Andy Mitten: United carried out an investigation into leaks from the dressing room

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I would think it would be unlikely to be De Gea, on the basis that I've previously heard Andy Mitten critique him for *not* building relationships with journalists and for rarely agreeing to do interviews throughout most of his time here. The context being his rivalrly with Henderson last year, with Mitten arguing that times like that were when positive relationships with journalists might actually be helpful.

Also note the comment from Sid Lowe when De Gea did give an interview earlier this year:

It doesn't paint the picture of the type of person I'd imagine would be leaking stories to the local media.
Also he might have his faults, but DDG form has actually saved us from an even worse fate.

hobbers

There's no mention of the briefer starting regularly. If anything, it makes more sense for it to be somebody who wasn't starting regularly (and wanted the starting XI to change) and whose own form was oscillating in training.
No there's no chance they're referring to "training form".

If the briefer was having "oscillating form" and also not "exempt from blame for an awful season" then that's two journalists both indicating they've been told the player was starting games.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Its Rashford isn't it.
That’s got to be either Rashford or Shaw. Lingard’s form wouldn’t be mentioned, so it must be either of them. I’m leaning towards Rashford because we’ve seen him call Maguire a prick before.

MattyLT

All these leaks about leaks makes everyone a suspect, and is very unfair towards those players who haven't done anything of the sort. The club should either name names, or shut up about it.

Classical Mechanic

So it can't be Bailly then and has to be someone who was starting at least somewhat regularly.
Not really, just someone who’s form has been wildly inconsistent which is Bailly to a tee. He has contributed to the bad season. Like the time he scored an OG in the derby and was subbed at half time.

Dante

Average bang
No there's no chance they're referring to "training form".

If the briefer was having "oscillating form" and also not "exempt from blame for an awful season" then that's two journalists both indicating they've been told the player was starting games.
Of course there is. It's the vast majority of what a footballer does in any given week.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would think it would be unlikely to be De Gea, on the basis that I've previously heard Andy Mitten critique him for *not* building relationships with journalists and for rarely agreeing to do interviews throughout most of his time here. The context being his rivalrly with Henderson last year, with Mitten arguing that times like that were when positive relationships with journalists might actually be helpful.

Also note the comment from Sid Lowe when De Gea did give an interview earlier this year:

It doesn't paint the picture of the type of person I'd imagine would be leaking stories to the local media.
It's a nasty state of affairs and shows the level to which client journalism is accepted in football. In a recent podcast, Andy Mitten was incredulous Pogba did not speak with journalists and suggested the press were right to treat him unfairly cause of that.
Is this shit peculiar to this country?

crossy1686

career ending
He didn't undermine Maguire, did he? Unless I'm thinking of something else, all Bailly did was like a post that suggested he should start.

The fact that a teammate would need to be dropped is kind inevitable given that only 11 are allowed on the pitch at any time. That can't really be seen as an attack on anyone.
There was the instagram thing, but before that there were a few leaks about Bailly questioning management about Maguire getting games despite being shit all season

crossy1686

career ending
It's a nasty state of affairs and shows the level to which client journalism is accepted in football. In a recent podcast, Andy Mitten was incredulous Pogba did not speak with journalists and suggested the press were right to treat him unfairly cause of that.
Is this shit peculiar to this country?
I know the podcast you’re referring to and I’d say you’re exaggerating a touch. He said Pogba hadn’t warmed himself to journalists at any point here so there’s no one to fight his corner when gossip stories come out

Smores

If they've identified who it is then no way would they be getting games for the rest of the season.

Someone with mixed form who has dropped out of the team and is leaving, seems a lot like Pogba to me.

Speako

We’ve also just made a quick and recent decision on the future of AWB. Just saying.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why is Grant being mentioned in this all over social media? Seems pretty obvious that both Lingard and Pogba are both immature with zero self-awareness, but Lee Grant? A sort-of-coach emergency backup goal keeper who hit the jackpot by signing for United during Woodward's reign (30K a week rumoured) - why on earth would he be leaking stuff?

Mainoldo

No chance it was Lee Grant. He was a basically a coach. I find that hard to believe. Pogba and Lingard I think.
Grants been the known link for ages. The rumour is pretty old.

Also there’s more than one for various reason. I mean we all know Rashford is a leak and is still here.

Maybe they are talking about the starting line up leak.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Why is Grant being mentioned in this all over social media? Seems pretty obvious that both Lingard and Pogba are both immature with zero self-awareness, but Lee Grant? A sort-of-coach emergency backup goal keeper who hit the jackpot by signing for United during Woodward's reign (30K a week rumoured) - why on earth would he be leaking stuff?
I don't get why people think it's Pogba except that they dislike him so see him in anything negative. There are three main things players would get for leaking stuff.

1) Money. The money they might get from giving the media the odd bit of information would barely be noticeable for any player on a good wage.

2) Positive spin in the media. Pogba certainly doesn't get this, being probably the most negatively discussed player in England throughout his time here.

3) Future employment possibilities for players looking to move into the media after retiring. I highly doubt Pogba will come back to live in England.

