Andy Carroll

Crimson King

As much as Carroll is a Neanderthal, there were a few on here having a titter about the tackle that injured MGW the other night. Don’t get me wrong, I much preferred football when it was a full contact sport but you can’t castigate Carroll while celebrating “the butcher”.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but the tackle Martinez did on MGW was strong but perfectly fine. It was unfortunate he was injured, if it was indeed from that impact, but there was nothing dirty about the tackle. It didn't even lead to a free kick. The only posts I saw on here were just celebrating a strong tackle from a popular player.

Carroll charged around clattering into people like he was on WWE, leading to two yellow cards and Eriksen leaving the stadium on crutches.

Also, Martinez's nickname is relatively tongue in cheek and more to do with his aggression and uncompromising style, especially given his size. In fact, according to whoscored.com, he's only been sent off once in his career, and that was playing for Newell's Old Boys when he was just starting out.

M15 Red.

His aerial ability, a sight so rare and bold.

His headers, a symphony, with power untold.

His movement, graceful and swift, like the raven on the wing.

His feet, a masterwork, in dribbling they sing.

Surely some divine hand must be at play.

For the talents of Andy Carroll, can never fade away.

TheReligion

Abusive
As much as Carroll is a Neanderthal, there were a few on here having a titter about the tackle that injured MGW the other night. Don’t get me wrong, I much preferred football when it was a full contact sport but you can’t castigate Carroll while celebrating “the butcher”.
To be fair the tackles were nothing alike.

I can only assume you didn’t see the one on Eriksen? Or the one on Malacia? Or the one on Casemiro?

Carroll was making it his business to injure someone. That’s the point.

BlueHaze

His aerial ability, a sight so rare and bold.

His headers, a symphony, with power untold.

His movement, graceful and swift, like the raven on the wing.

His feet, a masterwork, in dribbling they sing.

Surely some divine hand must be at play.

For the talents of Andy Carroll, can never fade away.
Some call him Andy Carrroll, others call him junk.

His nasty hairband always riddled with spunk..

Tried to dribble but on his own crooked feet he fell.

Lashed out in anger and hit an innocent mademoiselle..

But what else could we expect from Liverpools former number nine?

The whole universe already knew he was nothing but a cretinous swine!

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Maybe I'm misremembering, but the tackle Martinez did on MGW was strong but perfectly fine. It was unfortunate he was injured, if it was indeed from that impact, but there was nothing dirty about the tackle. It didn't even lead to a free kick. The only posts I saw on here were just celebrating a strong tackle from a popular player.

Carroll charged around clattering into people like he was on WWE, leading to two yellow cards and Eriksen leaving the stadium on crutches.

Also, Martinez's nickname is relatively tongue in cheek and more to do with his aggression and uncompromising style, especially given his size. In fact, according to whoscored.com, he's only been sent off once in his career, and that was playing for Newell's Old Boys when he was just starting out.
I’m not comparing the tackles but the attitude of fans towards tackles by your players to tackles on your players. The result is both players are injured (MGW and Erikaon). As someone who grew up watching Kenny Burns and Larry Lloyd dishing it out, I’m not particularly squeamish about robust tackling, but as fans, we can’t have it both ways. Martinez is the butcher, but is it still tongue in cheek if he was playing for an opposing team and he puts Rashford out for a month, with a robust but ‘fair’ tackle?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I’m not comparing the tackles but the attitude of fans towards tackles by your players to tackles on your players. The result is both players are injured (MGW and Erikaon). As someone who grew up watching Kenny Burns and Larry Lloyd dishing it out, I’m not particularly squeamish about robust tackling, but as fans, we can’t have it both ways. Martinez is the butcher, but is it still tongue in cheek if he was playing for an opposing team and he puts Rashford out for a month, with a robust but ‘fair’ tackle?
TBH that applies to all fans and all teams not specifically United, football today, tackling wise is a pretty tame affair compared to the past, most fans under the age of about 30 have no real idea what it was like, can you imagine what they'd make of the likes of Norman Hunter, Ron Harris or Tommy Smith these days!

mu4c_20le

You are the only one to talk about this 'tackle', most forest fans dont even know how he picked up the knock, nor did Cooper after the match. I certainly don't remember it but if you come across it again I'd be really curious if it was anywhere near the ones we're talking about.

lex talionis

Carroll was on a mission to feck someone up. Hopefully there will be an examination of his behavior on the pitch and at least a reprimand forthcoming.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
You are the only one to talk about this 'tackle', most forest fans dont even know how he picked up the knock, nor did Cooper after the match. I certainly don't remember it but if you come across it again I'd be really curious if it was anywhere near the ones we're talking about.
Again I’m talking about the reaction to the tackle, when you thought Martinez had injured him. Two I recollect were “It looks like we’ve just relegated Forest” and “Got to love the Butcher”.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
TBH that applies to all fans and all teams not specifically United, football today, tackling wise is a pretty tame affair compared to the past, most fans under the age of about 30 have no real idea what it was like, can you imagine what they'd make of the likes of Norman Hunter, Ron Harris or Tommy Smith these days!
I completely agree, our fans are just as bad. Even more recently, on one hand, the Jones tackle on Cantona or Keane on Haaland.

BarstoolProphet

You are not comparing tackles but are comparing tackles? Or the point you are trying to make is that fans are biased?

