Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
His appointment, or potential appointment has gone down like a lead balloon among their fanbase. Fume is the word.
Yeah it's not gone down great - not many of us know much about him and although he has been successful in Scotland so was Stevie G.

Charles Ufarley

Overrated. A couple of seasons shooting fish in a barrel north of the boarder proves nothing.

Gerrard was the same and soon came unstuck.

Good luck, Spurs :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
His appointment, or potential appointment has gone down like a lead balloon among their fanbase. Fume is the word.
To be honest, it was the same when he was appointed Celtic manager, and he quickly turned that viewpoint around.

poleglass red

Overrated. A couple of seasons shooting fish in a barrel north of the boarder proves nothing.

Not sure that's the same. It's well known that Beale was the man who was running that show in the background with Gerrard the public face. That can't be said about Postecoglu. You can see why Levy wants him, he has raided the far east market and other markets for relatively little money. My only concern with him, is, he showed no tactical changes in europe, his football is all out try and attack, whether he's playing Partick or Real, great to watch mind. His appointment at Celtic was met with disapproval initially as well. I think it would a good appointment for him and Spurs, at the very least he'd install a style of play Spurs fans will enjoy watching.

Licha M

Would be a brilliant appointment for Spurs.

Will join a long and distinguished list of managers in the last 20 years who took plucky underdogs Celtic and Rangers to unprecedented success against all odds. Ross County, Livingston, Kilmarnock and Hamilton Academical never stood a chance.

McCleish, Strachan, Lennon, Deila, Brendan, Gerrard et al.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The Gerrard comparisons are pretty irrelevant. Gerrard came in as the figurehead of a new management team for a club in crisis, took some time to develop a winning team, and did most of his best work in Europe. Postecoglou had his team operating at full throttle after 3-4 months, has done all of his best work domestically, and struggled mainly in Europe.

Rodgers would be a better barometer in terms of style of play and patterns of success.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Big Ange will be a revelation for Spurs.

Controversial statement but he will get Spurs finishing above Pochs Chelsea for sure.

Absolutely blinding manager.

Shinjch

Think he is a very good manager to be fair. If he is given the scope at Spurs to transition properly then I think he is a good appointment. Whether he gets that or not is the bigger question mark than his own capabilities.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Obviously none of it's at a high level, but he's succeeded pretty much everywhere he's been. Won four titles in Australia (with two different teams), one in Japan and now two in Scotland, and also did about as well as possible with the Australian national team.

As others have said Rodgers seems to be the more obvious comparison. May or may not end up being good enough but he has a hell of a lot better chance than Gerrard.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I fear Ange is going to make Spurs good. He absolutely obliterated that Celtic squad that finished over 20 points behind Rangers. Brought in a lot of players and they have all been successful. Spurs need an overhaul. The likes of Dier etc are a shambles.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It's a huge jump from Scottish football to the Premier League, there are no easy games and mistakes get punished. I really don't know if Ange can make the transition.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he will do mint if he goes there. Can also see him taking CCV and maybe even Hatate with him if he goes, as others have said Spurs need an overhaul and a clear out and there are some excellent players at Celtic who I think could step up too.

And no I'm not just saying that as a Rangers fan because it gives Rangers a far better chance if all three of those leave, I swear :angel: :lol:

SambaBoy

He's very well thought of in Australia even prior to the Celtic appointment. His Brisbane Roar team is known as the best team to have played in the A-League. It's different to Gerrard who had no prior record before joining Rangers apart from a stint coaching the Liverpool youth teams. Postecoglou did well in Japan and with the national team in Australia - he's carried that on at Celtic.

I understand some reservations about a move to Spurs but I honestly think it would a great appointment. He'd get the best out of their attack and I'm sure he'll identify some defenders to improve their squad.

romufc

Spurs fans have this expectation of a manager that they are not going to get. I dont understand the backlash over appointing a manager who can work with players and implement a system.

He has a proven record of playing good football, be it in Australia and Scotland but that does not diminish the fact that his teams played the best football. He has also shown he has a good eye for talent, look at the signings Celtic have made, its something he can do at Spurs and build a good competitive team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Needs to drop down to the Championship to hone his craft.

Or something similarly stupid.
Palace, West Ham or Leicester if they'd stayed up would've been good clubs for him in premier league.

Joining Spurs now is just a hiding to nothing I think with Kane at most 12 months away from leaving, Son getting old and the rest of the side not that great at all.

I guess Levy is thinking because he's used his contacts to get some decent J league players for Celtic he'll be able to refresh their team on a budget and also improve likes of Porro.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Palace, West Ham or Leicester if they'd stayed up would've been good clubs for him in premier league.

Joining Spurs now is just a hiding to nothing I think with Kane at most 12 months away from leaving, Son getting old and the rest of the side not that great at all.