Lingard could definitely benefit from both #2 and #3. But Pogba?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Pretty sure Lee Grant was one of them. He was quite buddy-buddy with the TalkSport guys. It's almost definite that Lingard is the other.

I don't think Rashford's is harmful, it's more pro-Rashford propaganda than anti-United. As for Pogba, I don't think he was a leak, everything he wanted to say came from his mouth-piece (the late Mino Raiola) than the press, in fact the press seemed to hate Pogba.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Yeah and as Andy Mitten said, Pogba avoided even trusted United journalists like him. If he's avoiding Mitten then he's definitely not going to be leaking stuff to the press in general, especially the English one.

Main leakers were 2 of Matic, Lingard and Grant.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah and as Andy Mitten said, Pogba avoided even trusted United journalists like him. If he's avoiding Mitten then he's definitely not going to be leaking stuff to the press in general, especially the English one.

Raiola ran his mouth on a regular basis. It all could have come through him or someone else Pogba knows

Caesar2290

I guess we will find out next season...

roseguy64

Raiola ran his mouth on a regular basis. It all could have come through him or someone else Pogba knows
Raiola was seriously ill for months before his death. I doubt he was focusing on that and more on sorting the transfers for Pogba and Haaland than Man Utd's dressing room squabbles.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't get why people think it's Pogba except that they dislike him so see him in anything negative. There are three main things players would get for leaking stuff.

1) Money. The money they might get from giving the media the odd bit of information would barely be noticeable for any player on a good wage.

2) Positive spin in the media. Pogba certainly doesn't get this, being probably the most negatively discussed player in England throughout his time here.

3) Future employment possibilities for players looking to move into the media after retiring. I highly doubt Pogba will come back to live in England.

Lingard could definitely benefit from both #2 and #3. But Pogba?
4) Ego.

MadDogg

Not sure what ego has to do with it. If anything, somebody with a large ego would want to get more out of it for himself. In reality Pogba has generally been fighting a losing battle with the English media for his entire time here, which wouldn't make sense either from his point of view or from the media's point of view if he were the leaker.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not sure what ego has to do with it. If anything, somebody with a large ego would want to get more out of it for himself. In reality Pogba has generally been fighting a losing battle with the English media for his entire time here, which wouldn't make sense either from his point of view or from the media's point of view if he were the leaker.
Maybe so. He obviously had a toxic agent who wasn't afraid to pick fights with his employers on very sensitive occasions, so there's that. And his agent talks on his behalf. I just assume that with him thinking he's more important than everyone else and wanting to be treated differently, it's not a stretch to think he'd undermine the club and his teammates and managers if he feels it serves his own agenda.

But it could be someone else of course, just find him more likely than the others.

MadDogg

Maybe so. He obviously had a toxic agent who wasn't afraid to pick fights with his employers on very sensitive occasions, so there's that. And his agent talks on his behalf. I just assume that with him thinking he's more important than everyone else and wanting to be treated differently, it's not a stretch to think he'd undermine the club and his teammates and managers if he feels it serves his own agenda.

But it could be someone else of course, just find him more likely than the others.
That's the thing, I don't see how it ever has served his own agenda. You'd expect the media to be giving preferential treatment to their sources (whether it's him directly or his agent). He's never had that. He's always been the player most blamed for all the failures of the club, often far more than he actually deserved.

I could be wrong and it turns out he was leaking stuff, but if so then he was absolutely terrible at getting anything in return. I'd find it much more likely to be the players who are treated favourably by the media.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
People complaining about dressing rooms leaks still when United's CEO is leaking everything possible about the club!

You couldn't make it up!!

marcus agrippa

People complaining about dressing rooms leaks still when United's CEO is leaking everything possible about the club!

You couldn't make it up!!
Are you talking about the clip doing the rounds on social media?

If so, you can't possibly be serious. One, he was recorded without his knowledge. Two, he is engaging with a fan who had concerns about the direction the club was going in. People criticize the hierarchy for not doing that, and the second they do, they're crucified!

Jesus. With fans like you, we probably deserve this misery.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Are you talking about the clip doing the rounds on social media?

If so, you can't possibly be serious. One, he was recorded without his knowledge. Two, he is engaging with a fan who had concerns about the direction the club was going in. People criticize the hierarchy for not doing that, and the second they do, they're crucified!

Jesus. With fans like you, we probably deserve this misery.
Feck me indeed.

I am not crucifying anyone. I'm all for a CEO speaking to the fans. I like that style.

But the fact that people were spitting feathers over Lingard speaking to Scholes about dressing room morale in a similar situation (a one on one chat) yet not doing the same over the CEO is what bothers me.

Fans are fickle and have their favourites, likewise they have their scapegoats.
The levels of hypocrisy at times in here is beyond belief.

So chill with your hyperbole and assumptions, and look at it from a different angle, the angle I was coming from.

stevoc

Grants been the known link for ages. The rumour is pretty old.

Also there’s more than one for various reason. I mean we all know Rashford is a leak and is still here.

Maybe they are talking about the starting line up leak.
Do we though?

stevoc

Where did you pull Matic from?