Andy Cole's: ‘You can’t play like that’

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Just an ex pro giving a pub style opinion.

Talking nonsense but entitled to it.

macheda14

I call dibs on starting the next thread when another quote of his is published!

Classical Mechanic

Andy should be in awe that the PE teacher managed to be the tactical equal of vaunted German hipster manager Tommy Tuchel. Nobody expected that a Norwegian troglodyte would be able to master those esoteric tactical equations.

acnumber9

Keane said the same. They’re both right. He’s hampered by the quality of certain players but our record against the likes of Chelsea, City, Liverpool this year is shite. And we haven’t been unlucky not to win those games. We didn’t try to.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Cole was such an underrated striker! That’s all I have to contribute.

El Zoido

The thing is, watching the Chelsea game, we didn’t exactly play a defensive game. It was 0-0 but it wasn’t a park-the-bus performance. If we were more clinical going forward it’d allow us to get a goal and then turn the screw.

Anustart89

The thing is, watching the Chelsea game, we didn’t exactly play a defensive game. It was 0-0 but it wasn’t a park-the-bus performance. If we were more clinical going forward it’d allow us to get a goal and then turn the screw.
Apart from the penalty claim, how many good chances did we even create to be clinical with?

rotherham_red

Just an ex pro giving a pub style opinion.

Talking nonsense but entitled to it.
I suggest you look at which management agency he recently signed up to, and you'll see his recent comments in a new light. It's a shame that it's come to this for someone who was genuinely my hero growing up, but it is what it is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Next: Andy Cole's 'that's now how you make a cup of tea'

Andy Cole concerned by tea lady's philosophy of putting the milk in before the tea.

OleTheGreat

He's totally right. Some of them are really pissed when I mention patterns of play or passing accuracy but when it comes to United, the pace of our game in offense is too slow and predictable. We often give away the ball when pressed with high intensity. We cannot get through to our frontline with ease. Our double-pivot defensive midfielders are way too detached to our forward 4 and we get any kind of purchase only when Bruno has something to do with it. So I totally agree with Keane, Cole and anybody who says we don't play attractive football because it is true. We have come a long way from Moyes', LvG's and Jose's team but the improvement has come only in terms of potential and not actually showing that we can come up with a goal when we put our minds together on the pitch. The passing is so sloppy that I have sometimes punched the wall. Getting out from the back is the most tedious thing in the world and we get caught out so easily. Matic, McFred are not good midfielders but only decent only and should play as fringe. We definitely need a player like Camavinga, Frederico Valverde, Neves or Rice who can sit in front of the defense line and keep the ball/play a decent ball forward and everything must go through him. Pogba and Bruno/De Beek must play 8s and as part of the forward play and everything will gel together.

OleBoiii

You can't make threads like these.

Oh, I just saw who the poster is. Never mind!

El Zoido

Apart from the penalty claim, how many good chances did we even create to be clinical with?
Well we get in to good attacking positions plenty of times. Perhaps clinical is the wrong word, but we often make the wrong decisions in and around the opposition penalty box. Bruno is the only one that seems to know what he’s doing, but if he’s not on it, then we’re totally fecked. We can’t rely on Bruno putting in 5 star performances in order to unlock teams.

We need to be smarter in the final third, I just disagree with Cole’s assertion that we’re defensive. It’s like he only looked at the result.

GoldTrafford99

‘You can’t play like that’: Andy Cole ‘concerned’ by Manchester United’s style under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Former Manchester United striker Andy Cole has expressed his frustration at his old side’s style of play under ex-team-mate Ole gunnar Solskjaer

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...cole-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-style-b1810139.html

It is so moronic to judge Ole's United right now in early 2021 to Ferguson's United in the late 90s like Andy Cole is doing here (and how a lot of posters on here compare us to, to be fair)...

It wouldn't be so moronic to judge Ole's United right now to late 80s Ferguson sides... as that is when Fergie was a couple years into his rebuild just like Ole is now.

As somebody said above; it's just an ex-pro giving a pub-style opinion. Andy Cole's opinion holds as much weight as anybody's. Which is sweet feck all.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Seriously, who even cares anymore? I have heard every opinion in the world on Solskjaer and Man Utd at this stage.

OleBoiii

Is it fair to make the assumption that @UnofficialDevil is MikeLUHG from twitter?
It's him, Mainaldo, Amadeus or Andycole9(or something like that). There's handful more that are consistently negative and manage to bring Ole into absolutely any discussion, but I only remember their usernames when I see them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought all ex players are Ole friends and won't say anything against him? Well one more thing people randomly made to support their agenda.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I am not going to rest until I hear the opinion of Sir Teveth in perfect English.

