Angel Gomes — Is he the key player to unlock organized defenses?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by DSG, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sep 5, 2019

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Since July in NYC :) Before in Manchester+Hamburg
    Lingard & Mata have had enough chances in the last months for Solskjaer and both were totally awful.

No one can say that Gomes will be much much much better or equally awful BUT he deserves NOW his chances against Leicester and Astana.
  2. Sep 5, 2019

It's B Rubble New Member

He was rated 90 in my FIFA 18 career. Had pace, agility, passing, finishing, and was with Utd for like 10 seasons. Hopefully they were right!
  3. Sep 5, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

Unless we have a major injury crisis I just can't see the lad getting more than 2 or 3 starts in the Premier League this season, if he pulls up a few trees in the Europa League that may change.
  4. Sep 5, 2019

Mr PG New Member

If you play angel you have to play ball players like Fred, mata next to him as he thrives on the give n go . I would absolutely play him.
  5. Sep 5, 2019

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Of course play him. It is not that we risk getting shitty results, do we?
  6. Sep 5, 2019

In Rainbows Full Member

Foden, Skipp, and Morgan Gibbs White. Although it wasn't for the PL, Curtis Jones has more first team minutes than Angel Gomes.

If we were just speaking of 19 year olds playing than you could name Sessegnon, Aarons, Hudson Odoi, and Sancho.

Angel dominated at an earlier age for the youth teams, has better technique than Pereira, and has better vision than both Januzaj and Pereira. If you don't think Angel has vision, than I'm seriously questioning whether you've ever watched him play. He probably has the best vision of anyone I've seen in our youth setup.

Januzaj had vision, but think Angel's weight of pass for that final pass was better. Januzaj was better at holding play up, which is why he excelled as a 9 for us when he was playing alongside Lingard. Januzaj had better ball control whenever the ball came down. On the ground they're pretty even. Januzaj went up a level in regards to going past players after he went on tour with United, so that is something he had that Gomes likely won't have.

The only thing Pereira has over Gomes is probably energy to get stuck in, and set pieces when passing. Gomes is equally as good as Pereira in regards to scoring free kicks though.
  7. Sep 5, 2019

Gandalf Greyhame Full Member Scout

In a tree, spying on the next opposition.
    He's 5'3". Just turned 19, never played 90m for first team.

We could give him a regular chance off the bench for half an hour or so and see how he does, but I doubt he's ready for the step up physically. I mean, he's 10cm shorter than Mata, and will never win any physical battle.
  8. Sep 5, 2019

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

He is still on dial-up connection. Takes a while.
  9. Sep 5, 2019

In Rainbows Full Member

He's 5'5"-5'6". There isn't much difference between he and Daniel James. I think he handles physicality great. He wins fouls a lot when he does fall, and he's handled men well in the few times he's gone up against them. Granted it's a short sample size, but there is no evidence that he's going to crack against men in regards to physicality. Also his technique is really good so he manages to secure possession when others might fail with the same physical pressure on his back.
  10. Sep 5, 2019

jeepers New Member

Honestly nobody has any idea how he would be for the first team, but what we know is Lingard and Mata are not good enough. Well, Lingard is not good enough and Mata’s legs are gone.

The midfield should be McT, Pogba and Fred, with Pogba being the most advanced. He links well with Martial, and sometimes with Rashford.
  11. Sep 5, 2019

jackal&hyde Full Member

I think he can be. He's the most talented nr. 10 we have and at such a young age he already has great vision for a pass and his technical ability is probably only comparable to Pogba. He will impress when given the chance.
  12. Sep 5, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Yeah, in that EFL cup game he showed he can handle physicality. We know that Lingard is not good enough, Mata is ok at best. So I don't see any problem in trying young player who showed lot of potential.

I think he will get chances anyways, hopefully he makes full use of it.
  13. Sep 5, 2019

Red_toad Full Member

Yep he’s just potential. People getting a tad ahead of themselves. Lad will get chances and he needs to ensure he’s better than the other options who are currently ahead of him.
    For all the current crap Mata is getting, he actually has an on field chemistry with James. We need more of that in our team.
  14. Sep 5, 2019

jackal&hyde Full Member

There might be the possibility that the reason we extended Mata contract and not bought a top class nr. 10 is that the club have faith that Gomes will be the man for the job. Everyone from the club speaks very highly of him so i'm sure there is a plan in place.
  15. Sep 5, 2019

Ballist1x New Member

How old was Giggs when he broke through ?
  16. Sep 5, 2019

Mainoldo Full Member

So why not play him? You know who Lampard has faith in? Mount.
  17. Sep 5, 2019

SirAF Ageist

18. Sep 5, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The difference with Giggs is he was lightening fast and rode tackles very well.

Gomes doesn't have that sort of speed, but he does have fantastic control, movement passing and shooting.

