Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It'd be lovely to see him make a cameo today, in the role Mata was playing before his injury hopefully.

Phil

Was Gomes not meant to be the most highly rated of our kids? Why does he seem to be lower in the pecking order?

DBT85

Was Gomes not meant to be the most highly rated of our kids? Why does he seem to be lower in the pecking order?
Could be the role players are being brought on for.

Chong and last night Greenwood have pace. Maybe Gomes is going to get the nod when we're looking to get Herrera or Pogba off but are comfortable?

kundalini

In the past he was. Right now, Greenwood clearly ahead of him in terms of potential, though Mason hasn't played much at U23 level. Gomes and Chong similar performance levels at U23 this season. During the pre-season tour, Chong got far more playing time than the others, and looked promising.

Gomes had already made his debut under Mourinho. Angel came on as a sub for the last 10 mins against Huddersfield in Solskjaer's 2nd game. He was also an unused sub for the Southampton match, as well as PSG.

Originally Nicky Butt planned to send some of the highly rated youngsters out on loan during the 2nd half of the season. Solskjaer said he wanted them involved in the first team so he been looking for opportunities to give them their United debut. Chong got his against Reading in the FA Cup. Garner late sub against Palace.

If you need a goal in the last 10 mins against PSG then Chong and Greenwood are probably more likely to come up with something than Angel in that type of match. Had PSG been defending in a low block then may be Angel would have been chosen.

I don't think the pecking order is clear-cut at all. None have them have been involved a lot. Their opportunities to get mins have largely depended on the match situation. Next season it may become more obvious who the club thinks is ready to make an impact.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

He's still top 2. Only Greenwood is above him. He's still our most technically gifted player too.

RedCurry

There’s no top kid at the moment. They’ll be used depending on our situation. Both Chong and Greenwood might offer more of a goal threat and higher pressing compared to Gomes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably the Lingard effect of being tiny to the extent of wanting to protect them that bit more. Chong has loads of pace so can make a quicker impact, while we needed a goal and Greenwood is a goalscorer. Gomes will get his chances but the game situations havent been quite right for him compared to the others.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He played in a deeper role on Monday and played well. Great vision and passing. Could he be a midfield / Pogba back up for us next season? Of course physicality of first team football is always the question with him, but he really got stuck in this game.

In Rainbows

Gomes always does really well in CM. Helped keep possession, utilized his close control to calm the press, broke lines with his passing, and didn't shirk his defensive duties. Thought his only fault was that poor clearance from Kovar which led to the goal. It sucks that they lost. Butt has been our only coach to play him in that deeper role and now he likely doesn't play there again.

kundalini

I find it interesting that our U23s have won 4 drawn 3 and lost 5 when Angel starts this season. When he doesn't start 3 wins (one of which he came on as a late sub), 2 draws and 2 defeats. The team scored 15 in the 12 matches he has started and 10 in the 6 games he missed and one game he was a sub. Gomes has 5 goals (2 penalties) and 2 assists.

Last season at U23 level, 3 starts, 3 losses. Team scored one goal.

He needs to have far more impact on matches at this level next season.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I find it interesting that our U23s have won 4 drawn 3 and lost 5 when Angel starts this season. When he doesn't start 3 wins (one of which he came on as a late sub), 2 draws and 2 defeats. The team scored 15 in the 12 matches he has started and 10 in the 6 games he missed and one game he was a sub. Gomes has 5 goals (2 penalties) and 2 assists.

Could of course argue that he's had a hand in nearly half the goals scored when he was on the pitch? Whilst it would be nice if he took more responsibility on, very hard to judge the level of someone in this team at the moment. That is a god awful record for a United reserve team in any division, let alone the second tier.

Raven

He played in a deeper role on Monday and played well. Great vision and passing. Could he be a midfield / Pogba back up for us next season? Of course physicality of first team football is always the question with him, but he really got stuck in this game.

His passing looks absolutely quality there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Once he matures physically, think he'll be a hell of a CM.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The defence is shite. They probably miss a work horse in front of them to protect them a bit more, but let's be honest the 19's isn't about smashing every team, it's about development.

He's got all the technique and skill, just needs to learn how to position himself well defensively and read the game. If Kante can do it then size isn't an issue.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He probably needs some time. He can reach the level and play very similar to Verratti if he takes one route. He can even become like a hybrid between Silva and Verratti if he takes a different route. He is a very interesting player and we'll just have to wait.

If he was to go on loan to a club, we have to be very careful as to where he ends up. It has to be a club who can guarantee him a spot in the position we want to develop him, with a team around him that will enable him to develop. Championship sides are probably out of the question. Maybe Eredivisie or Bundesliga. In Germany he might have more of a difficult time to establish himself but might reap the benefits of facing tougher opposition and play with a higher tempo every week. It is a tough one.

deafepl

He's more of Iniesta, Silva, Cazorla, Verrarti mould, rather than the likes of Kante, Torreira, Sari, etc.

Kyle2834

He's more of Iniesta, Silva, Cazorla, Verrarti mould, rather than the likes of Kante, Torreira, Sari, etc.
I recently just watched a compilation video of Thiago at Bayern, and Gomes in that deeper role, for me, shares similarities with him.

Classical Mechanic

Two assists and good play for England U19 beating Czeck Republik U19 4-1, allegedly. Anyone seen the game or know more?
It's a very talented u19 England, even though the most of the best players have now moved up. This tweet is courtesy from @In Rainbows

CR went 1-0 up very early with a screamer which proved to be an aberration. England then took over for an eventual routine victory.

Grande

It's a very talented u19 England, even though the most of the best players have now moved up. This tweet is courtesy from @In Rainbows

CR went 1-0 up very early with a screamer which proved to be an aberration. England then took over for an eventual routine victory.
Thanks! Good to see Gomes is still doing the business at NT level.

