Andy Mitten column: At Manchester United, things are very bad – and could get worse

bsCallout

I've already decided I will not be watching football next year. Too much time wasted. I will watch the progress of our youth players where possible. Maybe it is growing up, and a change of priorities, or maybe it is disillusionment.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I've already decided I will not be watching football next year. Too much time wasted. I will watch the progress of our youth players where possible. Maybe it is growing up, and a change of priorities, or maybe it is disillusionment.
I'm calling bs.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
All Ole has to do is confirm that reports about the Glazer's and Woodward are true. It might cost him his job but there's will be a massive protest making certain positions untenable.
Interesting thought. Also Rio, Beckham, Neville would support him... there’s a United Legends game coming up... might be some interesting chats on the fringes

bsCallout

I'm calling bs.
I've only watched the 'big' games since Mourinho started to ruin things this year, so it won't be a big step. If Ole brought through Greenwood, Garner, Gomes into the first team set up I may be inclined to watch the odd weekend game.

Roboc7

A matter of time. Only potential obstacle is the growth in popularity of football globaly. This is the main reason as for why we are still financially profitable... If this growth translates into an even more lucrative new EPL-deal in 2021 and the new CL-deal the year after, then this might neutralize the detoriation of this club financially. And the Glazers can continue their ownership over their neglicted cash-cow.
This is why they won’t sell, their potential to make even more money by the value of the club going up. Increased tv revenue or streaming of more games at some stage could all add more to the value of the club.

Their end game is to sell but not until every revenue stream is exhausted and they are satisfied no one else can come in and make more money. Until then they will only invest what they have to into the team get us in the top 4 and protect the brand. The stadium and other infrastructure will be neglected and only patched up as required.

These guys aren’t intelligent businessmen and women, their the children of one. This club is more like a trust fund which pays them millions a year for doing little or nothing and will eventually provide them with a huge lump sum.

crossy1686

career ending
Interesting thought. Also Rio, Beckham, Neville would support him... there’s a United Legends game coming up... might be some interesting chats on the fringes
I certainly hope we get some more transparency as to what's going on behind the scenes. If Fergie or the class of 92 wanted to buy the club, they could lobby for financial support or even get a loan and put it on the club again, non of us would grumble about it as long as the right people were in charge at the top.

KristianMackle

These are the kinds of articles we will be seeing for a while because every neutral enjoys it. I don't put much stock into these. Protect your sanity.

Alabaster Codify7

Football is only good when you win innit
No,football is supposed to be entertainment. I personally have been entertained about 15 times in 6-7yrs since SAF left. It's now a chore.

I loved watching the World Cup as a complete neutral. It was entertaining. Watching Utd isn't and hasn't been for years,including our Europa League win. The end game was good,but the campaign was horrifically boring.

Craig Ward

Ole gives me hope - he says the right things and is good with the media, he is a utd man through and through.

His job is massive. He has to work with Woodward (the worst CEO in our history), who is a money man with no long term plan for the club. Ole has no DOF, we are a club without structure.

Ole also inherits 4 managers worth of players, all used to different styles of play.

Ole also inherits players with the wrong attitude to be at the club.

In an ideal world, we hire a DOF, get a long term scouting plan, realistic transfer targets based on attitude and footballing ability rather then marketability, have at LEAST 10 out the door, have some decent signings and work with a squad of 20-23.

Ole has an absolutely enormous job. Every loss will be scrutinised, Ole needs the fans to keep the faith and trust him. It's not an easy fix, it will take 2-3 years to get any where near a decent squad capable of a regular top 4 challenge.

Players who need to leave based on ability:
Young, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Darmian, Lingard
Players who need to leave based on attitude:
Pogba, Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku

Then we have contract issues with Mata & Herrera.

All this cannot happen in 1 window.

Its gunna be a bumpy few years folks

el3mel

Ok so a better idea is to sell 2 centre backs and bring in at least 3 new ones?
Yep like what City did in getting rid of all their fullback and signing 3 in one summer.

As I said these excuses are getting old.

purgethefallen

As long as they get full houses they will be happy. They always say match revenue does not matter. Now if TV revenue dropped because nobody wants to watch us, who knows. Value of sponsorship deals dropping and impacting on the value of the club? Now there is a new shirt coming out, everybody will rush out and buy one. Why not just wear the shirts you already have? Then Adidas will be on their backs and it is them who will lose money. It will be a drip, drip, drip effect and might take years until they have run us into the ground.
At least I can't be bklamed for that sort of thing, haven't bought a new shirt since the Glazers took over.

Just my little protest. Don't suppose it will do much good though.

clarkydaz

This is why they won’t sell, their potential to make even more money by the value of the club going up. Increased tv revenue or streaming of more games at some stage could all add more to the value of the club.

Their end game is to sell but not until every revenue stream is exhausted and they are satisfied no one else can come in and make more money. Until then they will only invest what they have to into the team get us in the top 4 and protect the brand. The stadium and other infrastructure will be neglected and only patched up as required.

These guys aren’t intelligent businessmen and women, their the children of one. This club is more like a trust fund which pays them millions a year for doing little or nothing and will eventually provide them with a huge lump sum.
this is a fascinating and chilling line, I fear how true it actually is. My impression down the years is that only 2 of the Glazers actually are hands on running the club, and the rest of the family are stateside with little interest in Manchester United, or the sport. So when the club is suffering they are immune to it as long as the dollars are rolling in

Wasn't it the case that Malcom Glazer never actually stepped inside Old Trafford aswell?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Chelsea's meltdowns in 2016 and 2018 were far worse.

People are panicking yet they knew since Aug 2018 this would be a rocky transitional season.

New era starts in summer 2019. Get some enthusiasm ffs.

Hughie77

What i don't understand is how we went from 14/19 wins as we entered April, to 2 in 10, just as Ole was appointed as permanent manager

Fatigue? Did the players down tools? Did Ole suddenly decide we should start playing shit? Might be wishful thinking, but i think this is our low point and it can only go up from here.
Agree, but could see it coming it had to, those players could not keep up the pace they were playing at, started with Burnley at home, it was a Draw we only just got, then gradually got worse, bad game after bad game, ok injuries may have not helped.

And then awful conceded goal after goal, the 2 against wolves were worst, I thought, then the players could not run they were burnt out after that 14 game run, that's why transfer policy needs to change