Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

You have to say, all this comments in the press have been great. No moaning, or feeling sorry for himself, just positive that he'll get it right this season.

If we can get him playing like this again...:drool:

markhrad

RVP comes to UTD as a WC striker, has one good year then becomes crap. Falcao, WC striker, albeit recovering from a serious injury, comes to Utd and becomes crap. DiMaria, WC player comes to us and ends up being a back up for Ashley Young.
Something may be wrong with our set-up
Well we will see if Di Maria settles in better next season or if his replacement fares better.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
http://www.espnfcasia.com/copa-amer...91/angel-di-maria-finds-groove-with-argentina

Delaney repeats a popular argument - LVG's system restricts Di Maria, he needs more space to run into, we're not using him properly, etc. He also talks about patience, since Di Maria didn't have a chance to properly bed in.

We're not selling him or swapping him for anyone. That's stupid. He's probably the best player in our team after DDG. I mean, have people forgotten what he can do?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You have to say, all this comments in the press have been great. No moaning, or feeling sorry for himself, just positive that he'll get it right this season.

If we can get him playing like this again...:drool:

Brilliant.

On form, he's our best player IMO. So it really is vital for us next season that he begins to feel at home with English football and Lvg's philosophy. Naturally, the fortunes of your best players can decide whether you challenge foe the league title or challenge for 4th.

And like I've said before, I wish we could see more of the defensive side of his game that was evident from his time at Madrid. Not that he was a defensive rock, but his chasing and harrying was fantastic, and one of the things I really liked about him.

Sereques

RVP comes to UTD as a WC striker, has one good year then becomes crap. Falcao, WC striker, albeit recovering from a serious injury, comes to Utd and becomes crap. DiMaria, WC player comes to us and ends up being a back up for Ashley Young.
Something may be wrong with our set-up
Well we will see if Di Maria settles in better next season or if his replacement fares better.
RVP didn't become crap. Second season, Moyes happened

Third season, he played too much football for his age and he said it himself, the WC took a lot out of him.

Drifter

American
Former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan has slammed Louis van Gaal’s handling of Angel Di Maria and accused the Dutch boss of having a problem with South American players throughout his managerial career.

The Uruguayan striker spent four seasons at Old Trafford between 2001 and 2005 but left for Villarreal after struggling to adapt to life in the Premier League.

Despite initially thriving in England, Di Maria has suffered a similar fate since sealing a £59.7million move to the Red Devils last summer.

But Forlan has defended the Argentine’s form at Old Trafford and has accused Van Gaal of failing to get the best out of the former Benfica winger.

‘I thought he was a superb signing for United because he’s one of the best players in the world but I was slightly suprised too,” said Forlan.

“Louis van Gaal has never been a fan of South American players, as my good friend Juan Roman Riquelme will tell you from his time under the Dutchman at Barcelona.

‘Di Maria started out in England like the player we knew he was at Real Madrid in the 2013/14 season. He looked a class above opponents, he ran at defenders, he was a danger around the box and he covered so much ground. Less talented players have felt they were too good to work as hard as him.

‘Players are not robots and if there’s something wrong then their coaches need to find out what the problem is. Di Maria is worth the effort. He offers something different from almost every other player.

‘United will regret it if he leaves. He should be given another season to prove himself and United should try to understand him better and trust him.

‘Great coaches and great players don’t always get on and not every player fits into rigid systems, but Di Maria is worth persisting with.’

Red_Army

I honestly think Di Maria could turn out to be our player of the season this season. He's one of those players who you can just see they are naturally talented, but every player has their ups and downs. As they say, form is temporary, class is permanent. I genuinely think he is a bag of class and we haven't had the best from him yet.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It'll be criminal if we sell him, even if PSG wave a massive cheque in front of us.

We're Manchester United - if we can't find a way to integrate a world class flair attacking player, then there's something wrong with the set up of the club.

Browniee

I honestly think Di Maria could turn out to be our player of the season this season. He's one of those players who you can just see they are naturally talented, but every player has their ups and downs. As they say, form is temporary, class is permanent. I genuinely think he is a bag of class and we haven't had the best from him yet.
said this mid-may. I honestly believe he will tear the league up next season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan has slammed Louis van Gaal’s handling of Angel Di Maria and accused the Dutch boss of having a problem with South American players throughout his managerial career.

The Uruguayan striker spent four seasons at Old Trafford between 2001 and 2005 but left for Villarreal after struggling to adapt to life in the Premier League.

Despite initially thriving in England, Di Maria has suffered a similar fate since sealing a £59.7million move to the Red Devils last summer.

But Forlan has defended the Argentine’s form at Old Trafford and has accused Van Gaal of failing to get the best out of the former Benfica winger.

