Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
How long before EPL teams start looking at this guy?

Celtic fans won’t like the idea of him being tempted away but the idea of a manager having an incredible style of football, high pressing and an insane ability to spot players on a budget will appeal to many boards.

A manager with a positive approach to the game and a great style of football. Going away to Betis and really taking the game to them was my first time really seeing his style in action and it’s very entertaining.

I believe he’s out of contract in the summer too.

Zevvythered

How long before EPL teams start looking at this guy?

Celtic fans won’t like the idea of him being tempted away but the idea of a manager having an incredible style of football, high pressing and an insane ability to spot players on a budget will appeal to many boards.

A manager with a positive approach to the game and a great style of football. Going away to Betis and really taking the game to them was my first time really seeing his style in action and it’s very entertaining.

I believe he’s out of contract in the summer too.
Certainly wouldn’t work at United, his training regime and the way he plays the game would upset our over paid underachiever’s. He has totally transformed Celtic and his knowledge of the J league is superb. The 3 players he has signed for the J league will certainly move on and make Celtic a small fortune

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm delighted for him and how things have gone so far but he would tell you that there's still a long way to go this season - Celtic could end the season with just a Scottish League Cup trophy to their name and that's it.

Celtic's first half against Rangers was sublime on Wednesday evening even if you allow for the fact that no away supporters were permitted to attend. Having watched one of his previous clubs very closely both at home and at the ground, the football his teams produce is brilliant when it all clicks.

The Aussie media are understandably desperate for Postecoglou to do well. If Celtic win the SPL, there'll be people here who will not miss a chance to stick two fingers up at those who wrote him off before he started.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A lot of posters dismissed his credentials but he’s doing a good job. He also comes across well too, a proper manager feel with him.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Has an eye for talent in Asia. Could be a useful tool for bargains.

mu4c_20le

Can't complain with the work he's done so far, but it's Celtic. Even Lennon can do a job there.

marktan

He worked in Japan for a bit which basically means he did most of the recruiting work for those signings they made.

Some of them look really good, it's a bit crazy to me that with hundreds of scouting teams in the top European leagues it took just one guy who managed in the league to be able to identify great value buys. It's not that hard to have one scout covering Asia is it?

Varun1

He worked in Japan for a bit which basically means he did most of the recruiting work for those signings they made.

Some of them look really good, it's a bit crazy to me that with hundreds of scouting teams in the top European leagues it took just one guy who managed in the league to be able to identify great value buys. It's not that hard to have one scout covering Asia is it?
I think I read on Reddit that Celtic used City Football Group's scouting knowledge of the Asian market to get some players.

marktan

I think I read on Reddit that Celtic used City Football Group's scouting knowledge of the Asian market to get some players.
Got a link by any chance? Be interested to read that. I read an interview by Ange where he spoke of noticing a lot of those players when he was managing in Japan so that's where I thought they stemmed from.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I remember being curious about the appointment, because I knew Postecoglu was an attacking manager, and things could had gone either way. Even if they don't win the title, their football is quite entretaining to watch.

Varun1

Got a link by any chance? Be interested to read that. I read an interview by Ange where he spoke of noticing a lot of those players when he was managing in Japan so that's where I thought they stemmed from.
Sorry mate, I tried to find it just now but didn't have much luck, unless it was a comment on here. Somebody even mentioned that the son of a CFG executive is on the Celtic board or something along those lines.
Am not saying that Postecoglu doesn't have an eye for talent though, just that CFG may have helped.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Can't see how any PL team would go for him, the way he plays would be fecking suicide in the Prem.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A celtic manager has to get to the group stages in the Champions League.

Nice football in Scotland is cool and all but if you can't beat teams from Cyprus, Slovenia, and Greece, you ain't great.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
There's no doubt he's done well at Celtic, but I think many watched Celtic trouncing the worst performance I've seen from a Rangers team in years, and have jumped the bandwagon a wee bit.

The previous game they needed a 91st minute goal to beat Dundee Utd at home, the game previous to that they needed a late penalty miss by Hearts that hit the inside of the post and rolled along the line away from dropping points there. In fact most of their victories have been by a slim margin. Bar last season Celtic were regularly beating teams by 3 and 4 goals.

