Andy Mitten column: At Manchester United, things are very bad – and could get worse

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I am a Yankee fan, so don't you think the problem with the Rays is that a lot of Florida residents have retired down there from other big Cities so already have an allegiance to other teams.
That certainly is a part of it, but the Lightning have somewhat bucked that trend in recent years with playoff runs. Thing is that the Rays made the playoffs from 2008 to 2013 but didn’t gain the same percentage of attendance increase (roughly around 13K) as the Lightning did coming out of their absolute hell during much the same time. Granted, hockey is a more violent & intimate sport than baseball, intimate in that many great hockey arenas have stands that are built vertically off the ice to keep the sound of the fans on top of the ice & right in front of the fans, but with the exception of the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup in 2004, the playoff records of both the Rays & the Lightning, expansion teams that came into existence within a couple of years of one another, are somewhat similar. Both have far surpassed the Bucs’ playoff records over the past decade.

The Bucs will always have at least 50000 fans in the stadium, so, like the poster who wrote about the attendance rank earlier said, the Glazers will never feel the attendance slipping away due to the welfare state. There are definitely opposing fans en masse in RJ Stadium as well.

I have thought recently what would be the consistent attendance number in OT needs to get to in order to give the Glazers pause & realize how challenging the situation is.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Only issue I have with that article is that the under 18s are okay, 4th in their league and have often looked alright, but he presumably purposely only mentions the cup run.

Other than that, we're in big trouble.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Took them about 15 years and Fergie did the best he could, but the Glazers have ruined this club.

Phil Osophy

Solskjaer will be charged with getting the type of form from his players which he managed when he arrived. One or two will be promoted, most likely centre-back Axel Tuanzebe. The likes of Angel Gomes and Tahith Chong will be sent on loan. Despite desperate, misguided pleas from fans to play the kids, the kids are not ready.
One of the few things that motivated me for next season, giving a shot to the kids in EL, cups, and some isolated games here and there and we won't have it either, apparently.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That certainly is a part of it, but the Lightning have somewhat bucked that trend in recent years with playoff runs. Thing is that the Rays made the playoffs from 2008 to 2013 but didn’t gain the same percentage of attendance increase (roughly around 13K) as the Lightning did coming out of their absolute hell during much the same time. Granted, hockey is a more violent & intimate sport than baseball, intimate in that many great hockey arenas have stands that are built vertically off the ice to keep the sound of the fans on top of the ice & right in front of the fans, but with the exception of the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup in 2004, the playoff records of both the Rays & the Lightning, expansion teams that came into existence within a couple of years of one another, are somewhat similar. Both have far surpassed the Bucs’ playoff records over the past decade.

The Bucs will always have at least 50000 fans in the stadium, so, like the poster who wrote about the attendance rank earlier said, the Glazers will never feel the attendance slipping away due to the welfare state. There are definitely opposing fans en masse in RJ Stadium as well.

I have thought recently what would be the consistent attendance number in OT needs to get to in order to give the Glazers pause & realize how challenging the situation is.
As long as they get full houses they will be happy. They always say match revenue does not matter. Now if TV revenue dropped because nobody wants to watch us, who knows. Value of sponsorship deals dropping and impacting on the value of the club? Now there is a new shirt coming out, everybody will rush out and buy one. Why not just wear the shirts you already have? Then Adidas will be on their backs and it is them who will lose money. It will be a drip, drip, drip effect and might take years until they have run us into the ground.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
As long as they get full houses they will be happy. They always say match revenue does not matter. Now if TV revenue dropped because nobody wants to watch us, who knows. Value of sponsorship deals dropping and impacting on the value of the club? Now there is a new shirt coming out, everybody will rush out and buy one. Why not just wear the shirts you already have? Then Adidas will be on their backs and it is them who will lose money. It will be a drip, drip, drip effect and might take years until they have run us into the ground.
I fully agree with the potential long term deterioration before a rebound occurs.

BlueHaze

Stopped reading after 10 paragraphs. He's just repeating what 90% of us know already.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Stopped reading after 10 paragraphs. He's just repeating what 90% of us know already.
Of course, but he is a fan the same and it is better seeing all our worries actually in print for a wider audience to read, than us weeping on a fan forum.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Andy Mitten pretends to know a lot of things yet says very little, he's just another run of the mill journalist trying to make a penny.

