4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

Suprised to see him play that role. They trying to change his game?

Was sensational even with his talent level.
U19s and Academy boss Nicky Butt praised his unit via MUTV: ''Angel has got the ability to play pretty much anywhere. He's a footballer so everyone automatically thinks he's an attacker but we like him in the pivot role to set up play and get the ball moving.

"He keeps possession and, in European football, keeping the ball is massive. If you don't keep possession in the middle of the park, it's going to be a struggle.''

Trizy

Did not know he could play that deep. He's making it look effortless and that is a sign of a truly class player.

As someone mentioned previously, I'm happy they're slowly bringing him along the ranks and not rushing him or Chong. I can't wait for a year or two when we replace Lingard with him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Can't wait to see Gomes and Chong with the first team.
And greenwood. Most exciting batch since Ravel Adnan and the Keanes etc. Reckon there’s at least 2 potential high class first team players in there now. Gomes is the one I’m actually least convinced by. I know he’s a total baller at this level but I have a feeling he’s not near as much of a José player as Chong or Greenwood. I reckon he’ll go out on loan next year but as always with our youth: who really knows? I genuinely thought Morrison was destined to become one of the best players in the league

Dante

Average bang
I'm very wary of pinning too many hopes on Gomes and Chong.

I see too many obvious weaknesses that will get amplified in the first team. I mean, all players have weaknesses when they're in at the deep end. But at youth level, you don't want them to be too easily exposed. There's plenty of time for them to iron them out, though.

Greenwood's another matter. He looks great to my eyes.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gomes has been better than Chong this season and being a Mourinho player is irrelevant as he won't be here long term. I'd also wager there is zero chance we'll loan Angel next season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Gomes has been better than Chong this season and being a Mourinho player is irrelevant as he won't be here long term. I'd also wager there is zero chance we'll loan Angel next season.
I guess you’re right and he’ll spend a full season in U21s next year? If he does a lingard that’s still another 4/5 seasons and a few loans before he’s properly getting games at first team, comparing them due to size and possible strongest position. I really hope the 3 players mentioned above can get cameos here this season as it feels like they are exceptional in their age group and blooding the very best youngsters is what I like the most about being a united fan.

limerickcitykid

I guess you’re right and he’ll spend a full season in U21s next year? If he does a Lingard that’s still another 4/5 seasons and a few loans before he’s properly getting games at first team, comparing them due to size and possible strongest position. I really hope the 3 players mentioned above can get cameos here this season as it feels like they are exceptional in their age group and blooding the very best youngsters is what I like the most about being a united fan.
I just can't see us throwing him out to a lower league side due to his size. But then again, yea I suppose we did do that with Lingard. Hopefully with Butt in charge though he'll be more protective in whether to send him out or not and where. Because our loan club choices are often very poor. If he is sent out I'd prefer it to be abroad or to a manager connected to the club and who knows Angel well and won't just bench him after one game for being small. I just don't trust a random loan club with Angel's development.

Would love it if they could get a few cameos and it is certainly what I like to see the most too.

Cheekiey

Having Sancho expload from going to Dortmund, Would it be worth us Sending Angel over there on loan as a part of a deal to get Sancho? on paper thats great for both parties. Obviously this is hyperthetical but I do think a run of games in our first team and Angel would do exactly what Sancho has done. Just don't see it happening with Mourinho, so would a loan to a big club willing to give him a chance benefit Angel and United?

limerickcitykid

Having Sancho expload from going to Dortmund, Would it be worth us Sending Angel over there on loan as a part of a deal to get Sancho? on paper thats great for both parties. Obviously this is hyperthetical but I do think a run of games in our first team and Angel would do exactly what Sancho has done. Just don't see it happening with Mourinho, so would a loan to a big club willing to give him a chance benefit Angel and United?
Why would Dortmund be willing to give him a chance? I'll answer for you, they won't. They have absolutely no need to play teenagers on loan with zero experience. Giving Sancho a chance will earn them near 100m. Giving Angel a chance would earn them nothing.

MJJ

Whats in it for dortmund? They would rather develop their own player.

Cheekiey

Why would Dortmund be willing to give him a chance? I'll answer for you, they won't. They have absolutely no need to play teenagers on loan with zero experience. Giving Sancho a chance will earn them near 100m. Giving Angel a chance would earn them nothing.
Didn't we send Januzaj on loan to them?

limerickcitykid

Didn't we send Januzaj on loan to them?
And then they subsequently didn't play him because they had no need to. They loaned him with the sole intention to be used sparingly as a backup in case they got injuries. A complete waste of time for us and Adnan. Now why on Earth would we do that again with Angel?

