Andy Mitten article about Anderson in ESPN

Macern

Pee pee pants
Not really. Cleverley got injured in the fourth game of EPL. And Ando soon after it. It was Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs carrying our midfield in the first half of the season, and in the second half Scholesy returned.

They essentially did nothing after the Chelsea match.
Well, you obviously remember better than me :). I thought it was for half a season but I don’t remember so well so I’ll trust your judgement.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He should have never moved here, for all his gifts, Fergie never used a pure 10, and trying to play Ando in a midfield 2 was always going to end one way.

Obviously Anderson failing was in no fault of SAF, chances are he'd have found a pie recipe somewhere regardless.
why would that end up only one way? Anderson was one of the best young prospects in the world football so we naturally moved for him, it is the same with players of the top quality you always find a spot for them. Sometimes it just doesn't work out liek with Veron or Anderson but life goes on and decision was totally right, next time you'd say we don't move for someone like Ronaldinho because he plays in position we don't use, sigh.

Anderson didn't make it because he did ACL twice and had countless of hamstring coming back from injuries, unfortunately it was way too much so he gave up in the end but he was doing good in midfield for Fergie at some point and I believe SAF could convert him into a top midfielder, the boy just had way too many major injuries. I'd question more players like Martial

arthurka

why would that end up only one way? Anderson was one of the best young prospects in the world football so we naturally moved for him, it is the same with players of the top quality you always find a spot for them. Sometimes it just doesn't work out liek with Veron or Anderson but life goes on and decision was totally right, next time you'd say we don't move for someone like Ronaldinho because he plays in position we don't use, sigh.

Anderson didn't make it because he did ACL twice and had countless of hamstring coming back from injuries, unfortunately it was way too much so he gave up in the end but he was doing good in midfield for Fergie at some point and I believe SAF could convert him into a top midfielder, the boy just had way too many major injuries. I'd question more players like Martial
He never looked fit to be fair , that might have had something to do with him getting injured all the time .

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Anderson didn't make it because he didn't have the mentality.

And you suggesting buying players for systems that we don't use. Sigh.

Ronaldinho wouldn't have become half the player here that he did at Barca simply because he wouldn't fit here, Ronaldo was a better buy as the system we used suited him perfectly.

CallyRed

Couldn't strike a ball at goal with any real power or accuracy, but passed ok.

He was a strange player.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Anderson didn't make it because he didn't have the mentality.

And you suggesting buying players for systems that we don't use. Sigh.

Ronaldinho wouldn't have become half the player here that he did at Barca simply because he wouldn't fit here, Ronaldo was a better buy as the system we used suited him perfectly.
Anderson didnt make it becasue he spent half career on a treatment table, he was mentally strong that after so many heavy injuries which would end players careers he came back, in the end he gave up too but nothing wrong buying a player of top potential. He would have been a fantastic CM if not for injuries. Yeah ask SAF Mr. I know everything, he himself said he regrets not signing him, he would be building around that player or make him click. It is BS, not to have a punt on a world class player even though there is no space for him in the team, again ask SAF :rolleyes:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Anderson didnt make it becasue he spent half career on a treatment table, he was mentally strong that after so many heavy injuries which would end players careers he came back, in the end he gave up too but nothing wrong buying a player of top potential. He would have been a fantastic CM if not for injuries. Yeah ask SAF Mr. I know everything, he himself said he regrets not signing him, he would be building around that player or make him click. It is BS, not to have a punt on a world class player even though there is no space for him in the team, again ask SAF :rolleyes:
You're seriously argumentative, he never had a good mentality, he was/is unfit, he was gassed at 70 mins, which for a 'top midfielder' is shocking.

SAF wasn't infallible, he also said Song would be great, signed a lot of average players, and yeah signing players with huge potential always makes sense, but signing players who won't fit in our system would and will never work.

Not saying I know it all either, calm down, I'm arguing my point and your arguing yours, no need to start acting like a petulant child.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If anderson was with us now he'd probably be getting more stick on here than everyone else combined for his laziness and erratic performances, combined with his lack of talent vs. hype around him. I do wonder what the feck everyone's smoking if they actually look back on the guy fondly.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
You're seriously argumentative, he never had a good mentality, he was/is unfit, he was gassed at 70 mins, which for a 'top midfielder' is shocking.

SAF wasn't infallible, he also said Song would be great, signed a lot of average players, and yeah signing players with huge potential always makes sense, but signing players who won't fit in our system would and will never work.

