Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I am so fecking excited.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
Starting in a midfield 2 alongside Fletcher, Mata further up.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lets not expect magic from the get go. Hope he has a great game though, we need to start picking up points.

Trizy

Whats the XI? Hoping he hits the ground running!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I hoped I will never see him in midfield two for us(especially not alongside Fletcher) and it will happen in the first game. :lol:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He's better in midfield than on the wings, seeing as we broke the British transfer record to get him it makes sense to play him in his best position and not on the wing.

The biggest question was whether he could play that central role in a 3-5-2 which we will get an indication of today.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He's better in midfield than on the wings, seeing as we broke the British transfer record to get him it makes sense to play him in his best position and not on the wing.

The biggest question was whether he could play that central role in a 3-5-2 which we will get an indication of today.
Midfield two alongside Fletcher is obviously far from position he played for Madrid in midfield. I actually think that he would be more comfortable as a wingback than in this position. Let's wait and see but I think he won't be playing this position anymore apart from today(or if he does it will be very rarely) considering we are thin in the midfield at the moment.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Well, midfield two alongside Fletcher is obviously far from position he played for Madrid in midfield. I actually think that he would be more comfortable as a wingback than in this position. Let's wait and see but I think he won't be playing this position anymore apart from today(or rarely) considering we are thin in the midfield at the moment.
He's playing in central midfield which is his best position. The question is how that position suits a 3-5-2 which is what we'll see now. It's also not something we have seen before, so I wouldn't be too hasty making predictions.

There's certainly nothing indicating that he'll play some sort of double pivot holding role with Fletcher and he could well play with the same freedom he had centrally for Madrid.

With three centre backs in a 3-5-2 the two midfielders can play the position differently. He won't be as restricted as you think.

RuudTom83

Playing him in the middle is going to expose him to a lot of tackles today, it is not the best match to have your debut in but bloody hell it is exciting to see him play.

IhabX7

This isn't the type of midfield job he had in Madrid. I can see him struggling today, but I'm hopeful he'll have a great start to his career here, always important.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So exciting to see him play. He's not a midfielder who can be part of a midfield 2 I think but he'll be a huge improvement on cleverley or whoever else we planned on putting there so it's not a big deal. The game against qpr will look completely different with everyone back and the signings in the team.

Santos J

Is there a chance it's Rooney in midfield and Di Maria up top? Would make more sense IMO.
How would it make more sense when Rooney's best position is up top and Di Maria's is in midfield?

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Is there a chance it's Rooney in midfield and Di Maria up top? Would make more sense IMO.
I never thought of that. That's actually quite a good idea. Worth a try.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How would it make more sense when Rooney's best position is up top and Di Maria's is in midfield?
Because he trained for 2 days with the team, so IMO shouldn't be given so important role in midfield (with Fletcher, remember), and RVP-Di Maria makes more sense than Rooney-RVP.
This is NOT his natural position, trust me, I have seen a lot of him last season.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
This isn't the type of midfield job he had in Madrid. I can see him struggling today, but I'm hopeful he'll have a great start to his career here, always important.
It's hard to say because we haven't seen it yet. How the 3-5-2 works with him is new territory.

For example if we pushed Jones up into midfield to make a trio of Jones/Fletcher/Di Maria then I'm sure you would say that gives him a similarly attacking role he had at Madrid and that he could play freely in that line up.

In the 3-5-2 Jones is just playing 10 yards further back as a CB as opposed to a DM. There's still three defensive players there. It's a minor difference. If we can get to grips with it and the defenders can play the roles properly - big question right now - then it could work fine for him IMO.

Its certainly not a sure thing but I'm not surprised it's being tried. If it doesn't work then I think Van Gaal will buy another midfielder and move to a diamond, as in the example above where Jones is moved to midfield except with a bigger name. Either way I think the intention will be to play him centrally.

