Angel Gomes — Is he the key player to unlock organized defenses?

Bondi77

He does look like a very good technical player and if I was going to make comparisons I would liken him to Kagawa whom I thought was a lovely player but was not cut out for the physicality of the Premier League.
Gomes is English so he would be used to the quicker tempo just by playing youth football in England and he is still a teenager so he may make the grade at Premier level and I look forward to see him attempt to do so.

Mr PG

Gomes is not ready to be a starter in PL. Yesterday he showed skills individually but he couldn't bring fleuncy in the midfield. Note that Astana were really poor, he and chong were replaced by mata and lingard... the two bottom performers of the senior team and they came and played better. The game started getting momentum. So if Ole start depending on Gomes in PL then soon both will finish their career at united.

Substitute appearances and practice with the first team is way to go for Gomes for now.
He’s done well preseason so might be a bit of nerves on his first start. He can definitely do better than he did but I agree none of them is ready to be a starter. Both Gomes and Greenwood are physically about 1-2yrs away from being ready.

NWRed

We should unless he is asking for 100K/wk, but he should be loan out next season, he is nowhere near EPL standard.
He'll grow into PL football very quickly if played. He's an intelligent, skillful player with quick feet and he'll learn how influence games quite quickly if played. I'd guess playing regularly he'd be a good PL player by the end of the season.

Raven

He offered exactly what I thought he would, which was exactly what we've been missing. His touch, dribbling, vision and flair is so many levels above either Mata or Lingard, it's ridiculous. I would love to see him playing with our better players, think he'd shine.

GiddyUp

He offered exactly what I thought he would, which was exactly what we've been missing. His touch, dribbling, vision and flair is so many levels above either Mata or Lingard, it's ridiculous. I would love to see him playing with our better players, think he'd shine.
I would certainly give him a run over Mata and Lingard. Outside of Ashley Young these are the two players I hope to see the back of soon. Too timid for the style of play we are looking for.

Raven

I would certainly give him a run over Mata and Lingard. Outside of Ashley Young these are the two players I hope to see the back of soon. Too timid for the style of play we are looking for.
Yeah, after the Arsenal game next week, I would hope to see him getting some game time in the league, with a view to replacing Mata/Lingard by the end of the season.

GiddyUp

Yeah, after the Arsenal game next week, I would hope to see him getting some game time in the league, with a view to replacing Mata/Lingard by the end of the season.
That would be ideal. We don't know which Arsenal we will be playing that day. At this point giving him a run over the other two wouldn't weaken us. We need something unexpected around the box and Gomes and Martial would complement each other instead of Lingard playing hide and seek.

Raven

That would be ideal. We don't know which Arsenal we will be playing that day. At this point giving him a run over the other two wouldn't weaken us. We need something unexpected around the box and Gomes and Martial would complement each other instead of Lingard playing hide and seek.
A Pogba - Gomes - Martial spine would be so good to watch.

Redpimp

These days no single player can unlock a low block defence. We need a system to do that like City and Pool. So the key here is Ole, not any player, and certainly not a kid like Gomes no matter how talented he is!

In Rainbows

Pereira was insanely rated back then, easily in the level of Januzaj (and to be fair, they have had similar careers so far).
No he wasn't. When he was 16 after that Milk Cup performance, sure, but Januzaj's reputation at age 18 was a level above Pereira at the same age. Januzaj dominated the u21s at age 18 and Pereira did not initially. It wasn't until the 2014/15 season that Pereira stepped up his performances for that level. Gomes dominated the u23s at age 18 too.

It's clear that Wilson wasn't as talented as Januzaj based on ability, but I would be more willing to agree with the idea that he was on the same level based on how he did in his 2013/14 season where he was the main man across the u18, u19, and u21 level.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No he wasn't. When he was 16 after that Milk Cup performance, sure, but Januzaj's reputation at age 18 was a level above Pereira at the same age. Januzaj dominated the u21s at age 18 and Pereira did not initially. It wasn't until the 2014/15 season that Pereira stepped up his performances for that level. Gomes dominated the u23s at age 18 too.

It's clear that Wilson wasn't as talented as Januzaj based on ability, but I would be more willing to agree with the idea that he was on the same level based on how he did in his 2013/14 season where he was the main man across the u18, u19, and u21 level.
How's Januzaj doing lately anyway? He was once so highly rated that I thought he was of similar level of talent as Pogba etc

In Rainbows

How's Januzaj doing lately anyway? He was once so highly rated that I thought he was of similar level of talent as Pogba etc
Very injured last season, but well liked by Sociedad supporters for his performances. This season, he's been average, albeit it's based on like 2-3 matches.

Irrational.

