Angel Gomes | 2017/18 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How about Messi at 5'10?
That wouldn’t have such an impact. Once you get over 511 max... you start to see drop off in agility. Garrincha, Best, Maradona... that very close control speed dribbling you can’t be too tall for it to work. R9, Cruyff, Savicevic and MVB were excellent taller dribblers, though first three under 6ft and Zidane another taller dribbler but exceptions to the rule. It’s much tougher to have gangly legs and coordinate them as well in tight spaces at speed.. not to mention dodge tackles and be elusive.

SteveW

That wouldn’t have such an impact. Once you get over 511 max... you start to see drop off in agility. Garrincha, Best, Maradona... that very close control speed dribbling you can’t be too tall for it to work. R9, Cruyff, Savicevic and MVB were excellent taller dribblers, though first three under 6ft and Zidane another taller dribbler but exceptions to the rule. It’s much tougher to have gangly legs and coordinate them as well in tight spaces at speed.. not to mention dodge tackles and be elusive.
This is the thing though. If you read back over the last few posts I literally just said "being TINY is not an advantage" As in being 5'6 is not an advantage. Apparently this suggestion is mind bogglingly stupid. I'm wondering if people just can't read?

Who in their right mind would see being 5'6 or smaller as an advantage over someone who was 5'9?

engulfing

It can be an advantage just like being tall can be, but often isn’t in football simply because your legs get too long for great close control, nimble dribbling and agility.

If you look at many good players that are small, they share some characteristics that are somewhat down to their physical stature. They are often very quick off the mark but lack real top speed, such as Iniesta and to an extent Messi, who is overall faster. They often stop quicker and are more nimble. Shorter legs probably give them a relative advantage strength wise. Most great dribblers also seem rather on the small side. Then there are the obvious disadvantages
Someone once told me the best dribblers all have legs roughly the same length as their torso.

Solver

He's similar - Even has that strange way of running. Maybe not quite as fast but probably technically more talented.

He looks very special. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting eased into the first team setup towards the end of the season. No need to rush him - Make sure he keeps his head down.
well said

Red_toad

Player performance thread guys, feckoff n make a thread for physical attributes as it’s all been done to death and is TEDIOUS.

Loublaze

ATLien
If being 5'6 was an advantage in professional football the league would be full of lads who were 5'6. But it's not so it isn't. Not a weird thing to say. Just the truth. Being tiny doesn't mean you can't make it. It just doesn't help.
Being tall is only a clear advantage for CBs and goalies. In other positions the only thing that matters is sheer talent and how you use it. The greatest players ever have mostly been diminutive. The league is not full of 5'6 players because the average height of men is above that obviously.

el3mel

Lol how did this thread exactly turn to a discussion about best height for football ? :lol:

There are different ways to play football, height is one of them not all of it so relax.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Gomez will get some muscle on his frame as he ages and he'll probably become an even better dribbler. Lower body strength is very important for that, and a lot of good dribblers have tree trunk legs and a big arse.

ash_86

Its amazing how every good footballer of ours plays on the left side while we're screaming for someone from the right.

Nuts

If being 5'6 was an advantage in professional football the league would be full of lads who were 5'6. But it's not so it isn't. Not a weird thing to say. Just the truth. Being tiny doesn't mean you can't make it. It just doesn't help.
The great shorter players mentioned by others above didn’t make it despite being short - their height is an integral part of their way of playing. I can’t watch Messi, or Sánchez, without recognising that their low centre of gravity - dictated by their height - is central to their style, ability and approach to the game.

hn4manunited

This kid was electric coming on. This is one special player! Would love to see him more this season. If Jose played him, he’s got a chance to break into the first team in the future.

RooneyLegend

It is in football. The low center of gravity helps a lot with the control of the ball, like toher people here said. That's why Messi and Hazard can dribble past 5-6 players with ease while Ronaldo in his best days struggled to do shit like that.
More a case of Cristiano not having the talent to do that rather than his height hindering him, he's never been the most naturally gifted around. We've seen plenty of tall players who could dribble really well. Zidane, Ronaldo, Ginola, Waddle, Barnes, Le Tiss to name but a few. Lots of dimiunitive players can't dribble for toffee. Same with lots of tall players.

