golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
what do people think of this guy?

Looks a very promising player, only 23

Reminds me a bit of Denis Irwin in style

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I haven't watched him but would you say he is good enough for a side that wants to compete for the domestic title and the CL?

padr81

Supports
Man City
He looked better last season, City running by him easily so far this game. The fact he's getting no help doesn't well... help. Nice player going forward, don't think he's quite good enough for a top top team, better than what City and Liverpool currently have at LB.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Brilliant player, has been one of best best left backs in the PL this season imo even if he doesn't have a fancy name or big price tag. It's incredible to think he was working in a supermarket a few years ago and had to work his way up the leagues!
We sold Stewart to hull for £8M and bought Robertson for £10M! What a bargain!

(sorry if there is a more recent thread, couldn't find it)

haram

Good player, was always a stupid price put on him by Hull.

Sigma

Brilliant player, has been one of best best left backs in the PL this season imo even if he doesn't have a fancy name or big price tag. It's incredible to think he was working in a supermarket a few years ago and had to work his way up the leagues!

Called it :smirk:, (October 17th 2017):

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

One of the best left backs in the PL this season that couldn't get a game until Moreno got injured

I'm also interested to know when you say he's been one of the best left backs in the PL this season how many other left backs are you throwing in there as also one of the best? Because obviously if you're putting Robertson in a pot with 5 others than fair enough, if you're putting him in a pot with just 2 others then wow just wow

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
"Brilliant player", feck me standards are low for players these days.
Have you consistently watched him play? Or just see it's £10M Roberston and Liverpool so assume he hasn't been brilliant?

One of the best left backs in the PL this season that couldn't get a game until Moreno got injured

I'm also interested to know when you say he's been one of the best left backs in the PL this season how many other left backs are you throwing in there as also one of the best? Because obviously if you're putting Robertson in a pot with 5 others than fair enough, if you're putting him in a pot with just 2 others then wow just wow
Well yeah to your first point, he was an inexperienced 22 year old coming from Hull, ofcourse he would need a bit of time to adapt, but he has consistently been good now.

Also I obviously didn't mean top 2, but one of the best would imply that he's in the top 5 this season...

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Without getting into a discussion of whose dad would beat up whose, he's been excellent and as good as you could want from a fullback.

Robbie Boy

Have you consistently watched him play? Or just see it's £10M Roberston and Liverpool so assume he hasn't been brilliant?.
Having a brilliant run of form and being a brilliant player are massively different things, tbh. When I've seen him, no, I can't say I've been overly blown away. I haven't seen him in a while, mind. I didn't really rate him when he was at Hull either, so don't get all defensive because he's at Liverpool now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed. His pace and energy really bring something to Liverpool, he looked fantastic against West Ham.

Crosses were like a prime Baines!. Nice to see there's still some decent british talent out there if you give them a chance.

Blind

When Robertson and Alexander-Arnold start for Liverpool, I constantly see posts like 'full backs are fecking rubbish' or something similar and it just proves those people never watch them play. Robertson has an incredible engine, end product seems to be improving every game and he doesn't have a single digit defensive IQ like Moreno. Early days obviously but he looks a steal at 10 million.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's caught the eye nearly everytime I've watched liverpool.. great shout by Geebs. Very nimble on the ball, and sort of full back you don't mind to have the flank to himself as he's pretty creative and has good end product.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

He would have been around 20/21 so not that out of the ordinary :lol:, but I get your point. The competition for places in the full back positions is helping them all keep their level high.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
When Robertson and Alexander-Arnold start for Liverpool, I constantly see posts like 'full backs are fecking rubbish' or something similar and it just proves those people never watch them play. Robertson has an incredible engine, end product seems to be improving every game and he doesn't have a single digit defensive IQ like Moreno. Early days obviously but he looks a steal at 10 million.
Robertson's main issue is his delivery. But Alexander-Arnold probably makes him look bad on that count. Been a while since we've had a fullback who so consistently knew exactly where to put the ball in the box and has the ability to consistently put it there. Only 19 and he is acing it going forwards. Still has stuff to learn at the back, but he does well enough for most games.

Robertson has that quality that is getting rarer in football, that he takes his responsibilities seriously and plays his own game. A lot modern footballers are the coach's men and just try to follow instruction, without thinking further than that. Robertson is alert to the game happening in front of his eyes. Maybe it comes from playing in the lower leagues.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I was really wondering why Moreno was playing over him at the start of the season. Robertson has looked like a great signing for them so far.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Took him ages to get into the team, he wasn't even getting on the bench even until November.

Decent full back.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I was really wondering why Moreno was playing over him at the start of the season. Robertson has looked like a great signing for them so far.
Yeah, having seen him feature a fair few times for Scotland and look promising I was surprised they continued to prefer Moreno. I think he's one of the best prospects we've had up here alongside Tierney in a considerable while.

Robbie Boy

Yeah, having seen him feature a fair few times for Scotland and look promising I was surprised they continued to prefer Moreno. I think he's one of the best prospects we've had up here alongside Tierney in a considerable while.
You's probably have Scotty McT now :D

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He's fantastic. He and VVD have basically solved any issues we might have on the left side of defence.

Now we just need to convince the opposition to target our left.

Skills

Snitch
Apparently you don't need to spending 40m on each position to get good players. Who knew?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's got a lot of admirable qualities and one this season one of the better LB's in the league but prime Marcelo/Alaba/Alba he is not

cyberman

You'd be disappointed if you built a side to go toe to toe with City with Andy Robertson as your fullback.
I'm not saying he's a bad player but it would smack of He'll do rather than is he the best option for that position

Bwuk

You'd be disappointed if you built a side to go toe to toe with City with Andy Robertson as your fullback.
I'm not saying he's a bad player but it would smack of He'll do rather than is he the best option for that position
Who's better than Robertson in the league at left back? Genuine question.

I think Robertson is excellent. It's annoying as him and Maguire were both quality for Hull and we never even looked at either.

cyberman

Who's better than Robertson in the league at left back? Genuine question.

I think Robertson is excellent. It's annoying as him and Maguire were both quality for Hull and we never even looked at either.
We also had Wes Brown starting at RB and there were few better than our right hand side in 08 but we really did need an upgrade.
I think Young has been a standout LB for us and he's not quite good enough.
I view Liverpool's fullbacks as I do Madrid's. Their front three eases the burden of getting forward while the opposition are wary to get forward due to what Liverpool / Madrid have going the other way.
Its why City can dominate with Delph as their leftback.
As I said, he isn't a bad player and he would do if you're on a budget with other positions to fill, like a LB version of Herrera.

Pennywise

Easily the best left back in the league since he's came in. A snip at £8m

Skills

Snitch
If you play as a unit then history has shown you can win even with a team full of utility men
Agreed. Guardiola has had Delph playing as his LB all season after Mendy got injured. Robertson is a really good player though so utility man is harsh.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s got fantastic stamina, seems to keep on flying up and down all game. He runs with purpose too which is nice, doesn’t just jog along with the ball.

Loved when he dumped that little toerag Florenzi on his ass also, he was giving Mane kicks and pushes all game acting the big man. Proper made me laugh.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Agreed. Guardiola has had Delph playing as his LB all season after Mendy got injured. Robertson is a really good player though so utility man is harsh.
Oh I’m not saying utility man for him, that was a different point I was making that you can win without having the best of the best in every spot