El Zoido

What odds can I get that he'll limp off injured after half an hour?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
People expecting to see him with his magic feet and flying pace, I think the general consensus after the game will be surprise at the fact he can play such a hard working central midfield role.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He's playing in central midfield which is his best position. The question is how that position suits a 3-5-2 which is what we'll see now. It's also not something we have seen before, so I wouldn't be too hasty making predictions.
But that's not his best position in midfield. I agree that his best position is in midfield but with two more defensive player than him alongside him, and I am quite sure we won't see that with Mata there.
If it's 352 he'll be playing double pivot pairing Fletcher IMO, or you are expecting Fletcher to play that holding role with pair of Mata and di Maria ahead of him?

Ekeke

I was rewatching the champions league final earlier, this time specifically watching Di Maria. When Madrid didnt have the ball he looked like any other winger playing in a midfield 3, he switched off with his marking of opponents and walked back into position when moves broke down. We could be in big trouble today if he does the same

On the other side of the coin, he looked to get the ball into the box every second touch he took, with the occasional dribble past 2 players from deep

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
But that's not his best position in midfield. I agree that his best position is in midfield but with two more defensive player than him alongside him, and I am quite sure we won't see that with Mata there.
If it's 352 he'll be playing double pivot pairing Fletcher IMO, or you are expecting Fletcher to play that holding role with pair of Mata and di Maria ahead of him?
Well I partially address that here in the post below.

The point is that we don't know how it will work in a 3-5-2. I agree that he plays better with two behind him, which is effectively four as it consists of two midfielders and two centre backs. Here he has three centre backs and one midfielder behind him which is still four players. If the system is played properly then it won't be a huge difference.

The biggest danger is that we start to see huge holes in front of the defence behind Di Maria - but you can get around that by 1. Pushing up and squeezing the space, 2. Having defenders who step out of the back line and make a challenge.

It won't definitely work and no body knows because it's not been tried before. It has a chance of working though so I'm not surprised it's being tried.

It's hard to say because we haven't seen it yet. How the 3-5-2 works with him is new territory.

For example if we pushed Jones up into midfield to make a trio of Jones/Fletcher/Di Maria then I'm sure you would say that gives him a similarly attacking role he had at Madrid and that he could play freely in that line up.

In the 3-5-2 Jones is just playing 10 yards further back as a CB as opposed to a DM. There's still three defensive players there. It's a minor difference. If we can get to grips with it and the defenders can play the roles properly - big question right now - then it could work fine for him IMO.

Its certainly not a sure thing but I'm not surprised it's being tried. If it doesn't work then I think Van Gaal will buy another midfielder and move to a diamond, as in the example above where Jones is moved to midfield except with a bigger name. Either way I think the intention will be to play him centrally.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I was rewatching the champions league final earlier, this time specifically watching Di Maria. When Madrid didnt have the ball he looked like any other winger playing in a midfield 3, he switched off with his marking of opponents and walked back into position when moves broke down. We could be in big trouble today if he does the same

On the other side of the coin, he looked to get the ball into the box every second touch he took, with the occasional dribble past 2 players from deep
I didn't expect him to be great defensively. But I expect him to chase and harry fantastically. Hopefully we get away with playing him in a two today, I doubt it will happen again.

Annahnomoss

Doesn't seem like a position well suited for ADM in a midfield two, but if it works it will be absolutely genius. I think most great sides are created thanks to some original ideas which went the right way. ADM in the central midfield last season for Real for example which I think was a big reason to their CL success.

Will have to wait and see, it will either be a stupid or brilliant move from LVG.

Oneunited26

Doesn't seem like a position well suited for ADM in a midfield two, but if it works it will be absolutely genius. I think most great sides are created thanks to some original ideas which went the right way. ADM in the central midfield last season for Real for example which I think was a big reason to their CL success.

Will have to wait and see, it will either be a stupid or brilliant move from LVG.
Yea but he was part of a midfield 3 sometimes, and he did have the likes of alonzo khedira ronaldo bale and benzema to play with, which fletcher mata rooney and RVP are not exactly flexible in their mobility, so di maria was still only has good as the players around him

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pace and quality :drool:

Has started well.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Having a player stretch his legs and go through the gears :drool:

Melvyn

prostate examiner
On a different level from the other 21 players on the pitch and it shows.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
I mean, that move that Mata just cocked up… He nods it behind him to Young, then takes Young's return pass and flicks it behind him. Then takes the other return pass, accelerates then puts it on a plate for Mata. So smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.