Andy Mitten: United carried out an investigation into leaks from the dressing room

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think there will be big changes now regarding the behaviour of the players. I suspect the ones in charge in this country have had about enough.

crossy1686

career ending
Ronaldo is quite image conscious also. I'd say it's someone like Matic.
Yeah but Ronaldo couldn’t give a shit about looking good on instagram if he was playing badly or outright shit. We’ve got a bunch of players who let their football get in the way of a promising instagram influencer career.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
:rolleyes:

Imagine all this shit coming out today when we actually need to be concentrating on winning.

If the club knows all these leakers then get rid of them - players and any staff. It's not so difficult. If you're not disciplined and don't want to put the work in, just get rid - that person (s) has shown their laziness and apathy whilst being paid a hell of a lot of money and they are not changing, so get rid.

Where is the CEO to gather these fools and get things in order?

Dante

Average bang
If true, this player in question should have been involved in the first team throughout this season and is likely to be an English player where he has good connections with the British press.
Why? I've lived in the UK all my life and I don't have any links to the British press.

What's more relevant is media awareness and length of stay in the country (though I guess it only takes a minute to get a journalist's contact details). Players like DDG, Mata, Ronaldo and Pogba all do lots of work for the British press and have huge numbers of connections with journalists who interview them 1 on 1. All of them also seem to hyper aware of their image in the media and online.

DDG in particular has been playing regularly in the Premier League since 2011. That's 4 years before either Rashford or Lingard even made their debuts for the club.

crossy1686

career ending

Imagine all this shit coming out today when we actually need to be concentrating on winning.

If the club knows all these leakers then get rid of them - players and any staff. It's not so difficult. If you're not disciplined and don't want to put the work in, just get rid - that person (s) has shown their laziness and apathy whilst being paid a hell of a lot of money and they are not changing, so get rid.

I think a bunch of the United journo’s who have good links have been sitting on this stuff from the players and management side for weeks, they’re putting it out now to set the record straight before the wave of positivity and fresh start comes at the end of the game today. No body wants to hear this shit next week.

Jazz

Why? I've lived in the UK all my life and I don't have any links to the British press.

What's more relevant is media awareness and length of stay in the country. Players like DDG, Mata, Ronaldo and Pogba all do lots of work for the British press and have huge numbers of connections with journalists who interview them 1 on 1. All of them also seem to hyper aware of their image in the media and online.

DDG in particular has been playing regularly in the Premier League since 2011. That's 4 years before either Rashford or Lingard even made their debuts for the club.
I honestly don't think Ronaldo is out there cosying up with the press... he's got options more than others so doubt he's going around moaning to the press. He'd probably more than likely say something directly to be honest.

Dante

Average bang
Rashford wouldn't want to leak that if he was mid-negotiation with the club. In fact, it weakens his public image by making it known.

This leak smells far more like it came from a senior member of staff trying to shame Rashford to the fans.

Jazz

I think a bunch of the United journo’s who have good links have been sitting on this stuff from the players and management side for weeks, they’re putting it out now to set the record straight before the wave of positivity and fresh start comes at the end of the game today. No body wants to hear this shit next week.
I also think that the United hierarchy need to look at their relationship with these various journalists. They need a new comms team. The current model does. not work. Why continue relationships with some of these dolts when they make sure to put negativity out there especially before important matches etc? Again the CEO or Glazer or whomever needs to put their foot down and get things under control. Really sick of it.

Best we can do as fans is give the journalists no engagement. If someone want to read the archived article and discuss it with others fine. Just lessen the clicks and give them less power is my advice to us the fans.

Kaos

I don’t think Rashford’s form could be described as oscillating this season. I can only think of one player who’s form this season does match that description to be honest, and I don’t think many on here would like to hear it.
I'm assume you're referring to Bruno?

Dante

Average bang
I honestly don't think Ronaldo is out there cosying up with the press... he's got options more than others so doubt he's going around moaning to the press. He'd probably more than likely say something directly to be honest.
He's cosied up to the press more than just about any other player in history aside from Beckham. It's his entire brand. And it gets him preferential coverage as a result.