Not saying I know it all either, calm down, I'm arguing my point and your arguing yours, no need to start acting like a petulant child.
ok but sorry that is not true at all, he was gassed after 70minutes later in his career when he was coming back form his injuries, when he arrive he was absolutely full of energy making surging runs and so on. I am not sure if you ever played football but it is totally natural for a footballer to gain a bit of weight when you torn your ligaments in your knee, wehn you can¨t play for 7 months and come back and try to be back asap you do your hamstrings quite often because your body is not ready for that, can see that frustration and stamina goes down as well when you cant constantly train. By no chance Anderson was gassed when he first arrived he was a midfield dynamo 80m midfielder before the big injuries happen, and yes I agree that he lacked mentality in the end but name a player who would torn his knee twice and ever played football on top level, there are maybe few examples in the world sports...

It was absolutely right buy him at the time and he was developping well, that he was playing in a position we don¨t play it is overstated, best players can adapt and fergie saw a lot of talent which he certainly had to make a transition into a top midfielder and I am not acting childish just hate when somebody is trying to twist the facts

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
His YouTube compilation before he got here looked like a totally different player to the one we got. You’ve got to assume it was because of the bad injury he had the season before he arrived.

I know YouTube is no way to completely judge a player, but everything about him seemed different.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We had such a great team and characters.

Foxbatt

HAs he actually played for his new club? I always has a soft spot for him as he always give 100% and there are things he could do that most others in our team cannot. He is very good in his tackling and he cannot be easily dispossessed. People say he shoots his passes but he has an eye for a pass. I have found out that he has been involved in a lot of our great goals too and it is his pass that led to Berbatov pulling his trick or his lob that started the thrashing of Arsenal etc. He is not a defensive midfield player but an attacking left side player and SAF turned him into a defensive midfield player. For all his failures, he has got a lot of trophies that most people would envy. He did play in two CL Finals too and scoring and winning in one.

Sir Scott McToMinay

HAs he actually played for his new club? I always has a soft spot for him as he always give 100% and there are things he could do that most others in our team cannot. He is very good in his tackling and he cannot be easily dispossessed. People say he shoots his passes but he has an eye for a pass. I have found out that he has been involved in a lot of our great goals too and it is his pass that led to Berbatov pulling his trick or his lob that started the thrashing of Arsenal etc. He is not a defensive midfield player but an attacking left side player and SAF turned him into a defensive midfield player. For all his failures, he has got a lot of trophies that most people would envy. He did play in two CL Finals too and scoring and winning in one.
Anderson should’ve gone to a team that was playing with a number 10 at the time, which is what he was.
I’m glad he came to United though, I’m sure his fantastic character brought a lot of good vibe to the dressing room.

Never really managed to find his place as a starter in the team for any prolonged periods, but still played well at times, particularly in his first season here.

Sing you a song

Nothing but good memories about him always a smile on his face always loved the club . Not the best midfielder we ever had but gave his all and enjoyed every minute he played on the pitch ,
One of the rare good guys in the game

MAME DIOUF 32

It didn't work out for a number of reasons. Largely injuries and the fact that he was an overgrown kid. A couple more years under Sir Alex and he might have been something.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Anderson should’ve gone to a team that was playing with a number 10 at the time, which is what he was.
I’m glad he came to United though, I’m sure his fantastic character brought a lot of good vibe to the dressing room.

Never really managed to find his place as a starter in the team for any prolonged periods, but still played well at times, particularly in his first season here.
People always said this about him but how can you have a no.10 who finishes like Gary Neville?

Red00012

Nothing but good memories about him always a smile on his face always loved the club . Not the best midfielder we ever had but gave his all and enjoyed every minute he played on the pitch ,
One of the rare good guys in the game
So do you feel the same about Jesse Lingard ? Anderson was rubbish end of , happy face or not.
Scored the pen obviously but feck me, I’m sure Lingard is a character In the dressing room too.

redMundo

So do you feel the same about Jesse Lingard ? Anderson was rubbish end of , happy face or not.
Scored the pen obviously but feck me, I’m sure Lingard is a character In the dressing room too.
Just no.

Anderson actually achieved things with us.

I didn’t think Anderson was good enough for us and he was chubby and he was frequently injured.

As apposed to Lingard though he genuinely had some tangeable strengths.
He was also a GOOD character in the dressing room who was genuinely likeable, funny and a bit eccentric.

Jesse Lingard on the other hand reminds me of my 14 year old neice and needs to get some friends his own age.

Lynty

Lingard is a very useful player to have around the squad. Most opposition fans see this.

SATA

He wasn't very good here. He won lots of things because he had some great teammates around him, not because of his own brilliance. Only meaningful thing he did was probably the penalty he converted in the Moscow shootout. I can remember some good individual moments from Lingard in a United shirt but not from Anderson. His happy face just clouds people's judgement here

Red00012

Just no.