Who is Neil Greenwood? Mason’s dad?

Classical Mechanic

Both of Gomes assists on here, both to Saka (I think) first one definitely is. A great team goal straight from kick off after conceding. Lovely outside of the boot pass from Gomes and great finish from Saka.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think he's ready for a bigger role next season. He shouldn't be loaned out.

In Rainbows

I think he's ready for a bigger role next season. He shouldn't be loaned out.
I think it's clear he should play a midfield role. Whenever I hear he doesn't impose himself (which I agree with) it's from the standpoint of an attacker. He has everything in his locker to play a slightly deeper role like Arthur at Barca.

Based Adnan

I get he's only 18 and absolutely tiny but he should have way more minutes to his name than he currently has imo. Even if it is just 15 minute cameos here and there in dead rubber/cup games or games we're already winning comfortably. You see players like Hudson Odoi and Phil Foden getting minutes and Angel is just as big of a talent yet he has 3 apps totaling probably less than 10 minutes.

Loublaze

ATLien
I get he's only 18 and absolutely tiny but he should have way more minutes to his name than he currently has imo. Even if it is just 15 minute cameos here and there in dead rubber/cup games or games we're already winning comfortably. You see players like Hudson Odoi and Phil Foden getting minutes and Angel is just as big of a talent yet he has 3 apps totaling probably less than 10 minutes.
I can agree with this. The kid has more technical ability than most players in the squad

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I want to see this lad play in a double pivot in the final two games of the season. Either next to Fred or even McTominay. Anyone agree?

Aloysius's Back 3

I want to see this lad play in a double pivot in the final two games of the season. Either next to Fred or even McTominay. Anyone agree?
Yes.

We need a player like him to give us a bit of creativity to the squad.

Even if he isn't ready - the current squad can't create some of the most basic chances so it's not like he is out of his league as of yet.

Red00012

Now is not the time, we’ve 3 games to go and 3 wins will put us in a great position to get top 4.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Now is not the time, we’ve 3 games to go and 3 wins will put us in a great position to get top 4.
The final two games are against Huddersfield away and Cardiff at home. I personally wouldn't hesitate to play Gomes over McTominay or Fred in a double pivot against either side.

FerociousCorgis

it will never be the time by that reasoning. Next season will be it is the time for a strong start. Then it will be well we are already a little behind our opponents and need to catch up in the title race. Then it will be time for us to buckle down and try to grind out points to stay in race. Then it will be back end of season time and there are only so and so many games left.
At some point Ole needs to put his money where his mouth is and integrate some sort of youngster. Can't tell me greenwood or gomes didnt deserve a look considering how long it has been since we scored from open play. Easier to run your mouth about youngsters when you aren't manager of the club than as manager of the club it seems Ole is finding out.

Raven

He's my biggest club legend on an ongoing save on FM 17/18, just behind George best in the all times. Back in reality though, I doubt he'll get a kick before the end of the season.

Remember the geese

If we fail to beat Chelsea, then yeah why not? Going into next season, I want him to be considered a fully fledged member of our first team squad. Aside from Pogba, we don't have another midfield player with his imagination and technical ability. He's a joy to watch and I believe he can play a big part in the future success of the club. Along with others from our academy, he just needs an opportunity.

Red00012

it will never be the time by that reasoning. Next season will be it is the time for a strong start. Then it will be well we are already a little behind our opponents and need to catch up in the title race. Then it will be time for us to buckle down and try to grind out points to stay in race. Then it will be back end of season time and there are only so and so many games left.
At some point Ole needs to put his money where his mouth is and integrate some sort of youngster. Can't tell me greenwood or gomes didnt deserve a look considering how long it has been since we scored from open play. Easier to run your mouth about youngsters when you aren't manager of the club than as manager of the club it seems Ole is finding out.
It was Gomes that was mentioned and my response is about him ,I don’t rate him as much as Greenwood, I wouldnt say no to seeing Mason starting Sunday on the right.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I wouldn't trust these "first team players" to win an egg and spoon let alone show some hunger/fight in the last three games, if we're planning on getting rid of certain players in the summer then don't rely on them to get us top 4, play players that could have a future here.

kundalini

Only one person's opinion but still I thought it was interesting. The guy who does the academyreview twitter https://twitter.com/academyreview , attends all the U23s and U18s etc. If you can't be bothered to watch/listen to all 25 mins, he thinks Angel isn't ready for the first team right now and hasn't made as much progress this season as some of the other talents.

Was the star at U18 level but not yet established himself in the same fashion at U23 level. Does still rate him and hopes he can make it in the medium to longer term. Might need to take the Lingard route of going out on loan before breaking through, though if we happened to be in the Europa League next season, that might be an opportunity for him. Believes injuries have stalled his development this season. (Gomes has made 15 starts for the U23s so can't have been that injured - my opinion, not his).

Said McKenna now being first team coach should help Angel. He was very impressed by McKenna when he coached the U18s. Quite a few questions about Gomes' size and ability to handle the physical side of the game.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

I disagree with him. Thought Gomes has been our best player this season along with Greenwood (followed by Garner). Think last season was a better example of that opinion as he didn't take to the u23s as well in his very few appearances before injury. In general it's true that he isn't in the same stage of development as Foden and Hudson Odoi, but again, more so due to last season. He's been pretty class this season.

It was a good, measured, and accurate critique compared to the hype he had though. Some fans think Gomes is Messi where as his play style is much different (aside from talent).

Any perceived low performance should be aimed at Sbragia's inability to get the best out of the players he has even if acknowledging how much changing there is in the u23s.

Status
Not open for further replies.