Jenson - hardly a kid in his 60s!
Or maybe he didn't want any guilt by association to the BBC and Savile.

El Zoido

As I recall he didn’t change it, more that it was some bizarre story in the press.

I think he mentioned that his mother called him Andrew and the press took that as him wanting to be called by all. I may be wrong.
That’s the story I always heard. He’s always referred to himself as Andrew but the media kind of just went with “Andy”. He did an interview where he was asked, and he said it was Andrew, then the press ran with the story that he demanded it be Andrew. I also recall a later interview where he was asked about this and he said he didn’t care if people called him Andy and the story was a storm in a teacup. IIRC there was also a point later in his career where his name changed on the team sheet, which is somewhat unusual. The whole thing is rather strange tbh, but Cole has always come across as a bit of an odd bloke to me.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

:lol:

Full bodied red

Who cares whether Andy or Andrew....OK, obiously Andrew / Andy does.

I had the incredible good fortune to meet him, by chance, a couple of years ago in a restaurant.

We spoke for about 20 minutes and a genuinely nice and extremely humble person considering his career and his life to date.

And on his day, as good a striker and goal scorer as we've been lucky enough to have at OT.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

That's why he released that song.

Maccus21

If anyone wants to know what come did for us, you should watch his goals.

They were goals of all types.
Tap ins, goals on the break, and some where he created room and a shot out of nothing

He was so under appreciated when he was our main man.

A legend who would be in the current team ahead of rash and Rom today

Last edited by a moderator:

Moiraine

What a wonderful documentary on Cole on Skysports Premier league channel right now. Absolutely brilliant.

Pughnichi

Thank you so much for this!

THE Goal King.

Such a finisher & all-round top class player. My favourite United player so 25 minutes well spent for me.

He’s right at the end, stats don’t lie & he’s woefully under appreciated.

As an aside, that 99 kit is simply perfection.
my fav player as well. Always worth a mention that he reached the amount of goals without being on penalties. Unlike Shearer and Rooney

Oldyella

my fav player as well. Always worth a mention that he reached the amount of goals without being on penalties. Unlike Shearer and Rooney
Yeah, not sure if he was good on penalties or not, and we just had better players to take them at the time, but kind of wish he had taken them, just to see if he could have beaten Shearer.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
His 93/94 season with Newcastle doesn’t get enough recognition.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I was gobsmacked when Newcastle sold Cole to United. It was up there with the Cantona coup. Couldn't believe it at the time. Still is one of my all time favourite United players.

Spaghetti

Mom's
In his Outstanding song there’s a line “what’s my name? Who’s that Andy Cole”.

He didn’t change his name or demand to be called Andrew. He actually said he didn’t care, but that his mum called him Andrew. And this was oddly translated as him demanding a name change. Probably a journo that had it in for him.

Anyway, great player and thanks for the link to the video, I shall watch that later.

RUCK4444

Great video. An incredible striker, the fact he scored that many without penalties puts him deservedly in the argument of potentially being the best natural goalscorer of the PL era, as it stands. Massively underrated player, unusual that he was somewhat underrated during his career and that continues somewhat now.

Has anybody ever taken the time to work out how many penalties he could have taken and apply an average conversion rate? Would be interesting to see what figure comes out.

Only player in premier league era to finish both top scorer and most assists in the same season.

Took a lot of shit in his first 12 - 18 months but had great mental strength to see that through and deservedly fire United to many titles.

FujiVice

Shin splints, broken leg, pneumonia. 3 major setbacks in his first 18 months here. He was never fit until 1997.

People gave him so much shit over that West Ham game, but we wouldnt have been in with a chance if it wasnt for his goals in the build up. Scoring against Coventry late on and his goals and penalty win against Southampton took it to the final day. A player that didnt suck up to the press, thus was an easy target.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I never rated him as highly as most. I thought he needed too many chances to score (luckily he did get a lot of chances with that team). He was never as prolific with us as he was at Newcastle. And I thought that my opinion was vindicated when we started seeing RVN - much more clinical.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've never seen a footballer's first touch and control improve as rapidly as his did when he came. He was quite poor at it at Newcasle and when he first arrived but they soon sorted that out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was gobsmacked when Newcastle sold Cole to United. It was up there with the Cantona coup. Couldn't believe it at the time. Still is one of my all time favourite United players.
We'd been playing hockey and the teacher came in and said Man Utd have just signed Andy Cole.
We were all like yehhhh right.

Back then you had to wait until you got home to check teletext!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great video. An incredible striker, the fact he scored that many without penalties puts him deservedly in the argument of potentially being the best natural goalscorer of the PL era, as it stands. Massively underrated player, unusual that he was somewhat underrated during his career and that continues somewhat now.

Has anybody ever taken the time to work out how many penalties he could have taken and apply an average conversion rate? Would be interesting to see what figure comes out.
It seemed to take until Yorke joined for him to get full respect. And even then it seemed to fall mostly on Yorke's shoulders.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I never rated him as highly as most. I thought he needed too many chances to score (luckily he did get a lot of chances with that team). He was never as prolific with us as he was at Newcastle. And I thought that my opinion was vindicated when we started seeing RVN - much more clinical.
Van Nistelrooy was definitely a level above. But generally had the team built to his strength in a way Cole never did.