Anderson actually achieved things with us.

I didn’t think Anderson was good enough for us and he was chubby and he was frequently injured.

As apposed to Lingard though he genuinely had some tangeable strengths.
He was also a GOOD character in the dressing room who was genuinely likeable, funny and a bit eccentric.

Jesse Lingard on the other hand reminds me of my 14 year old neice and needs to get some friends his own age.
Ok.

Foxbatt

Actually Anderson was involved in a lot of good moments for United. He is like the supporting actor in a movie. I found that it was Anderson who spotted the space and made the pass to Berbatov in the West Ham game. He was the one who lobbed for Welbeck to start the avalanche against Arsenal. When you look at a lot of the good goals United had scored he was involved in them just before the player who assisted the goal. It was tough to dispossess him and he does have an eye for the pass and space. He cannot shoot for his like and I think this happened after his horrific injury just before he came to United. SAF put him in the wrong place as he never was a DM.

Sing you a song

No comparison Anderson came across as a genuine guy with a real love for the club .Lingard comes across as a self loving little moron who only cares about himself .
Neither good enough to be united regulars but at least Anderson was likeable.Hope that clears it up

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Personally I don't think you can underestimate how important a players "off the field" attributes are. There is a reason why players who may not have been up to scratch technically and physically had such decent careers under SAF at Utd.

At the time Anderson was at OT it was probably the most intense and pressurized dressing room in the world regards of the footballing side of things and constantly challenging in pretty much all competitions, pretty much every season.

By all accounts the guy was the most loveable eegit imaginable...kinda like a less annoying version of Jimmy Bullard.

I'd be willing to bet that no-one from that dressing room would have a bad word to say about the lad, and the even the mere mention of his name would make them smile, even SAF. Theres an interview knocking about somewhere and SAF is saying he is one of the loveliest lads he has ever known and you can see in his face how he really is fond of the lad.

He wouldve been great in the dressing room under Mourinho and Van Gaal! :lol:

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Personally I don't think you can underestimate how important a players "off the field" attributes are. There is a reason why players who may not have been up to scratch technically and physically had such decent careers under SAF at Utd.

At the time Anderson was at OT it was probably the most intense and pressurized dressing room in the world regards of the footballing side of things and constantly challenging in pretty much all competitions, pretty much every season.

By all accounts the guy was the most loveable eegit imaginable...kinda like a less annoying version of Jimmy Bullard.

I'd be willing to bet that no-one from that dressing room would have a bad word to say about the lad, and the even the mere mention of his name would make them smile, even SAF. Theres an interview knocking about somewhere and SAF is saying he is one of the loveliest lads he has ever known and you can see in his face how he really is fond of the lad.

He wouldve been great in the dressing room under Mourinho and Van Gaal! :lol:

Ha, imagine he would have been slated by the Uber top reds on Twitter.

The truth is Anderson was a good player not a great one. He was an important part of the squad for a few seasons, squads that relied on the quality of 5 or so top players to get us through a season.

The issues for Anderson and a few others came when the top players either left or became too old. Their lack of quality (for a top club anyway) became more apparent at this point.

SirAF

Ageist
Ha, imagine he would have been slated by the Uber top reds on Twitter.

The truth is Anderson was a good player not a great one. He was an important part of the squad for a few seasons, squads that relied on the quality of 5 or so top players to get us through a season.

The issues for Anderson and a few others came when the top players either left or became too old. Their lack of quality (for a top club anyway) became more apparent at this point.
Yeah, Anderson got screwed by injuries as well.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I love the nutter but every time I see this thread bumped I hope he is not hospitalised of some complication from diabetes or other lifestyle related disease. Players with his body type gain weight fast once they stop playing at a high level.

SirAF

Ageist
I love the nutter but every time I see this thread bumped I hope he is not hospitalised of some complication from diabetes or other lifestyle related disease. Players with his body type gain weight fast once they stop playing at a high level.

Only if they pig out, but I’m not betting against that :D

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
One of the most talented players I've seen when he was in Porto. Sadly I dont think SAF was right with his choice of training him to be more of a box to box and work on his strength and balance instead of letting him be a pure attacking menace.

Foxbatt

Yes Anderson in full flow was unstoppable. SAF tried to make him into a box to box midfield player. Just like he thought Smudgy can replace Keane. Ando was fairly quick too and can carry the ball and dribble though he was very one footed.

fps

Between Anderson and Fred, I would take Fred. That says it all.

Foxbatt

What has Fred done to come to even close to what Anderson has done at United?