4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKDevil

So clear we need players who treat the ball like a friend rather than s**t themselves in possession.
That alone means this guy deserves a chance - 5ft 3 or not.

BlahRules

Probably the one youth player that needs to go on loan the most. He is not even close to being ready for a squad place at United next year. And even if he was he needs to play. Would do well with a year at a semi-top Dutch club or something similar.
He don’t need to go on loan, what he needs is minutes.

From the minutes he had been given he didn’t hide but tried to be assertive and if he was on the pitch for longer he would had made more of an impact.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Probably the one youth player that needs to go on loan the most. He is not even close to being ready for a squad place at United next year. And even if he was he needs to play. Would do well with a year at a semi-top Dutch club or something similar.
What makes you say that? The only thing I worry about is his lack of physicality in the PL, but I'd much rather have good technicians than big lumps who can't pass and move. Why not give Angel a chance?

SoCross

What I thought about Cole in Jan 2014, talking to someone comparing him to Cleverley and saying he sounds like him but quicker and more technical.

I shouldnt say I saw nothing in him because I clearly noticed a few positive things, but I mentioned he had a glaring weakness in that he only passed the ball to players right next to him and had no range of passing. And thats a reason why I dont think he had an excellent chance, in comparison to Cleverley who was playing in the first team.

So yeah I obviously rate Gomes a lot more than I did Larnell Cole, or Cleverley.
Thanks for those quoted messages, clearly you study your youth players! :) I do believe Gomes is technically better than Cole for sure and is a better player at the same age but concerned for obvious reasons. If I recall right, Cole had a tidier finish on him and was more of a goal threat than Gomes but that wouldn't mean much in the first team i'd think. Hope he'll get a chance.

I liked Cole, but Gomes is better technically, and a better passer with better vision. Cole is perhaps a poor man's Gomes. More akin to Lingard in that he was the side's role player rather than the star Gomes is and has been for the side.

That's something that Gomes could add to his game in order to make him more of a threat as he's already got great vision, and can combine with others in tight spaces. Funnily enough, it's very similar to how Pogba currently is at United compared to his time in our youth system and at Juve.
Agreed. Pogba, Ravel and Tunnicliffe were the standouts of that generation. But then we've got Lingard playing for us now while Ravel and Tunnicliffe have faded away so you never know how these things work. Annoyingly for me, Pogba while clearly a outstanding player still is as weak positionally as he was in the Reserves to me. Think Gomes is better in that aspect comparatively.

Ekeke

We offered him a new contract. Only way we’re geting rid of him is by getting rejected.
Hopefully the contract was £40k less than his previous £140k contract. Then if he stays it isnt so bad, but also gives him a good reason to move on

BlahRules

Hopefully the contract was £40k less than his previous £140k contract. Then if he stays it isnt so bad, but also gives him a good reason to move on
Lets hope so.

There’s rumours that we only overpay the English players... so could be true.

Kostov

We lose absolutely nothing if we replace Mata and Lingard with the likes of this kid, Chong and Greenwood. We can only gain so much. Tough fecking decisions that are.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
There's not much to say other than I hope Ole gives him a chance in pre-season then immediately has him in the squad for the first game of the season if he does well.

SirAF

Ageist
We lose absolutely nothing if we replace Mata and Lingard with the likes of this kid, Chong and Greenwood. We can only gain so much. Tough fecking decisions that are.
Yeah, that call is pretty straightforward.

SirAF

Ageist
I'm not sure if you are sarcastic. It's pretty straightforward decision if you ask me, but someone decided that giving a new deal to Mata was the better decision anyway.
I’m serious :lol:

Mata and Lingard getting minutes ahead of Gomes next season would be a travesty.

MUFC OK

I’m serious :lol:

Mata and Lingard getting minutes ahead of Gomes next season would be a travesty.
Agreed. Mata's minutes should belong to Gomes this season as we are already pretty resigned to a top 4 battle and are 'building something'. Lingard is starting to annoy me intesely - his self entitlement has gone up whilst his performances have plummeted. He's offered little in terms of goals and assists for about 7 months.

Red_toad

Chong has looked completely not ready to step up into the first team, after his few appearances. Greenwood should 100% be getting a lot of minutes next season and Gomes. As they both look ready to start being slowly integrated into the team, or at the very least being given some time to show if they're going to be good enough.
Is always going to be difficult with young player and managing them when as a high pressure club. Shame we're not allowed a feeder club in the lower leagues, like they do in Spain, would really be a positive.
As for Mata and Lingard, they've both proven to be match winners, something that is easily forgotten by fickle fans. They both can be improved on, but nothing is certain with the development of young players.