I guess Levy is thinking because he's used his contacts to get some decent J league players for Celtic he'll be able to refresh their team on a budget and also improve likes of Porro.
Expectations drop with Kane leaving and Son getting old. They have no right to harbor top 4 or even top 6 ambitions with the quality present in the league right now. In that framework, it's a good move. Even without that framework, it's a good move. If he goes there and succeeds against the odds, it boosts his profile in a way a move to West Ham or Leicester wouldn't. And if he fails, well he's richer, and can point to Levy and chaos at Spurs and get a PL chairman to take a second chance. Or go back to Celtic. A richer man.

izec

He might be a success or complete failure, who knows, just complete guesswork at this point. Much better managers Cv wise failed in this league, but we dont know his potential. Winning titles in Australia, Japan or Scotland is no indication of how he might do at Spurs in the PL.

poleglass red

He might be a success or complete failure, who knows, just complete guesswork at this point. Much better managers Cv wise failed in this league, but we dont know his potential. Winning titles in Australia, Japan or Scotland is no indication of how he might do at Spurs in the PL.
Not really an expectation at Spurs though is it, his ultimate remit is top 4 and maybe a cup. If he got them knocking the ball around like Brighton during his rebuild, Spurs fans would give him leeway. For all the plaudits Brighton got this season, they only came 6th. Brighton took a chance on their manager and it so far has paid off He'd have them playing good football at the very least. They need to get rid of players and rebuild, Ange would be good at that, he's also thrifty in the transfer market and he will be out of contract, Levy will be licking his lips. 2 concerns I'd have, the way Ange sets his teams up, he might take a few hammerings along the way. He'll go toe to toe with the likes of City even in his 1st season. The 2nd concern is Ange likes to have control, I could see friction between him and Levy at somepoint.

OleGunnar20

Fantastic coach but Spurs are a shit show - could prove a bad move for him.
Sums it up I think. I'd be delighted if I were a spurs fan, but whether Levy will give him the freedom and the fanbase the time needed, is another question.

mancsarered

He's been fantastic for Celtic, but any time they've come up against superior opposition they've been throttled. His football is very exciting, but defensively suspect to put it kindly.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

nonsense. just look at what the exact same set of players have achieved at villa. it’s not gerrard’s fault that he couldn’t get a tune out of them. they’d clearly downed tools due to his poor man management, limited tactical nous, his inadequate training sessions and his subsequent loss of the dressing room.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I wonder what the target is at Spurs ahead of a new season and new manager.

He will have to rely on signings that aren’t top tier to fill holes in the squad.

I do think that there are players there that have been written off, that he will find a use for (Spence, Bissouma) and there may not be the same holes that people are imagining in their squad. The front 3, for example, could be a real force.

It’s a terrible time to come in though. City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Chelsea will all spend more on better players, and all have quality coaches in place. I think top 4 is off the table.

Then you are competing with one of those teams, along with Emery’s Villa and de Zerbi’s Brighton for the Europa.

It’s a tough, tough time to be coming in at Spurs, but at the very least, this is someone who will produce the football the fans want to see.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I wonder what the target is at Spurs ahead of a new season and new manager.

He will have to rely on signings that aren’t top tier to fill holes in the squad.

I do think that there are players there that have been written off, that he will find a use for (Spence, Bissouma) and there may not be the same holes that people are imagining in their squad. The front 3, for example, could be a real force.

It’s a terrible time to come in though. City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Chelsea will all spend more on better players, and all have quality coaches in place. I think top 4 is off the table.

Then you are competing with one of those teams, along with Emery’s Villa and de Zerbi’s Brighton for the Europa.

It’s a tough, tough time to be coming in at Spurs, but at the very least, this is someone who will produce the football the fans want to see.
You're forgetting Newcastle as well.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Reading the earlier pages of this thread (I've seen nothing of his teams), it sounds like he could be a good appointment on the down low. Obviously doesn't have the name or pedigree right now, but the things people were praising him for on page 1 are all things Spurs need. Shrewd, cheap signings. A more aggressive style of attacking football. And most importantly, a well organised and implemented game plan. Spurs, like us, are a little bit behind the times with our passive style of play, so he could potentially make a name for himself at Spurs.

Abraxas

Great move for Spurs. And for him of course, it's a huge step.

I really like the way his team plays, I like his no nonsense, common sense talk, he signs really good players. Obviously at Spurs you probably need a bit more than exploiting the Japanese market because it's a different level but you can't really argue with the results he's got, the style and the man management.

Baxquux

Don't think it's the kind of seismic managerial signing to make Kane reconsider his long-term plans, but I think he'll do OK: challenging for final (expanded) CL-place-level OK and more consistently entertaining, as opposed to just entertainingly Spursy (excepting flurries like their annoyingly competent 2nd half display against us)

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
This is a very good appointment for Spurs.

Yes, Celtic's European form hasn't been great but given the resources, that's not a huge shock.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Hm, this guy looks interesting but honestly also looks like someone who won't suffer Levy's bullshit.