Angel Gomes | 2017/18 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Messi at 6 4 would be half the player. Stop being so thick
More a case of Cristiano not having the talent to do that rather than his height hindering him, he's never been the most naturally gifted around. We've seen plenty of tall players who could dribble really well. Zidane, Ronaldo, Ginola, Waddle, Barnes, Le Tiss to name but a few. Lots of dimiunitive players can't dribble for toffee. Same with lots of tall players.
Ronaldo not one of the most naturally gifted around? The same guy that every United player told Ferguson to sign up after facing him; he was what, 17-18?

He may not have had the raw talent of Messi, or perhaps not even Giggs, but he is a top tier bracket for talent for sure. Also, being able to use your attributes is talent in itself. One may argue that Nani was at least as talented, or Riquelme, but there are many ways in which to judge talent.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Being too big is a no no when tunneling behind opposition lines

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not to mention our own Anthony Martial has no problems dribbling at high speed using light touches and body-feints as opposed to tricks despite being 6 foot. Still, I think it’s obviously easier to do for shorter players.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I think it's quite a big deal that he's playing at all, he's signed a contract so I don't think they're making sure he doesn't follow the example of Pogba or Sancho. I would have thought Buffonge and Gribbin would hierarchically would be next in line but I can see Gomes slowly being developed on that left wing slot in a similar role to what Iniesta used to play in those incredible Barcelona teams.

Not worried about his size at all, quality always shines through.

Bestietom

I have always said since I seen him with Academy that Gomes is something special. If he is looked after the right way he will be another great for us.

Utdstar01

What is this thread?

Anyways, from watching this guy with the first team, England youth and our youth teams, He looks like a real fantastic prospect. Can't wait to see him develop.
Dare I say it, England could be in great shape in 3 years or so once the current U17 team have developed, we can build them up around the experience of Harry Kane.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Its amazing how every good footballer of ours plays on the left side while we're screaming for someone from the right.
Most of our attacking players are right footed and prefer to cut in (none are 'proper' wingers). Mata's the notable exception (left footed) and he plays on the right.

Liverpool are similar with Mane on the left (right footed) and Salah on the right (left footed).
City on the other hand tend to play with 'proper' wingers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dare I say it, England could be in great shape in 3 years or so once the current U17 team have developed, we can build them up around the experience of Harry Kane.
Reckon Portugal will make a strong play for him, so I don’t think it’s 100% certain he’ll play for England (although very likely given his youth career).

ash_86

Most of our attacking players are right footed and prefer to cut in (none are 'proper' wingers). Mata's the notable exception (left footed) and he plays on the right.

Liverpool are similar with Mane on the left (right footed) and Salah on the right (left footed).
Agree. What are the chances that we end up with right footed players, all taking up the same space? We are lucky to have some gifted players, just wish some of them would be left footed and naturally play on the other side.

Classical Mechanic

It isn't just the 17s, it is the whole group that won international tournaments this summer. I think England could field 2, possibly 3, different sides capable of winning the U19 Euros this summer.

Available attacking options for that tournament alone includes Sancho, Sessegnon, Foden, Hudson-Odoi, Nelson, Mount, Gomes, Neketiah and Brewster!

Reckon Portugal will make a strong play for him, so I don’t think it’s 100% certain he’ll play for England (although very likely given his youth career).
I think he will play for England unless he can't get a look in.

Tapori

It isn't just the 17s, it is the whole group that won international tournaments this summer. I think England could field 2, possibly 3, different sides capable of winning the U19 Euros this summer.

Available attacking options for that tournament alone includes Sancho, Sessegnon, Foden, Hudson-Odoi, Nelson, Mount, Gomes, Neketiah and Brewster!

If England don;t win or get to a final in 8 years times then it will be a generation wasted.
Gomes and Foden look frightening prospects.

Utdstar01

Aye, I admit there are a few others but that particular group at U17 level are the standouts.

Tapori

I think all those names I mentioned deserve to be considered in the highest bracket of potential.
Aye; these aren't your flash in the pan developed-early-cos of pace merchant wingers.
Much has been made of our shit coaching in the country but I watched almost all the U17-matches and these 2 lads and the others were doing what you would want players to do; Reading the game, making the right passes and being creative. Credit to staff.

Haven't been this impressed with a young English kid since I saw Ravel Morrison. (Still forlornly dream Mourinho will re-sign him and make him achieve his potential!) Should be a cautionary tale for any young player.

Tapori

The height stuff has derailed the thread but its the Sterling comparisons that get to me most. One dribble and people decide he's a winger. He's far more of a David Silva, Iniesta type. He's not even particularly quick.
Aye, far better decisions he makes than Sterling at the same age though need to see if he can make them in a 1st-team match regularly.

redom

Was thinking about this earlier and how different it could have been to see Becks or Giggs coming through now, both could quite easily have ended up on the opposite side of the pitch that they made their name on, I'll bet Becks would have scored some absolute beauties with that right foot of his cutting in from the left.

On Gomes, it was nice to see he had the confidence to immediately take on his man and get a shot off, hopefully these little tasters will give him the motivation to really push on and fulfill the potential he clearly has.

Verminator

At the risk of prolonging derailment.
Forget big is best vs best things in small packages.
The reason so many great players are small is pretty simple. Prospective footballers go through an incredible number of selection processes. At each stage they are not only judged on ability, but also potential effectiveness in a physically combative environment.
To truly stand out, a small player has to really shine against players more suitably built, so they have to be more reliant on technique, as they can't use strength and physicality to bail them out or stand out.

It is something I think United have been good at when selecting young players. Some youth teams our boys face look like giants in comparison. (Defenders excepted)

A future with Gomez linking with A Perreira is a mouth watering prospect. If Jesse, Rashford, Pogba and Martial are there too.......:drool:

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Zidane was 6ft + just off my head pretty sure that ibrahimovic bloke and that pogba fella are tall too
Pogba and Zlatan aren't two of the best players in football history.

Pele, Maradona, Iniesta, Xavi, Cruyff, Messi, Best, Di Stefano, Puskas... all either short or of average height (tallest one on that list is Cruyff who was 5'11"). Then you have Ronaldo de Lima (6'0"), Zidane (6'1") and CR7 (6'2") - so it's not even like any of them are massive.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not sure if the U23's will be a good indicator of his progress, we've seen Shaw and Ashley Young look terrible at that level but upon senior level look so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.