4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

United, even under SAF's reign, would seldom play successfully with a number 10. I think Gomes is the most talented and exciting out of the "youthful 4", yet I feel his position, more than his physical stature, would hinder him.

That being said, once Ole (hopefully) establishes his style of football, he would suit it and be given a chance. And yes, it is a shame he isn't mentioned as frequently as Chong or Greenwood.
He looks very very good. What has me very much hopeful for him is that Jose actually have him a chance. If a manager like that rated him, I think that says a lot about his ability and character

Man Utd 0:2 Cardiff

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
More talent in his little toe than most of that first XI put together. Needs to be playing first team football. Feck this he’s too short bullshit.

In Rainbows

Should be a CM. He's so good on the ball he'll be great to help us win possession battles.

Zlatattack

Had some good moments including a great pass from deep. Shame his team mates didnt pass to him more often, was always in the right place.

In Rainbows

Had some good moments including a great pass from deep. Shame his team mates didnt pass to him more often, was always in the right place.
Valencia pretty much ruined the corner after Gomes made the run, but Valencia was too slow in his thinking or his technique wasn't good enough to get the timing right.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Did well when he came one. He and Greenwood need to play more next year if they keep up the hard work.

Golden Nugget

He impresses me every time I watch him. His technique is really good and so are his passes.

RedCurry

He’s still a kid. You just cannot expect someone his age to be a permanent fixture in the first team unless the rest of the team is full of experience and ability. Hopefully he features more next season and develops into a top player for us.

kundalini

Looked decent. Shot from near the edge of their box was not that great.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
You can tell he’s a very talented player. And he kept on making himself available for a pass and never stopped running. Very good attitude. I’d rather play the likes of him, chong and Greenwood over some of the crap in our team. At the very least they understand the basics of making yourself available for a pass, movement and hard work.

haram

Why did Ole take so long to bring him on? Seriously, we were 2-0 down and he took ages.

In Rainbows

So seeing as Gomes came in for Pereira, does that mean that he sees Gomes as a midfielder? I know Butt said that United see him as a midfielder rather than an attacker, but I've been unsure how Ole sees him given the lack of playing time (evidence). I hope that's the case. Pereira has been disappointing in that role for United. There are too many instances of him failing to execute what he's going for similar to Fred and that's something I don't want my midfielder to do. I want someone like Gomes who has a perfect first touch and ability to retain possession.

I also think this was more evidence of Angel's size not being relevant to his performance because he plays in a way where his size means nothing. Only without the ball can you cite his physical inferiority.

Kostov

That lofted pass from deep was something you will never ever see from Lingard for example, our 100k+ a week number 10. He should be in the squad next season regularly, he's got a future here, unlike some of the cloggers we play week in week out.

Gordon S

Looked more comfortable on the ball than most of our senior players, if not all. Always active, always trying to be creative. If he could convince his buddy Jadon to come here they could have loads of fun next season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sadly I don't think he'll be trusted enough to play much due to his physique as ridiculous as that is.
It’s criminal that this is the case. He’s the type of player that would thrive in a Pep side and we have a gem of our own who we are taking the piss with to blood into the side.

With youngsters you can’t take too long with certain individuals as they can stagnate if not tested enough. He’s already at a level where he needs to be given first team football and we see guys like Chong who is IMO much more raw than this kid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It’s criminal that this is the case. He’s the type of player that would thrive in a Pep side and we have a gem of our own who we are taking the piss with to blood into the side.

With youngsters you can’t take too long with certain individuals as they can stagnate if not tested enough. He’s already at a level where he needs to be given first team football and we see guys like Chong who is IMO much more raw than this kid.
Agreed. Gomes and Greenwood are very good technical players and looks more close to the first team than Chong. Tbf they are so much better than some of the players we are playing week in week out.

At worst, they should be part of Europa league squad and play every game.

roonster09

Scout
That lofted pass from deep was something you will never ever see from Lingard for example, our 100k+ a week number 10. He should be in the squad next season regularly, he's got a future here, unlike some of the cloggers we play week in week out.
Agree with this. He has got very good passing ability, both long and short.

Btw that lofted pass is something that none of our midfielders even attempts except Pogba.

Kostov

Agree with this. He has got very good passing ability, both long and short.

Btw that lofted pass is something that none of our midfielders even attempts except Pogba.
To be fair I don't expect that from McTominay, but as I said our number 10 Lingard isn't capable of it, which is laughable. Pogba of course does that since he's ridiculously talented.

roonster09

Scout
To be fair I don't expect that from McTominay, but as I said our number 10 Lingard isn't capable of it, which is laughable. Pogba of course does that since he's ridiculously talented.
Yeah, but those are the passes we should expect from ManUtd midfielders, 10 or 8. For example, City's LB and Liverpool's RB plays passes that would make our midfielders look like pub players.

We have lower the bar way too much. Gomes pass was very good but that's something we should expect from ManUtd players.

Also apart from Pogba, none of our players can even pass the ball from deep which is pathetic. We had Carrick and Scholes who used to pick wingers very easily from deep positions, now only pass that our midfielders and CBs can play is easy short passes.

Kostov

Yeah, but those are the passes we should expect from ManUtd midfielders, 10 or 8. For example, City's LB and Liverpool's RB plays passes that would make our midfielders look like pub players.

We have lower the bar way too much. Gomes pass was very good but that's something we should expect from ManUtd players.