Jazz

Rashford wouldn't want to leak that if he was mid-negotiation with the club. In fact, it weakens his public image by making it known.

This leak smells far more like it came from a senior member of staff trying to shame Rashford to the fans.
You're assuming Rashford or his team are clever.

Jazz

He's cosied up to the press more than just about any other player in history. It's his entire brand. And it gets him preferential coverage as a result.
From what I've heard he hasn't been getting preferential treatment as he's been blamed quite a bit for our problems.

In any case, it doesn't matter, any one who is out there running their mouths can just go.

Dante

Average bang
You're assuming Rashford or his team are clever.
His political manouvering around the school lunches issue and all of his subsequent interviews show that he is. He knows how to play the media like a fiddle.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

The club knows who the leakers are - or at least has strong suspicions - but probably lack the evidence to fully expose them.

I'm wondering what the punishment would be for leaking teamsheets (among other things) to the press. I'd like to think there are are grounds for immediate dismissal due to breach of contract, but I'm not convinced on that.

They can forget about playing professinal football again that's for sure as no football club in their right mind would consider employing them.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Which category does Sancho fall under?
Too early to say definitively, I guess. But he hasn't exactly taken the Premier League by storm. Which I wouldn't put too much down to him, but more to us as a team/club. The boy is clearly talented.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Isn’t Bailly the one who’s been super open about Maguire being picked ahead of him despite playing badly?
Yeah, he did, and it didn't go down well with the club - Bailly hasn't been seen in a United short since then and rightly so.

Blatantly undermining a teammate on Twitter like that is as unprofessional as it gets.

Jazz

The club knows who the leakers are - or at least has strong suspicions - but probably lack the evidence to fully expose them.

I'm wondering what the punishment would be for leaking teamsheets (among other things) to the press. I'd like to think there are are grounds for immediate dismissal due to breach of contract, but I'm not convinced on that.

They can forget about playing professinal football again that's for sure as no football club in their right mind would consider employing them.
Yeah I'm wondering about the punishment too. I believe you should be able to at least suspend them if there is evidence. It shouldn't be difficult to find the leakers to be honest. I want this sorted out before Ten Hag takes over proper. We cannot go forward with this kind of behaviour.

Also, if they don't, the club should look to insert some clause into the contracts that would exact some punishment for these things.

I mean even if say City wasn't doing well, I doubt they would let players get away with crap like this. We just need to be as ruthless.

This all makes me miss Sir Alex...

clarkydaz

if it was false and his team were unhappy with that they would be all over it. Rashford does a great job of shaming himself to the fans all by himself

Dante

Average bang
Yeah, he did, and it didn't go down well with the club - Bailly hasn't been seen in a United short since then and rightly so.

Blatantly undermining a teammate on Twitter like that is as unprofessional as it gets.
He didn't undermine Maguire, did he? Unless I'm thinking of something else, all Bailly did was like a post that suggested he should start.

The fact that a teammate would need to be dropped is kind inevitable given that only 11 are allowed on the pitch at any time. That can't really be seen as an attack on anyone.

Jacob

So fecking sick of this circus. Board has to get behind the manager and show that actions have consequences.

Lingard and Pogba out will be a good start. Then it's time to signal that ageing players with no use should leave asap and be replaced by hungry players. Matic, Mata, Bailly, Jones - see you later.

Also sincerely believe EtH must strip Maguire from the captaincy. Give it to Ronaldo until he leaves and then somebody else with a bit more pondus or passion.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Everybody is focusing on the players, yes the players might have been moaning, but doesn't mean they were the ones giving information to the press. As you say it could be one of the staff.
The person actually leaking to the media could also be a family member or close friend of a player or staff member as well. The player or staff member could be just talking about things to somebody that they trust, not knowing that person is then going to the media afterwards.

Dan_F

Christ. It has to be a British player, because there’s simply no way that Mata, Matic, Ronaldo could speak English or have any connections in the UK press after playing here for the best part of a decade.