RooneyLegend

You literally said there aren't "a lot more players at the top of the game", yet 90% of the top bracket is made of manlets. We can go back in history if you like where the best players - Xavi, Pele, Scholes, Maradona were also all short. Low height is definitely an advantage in football, to deny this is mind-boggingly stupid.
Really narrow minded post, there's been a lot of really great football players that had a bit of height about them. Zidane, Socrates, Ronaldo(both), Bergkamp, Van Basten, Gulit, Rijkaard, Redondo, Rivaldo, Henry, Kempes etc In this era, the best players seem to be diminutive but in the early 00's it seemed to be the opposite, why? i have no idea.

POF

More a case of Cristiano not having the talent to do that rather than his height hindering him, he's never been the most naturally gifted around. We've seen plenty of tall players who could dribble really well. Zidane, Ronaldo, Ginola, Waddle, Barnes, Le Tiss to name but a few. Lots of dimiunitive players can't dribble for toffee. Same with lots of tall players.
:houllier:
That Ronaldo. Can't dribble for shit! God almighty!!!

Just confirming you are talking about Cristiano Ronaldo?

On Gomes, those little cameos when the game is over as a contest are nice for him, although he could do with a bit more time. He's a very talented kid but his lack of size may mean his step up to the first team is later than some of his peers.

RooneyLegend

:houllier:
That Ronaldo. Can't dribble for shit! God almighty!!!

Just confirming you are talking about Cristiano Ronaldo?

On Gomes, those little cameos when the game is over as a contest are nice for him, although he could do with a bit more time. He's a very talented kid but his lack of size may mean his step up to the first team is later than some of his peers.
No one said he can't dribble for shit, just couldn't/can't dribble to a certain level.

POF

No one said he can't dribble for shit, just couldn't/can't dribble to a certain level.
Yes, but you did say "he has never been the most naturally gifted around", which prompted the :houllier:.

He's the most naturally gifted player I've seen at United. I can only think of Best who might be on the same level of all time United players.

He had the quickest feet of any player I've seen at United and was a dazzling dribbler. United has a tradition of wing play and top class dribblers. Ronaldo was by far the best I've seen.

Carl S Bridge

Nope because he wouldn’t have his same dribbling ability. It’s physics.
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Henry
C.Ronaldo
Zlatan
Kaka
Adriano
Zidane

All at least six foot are they poor dribblers because there not small?

SteveW

Lol how did this thread exactly turn to a discussion about best height for football ? :lol:

There are different ways to play football, height is one of them not all of it so relax.
When people started saying being tiny is an advantage. Being 5'6 doesn't make it easier than being 5'10.

ClosetDevil

Probably a big call, but I remember the feeling I got when I first saw Ronaldo play in his very first game for us. I got that same feeling watching Angel yesterday.

Litch

I think size and strength are taken into consideration when considering how soon you expose you men to adult football. Let's be honest, how else is Scott in the side without it. There are better young players in the club that are better than Scott in that position.

Beaucoup

He's an exciting prospect, I've watched him for for a few years, but let's calm down he only touched the ball twice.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure Jose will jokingly agree to play him more if he commits to Portugal instead of England :lol:

OverratedOpinion

It's a weird thing to say about a young player but I really hope he doesn't have a growth spurt. The low centre of gravity suits his dribbling incredibly well.

SteveW

The height stuff has derailed the thread but its the Sterling comparisons that get to me most. One dribble and people decide he's a winger. He's far more of a David Silva, Iniesta type. He's not even particularly quick.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I hope he gets more minutes under his belt between now and the end of the season. In homes games against the weaker teams he should be given a place on the bench.

Mickfoley

After 5 minutes of game time, he's been called Raheem Sterling, Iniesta, Scholes, David Silva, Modric and Messi.

Litch

The fact he's there speaks volumes. Exciting prospect and at the right club to get his opportunity IF you are good enough and take your opportunities when they are available.

JoaquinJoaquin

What is this thread?

Anyways, from watching this guy with the first team, England youth and our youth teams, He looks like a real fantastic prospect. Can't wait to see him develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.