I wouldn't even think of loaning him out, we need to take charge of his development. I can't trust any PL club after the mistake we made with Rossi, who was the last elite attacking talent we loaned out.

playtowin

We are a counter attacking team. We play well against superior sides that have possession. We are lightning fast on the break with Rashford and Martial and Pogba is excellent at through balls and vertical passing. Lingard (despite his many deficiencies) excels at quick passing on the break and supporting the counter.

Our problem is when sides sit back in a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. We don’t have players that can break down defenses in the final third. Mata is our only option, and he just loses 10% of his effectiveness, season after season, and now, unless he’s setting up to take a free kick, you just don’t have much confidence that he’ll create anything.

Angel Gomes, in his limited amount of time on the pitch, has shown he has great ball control, technique and movement in the box. Yes, he’s small, and we probably lose a bit on the defensive side of the ball when he plays - same as Mata, really - but why aren’t we throwing him on in the 70th minute? He’s the only player on the squad that can create in the final third, and if the Palace and Soton games are any indication, 70% of the sides in the PL are just going to sit back against us.

#FreeAngelGomes ???
While I agree with your observations and concerns, it remains to be seen whether he will be the answer when he is put in to the first team proper. (Playing in that team against Astana isn't a great barometer of him playing in a full strength side.)

I absolutely hope that he becomes the answer, as I'm sure every Utd fan does. What he needs this season is an increasing amount of game time and responsibility, and he needs to take those chances and really make an impression.

Gomes has to look at the impact players like Sancho has had, like Rooney had, with next to no first team experience, and emulate that.

Reactions: nimic

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Actually I'd say there were a few times where he passed on responsibility and moved the ball on too quickly when he could have carried out instead. Something Lingard actually does well himself.

He dropped deep, played a one- two with Fred then ran off up the pitch. Those scenarios are where i think he needed to turn and carry the ball himself sometimes. I don't remember him really dribbling at all, so I'd put Lingard ahead there. I also think Mata and Lingard have a bit more authority on the ball, which is to be expected.

Valuedrug

Thought he showed signs of quality for sure. Nice first touch, good balance and ability to turn with the ball and some fine passing. Comparable or better set piece delivery than any of the other options in the squad too. Though that isn't saying much these days.

That being said, I was getting excited for him to do something more, and then he quickly faded. Also, this was Astana, a team we really should be putting to the sword at home even with injuries. I hope he gets proper chances in the the league, though he might still be too raw and lacking in physicality to make a real difference this time season. I wonder how the mental side of his game is. Like how will he react to defenders trying to bully him in the physically tough league games against the smaller teams. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon, if he is set for more games.

Reactions: nimic

meamth

I don't actually believe he will struggle holding the ball in the PL due to his size.

Many times already this season defenders can't even touch him properly, the ball already gone with his cute passing.

Sometimes his turning confuses defenders so much they didn't even make a contact.

Hope he will make a cameo tonight.

Raven

100% want this with mctominay doing the grafting.
The mere fact that Gomes won't give away the ball every time it comes to him is enough for me, most of our moves break down when the ball is passed between the lines, unless it's to Martial.

Raven

Actually I'd say there were a few times where he passed on responsibility and moved the ball on too quickly when he could have carried out instead. Something Lingard actually does well himself.

He dropped deep, played a one- two with Fred then ran off up the pitch. Those scenarios are where i think he needed to turn and carry the ball himself sometimes. I don't remember him really dribbling at all, so I'd put Lingard ahead there. I also think Mata and Lingard have a bit more authority on the ball, which is to be expected.
Agreed, he played a little safer than I would have liked, but I think him staying further up the pitch was a tactical instruction from Ole. He showed enough for me to think he's the most ready out of the 3 young lads for the first team.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Agreed, he played a little safer than I would have liked, but I think him staying further up the pitch was a tactical instruction from Ole. He showed enough for me to think he's the most ready out of the 3 young lads for the first team.
I'd say it was a nice, tidy performance by Gomes. I think after a few more games he'll hopefully start taking more on himself. I wouldn't be opposed to a cameo from him today.

I partly agree about him being the most ready. He had more of the ball than Greenwood and showed some nice things. I also thought Greenwood was very crisp in his passing, one touch football and obviously got a good goal. He nearly had another with a great shot from the angle and nearly goton the end of the Rojo cross. I don't think that should be overlooked either. He made the run for the Rojo cross that our other strikers sometimes don't. He'll score loads with that run alone. Think Greenwood looked fitter than him too if I'm honest.

I'm looking forward to seeing them again this week but a good cameo from Gomes today would certainly help him on the way.

Raven

I'd say it was a nice, tidy performance by Gomes. I think after a few more games he'll hopefully start taking more on himself. I wouldn't be opposed to a cameo from him today.

