View full 2018-19 profile

4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
The EPL is far more competitive than any other league, so there is more pressure on each and every game. It’s difficult for the bigger clubs to blood youngsters - it’s obviously a bit short sighted.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I do worry about him physically at the moment. He will have to vastly improve at protecting the ball if he's to get regular minutes at the moment.
I do love the fact that so many of his managers at both club and international level, like to make him captain. Shows he doesn't shy away from responsibility.
I'm not feeding I to the stereotype about physique. David Silva, Isco etc are incredibly hard to disposes, even when they hold on to the ball. They are fantastic at using their low centre of gravity at shielding the ball from the marker. I have not seen Gomes enough to know if he has that ability. Or if he has enough of that ability now to protect him from EPL players, considering he'll get little protection from refs.
If he's going to play as a midfielder in an attacking team, he'll need to be able to use his incredible technique in condensed spaces, turn his marker and create. He has to be able to hold the ball.
As I said, I've barely watched him and would like to know if people who want him him regularly think he's ready in that aspect. Cause if he is, I'd like to see him play as much as possible. Our midfield is dying for a player with his creativity.
If you would like to know, then why did you try claim he will have to vastly improve at it in the first place? And then admit an hour later you've hardly seen him play and actually don't have a clue. What was actually the point of your first post then?

He is amazing at protecting the ball and it is one of his best attributes. He rarely ever loses it except when u23s refs are complete trash (which is every game) and let him to continuously be fouled.

Litch

Excited that we may get the chance to see some of this great young talent get first team game time. Don't believe there's a current pathway for young players when we are paying 50m on a squad player....

Ekeke

He's took the chances he's been given though.
I know it's all to do with money. Big clubs in England especially, we have no time or place for these players mostly as the demand is so high.
It's just such a shame, considering how well all the English sides did in their world cups.
Yes he did, but its not like the big clubs in England never play a young player. Its less often for sure, but most of them you can point to specific games over the course of a season where a young player has been given a game, off the bench or a start.

The difference is he came in and made it an easy choice to give him starts because every time he was on the pitch he was making something happen.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It does make you wonder.
At what level would some of these talents be at if they were given an opportunity in the first team.

Gomes for example, captained and helped win the u17 world cup last year.
He played alongside Foden, Brewster and Sancho.

Foden is being talked up as being a superstar but isn't getting a look in.
Sancho took a risk, moved to Dortmund and is now being talked up as a 100m player
Gomes may get his chance in the coming days.

But what if Foden left for Dortmund, what if Gomes left for them to.

Football is obviously about Ifs and Buts, but England doesn't really trust these players.
Foden is 10th highest 18 or younger player in Europe in terms of minutes this season (528mins). Granted he's not getting Sancho's level of minutes at City, but he is training with the very best of the best and still getting game time compared to his age range. Gomes on the other hand has nothing this season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I like the fact that he seems patient.

While he is small, he does not look like a late developer (like Lingard or Rashford). Not much he can do about his size, but he can try to turn in into an advantage. It takes less energy to move a small body around, and he should look to develop his stamnia. Players like Iniesta, David Silva and Kante plays with aggression and intensity that bigger players will not be able to match. I also like how a player like Fraser have taken care of himself.

I do not think Gomes is a natural talent in terms of stamnia (just my impression), but it should be the easiest part of your game to develop. At Man Utd you would think he is at the right place too, considering we can offer him both time and some of the best people to tailor workouts for him. I believe that he has the talent to make it.

It is just down to him and his mentality/hunger. Is he a Scholes, Beckham, Giggs or a Wilson, Macheda, Januzaj? Most talents are in that last group. The next three years will be the making of him.

mav_9me

Glad to see him in the squad.He is the most outstanding young talent at the club...He’s just a class act really...
Greenwood is giving him stiff competition.

Gomes to me appears to have stagnated a bit. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Adversity can help shape a career just as much as success.

It can also be the case that he would shine when played with the better quality players of first team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Gomes to me appears to have stagnated a bit. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Adversity can help shape a career just as much as success.

It can also be the case that he would shine when played with the better quality players of first team.
Gomes hasn’t stagnated, he’s been one of our best players in the u19s/u23s this season.

Ekeke

We'll have to see if Greenwood can even continue his progress in the u23s. Wouldnt be the first player to be very strong with the kids but not look so outstanding moving up the levels towards playing against men.

Gomes is the kind of player who could play for any club in the world, he'd be coming through at Barcelona's academy etc. He still needs 1 more step up to the first team, but the only chance of a "miss" for him is if playing against more physical players in the championship/premier league he loses some confidence or doesn't enjoy it and he gets kicked out of games a bit like Reyes who had talent but didnt enjoy the physical challenges in the league.

the chameleon

Gomes hasn’t stagnated, he’s been one of our best players in the u19s/u23s this season.
I agree. I actually he's progressed this year more than previous years. He's learned to play deeper. Shown patience in games. I feel all these things will come in useful when he moves up.