Cheekiey

And then they subsequently didn't play him because they had no need to. They loaned him with the sole intention to be used sparingly as a backup in case they got injuries. A complete waste of time for us and Adnan. Now why on Earth would we do that again with Angel?
Just a suggestion pal, I want to see Angel play in our first team, thinking of ways to get him first team football ect.

M16Red

Playing a deeper role now for the unders. Do wonder if he'll make it in that position for us or any one. His not the biggest build.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Playing a deeper role now for the unders. Do wonder if he'll make it in that position for us or any one. His not the biggest build.
It is possible. Two that instantly sprint to mind are Verratti and Santi Cazorla (who, coincidentally I believe is one of Gomes’ favourite players). Just need the right tactical set-up and manager for the task.

automaticflare

Dortmund are better than us FfS
If he can play for them he should be walking into our team

From what I saw from him against Juve ,playing in a deeper role that is,I thought he showed exceptional awareness.
His control in tight spaces and his general all-round composure was refreshing and hugely encouraging.

In Rainbows

Gomes doesn't have the biggest build, but his touch, technique, 1 touch passing, and awareness are all top class. The opposition has a lot of times just given up on trying to press him after he time after time proved to them it was pointless. He's been a little more consistent in his physicality too.

Ekeke

I think playing in that role can only help him learn responsibility with his positioning, how to spot danger, being more physical with his challenges etc. Things which will undoubtedly help him playing in any midfield role in the future. But I dont think the future is bright there for when he breaks into the first team. He'll carry those lessons with him if he's used as an attacking midfielder though so its all good.

Thiagoal

I think he's the sort of player that would instantly look better with fast thinking players around him! The U23's don't look on his wavelength a lot of the time (much of which is probably down to Sbragia)

In Rainbows

I think playing in that role can only help him learn responsibility with his positioning, how to spot danger, being more physical with his challenges etc. Things which will undoubtedly help him playing in any midfield role in the future. But I dont think the future is bright there for when he breaks into the first team. He'll carry those lessons with him if he's used as an attacking midfielder though so its all good.
Why don't you think he can handle that spot at first team level? Scholes could do it at his height.

Ekeke

Why don't you think he can handle that spot at first team level? Scholes could do it at his height.
Its not about him. Its about our current team philosophy. But thats also why I think the lessons he learns in the role at this level will help him even when playing further forward in the first team because that stuff is important to our current manager.

In Rainbows

BTW, for those that didn't get to watch the u19s, here are the performances for Gomes in a deeper role.

fezzerUTD

Are you living in cloud cuckoo land? Serious question.

I think he's the sort of player that would instantly look better with fast thinking players around him! The U23's don't look on his wavelength a lot of the time (much of which is probably down to Sbragia)
To be fair to Sbragia as this is youth football you're pretty much dealt with the hand you are given.

M16Red

His positioning movement and touch is class
He's a very good player and i agree, i just think his end position will be the same as the number on his back a 10, butt did say Gomes reminded him of scholes - who Gary Neville said was tiny. Hope he makes it.

limerickcitykid

To be fair to Sbragia as this is youth football you're pretty much dealt with the hand you are given.
Yea, tbf to him he's been dealt by far the most talented side in the league and yet still can't get them to look cohesive in attack for more than 20 mins a game and the less said about the abysmal defending the better. Very strange how the exact same group of players looked so great in the u18s and continue to look great for the u19s.

ROFLUTION

Seems to be absolutely thriving in this competition. Interesting to see him doing so well as a #6.
Just drooled. That really reminded me of Scholes' long and direct balls. Please, can we have the second coming of Scholes?

In Rainbows

I still think he needs to improve in his general passing. You can see the way he passes and the way Garner passes. There's a very slight difference in accuracy and weight, but it's there. What I like most about him in that role is his attacking ability (through balls, dribbling) and how reliable he is keeping possession. His technique and 1 touch passing don't allow defenders to really pressure him compared to other players. Very important that he's good at this when it helps control the midfield.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure how I feel about him playing deeper.
He's been doing great there, besides he doesn't spend all game deep, he's still given plenty of freedom to get forward. Having him there to dictate our play gives the side so much balance and really helps us out when we're playing out from the back. Full credit it to him, he's shown real maturity in his new role. Must be fantastic to have midfielders like Gomes and Garner to choose from, especially at youth level.

PepsiCola

Thank god Mourinho will be gone before having a real impact on Gomes and Chong.

Thiagoal

Ideal player for Pep's City team! No chance Mourinho plays him as a 6

0le

Thank god Mourinho will be gone before having a real impact on Gomes and Chong.
I hope so, but you never know. Wouldn't put it past the board to keep Mourinho another year...

Status
Not open for further replies.