‘I thought he was a superb signing for United because he’s one of the best players in the world but I was slightly suprised too,” said Forlan.

Louis van Gaal has never been a fan of South American players, as my good friend Juan Roman Riquelme will tell you from his time under the Dutchman at Barcelona.

‘Di Maria started out in England like the player we knew he was at Real Madrid in the 2013/14 season. He looked a class above opponents, he ran at defenders, he was a danger around the box and he covered so much ground. Less talented players have felt they were too good to work as hard as him.

‘Players are not robots and if there’s something wrong then their coaches need to find out what the problem is. Di Maria is worth the effort. He offers something different from almost every other player.

‘United will regret it if he leaves. He should be given another season to prove himself and United should try to understand him better and trust him.

‘Great coaches and great players don’t always get on and not every player fits into rigid systems, but Di Maria is worth persisting with.’
Ffs the amount of people who have an axe to grind against lvg.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Tbf South Americans play more intuitive football whereas the Dutch and Germans more tactical. No wonder LvG loves his Dutch and German players. However in a successful team you need both type of players and hopefully with Ramos' experience in defence and Schneiderlin in midfield Di Maria will be allowed to play his natural game a bit more.

Revan

Assumptionman
They will attack him. Al Khelaifi is a big admirer of him. Last season they were close to sign him, but the FFP stopped them. Since this failure, they kept asking his agent about his situation at United, and a lot of PSG's insiders are convinced that they will go for him, because he's an absolute must for them.

He will fit in their team either on a 4-3-3 with Ibra and Cavani upfront, and Pastore behind, or more a 4-4-2 diamond.

Anyway, Paris are so focused on him, the staff, the fans, but also the players...

I don't want him to leave, but knowing LVG, if PSG offers 80M€ for him (they're able to), then he'll be off to Madrid.... It'll all down the player I guess
Even if they offer that much, we would be still selling him for less that we paid for.

I think that the only way we're gonna sell him is if they offer 60+m pounds and LVG isn't convinced that Di Maria is going to return to his best.

United22

“Louis van Gaal has never been a fan of South American players, as my good friend Juan Roman Riquelme will tell you from his time under the Dutchman at Barcelona.

This is dead spot on. In fact he looked a class above everyone in our team at that time, then suddenly its like a switch was hit and he started playing like Nani...

Whatever we do, we have to get this guy to his very best next season. I'd go as far as saying we won't be successful otherwise

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
At the start of last year, he was playing so loose and relaxed. The flicks, the dribbles, the crossing all looked spontaneous and effortless - defenders couldn't predict his next move. He went to shit when he lost that instinctive style and you could see he was telegraphing his play. Funny enough, I think that's what Young was doing before last year, just being entirely too predictable and trying to force things with the same old moves. If he could figure it out and regain his confidence under LVG, I think di Maria can do the same.

Sparky Rhiwabon

At the start of last year, he was playing so loose and relaxed. The flicks, the dribbles, the crossing all looked spontaneous and effortless - defenders couldn't predict his next move. He went to shit when he lost that instinctive style and you could see he was telegraphing his play. Funny enough, I think that's what Young was doing before last year, just being entirely too predictable and trying to force things with the same old moves. If he could figure it out and regain his confidence under LVG, I think di Maria can do the same.
Isn't it quite likely that Van Gaal was telling him not to play so loose?

MDFC Manager

It'll be criminal if we sell him, even if PSG wave a massive cheque in front of us.

We're Manchester United - if we can't find a way to integrate a world class flair attacking player, then there's something wrong with the set up of the club.
Correct. If we let him go, we'd be back to square one, in terms of improving our attacking play. There's no one on the market to replace him with, either.
Well, there is Sterling, but we can't sign him.

entropy

I think the same can be said of carzola,ozil or even silva during their first season. Players moving from the Spanish league often face this and it isn't surprising. I think he will come good for us next season and lvg can mentor him better. Unlike ozil or carzola he won't fall prey to shouldering the team's offence every time we go forward. He has got great quality players around him to work with.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Isn't it quite likely that Van Gaal was telling him not to play so loose?
I think it can be both. I'm sure LVG asked him to pump the brakes a bit but then the pendulum swung too far the other way. I just see di Maria as too talented a player to not regain his form with us, unless he and LVG really don't get along. Shame he won't get a full preseason this year but at least he's playing himself back into form with Argentina.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I think the same can be said of carzola,ozil or even silva during their first season. Players moving from the Spanish league often face this and it isn't surprising. I think he will come good for us next season and lvg can mentor him better. Unlike ozil or carzola he won't fall prey to shouldering the team's offence every time we go forward. He has got great quality players around him to work with.
For what it's worth, I disagree with the Ozil/Cazorla bit. Ozil got a lot of stick but even during his worst performances his underlying class has shone through in some way. His best performances were a joy to watch.

