4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember the geese

Either that or the 10 position is where he'll end up imo. Mata has played 10 a fair bit under Ole whenever we played with 2 up top and so he'll be taking minutes from Gomes there and it's not like he'll get a look in playing deeper with the midfield options we'll be bringing in. You're right in that he'll affect Greenwood (and Chong FWIW) just as much as far as the right wing goes.

1 renewal and it affects three of our brightest youngsters, feck me
Yeah, Gomes will no doubt pick up a lot of his minutes on the right and Mata is an obstacle for him there. However, I just wish we were a bit braver with him. I'd like us to develop him in a deeper role and have him compete with our other central midfielders. Though I guess it's about being patient as it's not uncommon for young players to be drip fed minutes out wide as opposed to centrally.

As for Greenwood, he is flat out a better option for us on the right than Mata. My thinking is that the club can justify renewing Mata's contract purely because of the "blessing" that is the Europa League. Gomes, Greenwood and Chong should get plenty of minutes there, so it gives us a free pass to keep him on.

Remember the geese

Gomes playing time was on left and right wing. He has got one appearance as an attacking midfield. He is competing against Mata, and not Fred,Pererra etc.
I can see Gomes getting more minutes out wide next season, but my personal preference would be for him to compete for a central spot with our other central midfielders.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Gomes shows determination and puts in extra work all summer, he will play enough to keep developing, regardless of who stays. We have very few players with more talent than him.
Absolutely no evidence we'll play him regardless of how hard he works.

passing-wind

Don't see the point in him staying at the club, he's old enough and got enough youth experience to be dropped into the bench / first team. Instead his development will be muted by an ageing Mata. This club is an utter disgrace.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
His game time was not as a midfielder.
Where? At youth level it absolutely was, and that's where he will be if we have any sense. Not a winger but we could ruin him like we did Mata.

I don't think we can go off the odd minute he had in the first team.

Gomes is doing the right thing, see how this season goes and if he doesn’t get the chances, join a Dortmund-esque side.

Personally think he’ll get a load of chances this year along with Greenwood.

jackal&hyde

He'll get plenty of game time in the cups and Europa League. Some prem time too mostly from the bench. You can't just make a player like this a first team regular. Look at the amount of hate Rashford is getting from not being mister consistent yet. Greenwood is in the same boat.

This is not FM. A young player has to develop confidence not just quality. This comes with being introduced with care to the first team and not just throwing him in to the lions den (media and fan scrutiny) .

In Rainbows

I agree but it appears OGS won’t take that risk and play him as a midfielder
Says who?
It's hard to know. Gomes played out wide when Ole first came in, as he was subbed on for Mata. Against Cardiff he played in the middle as he was subbed on for Pereira.

In the majority of his youth matches he played as a 10. Under Nicky Butt, he played the Modric role as stated below
“Angel has got the ability to play pretty much anywhere. He's a footballer so everyone automatically thinks he's an attacker but we like him in the pivot role to set up play and get the ball moving. He keeps possession and, in European football, keeping the ball is massive. If you don't keep possession in the middle of the park, it's going to be a struggle.
Does Ole's opinion line up with Butt? I don't think we can know at this point.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Seems to have been given a new number as he's now wearing 28 in the training pictures. Wonder if there's any significance to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.