Andy "Big Baby" Robertson

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Always thought he could be another Irwin. Jealous Liverpool got him
I was really jealous of Irwin. Never gave less than an 8 out of 10 performance every game for nearly 10 years. There were other stars in the team but he was always fit and doing the job. It's a good comparison with Robbo.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Starting to own that entire left flank.

montpelier

He's excellent. Great engine, lovely left foot, plenty of pace.

But if I was a top Manager with a decent team I think I might attack Liverpool here. You sit a bigger but quick enough guy off of him, you don't go out to meet him or play 1 vs. 1 against him & then you hit the long diagonals to that side. And make him defend.

Try & stop him driving forward all the time by curtailing the space he has available in front & turning him around when you can.

I mean, he looks like Liverpool's best player a lot of time innit? Him & Alexander-Arsehole are a formidable pair.

The contrast in energy between the teams today - and this guy sets the mood, I think you have to get at him somehow.

This is mainly invaluable ideas & advice for teams that aren't being totally outclassed in every phase & aspect of the play obviously, :D.

PoTMS

I can't get over this one. There was a bunch of us shouting to sign him the summer Hull went down. He's now one of the world's best in his position.

Raw

LB was a mess for Liverpool for years, signed this guy for next to nothing and he's one of the worlds best. Oh how I miss the days of Moreno gifting goals.

Skills

Snitch
I can't get over this one. There was a bunch of us shouting to sign him the summer Hull went down. He's now one of the world's best in his position.
Players below 40m don't exist on Mourinhos radar.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Happily gloat as I recollect arguing with @sincher when he was at Hull that we should sign him and that he could play for ‘any team in the league’. He laughed at me, and brought up Hull’s statistics as proof.

Na na, na, naa na :D
I had something similar with a Liverpool fan on here. This is what I said the summer Liverpool bought him.
I genuinely rate Milner as a LB, I was really surprised by how well he did in the position, but I think Robertson is absolutely class. He's going to really impress at Liverpool and could go on to be one of the best LB's in the Prem . I agree that he may start as a backup, but I reckon he'll cement his position as first choice in the first half of the season, with Milner filling in everywhere.
I got told to steady on.

Skills

Snitch
There's not a chance he'd ever be allowed to play like that over here. I remember a moment in the game where Clyne bust a gut to run all the way into the box from his own half to support Liverpool's break away. Our wingers aren't ever in position to do that in fear of a counter attack, let alone the FBs.

izec

There's not a chance he'd ever be allowed to play like that over here. I remember a moment in the game where Clyne bust a gut to run all the way into the box from his own half to support Liverpool's break away. Our wingers aren't ever in position to do that in fear of a counter attack, let alone the FBs.
Yeah, under Jose he wouldnt be half as good and energetic.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was really jealous of Irwin. Never gave less than an 8 out of 10 performance every game for nearly 10 years. There were other stars in the team but he was always fit and doing the job. It's a good comparison with Robbo.
I honestly don’t think I could remember one game where I could criticize the way Irwin played. If he had an off day it was still 6/10 or 7/10. Mister consistent. Better than Evra for me. If Robertson can become as consistent as that then he will become possibly Liverpool’s best LB

Deleted member 101472

Few years ago tierney was tipped as the better left back.

Robertson now making tierney look like Alberto Moreno

Canagel

Great player. No idea why Jose is bigging him up though. He gets forward too much

kidbob

I was wrong about him earlier in this thread. He has matured into a top class LB and he is more balanced than the likes of Marcelo. Very good going forward and very good defensively, the perfect modern full back.

Habs

Exactly the type of signing we would've made a decade ago. No idea what our scouts actually do, cant recognise a half decent player in our own league!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Very impressed. One of their best players probably.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Great player. Credit for Klopp for making him into a top fullback.

Ekeke

Exactly the type of signing we would've made a decade ago. No idea what our scouts actually do, cant recognise a half decent player in our own league!
6 of the 11 starters for Liverpool were domestic signings from other, lesser English teams. Plus Salah who played for a premier league club and then did well after he moved. Also the 2 subs that came on are 2 more.

Liverpool shows that we shouldnt turn our noses up at players doing well in the premier league for other teams. We seem to be linked with half the players in Serie A, the only player Liverpool signed from there was Salah who had already played in the premier league.

Deleted member 101472

Was released from Celtic for being too small. Always amazes me how wrong some coaches can be proved.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a brilliant player and i'm so jealous. Just hope we take a serious look at Kieran Tierney who is 3 years younger and will make a similar impact if brought to the prem imo.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
I just want to add this. There is no doubt that Robertson is a very good player.

But I want to make a point about what Poch said about Trippier I think earlier this year. He said that Trippier attacks a lot because of the system at Spurs giving Fullbacks lot of space and time.

I think same applies to Alonso for example. He has one of the highest goals and assists stat in EPL since joining Chelsea but loads of Chelsea fans (specially this season) have been critical of his performaces.

My point is Andy has been very good but it is Liverpool's system that would make most Fullbacks look good in attack.

What impresses me about Andy though is he has great defensive awareness and doesnt get caught out regularly. Great find for Liverpool.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
On current form the best left back in the world this season.

haram

Maicon at Inter?

ariveded

I just want to add this. There is no doubt that Robertson is a very good player.

But I want to make a point about what Poch said about Trippier I think earlier this year. He said that Trippier attacks a lot because of the system at Spurs giving Fullbacks lot of space and time.

I think same applies to Alonso for example. He has one of the highest goals and assists stat in EPL since joining Chelsea but loads of Chelsea fans (specially this season) have been critical of his performaces.

My point is Andy has been very good but it is Liverpool's system that would make most Fullbacks look good in attack.

What impresses me about Andy though is he has great defensive awareness and doesnt get caught out regularly. Great find for Liverpool.
So why not Moreno? The LFC system helps him, but credit to him individually. A great athlete and a good defender including 1v1 situation. The latter part deserves more credit as he is defensive sound unlike Moreno who struggled aerially and 1v1.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
You could see Robertson was going to be class when he 1st came through at Dundee United.
Tierney a similar type of player, well worth a punt.

meamth

He looks like a an athlete!
That's the thing, down the years our signing always have questionable physical abilities, Sanchez (detoriating), Mikhi, Darmian, Lindelof, Rojo, Blind etc.

All of those mentioned seems to have normal athleticism. We rarely sign a player with obvious pace and power.

Tierney is the real deal, always likened him to Robertson.

Kamprad

Great player. No idea why Jose is bigging him up though. He gets forward too much
He’s bigging him up to save Dalot. He’s telling Dalot, indirectly, that Robertson was incredible and made you look worse than you are.

simplyared

When first seeing him play for Liverpool I couldn't see any improvement on Moreno tbh. However since then I don't remember ever seeing such a player development. He's upp at word class level ffs! Maybe we could step in for Moreno now. A very good natural left-footed attacking full back who imo has been getting far too much stick from the Liverpool fans and better than anything we've got!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we missed on signing this guy, we might not want to miss out on this one:

Wr need to get this guy if it's possible and sort the fullback issue out once and for all.
I'll also leave this here..

Jose marked him as a player who has 'technical qualities in which we are lacking'.
Much like his Tottenham comment a few weeks back you're rightly going to ask :Well,why the heck didn't you move for him/them ?