That might still come, but I'd be wary of basing any opinion off that shocking Rangers performance.

A9X SJ

He’s done well have to say Kyogo & Hatate will play at higher level no probs verdict still out on the others. O’Riley looks a player also left Fulham drop in wages to play at MK dons year later signs for Celtic.

Still about 14 games left so the SPL can go anywhere the other teams below are all giving the old firm a game also which is always good.

AussieDevil

He is an incredibly smart guy, he can come across as a bit crazy at times but he knows what he is doing. He has definitely come a long way.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Never watched her teams play. What's she like?
He wants his teams to play attacking football based on dominating possession, quick ball movement, applying pressure to win the ball back with a high defensive line.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
I thought he was completely out of his league and Celtic were being horribly cheap in hiring him. A joke appointment I believed.

Might have been completely and utterly wrong there :lol:

Yes I haven't seen them a lot before they played Rangers last week but what I have seen is he has overhauled their style of play and built the side he wants playing the way he wants and it certainly seems to be working.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Celtic look miles ahead of anything else in that league. If he stays at Celtic they will dominate for years.

MacGlock88

His appointment did provide cause for concern.
A dominant Rodgers/Celtic (in a top flight without Rangers) BR then bailed off to the PL when the opportunity arose. Replaced by a Celtic club man on an interim basis, Lennon then for the role permanently

NL stayed too long when things were not going right. And it left a sour taste in the mouths of many fans. (At this time, Rangers and Gerrard won the league).

Then, when NL left, Ange very much looked like a Cheap option (Again). It didn’t go down too well with many supporters of the Club. With the aim to get the title back (and particularly this season, as it’s straight into the Champions League for the winners)

Although not bullet proof, a few poor performances and some luck, his attitude and presence has been a joy for the club.

It’s starting to look like things are clicking. It all takes time, but if the last 4 days are anything to go by, the rejuvenation of the Club is well underway. Some fantastic low cost recruitment. The Japanese lads look hungry to win, and are committed (they look the opposite of overpaid players, just going through the motions each week).

I think we will see Ange manage in the EPL. It has to be one of his aims. But from listening to him and his principled views, if he left at the end of this season (if he has taken the league title or not), it would be hypocritical (appreciating he needs a contract).

MacGlock88

His team performance on Thursday night wasn’t a reflection of how he has had them playing recently.
Completely outclassed, at home, by a team that are just part way through their mid season.

Looking forward to seeing the reaction tomorrow.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
He wasn't a happy chap during Celtic's Scottish Cup tie.

EdinburghDevil

He could be a good option for Leeds, who I think will part ways with Beilsa at the end of the season. His style of play would likely suit the players at Leeds and be a progression on where Beilsa has taken them.

I'd be surprised if anyone from the PL comes in for him after 1 year in Scotland.

lsd

The Oracle
We don’t pass back enough. So many fecking through balls from all angles fecks us

We pass the ball back to De Gea from the halfway line at least four or five times every match. Then at some point we will have two players usually Fred and Maguire who will repeatedly pass the ball three yards to each other for about ten times going absolutely nowhere

macheda14

We don’t pass back enough. So many fecking through balls from all angles fecks us
We pass the ball back to De Gea from the halfway line at least four or five times every match. Then at some point we will have two players usually Fred and Maguire who will repeatedly pass the ball three yards to each other for about ten times going absolutely nowhere
You’re both right. We pass it back to often, but when we should we don’t.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What was the story when he was Aussie boss....didn't he quit just before a world cup IIRC.

Yeah can see him following the path and ending up at bottom half prem club at some stage.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
What was the story when he was Aussie boss....didn't he quit just before a world cup IIRC.

Yeah can see him following the path and ending up at bottom half prem club at some stage.
He just reached the end of his time as Aussie coach, He was really burnt out by the long qualification we had to do.

He was the best Socceroo's coach in my lifetime though, We fought hard against Chile and the Dutch, Won an Asian cup, and qualified for 2018 wc.