The reason people react is the nature of the tackle and how Carroll went about this match. You could see early on his aerial duels with Lindelof that he wanted to play recklessly. That the ref didn't want to shut him down after the tackle on Eriksen was a signal to Carroll to continue his prison tactics. Also he has history with us after his assault on DdG, which ironically was the turning point that toughened him up enough to be a world class goalkeeper for us.

Crimson King

I'm really not sure of the point you're trying to make. If Rashford was injured by a tackle that didn't even warrant a free kick I would be frustrated, but I obviously wouldn't blame the player that had committed it. That would just be petty. It's a contact sport and people get hurt. It's only when players frequently go beyond fair play and hurt someone then you can rightfully hold it against them. Thus, our resentment towards Carroll for his actions the other night. That and the fact he used to play for Liverpool, obviously.

MGW is injury prone, so any coming together has a chance to injure him more than most. There was nothing wrong with the tackle. You're entitled to feel aggrieved at the misfortune, but it's unfair to blame the player. If Martinez had raked him down the shins, or broken his ankle coming through the back of him two-footed, then yes, the nickname would be in poor taste. That's not his game though, he's actually a very accomplished ball playing CB.

Now, compare that to Neil 'Razor' Ruddock, who was just a thug in football boots and once broke both of Andy Cole's legs in a reserve game. He's worn the event like a badge of honour and admitted he just enjoyed kicking Cole... because he's a cnut who should never have been on a football pitch. His nickname wasn't tongue in cheek at all. Thankfully times have changed.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Reminded me of the type of Parks football players I used to play with over 50 years ago.
Overweight, slow, out of condition and struggling to keep up with the game. So he resorted to diving into fouls to slow other players down. What fun.

Bangor_Red

Erik's on now out until April or May. Ref took no action on it. Surely that's exactly the type of incident that should be reviewed by fa for violent conduct. It was a horrendous challenge and ref and car looked at it and decided not even a yellow. I don't know how anyone deem that only a free kick and not a red nevermind a yellow

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ref couldn’t wait to send him off though apparently

M Bison

Supports
York City
Just glad he didnt hurt Casemiro with that sliding tackle.

And then walks off shaking his head, surprised he got SO, shocking!

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I completely agree, our fans are just as bad. Even more recently, on one hand, the Jones tackle on Cantona or Keane on Haaland.
I really can't understand how anyone tries to justify what Carroll did against us!
We all could see that he was intent on hurting someone from the start and he got what he wanted.
Please don't come here and insult our intelligence sticking up for him.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Useless donkey. Should've retired years ago. Reckon the only reason he hasn't retired is because he'd struggle to get work. No chance he'd be a good coach - what could any young player possibly learn from him? Strikers nowadays have to offer more than just being a big lump up top.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair, not many - if any - were complaining about the tackle that's put out VdB for the season either (though true, a lot less people care about VdB, but I digress) .. yes that was a total accident, but it wasn't malicious in any way.

Carroll's was quite clearly a malicious foul.

OverratedOpinion

Has there ever been a more lopsided 2 signings in quick succession than Carroll and Suarez, I mean both are pricks but jeez.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Tried to injure Eriksen AND Casemiro. Almost did the complete job. Vile cnut.

SAFMUTD

He should be suspended for at least the time that Eriksen will be injured. That foul was as dirty as it gets fecking cnut.

Djemba-Djemba

It's scary to think if Casemiro hadn't reacted in time or Carroll had just hit him a bit quicker he genuinely could have taken both Eriksen and Casemiro out for the rest of the season.

RedIan

I do wonder how much of Carolls thuggish tackling is on Paul Ince. How likely is it that INCE instructed Carroll
to go in hard on uniteds midfield. After the game Ince was defending Carrol and blaming the referee for sending him off Saying that was never a booking etc..
For me the tackle on Erikson was a red, no card. The tackle on Cassamiro was also a straight red, 2nd yellow given.

Cas18

I do wonder how much of Carolls thuggish tackling is on Paul Ince. How likely is it that INCE instructed Carroll
to go in hard on uniteds midfield. After the game Ince was defending Carrol and blaming the referee for sending him off Saying that was never a booking etc..
For me the tackle on Erikson was a red, no card. The tackle on Cassamiro was also a straight red, 2nd yellow given.
Always thought Ince comes across as quite bitter. How the presenter could call him a United legend I don't know.

Swedish_Plumber

I saw a tweet earlier showing 3 pictures of him going in hard against each one of our starting midfield. Fecking twat.

If you’ve tackled someone and it’s resulted in a long injury lay off the chances are the tackle is a horrible one. How he wasn’t booked let alone sent off for the eriksen tackle is outrageous.

It’s the sort of negligence that gets acted upon weeks later by refs and they start sending players off for feck all as a result.

spiriticon

Useless twat of an arse who does nothing good except injuring other players. Should be in MMA getting his lights knocked out.

I hope someone does his ACL in.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Hope someone breaks both his legs.

Purposefully tried to injure both Eriksen and Casemiro the fecktard!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Maguire went in a bit hard on him after the Eriksen tackle but could have been even tougher after what he did to Eriksen.

BorisManUtd

I don't think I hated any player in a very long time. I do hate him with passion now. Idiot injured Eriksen and almost injured Casemiro after that. Prick.