Kostov

Chong has looked completely not ready to step up into the first team, after his few appearances. Greenwood should 100% be getting a lot of minutes next season and Gomes. As they both look ready to start being slowly integrated into the team, or at the very least being given some time to show if they're going to be good enough.
Is always going to be difficult with young player and managing them when as a high pressure club. Shame we're not allowed a feeder club in the lower leagues, like they do in Spain, would really be a positive.
As for Mata and Lingard, they've both proven to be match winners, something that is easily forgotten by fickle fans. They both can be improved on, but nothing is certain with the development of young players.
What pressure are you talking about mate? Do these group of players feel the pressure of playing for Manchester United? I don't think so. There is no pressure, we only like to mention that when we speak about kids breaking through, but for the most of this overpaid prim donas we have in the squad, there's no pressure, since many of them should have been shipped out, yet they are still earning 100k a week from the club for years.

I mean take a look, these players finished 6th, played dreadful most of the season, I mean there were so many appalling performances, yet we have Young's contract renewed, Jones also, Mata we are begging to stay, Lingard being pushed as some kind of face of Manchester United after scoring a single goal post Boxing Day. And here we are talking about pressure.

They have proven to be match winners? Yeah every 20 games they will sometimes pop up with a goal. The only thing they have proven is that they are not good enough.

I agree on you view on the youngsters, even though I think Chong has looked bright in his cameos but pretty rash. However, giving them the minutes that we will waste on these 2 for example, I'm sure by the end of next season we will have a better option than both Mata/Lingard in one of those 3. Of course it's only my opinion.

Red_toad

What pressure are you talking about mate? Do these group of players feel the pressure of playing for Manchester United? I don't think so. There is no pressure, we only like to mention that when we speak about kids breaking through, but for the most of this overpaid prim donas we have in the squad, there's no pressure, since many of them should have been shipped out, yet they are still earning 100k a week from the club for years.

I mean take a look, these players finished 6th, played dreadful most of the season, I mean there were so many appalling performances, yet we have Young's contract renewed, Jones also, Mata we are begging to stay, Lingard being pushed as some kind of face of Manchester United after scoring a single goal post Boxing Day. And here we are talking about pressure.

They have proven to be match winners? Yeah every 20 games they will sometimes pop up with a goal. The only thing they have proven is that they are not good enough.

I agree on you view on the youngsters, even though I think Chong has looked bright in his cameos but pretty rash. However, giving them the minutes that we will waste on these 2 for example, I'm sure by the end of next season we will have a better option than both Mata/Lingard in one of those 3. Of course it's only my opinion.
I think you need to go read up on mental health issues for high profile sports players. It's well documented. Living in a goldfish bowl isn't healthy for a lot of the population.

Greenwood is usually such a composed finisher, on his debut he'd have struggled to hit a barn door, that's pressure, rest of his game was great.

If you believe there's no pressure performing in-front of 60,000 people, then give it a go, you'll soon find out. Matters not where the team finishes, the fans expect a performance and that does affect the players.

reddev3

So clear we need players who treat the ball like a friend rather than s**t themselves in possession.
That alone means this guy deserves a chance - 5ft 3 or not.
He could be 4ft 3 for all I care, the way I see it with the way the game has gone he is either going to get a foul or turn his man 9/10. It's Chong I worry about because he is tall but skinny and weak so rather than getting fouled he seems to just get brushed to one side as they can go shoulder to shoulder. Either way I hope both at least get a chance this season unless we sign new players that are clearly a lot better than we have got at the moment.

tomaldinho1

We offered him a new contract. Only way we’re geting rid of him is by getting rejected.
What's most annoying is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Mata is just holding the contract and waiting. He's not even a key player for us and he's taking the piss.

Kostov

I think you need to go read up on mental health issues for high profile sports players. It's well documented. Living in a goldfish bowl isn't healthy for a lot of the population.

Greenwood is usually such a composed finisher, on his debut he'd have struggled to hit a barn door, that's pressure, rest of his game was great.

If you believe there's no pressure performing in-front of 60,000 people, then give it a go, you'll soon find out. Matters not where the team finishes, the fans expect a performance and that does affect the players.
We have a far bigger problem with awarding mediocrity than with youngsters crumbling under pressure. Most of them will never even get the chance they deserve because we tolerate shit.

Greenwood was still pretty good if you ask me. Much better than what we see most of the time from some of the seasoned pros.