What he's said is not something we didn't know. We are staring at the abyss, we are run by rookies from top to bottom. They are not qualified or competent enough to do a rebuilding job at championship club never mind Utd. Also when it comes to players, need anything to be said when you have this?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Best part of this article is the paragraph about how the players are blaming each other about their paycuts. That's where their priorities are: Money not Man Utd. Shows why there's so little effort on the pitch.
Shows you all you need to know about those cnuts.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What i don't understand is how we went from 14/19 wins as we entered April, to 2 in 10, just as Ole was appointed as permanent manager

Fatigue? Did the players down tools? Did Ole suddenly decide we should start playing shit? Might be wishful thinking, but i think this is our low point and it can only go up from here.
Not much, the players decided that now they have to show everybody that Mourinho was the problem, so they upped their game (right from downing the tools they did prior to Mourinho's sacking), went on for a couple of easy games, had a bit of luck against PSG then they believed their own hype and went back to their complacent selves. Then you've got people like Martial who caught fantastic form prior to his contract prolongation just to magically lose it after it was already prolonged.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd love someone like Herrera or Mata to do an exit interview and explain exactly why they're leaving and what is going on behind the scenes to cause this much bother.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Jonno

He's got his article spot on.

To be fair, when the media tell United they're doing something wrong, they eventually wake up and try to do something. So I think they will get a sporting director, they will try sign 'Man United players' and we will start to press the reset button.

6 years too late. We continue to make poor managerial appointments. We let Pep slip through our fingers, Klopp.... we need to get the next world class manager that comes along, the next world class sporting director that comes along, and begin to add the right players window after window. Sad part is, it will take us years to get back to the top level again.

Dark times ahead, it could get worse before it gets better.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Should be obvious by now that the issues started shortly after Woody taking over and handing exhorbitant contracts to bad/average players. SAF still papered over the cracks but he quit at the right time for him.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
There's just a different feeling now, compared to other years post Fergie. While it's been common knowledge the board at the club is lacking in competence and for some reason is reluctant to create position for a DOF or whatever you want to call it, and therefore is lacking in planning and recruitment, there was always this belief somewhere that the manager could navigate through some of these issues. Two failed managers later, the same issues persists and aren't going away until someone wakes up & bring the club into the 21st century.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ole said we could finish behind those teams in his last PC so it could be him.

JMack1234

It's a vitally important summer and have literally no confidence in the people in charge.

Fasten your seatbelts guys.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
feck sake, this is all so depressing right now, every thread, headline and rumour make coming onto these forums so bloody bleak, then you look across to the likes of City and Liverpool and see how well they’re doing, being run and playing and you realise how far we’ve fallen.

Unless these Glazer cnuts and Woodward walk away I’m struggling to see where and when it’ll get any better. *sigh*
I think the Liverpool supporters were critical of the owners up until a year or two ago. Get the right manager in and things can turn quickly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think the Liverpool supporters were critical of the owners up until a year or two ago.
Exactly. They lucked-in to getting Klopp.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We aren't even a sinking ship, we are at the bottom of the ocean.

Lee565

But remember, any discussion for fans action is cringeworthy, embarrassing or pointless and anyway, Ed scowled at the camera anyway and gave a look that said 'football manager signings mode'.

Every bit of decline from here, many fans are complicit. When are we going to get real and stop swallowing the shit
Exactly, lets not forget Liverpool had a similar issue of out of touch American owners making a mockery of their club before their current one took over and they made an effort to put pressure on them and they sold the club off.

We just seem to put our fingers in our ears and sing "Ole's at the wheel".

passing-wind

This is the problem with Solskjaer being appointed, would any manager with ambition to win things have these three in their like up ?

I highly doubt Woodward would have offered extensions without getting the consent from Ole.

Absolute disgrace

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is the problem with Solskjaer being appointed, would any manager with ambition to win things have these three in their like up ?

I highly doubt Woodward would have offered extensions without getting the consent from Ole.

Absolute disgrace
Smalling extended his contract when Jose was the manager.

Sweet Square

Pretty much this. Considering the reaction on here I was expecting at least something in the article but we heard it all before.

Honestly people on here are so over dramatic.

Gator Nate

I think one of the problems here is that United didn't have a Hugh Culverhouse in charge before the Glazers. You lack perspective. You cannot compare United to the Bucs because of that. :lol:

GBBQ

well we could've lucked into getting him too if Woodward hadn't presented us as some sort of football version of Disneyland.
Do we have to keep trotting this line out? if that's the sole reason Klopp turned us down then he's as much a fool as Woodward. Likelihood is he felt Liverpool were in better shape or that he would not have such intense focus on what he was doing at Liverpool and could put his plan together.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Do we have to keep trotting this line out? if that's the sole reason Klopp turned us down then he's as much a fool as Woodward. Likelihood is he felt Liverpool were in better shape or that he would not have such intense focus on what he was doing at Liverpool and could put his plan together.
I imagine the two are inter-twined.

Either way we didn't get him cause we fecked up.

Scholes1982

That's a fairly mundane article. It's just repeating what we all know. Any one of us could have written that.