Smores

Keane said the same. They’re both right. He’s hampered by the quality of certain players but our record against the likes of Chelsea, City, Liverpool this year is shite. And we haven’t been unlucky not to win those games. We didn’t try to.
Yeah but what do these ex Fergie players know, only the current ex Fergie player manages us gets United. Oh and caf members of course.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some people will judge this based off the headline... but really there is nothing that controversial in what he's said, or revelatory, nor anything Ole wouldn't agree with himself.

We won't win the league drawing 0-0 with our big team rivals... we know that, he knows that, and I'm sure he'll want to sort it.

‘You can’t play like that’: Andy Cole ‘concerned’ by Manchester United’s style under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Former Manchester United striker Andy Cole has expressed his frustration at his old side’s style of play under ex-team-mate Ole gunnar Solskjaer

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...cole-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-style-b1810139.html
it’s a fair point. Frankly it’s just an obvious observation. You need to score goals in games to win the league? Thanks Michael Owen. Not having a go at Cole.

but we were never going to challenge or win the league this year.

we are evolving. Hopefully setting the platform to challenge next season. We all know we need some improvements in order to do so.

Foxbatt

It is so moronic to judge Ole's United right now in early 2021 to Ferguson's United in the late 90s like Andy Cole is doing here (and how a lot of posters on here compare us to, to be fair)...

It wouldn't be so moronic to judge Ole's United right now to late 80s Ferguson sides... as that is when Fergie was a couple years into his rebuild just like Ole is now.

As somebody said above; it's just an ex-pro giving a pub-style opinion. Andy Cole's opinion holds as much weight as anybody's. Which is sweet feck all.
True but should we compare this to Fergies Aberdeen side and why United offered him the job in the first place? When Fergie took over United was second from bottom.

OleBoiii

We won't win the league drawing 0-0 with our big team rivals... we know that, he knows that, and I'm sure he'll want to sort it.
False. In 2009 we won the league comfortably and broke 90 points(I think?). We only got 5 out of 18 possible points against our biggest rivals.

killerboi2

Thought it was another song by the way the title was written... fortunately not.

Anyway, Ole's style of football is far, far better than Mourinho's or especially Van Gaal's in my opinion. Better character, better players, better team, far more flair to our game etc. People seem to have really short memories as to how garbage we were asthetically when LVG and Mourinho were our manager.

Walters_19_MuFc

Can't say he's wrong but football is fine margins and although our record against the top sides' is quite poor, on a different day we win vs Liverpool, Arsenal. Had clear-cut chances.

Overall, I do think we need to be a bit more adventurous, though.

Maybe the 6-1 drubbing against Spurs has been in the mind of Ole. Maybe he feels he needs more at the back or protection from midfield to be a bit more adventurous. Who knows? Either way, I can imagine Ole and the staff will be working hard behind the scenes to rectify this.

One thing I will say, and Neville alluded to it on Sunday against Chelsea, is that we did press better. By no means the finished article, but AWB and Shaw were pressed really high and there were a few times we won the ball back in good areas. Unfortunately, we lacked the quality to punish them.

All in all, I think we're showing progression, which ultimately is what we want to see from Ole.

The next step will be taking the games to the better sides, so to speak.

Bwuk

I agree with Andy Cole.

It's better than Mourinho but I don't think we are an attacking side at all.

GoldTrafford99

True but should we compare this to Fergies Aberdeen side and why United offered him the job in the first place? When Fergie took over United was second from bottom.

But Fergie finished 11th, 2nd, 11th again, then 13th....

We could judge our current side against Fergie's Aberdeen if Fergie's Aberdeen played in the same league as a football club owned by an entire state.

NecssryEvil

Since United has had a rock solid starting 11 and good backups at every position since Ole started as manager, I don't see how anyone can defend him. Ole was handed a team ready to contend for not only the league, but the CL as well so anything short of that he needs to take the blame for and ex-players are absolutely the best source to find that. Good for AC, telling it like it is. We need to find as many ex players as possible to find fault and say it out loud or no one will notice that Ole has taken a team on the verge of greatness and ripped it apart for his own ego.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
False. In 2009 we won the league comfortably and broke 90 points(I think?). We only got 5 out of 18 possible points against our biggest rivals.
The league was a lot different in 2009 - for a start our competitors were only really Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal (and we beat Chelsea).

If we were only dropping points in the 10 games vs. other top 6 and we won the rest then yeah that would be in with a shout this season... but of course it doesn't really work like that.