Andy Goram given 6 months to live - RIP The Goalie

SER19

This Scotsman’s article lays it out pretty well: self-confessed cases (plural) of infidelity, racism and xenophobia, and a good ol’ sprinkling of sectarianism to boot.

Ferguson giving this oafish brute a ‘career’ at Old Trafford was one of the great man’s biggest mistakes, IMO. Goram should’ve never been let inside the door.

Christ maybe leave it an hour before stirring up resentment over a 13 year old article. How do you know he didn't change and reflect in recent years?

Varun1

This Scotsman’s article lays it out pretty well: self-confessed cases (plural) of infidelity, racism and xenophobia, and a good ol’ sprinkling of sectarianism to boot.

Ferguson giving this oafish brute a ‘career’ at Old Trafford was one of the great man’s biggest mistakes, IMO. Goram should’ve never been let inside the door.
First time I've come across this. Was this known before his stint with us?

Edit: Been reading up on it, looks like it was known.

Last edited:

UnitedFire

RIP
We really need that cancer research to make more traction. Too many lost to Cancer.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Jesus Christ fecking give it a day will ya? This is coming from someone he would have been sectarian against. Be the bigger person ffs

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Unfortunately gone already. Rest in peace Goalie.

I've always found the language around cancer to be really, really fecking weird. You're not in a "battle". You can't just fight harder and do something to win. The idea of a "short battle" almost implies that he somehow gave up before other people who had a "longer battle" did.

RIP.

lsd

The Oracle
Jesus Christ fecking give it a day will ya? This is coming from someone he would have been sectarian against. Be the bigger person ffs

Yeah better to leave it like that, very much a nothing good to say then best to say nothing kind of scenario

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rip. He was one of the few united players who stood up to Keane and survived to tell the tale

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't know how it feels to face your own mortality in such a way.

May he rest in peace.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I've always found the language around cancer to be really, really fecking weird. You're not in a "battle". You can't just fight harder and do something to win. The idea of a "short battle" almost implies that he somehow gave up before other people who had a "longer battle" did.

RIP.
I guess it's for giving the patients encouragement and what not, a mental aspect perhaps.
Truth is most can do very little in these cases, simply put it's out of your hand.

Last edited:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He was part of a really special time in Scottish football. Some absolutely fantastic players at both Celtic and Rangers and there really was no other game like it in the world at that time:

It is not a time to bring up the past, when we have no idea how people felt about those moments in recent years, or how others may have forgiven them.

It’s ok to mourn one of the greats of the Scottish game and be sad for those that have lost someone they loved.

RIP

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thoughts with his family and sincerest condolences to them at this difficult time, but not a shred of feeling - sadness or otherwise - towards Goram himself.
Just no words for why you thought this was a wise thing to bother posting.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
To a few posters quoting me for my comments earlier in this thread and think we all should be lamenting the demise of Andy Goram, have at it. But consider carefully the type of character you’re defending here…

Not to mention Goram was a serial drink-driver who eventually lost his licence due to his litany of driving offences. This, along with his paramilitary ties, racism and bigoted comments over the years, make him one of the most unsavoury characters in football of the last 30 years.

As I said, thoughts are with his family at this time, but with Goram himself? Not for me, thanks.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
To a few posters quoting me for my comments earlier in this thread and think we all should be lamenting the demise of Andy Goram, have at it. But consider carefully the type of character you’re defending here…

Not to mention Goram was a serial drink-driver who eventually lost his licence due to his litany of driving offences. This, along with his paramilitary ties, racism and bigoted comments over the years, make him one of the most unsavoury characters in football of the last 30 years.

As I said, thoughts are with his family at this time, but with Goram himself? Not for me, thanks.
Mate don't be so vindictive someone who did a lot for football just died in rather tragic circumstances and as far as I'm aware didn't commit any seriously crimes like murder for him to be outright censored and deprived of commiserations.

Fine if you don't like him and what not and he certainly doesn't seem to have been a very savory character but this isn't the place for it.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

I grew up in that world with people who would have said very similar things and other who would have been far more aggressive about it. Those same people wouldn’t say those things today.

We don’t know what sort of man he was when he died or how he felt about certain attitudes he had. Horrible attitudes that existed on both sides of the sectarian divide.

It’s a different world today and he might have died a different man. It isn’t the time or the place for the debate.

Joel Miller

Thoughts with his family and sincerest condolences to them at this difficult time, but not a shred of feeling - sadness or otherwise - towards Goram himself.
What a classless individual you are.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
First time I've come across this. Was this known before his stint with us?

Edit: Been reading up on it, looks like it was known.
Well known and probably explains why thread isn’t so active

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
RIP.

But at this moment I think we should also remember him for the laughs he gave us. Legend in his own rights.
The story about Fergie's phone call when bringing him on loan to United was great. Goram told him to f*ck off because he thought it was Allie McCoist taking the piss. Fergie called him back and said "You've got ten seconds to decide yay or naw, ya fat b*stard..."

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

That passage is shocking

Bertie Wooster

As a Man United and Rangers fan (like 'The Goalie' himself), I'm saddened by the news of Andy Goram's death.

He was a brilliant keeper and was part of a fantastic Rangers team - and in an era where both Old Firm teams had strong sides and some top quality players.

Sad to lose him at any time, let alone at a relatively early age.

RIP.

PoTMS

What a classless individual you are.
I'm sure @Buchan will sleep just fine at night. I think sometimes people forget this is a football forum. Somehow I don't think Andy Goran's family will be too concerned about what a bunch of United fans think. Perceived "class" and "decorum" doesn't win you any internet points.

Joel Miller

I'm sure @Buchan will sleep just fine at night. I think sometimes people forget this is a football forum. Somehow I don't think Andy Goran's family will be too concerned about what a bunch of United fans think. Perceived "class" and "decorum" doesn't win you any internet points.
Considering he had a brief stint at the club and was a boyhood fan, I’m sure they’d care. But that’s not really the point here, it doesn’t matter that they’ll never see this - the point was people don’t need to chime in with these needless jibes when the man’s not even cold. At times like this it’s best to abide by the old saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. I don’t think this being a football forum means class and decorum go out the window.

Coming here immediately after his death, amidst tributes to sully the man is completely classless and cold hearted. As someone else noted he wasn’t exactly an angel but he wasn’t some horrid criminal either. If a rival legend like Frank McAvennie feels he wants to pay tribute to him, that should probably tell people something.

Reactions: sizzling sausages