I partly agree about him being the most ready. He had more of the ball than Greenwood and showed some nice things. I also thought Greenwood was very crisp in his passing, one touch football and obviously got a good goal. He nearly had another with a great shot from the angle and nearly goton the end of the Rojo cross. I don't think that should be overlooked either. He made the run for the Rojo cross that our other strikers sometimes don't. He'll score loads with that run alone. Think Greenwood looked fitter than him too if I'm honest.

I'm looking forward to seeing them again this week but a good cameo from Gomes today would certainly help him on the way.
Yeah Greenwood was decent, but I felt he was struggling with the physical aspect of the game, which is fine, but I thought Gomes was much more clever about his work. Good point about Greenwoods movement though, that's something we're missing.

SaintMuppet

He should get more minutes but to be honest it would be foolish to put too much pressure on the shoulders of himself, Greenwood and Chong.
I don’t think we are gonna have much choice but to pressure these lads as the season goes on. I just hope it does not break any of them. It’s a travesty that the squad had been left in a state that risks our best young players development

He was good but plenty of room for improvement. Size alone isnt his problem. Small players with a low centre of gravity and quick feet can be devastating. Earlier on in his career he was too lightweight but now he looks like he has filled out a bit and knows how to roll bigger players when they're on him.

Under pressure and forced to play on instinct against Astana he looked as good as anyone out there. When he had time to think he was less effective, which suggests a bit of a confidence issue. Throwing him into the PL isn't going to help that in any way. He needs to be slowly bedded in to the first team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was good but plenty of room for improvement. Size alone isnt his problem. Small players with a low centre of gravity and quick feet can be devastating. Earlier on in his career he was too lightweight but now he looks like he has filled out a bit and knows how to roll bigger players when they're on him.

Under pressure and forced to play on instinct against Astana he looked as good as anyone out there. When he had time to think he was less effective, which suggests a bit of a confidence issue. Throwing him into the PL isn't going to help that in any way. He needs to be slowly bedded in to the first team.
It wasn't just confidence, he was trying to play as a team player rather than an individual. However the team as a whole was playing at a pace which didn't suit him. If he is in the side with similar minds like Pogba, Martial etc then he would look better IMO

Considering he didn't get many minutes in pre season and is not likely fully fit I would say it was a decent effort. Hopefully he can continue to build on that over the next couple of months with the cups etc

cyril C

He'll grow into PL football very quickly if played. He's an intelligent, skillful player with quick feet and he'll learn how influence games quite quickly if played. I'd guess playing regularly he'd be a good PL player by the end of the season.
Base on his performance last game and sub appearance so far, we would probably relegated if he keeps on starting for us.

NWRed

Base on his performance last game and sub appearance so far, we would probably relegated if he keeps on starting for us.
He played well against Astana and had 10 minutes in a game without out our 3 main attacking threats on the pitch. Hardly a big sample size. He's 19 and needs game time to develop, like I've said before in this thread, anyone expecting him to come in and tear up the PL doesn't understand football, he'll grow into the role as a PL no 10 and be a good PL player by the end of the season. In 18-36 months he will be a top player, if we give him time.

cyril C

He played well against Astana and had 10 minutes in a game without out our 3 main attacking threats on the pitch. Hardly a big sample size. He's 19 and needs game time to develop, like I've said before in this thread, anyone expecting him to come in and tear up the PL doesn't understand football, he'll grow into the role as a PL no 10 and be a good PL player by the end of the season. In 18-36 months he will be a top player, if we give him time.
People keep on talking about how good he was against Astana, I say he was 2nd worse after Chong. How many times did he give the ball away? I could hardly any good lethal pass, hardly any dribble, hardly any cross. It was Rojo that provided most of the "Lethal" cross, Dalot providing most of the wasteful cross. Apart from not able to protect the ball (for being weak), Gomes often passed it to the opposition.

I won't say he is hopeless because some body building should help, but he is FAR from ready for EPL action.

AFC NimbleThumb

Not when brought on for 10 minutes 1-0 down away from home.

OgS will have a negative effect on our youngsters, not a positive one.

DSG

People keep on talking about how good he was against Astana, I say he was 2nd worse after Chong. How many times did he give the ball away? I could hardly any good lethal pass, hardly any dribble, hardly any cross. It was Rojo that provided most of the "Lethal" cross, Dalot providing most of the wasteful cross. Apart from not able to protect the ball (for being weak), Gomes often passed it to the opposition.

I won't say he is hopeless because some body building should help, but he is FAR from ready for EPL action.
I think you were confusing Gomes with Fred. He might have given the ball away once. When everyone else is saying he looked good maybe you were mixing up the players?

R'hllor

You should go outside and watch into the Sun or something, football game aint it for ya.