Also apart from Pogba, none of our players can even pass the ball from deep which is pathetic. We had Carrick and Scholes who used to pick wingers very easily from deep positions, now only pass that our midfielders and CBs can play is easy short passes.
Nowadays it's enough if our number 10 runs around and has "great movement apparently', where that leaves the other midfielder makes me wondering. I totally agree with you regarding standards, they are baffling low.

red_john

Shame he didn't get more time. Really hope he is part of the plans.

johanovic

Gomes is a joy to watch as it´s clear that he has a lot of talent. Some talk about his size being a problem but it did not stop Scholes,Iniesta,Veratti,Xavi from being very good midfielders. I´m not saying he will reach their level but he has a big chance to develop into a very good United player. We need players like him that can pass the ball in tight spaces and have vision to match.

Red_toad

More talent in his little toe than most of that first XI put together. Needs to be playing first team football. Feck this he’s too short bullshit.
He has amazing ability to find space on the pitch, so he's not actually having to physically compete with larger players. Shame the rest of our team weren't on the same wavelength as him. He had a very tidy cameo performance yet again, such a intelligent player. I'm hoping we'll see a lot lot more of him next season.

Pughnichi

Why did Ole take so long to bring him on? Seriously, we were 2-0 down and he took ages.
Why didn’t he start him. Nothing to play for. Learnt nothing we don’t know already about that line up

Hoof the ball

Bernardo Silva is 5'8 and only 141 lbs
Phil Foden is 5'7 and around 150 lbs
Angel Gomes is 5'3 and billed as 115 lbs

He's a little light at the moment and it'd help if we played the kind of football that minimised his weaknesses and played to his strengths.
If he can put on around 10 lbs and play around 125 lbs that would make him around the same weight as Valbuena (128 lbs), although in some respects, Valbuena being that weight at 5'6 seems too small.

Talent wise, Gomes is excellent. We've got to really start thinking about how we can implement a game to suit Gomes, or else he's going to find his chances limited.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Really rate him highly but I don't understand people dismissing the worry about his height. I'm not saying it will hinder him for sure but it's definitely a worry. Time will tell if he's good enough to conquer it. I don't know of any successful top level players at 5'3 so I really hope he grows till about 5'5 or 5'6.

I know it's all about technique but I worry at 5'3 he'll get manhandled by someone like Van Dijk.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Really rate him highly but I don't understand people dismissing the worry about his height. I'm not saying it will hinder him for sure but it's definitely a worry. Time will tell if he's good enough to conquer it. I don't know of any successful top level players at 5'3 so I really hope he grows till about 5'5 or 5'6.

I know it's all about technique but I worry at 5'3 he'll get manhandled by someone like Van Dijk.
He shouldn't ever really be in a position to be manhandled by him. His centre of gravity must be so low, that he can use that to his advantage (like we see him do) to turn the bigger stronger players and draw fouls.

shamans

He shouldn't ever really be in a position to be manhandled by him. His centre of gravity must be so low, that he can use that to his advantage (like we see him do) to turn the bigger stronger players and draw fouls.
Only time will tell. You have to be a proper magician (Cazorla/Maradona) to be a success at that height. I mean even Maradona was 5'5 if I'm not wrong. Just don't understand people who laugh at the idea that his height is even a concern.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Only time will tell. You have to be a proper magician (Cazorla/Maradona) to be a success at that height. I mean even Maradona was 5'5 if I'm not wrong. Just don't understand people who laugh at the idea that his height is even a concern.
I understand the concern, but would be more worried about those at 5'9/5'10 who can stick with him AND use their size to compete with him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Tottenham's Sissoko possibly could. I hope it doesn't come to that but I do agree, him being tiny is a concern.

shamans

I understand the concern, but would be more worried about those at 5'9/5'10 who can stick with him AND use their size to compete with him.
I agree. Van Dijk was a bad example. It's more of those that are closer to his height because after a certain height the "moving around fast" thing has diminishing return and players that are say 5'8 and very physical may have a good time against him.

Still, generalizations only get you so far. He oozes talent with the ball at his feet and who knows how good he can be.

steakpie

Strange comment.
He isn't 5'3. Looks more 5'6 in recent photos.

And If Gomes was playing Vs Liverpool, then he wouldn't challenge Van Dijk in the air or have his back to goal with VVD pressing him from behind, Gomes is a maestro, the type of player who finds space and plays tidy little passes and through balls. Not sure if he's the real deal yet but deserves a chance.

shamans

Strange comment.
He isn't 5'3. Looks more 5'6 in recent photos.

And If Gomes was playing Vs Liverpool, then he wouldn't challenge Van Dijk in the air or have his back to goal with VVD pressing him from behind, Gomes is a maestro, the type of player who finds space and plays tidy little passes and through balls. Not sure if he's the real deal yet but deserves a chance.
Don't get what so strange about my comment. I'm going by his height reported online. Of course he deserves a chance but right now his heigh is a concern for me. Time will tell how good he is.

Aloysius's Back 3

I don't want him on loan as I feel we could do with a player like him in the first team - but I kind of also want to see him on loan on Spain.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't get what so strange about my comment. I'm going by his height reported online. Of course he deserves a chance but right now his heigh is a concern for me. Time will tell how good he is.
His reported height online hasn't changed since he was about 15 though, you might want to take it with a hefty pinch of salt.

Transfermarkt has him down as just over 5'5 (same height as Zola) which is also probably an underestimate given he's still growing.

Last edited:

Raven

Don't think his height will be a problem in the slightest. He's the type if player to use his height to his advantage. Really hope we get to see more of him next season, he's a magician when he's on the ball and always seems to find himself in a few yards of space.

Conor

People talking about him being manhandled by 6'3" CBs haha, if they go near him it will be a foul half the time, people that small are actually very hard to defend against when you're a big lump.

Status
Not open for further replies.