He's the perfect number 10, but we don't know if he's ready for the intensity of the premier league yet. He's clearly too good for the reserves level so many of us feel he needs more first team minutes to start improving.

It's similar to the Pogba situation, he was too talented for the reserves and god bored of it, he really needed the next step up. I hope he doesn't have to leave to get that.
  19. Sep 5, 2019

El Zoido Full Member

“Don’t play older experienced players they’re past it, play youth”

“Don’t play Gomes and Greenwood, they’re too young and inexperienced”

The caf strikes again.

On my opinion play them both, if they’re good enough they’re old enough. No time like the present to learn on the job.
  20. Sep 5, 2019

MrSingh2002 Full Member

Ole's philosophy is a tad confusing. He talks about counter attacking but wants to keep the ball well.

Bit silly really isn't it. He's out here competing with Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino who know how they play and set up inside out.

Ole's a fish compared to them yet with no track record of success outside of Norway.

Yet he's in charge of Man Utd and still being trusted to deliver his "philosophy" despite 3 wins in his last 18 games in charge.

Absolutely shocking.
  21. Sep 5, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Counter attacking doesn't means he sets up to counter all the time. When we win possession, he wants us to hit them on the break. When we have possession he wants us to build up the game.

It's just people drawing their own conclusions (I'm doing it too) and then blame manager saying how everything is so confusing.
  22. Sep 5, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

I agree, Give Gomes more time. Could be our supersub.??
  23. Sep 5, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

I would say that he is stronger than Mata in the tackle. He CAN hold his own against the big boys.
  24. Sep 5, 2019

DutchRed7 New Member

Absolutely, you need speed, creativity and passing to break down defences. So Gomes would be ideal
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2019
  25. Sep 5, 2019

CR1 New Member

Yes play Mata/Gomes against teams that sit back, James against teams that attack.

----Martial Rashford------
    --------Mata/Gomes-------
    --Pogba Fred McTominay--
    Shaw Maguire Lindelöf AWB
    -------------DDG-----------

-----Martial Rashford-------
    James-----------------------
    --Pogba Fred McTominay---
    Shaw Maguire Lindelöf AWB
    ------------DDG-------------

I think Ole does intend to give the Academy players more playing time though. He's just waiting for the cups to begin. Let's remember most of the Class of 92 were 20 years or older when they broke through. Gomes and Chong are 19 and they are the oldest ones out of the ones coming through now.
  26. Sep 5, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

The cafe does love going hard for a totally untried youngster!
    I'm not sure if it's a positive thing or a total desperation thing.
  27. Sep 5, 2019

lysglimt Full Member

Gomes deserves a chance - but you also have to find the right matches to give him the chances in. Leicester at home is perhaps not the match - Crystal Palace at home might have been. But I would definately start him in the League cup and in most Europa League-games.
  28. Sep 5, 2019

LVGSdive New Member

At one point everyone was untried.

Besides Gomes isn't just some schmuck from the academy. He is from the England U17 world cup winners aka probably the most talented players we have ever produced. Foden, Gomes, Hudson-Odoi, and Sancho wouldn't look out of plce playing for any club in the world their ability is that good.
  29. Sep 5, 2019

JMack1234 Full Member

Does Angel Gomes have the potential to be a fantastic United player? Yes.
    Is a 19 year old who has played 3 Premier League games the answer to unlocking drilled Premier League defences? No.
  30. Sep 5, 2019

Eleven-Eighteen Full Member

Not Angel. But maybe Jesus
  31. Sep 5, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Physicality in football is over-rated and just a Jose'esq philosophy. The best players in the world are hardly bruisers are they. Look at City, all small guys but with incredible control and technique. Look how physical Lukaku was in size, didn't count for sh!te, he couldn't get past or barge off any CB to save his life..
  32. Sep 5, 2019

Volumiza Full Member

Succinctly put sir, couldn't have said it better myself!
  33. Sep 5, 2019

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Cantwell doing a great job so far this season, also only played 3/4 PL games
  34. Sep 5, 2019

Negative Red New Member

I'm pretty sure that Gomes will get a lot of game time in the Europa League and League Cup and we'll see how he gets on from there. Hopefully his performances will earn him at least a place on the bench for later Premier League games. Failing that at least he'll have some much needed first team game time under his belt. Patience.
  35. Sep 5, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

He hasn't even been on the bench once this season, I hope that changes asap.
  36. Sep 5, 2019

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    So he's not a red devil :wenger:
  37. Sep 5, 2019

redshaw Full Member

He should be on the bench to try. He's the only key left in the draw.
  38. Sep 5, 2019

simplyared Full Member

If he was ready he'd be in the team. Simple as that!
  39. Sep 5, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

City and Barcelona seem very much an outlier though.
    Most top players are blessed physically in one way or another, strength or pace.
  40. Sep 5, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

He'll be off in the summer for free and do a Sancho.

He won't want to stay at United. Can you blame him.