Of course I believe there’s pressure playing in front of 60,000 people, but I think it’s overstated, there’s so much more in order to make is as a Manchester United.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Alejandro Gomez from Atalanta can't be any bigger than our Gomes, and he's a top quality player. Height really isn't too important for a creative midfield role these days.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Alejandro Gomez from Atalanta can't be any bigger than our Gomes, and he's a top quality player. Height really isn't too important for a creative midfield role these days.
Actually Gomes is even shorter I think. :lol:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Angel Gomes said:
What do you make of the trend that is emerging of players leaving the UK to get game time in other European teams?

A lot of players who have done it have seen it pay off, but, realistically, everyone is different and everyone has their own timings as to when they might break through. Jesse Lingard is a good example of that. He broke through a little later than some of the other players from his age group but look what he’s achieved now. It’s massive. Jadon Sancho is another one. We’ve played together for England for a while and he’s taken that step because he felt he was ready for the demands of first-team football, and he’s shown everyone what he can do. It’s all about timing and, for me, wherever my career goes, I want to be ready to play when the opportunity arises at Man United.
Don't blame him tbh, he used to be national teammates with Jadon Sancho and it's frightening how much JS has developed by being given a chance abroad where Angel is still in the same position.

izec

Don't blame him tbh, he used to be national teammates with Jadon Sancho and it's frightening how much JS has developed by being given a chance abroad where Angel is still in the same position.
if he makes it this season, he will probably sign and stay. Otherwise he will move on i feel. I dont think he expects to be a permanent starter, but a serious squad option, like Sancho when he went to Dortmund at the beginning and Loftus Cheek and Odoi at Chelsea during the season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
if he makes it this season, he will probably sign and stay. Otherwise he will move on i feel. I dont think he expects to be a permanent starter, but a serious squad option, like Sancho when he went to Dortmund at the beginning and Loftus Cheek and Odoi at Chelsea during the season.
Especially considering we're in the Europa League, if he doesn't get game time he should leave for the benefit of his career.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For the start of that to happen we need to move on from Mata & Pereira.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Aye, we need to be a bit more ruthless. Can say that for a lot of players like Lingard, Young, Jones for a start.
Agree. But both Mata & Pereira are the ones playing in Gomes’s position, one is out of contract, while the other one has contract expired next year. No brainer decision to rid them and give Gomes a chance this season.

Hopefully no more new contract for the likes Lingard, Young & Jones. They had their chances and we need to move on if we want to progress.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Agreed. And if he chose to leave I would not blame him one bit. Seeing absolute dross get chance after chance and talented young players not get a look in like they could be any worse.

Based Adnan

If the talks of a new Mata contract is true (esp the 3 year extension) then the first thing I'd be doing if I was Gomes is handing in a transfer request. The club clearly doesn't have any faith in with him regards to the first team.

Remember the geese

If the talks of a new Mata contract is true (esp the 3 year extension) then the first thing I'd be doing if I was Gomes is handing in a transfer request. The club clearly doesn't have any faith in with him regards to the first team.
Gomes is a central midfielder in the Scholes/Xavi mould. Mata is a weird attacking midfielder/inside forward playmaker hybrid. Mason Greenwood is just as likely to feel threatened by Mata's renewal.

Based Adnan

Gomes is a central midfielder in the Scholes/Xavi mould. Mata is a weird attacking midfielder/inside forward playmaker hybrid. Mason Greenwood is just as likely to feel threatened by Mata's renewal.
Either that or the 10 position is where he'll end up imo. Mata has played 10 a fair bit under Ole whenever we played with 2 up top and so he'll be taking minutes from Gomes there and it's not like he'll get a look in playing deeper with the midfield options we'll be bringing in. You're right in that he'll affect Greenwood (and Chong FWIW) just as much as far as the right wing goes.

1 renewal and it affects three of our brightest youngsters, feck me

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
All that talk about not blocking our talents was just that...talk. Have very little faith in this club.

BlahRules

Gomes playing time was on left and right wing. He has got one appearance as an attacking midfield. He is competing against Mata, and not Fred,Pererra etc.

Gordon S

If Gomes shows determination and puts in extra work all summer, he will play enough to keep developing, regardless of who stays. We have very few players with more talent than him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Gomes playing time was on left and right wing. He has got one appearance as an attacking midfield. He is competing against Mata, and not Fred,Pererra etc.
Playing time where? The 6 minutes he had in the first team?

In the u23's he was a midfielder not a winger.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He shouldve just straight up replaced Mata in the squad. Can have Chong replace Alexis Sanchez who somehow does less than Mata did last year, and have Greenwood be the back up striker. That's what we shouldve done with replacing squad players. Improve the starting 11, replace the shite depth with youth like Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, Laird, Tuanzebe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.