Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

mav_9me

What happened in the home game on the euro conference league last week? Something random?

Abraxas

I like this chap. A straight shooter.

Thought it was logical for Celtic. Is the Scottish League really better than Japan? I don't even think he was taking a massive step up in quality, only in profile and style of play.

To me it's weird that some clubs are so conservative with their choices. Chances are if somebody has a track record it's for a reason. A global club like Celtic very much should be scouring the planet for a manager. They can attract them, they can exploit certain markets that are suited to their transfer budget, it just makes a ton of sense instead of a boring, safe choice. Even if it goes tits up there's only so far it can go tits up for Celtic.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What happened in the home game on the euro conference league last week? Something random?
Bodø/Glimt beat Mourinho’s Roma 6-1 at home a few months ago. Then drew 2-2 away. Nothing random about this result.

Celtic got schooled by a team that hasn’t played competitively in 10 weeks, barely started pre season and who had their best 3-4 players sold in January. What they’re doing on what relatively speaking is a non-existent budget is quite sensational.

lysglimt

Scout
Bodø/Glimt beat Mourinho’s Roma 6-1 at home a few months ago. Then drew 2-2 away. Nothing random about this result.

Celtic got schooled by a team that hasn’t played competitively in 10 weeks, barely started pre season and who had their best 3-4 players sold in January. What they’re doing on what relatively speaking is a non-existent budget is quite sensational.
When you consider that Glimt have lost: Fredrik Bjørkan, Marius Lode, Jens Petter Hauge, Patrick Berg, Phillip Zinckernagel and Kasper Junker - their results are insane.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Their manager is fantastic and has them playing great football on a budget. That alone will appeal to a lot of EPL teams.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair he has done well at Celtic. But being brutally honest, and with utmost respect, its relatively easy to do well domestically with Celtic and/or Rangers. It's in Europe they usually falter.

Credit where its due though

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I like this chap. A straight shooter.

Thought it was logical for Celtic. Is the Scottish League really better than Japan? I don't even think he was taking a massive step up in quality, only in profile and style of play.

To me it's weird that some clubs are so conservative with their choices. Chances are if somebody has a track record it's for a reason. A global club like Celtic very much should be scouring the planet for a manager. They can attract them, they can exploit certain markets that are suited to their transfer budget, it just makes a ton of sense instead of a boring, safe choice. Even if it goes tits up there's only so far it can go tits up for Celtic.
Yeah that's fair. The appointment attracted the usual cynicism in the Scottish game, but I think if anyone looked into his record it was pretty clear he was very capable of building teams that over-achieve. There's an opportunity there for an English Premier League club to come in during the summer to get ahead of the curve before his reputation grows further. His chaotic attacking style of play will probably suit the Premier League.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He could be a good option for Leeds, who I think will part ways with Beilsa at the end of the season. His style of play would likely suit the players at Leeds and be a progression on where Beilsa has taken them.

I'd be surprised if anyone from the PL comes in for him after 1 year in Scotland.
That's a very good shout as a comparison currently. They are very much like Bielsa's Leeds, high intensity, high pressing, high risk football, that looks great when it comes off, but when it doesn't they seem very open and can lose silly goals.

They won't concede much in Scotland anyway because its Scotland, but against better more organised teams like in Europe, that's where they will get caught out.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I can see Leeds going for Ernesto Valverde if (when) Bielsa leaves at the end of the season.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is this guy supposed to be highly rated? Two games I’ve seen they’ve been outclassed by a team who have just started their pre season, who lost the entire core of their team in the January window and who operate on a fraction of Celtic’s budget.

Hard to take anything Celtic do domestically seriously all the while they haven’t won a knockout tie for 18 years or something.

LJP

Is this guy supposed to be highly rated? Two games I’ve seen they’ve been outclassed by a team who have just started their pre season, who lost the entire core of their team in the January window and who operate on a fraction of Celtic’s budget.

Hard to take anything Celtic do domestically seriously all the while they haven’t won a knockout tie for 18 years or something.
You rating him on two games?

What you should be rating him on is the changes in performance levels with the Celtic team compared to last season. Delivering performance and spending well in the market.

The first leg against Bodo was a really poor show. Which in turn lead to a weaker team being played yesterday. On the proviso that Celtics league run in is the priority and it was unlikely that Celtic would overcome the deficit away from home, in the cold and on that pitch.

Credit to Rangers, fantastic result. They are a good team in Europe. Have been for a while.
At the same time, Celtic have been the opposite.

So that tradition continues.

With his limited time in the SPL, I like to look to fans and commentators who have seen him in previous roles to get a better understanding.
It seems overwhelmingly he is admired in countries Australia and Japan where he has been active.

lsd

The Oracle
Disappointing to go out of Europe no doubt but I'm sure Celtic fans will care more about winning the league title this year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I think he’s still a good manager despite this failure. Celtic have been terrible in Europe for quite some time now.

poleglass red

I shudder to think what your opinion of Marco Rose is then.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Disappointing to go out of Europe no doubt but I'm sure Celtic fans will care more about winning the league title this year.
I swear I hear Celtic fans say this every year. I have never seen a fan base be so happy they're knocked out of Europe so they can concentrate on the league. There is always a good excuse as well, if it isn't going for 10iar it is getting an automatic CL place and the money that comes with it. Come next year and you feel like you have to prioritise the league again, continously in a loop.