Dante

Average bang
if it was false and his team were unhappy with that they would be all over it. Rashford does a great job of shaming himself to the fans all by himself
The club has already said they know who the leakers are and that they believe the leaks will no longer be an issue next season. So whomever it was, is likely leaving. But the reports are that Rashford will stay and be given a chance under EtH. Meaning Rashford isn't considered a source for the the leaks.

Your reasoning is circular. You're saying that Rashford is a leaker because if he didn't leak this story, he would have leaked a rebuttal instead. But that's just your hypothesis being used as evidence for your conclusion. It doesn't make sense.

Dante

Average bang
Christ. It has to be a British player, because there’s simply no way that Mata, Matic, Ronaldo could speak English or have any connections in the UK press after playing here for the best part of a decade.
Foreign players are too stupid. Everyone knows that only English players have the intelligence to pull off such Machiavellian manoeuvres.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He didn't undermine Maguire, did he? Unless I'm thinking of something else, all Bailly did was like a post that suggested he should start.

The fact that a teammate would need to be dropped is kind inevitable given that only 11 are allowed on the pitch at any time. That can't really be seen as an attack on anyone.
I can't recall exactly what Bailly said now and he deleted the tweet shortly after it was posted, but it was something to do with 'Bailly deserving a place ahead of Maguire' or words to that effect. Don't quote me on that though.

Classical Mechanic

Bailly or his agent complained through the press about his situation numerous times

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/22/eric...nar-solskjaer-and-manchester-united-14285249/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...-over-future-amid-raphael-varane-deal-sources

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-player-exits-bailly-25923430

He's played 82 minutes in the PL under Rangnick across two games and hasn't played a single minute for the club this year. I mean if you want to play detective here he's certainly the prime suspect. Even Lingard has been given some minutes.

Dante

Average bang
I can't recall exactly what Bailly said now and he deleted the tweet shortly after it was posted, but it was something to do with 'Bailly deserving a place ahead of Maguire' or words to that effect. Don't quote me on that though.
It was this one, I believe:

clarkydaz

The club has already said they know who the leakers are and that they believe the leaks will no longer be an issue next season. So whomever it was, is likely leaving. But the reports are that Rashford will stay and be given a chance under EtH. Meaning Rashford isn't considered a source for the the leaks.

Your reasoning is circular. You're saying that Rashford is a leaker because if he didn't leak this story, he would have leaked a rebuttal instead. But that's just your hypothesis being used as evidence for your conclusion. It doesn't make sense.
If you think Rashford and his team aint a leak then you are in a distinct minority

hobbers

So it can't be Bailly then and has to be someone who was starting at least somewhat regularly.

Dante

Average bang

So it can't be Bailly then and has to be someone who was starting at least somewhat regularly.
There's no mention of the briefer starting regularly. If anything, it makes more sense for it to be somebody who wasn't starting regularly (and wanted the starting XI to change) and whose own form was oscillating in training.

All we can tell from this story is that the original briefer was a player.

And that this subsequent leak to Northcroft most like came from a member of the coaching team (since the coaching team will know their own opinions and that of the players, but the players wouldn't know the inverse).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

What's more relevant is media awareness and length of stay in the country (though I guess it only takes a minute to get a journalist's contact details). Players like DDG, Mata, Ronaldo and Pogba all do lots of work for the British press and have huge numbers of connections with journalists who interview them 1 on 1. All of them also seem to hyper aware of their image in the media and online.

I would think it would be unlikely to be De Gea, on the basis that I've previously heard Andy Mitten critique him for *not* building relationships with journalists and for rarely agreeing to do interviews throughout most of his time here. The context being his rivalrly with Henderson last year, with Mitten arguing that times like that were when positive relationships with journalists might actually be helpful.

Also note the comment from Sid Lowe when De Gea did give an interview earlier this year:

De Gea has spent years, years, refusing to speak to anyone. Congratulations to David for getting the first interview with him in a long time. Read.
It doesn't paint the picture of the type of person I'd imagine would be leaking stories to the local media.