Neither of them ever came close to playing as poorly as Di Maria did for large parts of last season!

I think Di Maria will come good next season but only if its at a different club. LVG puts the system over the individual and has done throughout his career. The player fits the system and not vice versa.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For what it's worth, I disagree with the Ozil/Cazorla bit. Ozil got a lot of stick but even during his worst performances his underlying class has shone through in some way. His best performances were a joy to watch.

Neither of them ever came close to playing as poorly as Di Maria did for large parts of last season!

I think Di Maria will come good next season but only if its at a different club. LVG puts the system over the individual and has done throughout his career. The player fits the system and not vice versa.
You say that, but among the poor touches or easy dispossession he would have some defence splitting passes that should be nailed on goals. Our strikers messed up a lot of good chances he creates, which makes it look even worse.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
You say that, but among the poor touches or easy dispossession he would have some defence splitting passes that should be nailed on goals. Our strikers messed up a lot of good chances he creates, which makes it look even worse.
No doubt about it, mate. That's because he's a fantastic player. The problem IMO is he's not a LVG player. LVG prefers robotic players who play the system for 90 minutes. He has fallen out with a lot of world class players over this very fact and most of the time, the player is finished under LVG and is benched or sold. All I'll say is, taking account of LVGs history, it would be unusual for Di Maria to bounce back at United. Like I say, it is certainly possible if LVG lets him play with a bit more freedom because he's a fantastic player but that's the part I don't see happening.

entropy

He was pretty bad during the second half of the season but LVG knows the kind of player he has at his disposal. If utilised propelrly, we have seen what he is capable of. LVG was experimenting a lot with our formation and approach going forward. But if he can figure out how to use di maria, he can play a massive role for us next season. I think it is great that LVG's approach moves away from depending too much on individual players and instead focussing on the system. Its an approach that suites the pl more than any other league.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Leo and Masche always joke with me and tell me to go with them to Barcelona but I'm good in Manchester... My first year at each European club where I've played was never good. Then I improved and finished very well. I know that I will repeat that at Man United.
How can anyone not like this guy? He's fully committed to the cause and everything he's said this summer has been positive, his stance has impressed me.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I hope he tears it up this season. We really need a top performing talent like him in attack.

ZDwyr

How can anyone not like this guy? He's fully committed to the cause and everything he's said this summer has been positive, his stance has impressed me.
Wasn't there an interview not long ago where he came out and basically said he didn't understand why he was dropped and stuff?

Ixion

Figures the only time since he joined we've had a lot of sunshine he's off in South America. I bet it pisses it down as soon as he lands back in Manchester.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The issue here is different from a name or so.

This year Di Maria couldn't cope with LVG's philosophy and players like Young and Mata were above him in the pecking order, and as much as we like him, we all know that Di Maria was poor last season. I'm rude enough because someone with his talent and his price should have done better, so he was poor.

We know that he can produce at United, but this is only thinking about the player. What about the team ? Will he be able to do what he didn't last year for LVG ?

In a hand, you have issues on and off the field at Manchester, and in an other hand you have the possibility to leave and find another big club. You doing big efforts or you leave.

I think that he's more down the second thing. And to be honest, if Paris gives us 75-80M€ for him, I guess that Woody will be there to sell him and try to recruit somebody else.

Then who ? Do we really need to buy another winger if he leaves, or can we buy a striker ? (Cavani ? I hate him but there were talks), Kane for 50M, or trying to force Muller or going back to Bale ? .... Maybe another top midfielder like Koke, Vidal...

Di Maria was not a starter last year when we finished for. We all know that if he manages to come in this team he will do great thing, but the fact is that PSG can propose a huge offer for a sub
You ignore the fact that di Maria could actually be a massive improvement from within, an improvement that we'll need in order to reach the levels we're more accustomed to again. Who's to say that if we bring in Cavani or Verratti, they'll automatically perform? They could just as much become subs on a team that finishes fourth. di Maria is a heck of a player with a lot of abilities, instead of just dropping him after a poor start in a new league and at a new club, we should be patient and let him adapt to his new surroundings. LVG seems to expect a lot from his players from a tactical standpoint, so I'd rather have the massively di Maria, who has now experienced a year in the BPL and played a year und LVG than a new guy who basically has to start all over again.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Hamstring is usually 3-4 weeks and he would probably not have come on tour anyways. Not a biggie.

The worrying thing is that we've already started picking up injuries. Doesn't look like our luck will be changing this season. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.