There's been many flair / highly technical youngsters who grow up wanting to be a number 10. At some point, in most of their careers, there comes a point where they can't do all the things they did as a 10 as they step up at first-team level. They have this realisation that they need to adapt their game to actually make it or play for a much smaller side and be a big fish in the pond with inferior players.

I get the impression that Gomes is a smart kid and knows this. Hence the reason he's adapted to a deeper role. I feel last season there was a slight dip, but this year he's by far the best young player at the club.

dbs235

I agree. I actually he's progressed this year more than previous years. He's learned to play deeper. Shown patience in games. I feel all these things will come in useful when he moves up.

There's been many flair / highly technical youngsters who grow up wanting to be a number 10. At some point, in most of their careers, there comes a point where they can't do all the things they did as a 10 as they step up at first-team level. They have this realisation that they need to adapt their game to actually make it or play for a much smaller side and be a big fish in the pond with inferior players.

I get the impression that Gomes is a smart kid and knows this. Hence the reason he's adapted to a deeper role. I feel last season there was a slight dip, but this year he's by far the best young player at the club.
Better than Greenwood?

the chameleon

Better than Greenwood?
At this point I would say he is. Greenwood is a year younger and has dominated the u18s and u19s. As the @Ekeke put it, lets see him step up to u23 and repeat that. I've seen many attackers dominate at u18 and not be as effective for reserves / u23. Greenwood is much more talented than those, but having watched the youth system for many years, I've had my share of letdowns and have become more cynical in my older years. Some of the older posters will remember Will Keane, Webber, Ebanks-Blake, Wilson (he did make it, but wasn't as good when he stepped up) + the kid that went Spurs. It's a funny one - being a youth level striker.

Greenwood is the most sublime teen striker I've seen at United (Will Keane previously held that title).

I'm just saying, I see something beyond that from Angel Gomes. We'll learn more about Greenwood in the next 12 months. What is he made of when there are setbacks (injuries and growth spurts) and adversity (step in physicality and criticism).

Mr PG

wilson possessed the talent but lacked the athleticism/energy required to play with men.

Angel Gomez is talented but is so small. Jury is still out on if he's able to cope with the men's game.

the chameleon

wilson possessed the talent but lacked the athleticism/energy required to play with men.

Angel Gomez is talented but is so small. Jury is still out on if he's able to cope with the men's game.
Very true. Though, it didn't stop other smaller players from doing it. I would say he's more than capable of this.

Talking of Wilson. He's still with us. It just made me think. He's on loan at Aberdeen, maybe the Solskjaer appointment may have given him some hope that if he ups his game on loan, Ole might give him a chance when back. Just an out there thought. Seen weirder things happen.

Raven

Great to see him on the bench for a premier league match. Hopefully he'll get some minutes today, looked lively the last time he played for the seniors.

Litch

Isn't gonna get any bigger so the club must thinks he's big enough....

el3mel

Very decent cameo. Hopefully he gets a full half or so against Reading.

mu4c_20le

Didn't really look out of place, can't wait to see more of him and eventually Chong as well.

Red-17

Was good to see him get stuck in a few times physically and he certainly didn't get bullied off the ball which for his size and age is impressive. Hope to see some more of him soon, likely in the FA Cup.

Dante

Average bang
Looked a bit nervous, which is to be expected. You could see the senior players around him trying to get him on the ball which was nice. It probably also shows how much potential they think he has.

It'll take another 10 cameos like this before it's worth posting a meaningful reaction to his performance. The kid's gonna take while to get past his water wings. He's very much still growing into his body.

Red_toad

Looked a bit nervous, which is to be expected. You could see the senior players around him trying to get him on the ball which was nice. It probably also shows how much potential they think he has.

It'll take another 10 cameos like this before it's worth posting a meaningful reaction to his performance. The kid's gonna take while to get past his water wings. He's very much still growing into his body.

He’s tiny, how on earth can you say he’s growing into his body? That’s mind boggling :houllier:

Steven7290

Was good to see him get stuck in a few times physically and he certainly didn't get bullied off the ball which for his size and age is impressive. Hope to see some more of him soon, likely in the FA Cup.
This, those moments i thought to myself this kid may very well be ready for first team football

Kostov

I fecking loved how Ole has the balls to give the kid minutes as soon as it was 3:0. Great talent this boy is, hopefully he gets more minutes in the future followed by Chong and Greenwood as well.

ash_86

I have a feeling Greenwood would regularly start for us before Angel does.

Devil may care

Lovely little technical player, nice to see him get a 10 minutes, wish that shot had gone in. :D

SAFMUTD

I hate being the partypopper but I dont think he is going to make it, the phyisical part of the game is really important.

I know there are small players that are really good, but if we are talking Manchester United level we should be seeing glympses of real magic and I just dont think he haves it in him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hate being the partypopper but I dont think he is going to make it, the phyisical part of the game is really important.

I know there are small players that are really good, but if we are talking Manchester United level we should be seeing glympses of real magic and I just dont think he haves it in him.
Rubbish :) he’s hardly smaller than mata.

He will play in the centre where being big isn’t important.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.