I could never understand this. For goodness sake you won 9 league titles in a row not long ago. Winning another one won't do much for your progress whereas getting far in Europe will probably raise your club's profile, making you more attractive to more players and improve standards much more.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I swear I hear Celtic fans say this every year. I have never seen a fan base be so happy they're knocked out of Europe so they can concentrate on the league. There is always a good excuse as well, if it isn't going for 10iar it is getting an automatic CL place and the money that comes with it. Come next year and you feel like you have to prioritise the league again, continously in a loop.

I could never understand this. For goodness sake you won 9 league titles in a row not long ago. Winning another one won't do much for your progress whereas getting far in Europe will probably raise your club's profile, making you more attractive to more players and improve standards much more.
The typical mind of a Celtic fan.

lsd

The Oracle

I'm pretty sure if you asked any Celtic fan at the start of the season would they rather win the league or either of the Europa leagues cups they would all say the league.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I'm pretty sure if you asked any Celtic fan at the start of the season would they rather win the league or either of the Europa leagues cups they would all say the league.
Im not sure. Im a Rangers fan, who's won 1 top league in 10 years, but give me the choice of winning the Europa League or winning the league I'll take the Europa League. Both gain entry to Champions League this season, and considering we are 50 years on from Rangers winning the Cup Winners Cup in Barca '72 and many still regard that as our finest hour, I'll have the European title over the domestic 1.

LJP

The typical mind of a Celtic fan.
To put the above into context, Celtic were knocked out of the Europa League last year.

It was the Europa Conference League that they were in.

With that, it wasn’t the opportunity to go and win the Europa League Vs concentrating on the SPL.

I would agree that winning a Europa League would be favoured by Celtic and Rangers over a domestic league title.

However, it’s unlikely Rangers will win it this year.

So, what Celtic fans are saying is that, the bright side of getting knocked out of the ECL is that they can concentrate on the league. The downside of Rangers staying in Europe is that they have the travel and Thursday/Sunday fixtures, and ultimately won’t win it. While there is the potential for their league form to suffer as a result of participation.

On a positive note for Rangers, it will be a welcomed cash injection with regards to bonuses and ticket sales.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I can see this guy coming to the EPL very shortly.

Absolutely fearless in Europe and very dominating domestically. He has significantly improved players like Greg Taylor at Celtic. Callum McGregor has went up a few notches too.

However where I think he will appeal to a lot of owners, he has been ridiculously successful in the transfer market on a budget. He has a good scope of knowledge in Japan and wider Europe.

West Ham, Leicester and Everton could be three clubs looking for new manager very soon.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Saw his thread at the top and immediately thought 'is he going to Everton?'
For it to have been bumped by an Everton fan...match made in heaven that.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Call me delusional but I can see this bloke managing Tottenham or Liverpool next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I can see this guy coming to the EPL very shortly.

Absolutely fearless in Europe and very dominating domestically. He has significantly improved players like Greg Taylor at Celtic. Callum McGregor has went up a few notches too.

However where I think he will appeal to a lot of owners, he has been ridiculously successful in the transfer market on a budget. He has a good scope of knowledge in Japan and wider Europe.

West Ham, Leicester and Everton could be three clubs looking for new manager very soon.
Thought Southampton would've tried to tempt him. With their current signing model I think him going there would've made plenty of sense. Could still happen in the summer.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Thought Southampton would've tried to tempt him. With their current signing model I think him going there would've made plenty of sense. Could still happen in the summer.
They’re a good shout with their history in raiding Celtic.

Joel Miller

The guy operates in a league where his club relentlessly pressure the FA and officials into gaining an advantage. They’re even at it with VAR now, you only have to look at their last game to see how it works well for them. But aside from the fact his team get away with murder on a regular basis, he’s done a good job.

Sweet Square

Apart from a increased wage, what are the benefits of leaving Celtic for a mid level PL job ?

With Celtic he is almost guaranteed league titles and CL football. Rodgers left and now his stock has hit rock bottom.

Postecoglou could try to build something at Celtic and if he manages to get something good going and a deep run in the CL, then one of the big clubs will come knocking.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Apart from a increased wage, what are the benefits of leaving Celtic for a mid level PL job ?

With Celtic he is almost guaranteed league titles and CL football. Rodgers left and now his stock has hit rock bottom.

Postecoglou could try to build something at Celtic and if he manages to get something good going and a deep run in the CL, then one of the big clubs will come knocking.
Same with Gerrard at rangers. Was doing well there but then jumped to the prem and failed. A lot different managing a team that’s only ever in a 2 horse race for the title and coming to a prem team and trying to get mid table.

mancsarered

Celtic play beautiful football domestically, but they are absolutely lost defensively in Europe. Think his system would get shredded in England with mid-table level talent.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Celtic play beautiful football domestically, but they are absolutely lost defensively in Europe. Think his system would get shredded in England with mid-table level talent.
This is my view as well. I think he'd get absolutely battered in the Prem trying to play the way he plays.

Maybe he will become more pragmatic, but doesn't seem like his style.

Sweet Square

Same with Gerrard at rangers. Was doing well there but then jumped to the prem and failed. A lot different managing a team that’s only ever in a 2 horse race for the title and coming to a prem team and trying to get mid table.
Good point. Also the different between the top 2 in Scotland compared to the rest of league is so vastly big that it’s almost impossible to fail(Makes Fergie achievements with Aberdeen all the more impressive).

Even if Gerrard had got Europa league football with Villa(A more difficult task than winning the SPL), I’m not sure it would had added that much to his CV. You really have to perform miracles with mid level premier league teams and also get extremely lucky timing wise to progress your career. Doesn’t seem to be worth the risk, especially if you got a nice job at Rangers or Celtic.

A impressive CL campaign for Postecoglou next season and he could end with the Spurs job or even the Chelsea one of Potter continues the poor form.

Last edited: