5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drainy

Given that our number 10s are Lingard, Andreas and Mata he should get game time there if we don't sign anyone else.

He's not a left winger.

Litch

You can give him games and still be patient.
You can but he's a long way down the current pecking order of getting first team football and so was Pogs when he was here....the rest is history.

Litch

Given that our number 10s are Lingard, Andreas and Mata he should get game time there if we don't sign anyone else.

He's not a left winger.
Agree not a winger but all 3 of them are wrongly in front of him and then that's based on playing with a number 10. Can't see where he gets regular football at mo....

Nick7

I get people saying he should be ahead of those players, but honestly I think he needs to be eased in for the first part of the season.

passing-wind

He will be gone by the 2020 year it's almost a guarantee. Andreas given new contract underserved, Mata new contract and Lingard undeservedly is a starter.

How is it that Foden / Gomes were presumably at a similar level at youth ranking but with Foden competing with Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo and De Bryune he's managed to get more game time against Gomes with Andreas, Mata, Herrera and Fred ? This club has massively failed him.

Mickson

He's a player that I would pay to watch. He's a really good footballer, and I saw someone write on Twitter that he's like Mata but fast. He even won one header and is a lot better than Mata at retaining the ball. He should be given a chance to play, makes our play tick.

AshRK

From what I have seen so far ,more impressive than Chong. Should get minutes.

Nick7

He will be gone by the 2020 year it's almost a guarantee. Andreas given new contract underserved, Mata new contract and Lingard undeservedly is a starter.

How is it that Foden / Gomes were presumably at a similar level at youth ranking but with Foden competing with Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo and De Bryune he's managed to get more game time against Gomes with Andreas, Mata, Herrera and Fred ? This club has massively failed him.
Jesus fecking christ.

Chairman Steve

For the love of god I hope he plays so he stays. It can't help either that Pogba's there, who'll tell him he left when they picked Cleverley over him so he left for Turin and propelled his career, whilst Cleverley struggles for games at Watford.

Last edited:

SteveW

It will be a travesty if he's not given a decent chance this season. He's just so bloody good on the ball and very versatile. Mata with more pace and trickery. I'd love to see himself and Pogba strike up and understanding in midfield.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It will be a travesty if he's not given a decent chance this season. He's just so bloody good on the ball and very versatile. Mata with more pace and trickery. I'd love to see himself and Pogba strike up and understanding in midfield.
The talent between them is total Messi. Drooling over that prospect.

Fer

I can't believe that he could go next season for free while we extended the contract to other players.

Raven

I could see them absolutely running games to be totally honest.
Yeah. As highly as I rate Greenwood, I feel Gomes is just such a natural footballer, you can see it through everything from his movement, to his touch, to his vision. I really hope he gets his chance here properly.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He needs to be given plenty of starts from now on starting with Leeds next week so we can gain a better understanding of his ability regards the first team. The games against the two Milan clubs and Spurs will be a better barometer of his ability.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I can't believe that he could go next season for free while we extended the contract to other players.
How? I don't see the relevance of people continuously saying this. What does Andreas and Mata wanting to sign new contracts have to do with Angel not wanting to sign one? Contracts aren't one sided you know right?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
How? I don't see the relevance of people continuously saying this. What does Andreas and Mata wanting to sign new contracts have to do with Angel not wanting to sign one? Contracts aren't one sided you know right?
I agree with you, I guess from an outside perspective fans are just assuming the clubs priorities are not right.

But each players situation is completely different. Good post.

SteveW

Yeah. As highly as I rate Greenwood, I feel Gomes is just such a natural footballer, you can see it through everything from his movement, to his touch, to his vision. I really hope he gets his chance here properly.
He's also an absolute pleasure to watch. From a selfish standpoint I really want him playing.

Greenwood is a certainty in my eyes. Gomes will also make it if given a proper crack at it imo. Class tells and he has bags of it.

SteveW

He will be competing with these guys for a place. If the competition is fair he will win that battle imo so should have no fears about committing.

Raven

He's also an absolute pleasure to watch. From a selfish standpoint I really want him playing.

Greenwood is a certainty in my eyes. Gomes will also make it if given a proper crack at it imo. Class tells and he has bags of it.
Yeah, I haven't been this optimistic since Pogba and Ravel (:().

Bestietom

Seen him play with youths and he shone like a bright star. He can be our Messi, this lad.
Angel "Messi" Gomes, sounds nice

Fer

I understand if Gomes wants to leave, he just wants to play. My point is that Lingard, Mata, and Pereira could take gaming time for Gomes (like last season). There are less opportunities for him in that scenario. Even more if we sign Fernandes.

Let say that we sell De Gea and we buy another GK, maybe Henderson would be less optimistic about continue playing for us. IMO it would be like sending the wrong message.

If players like De Ligt, Sancho, etc are regularly playing in the 1st team of their clubs, I think Gomes could do the same for us or at least as squad player to rotate in our attack.

Let's hope he decides to sign a new contract with us.

Bestietom

Lets hope he gets game time and proves himself and becomes a regular. This little diamond is going far.

Ace of Spades

His technical ability has never been in question, he is one of the most naturally talented players from our academy. The concern has always been about his physicality. Comparing him with Pogba is pointless, as Pogba was physically ready already at 18. That does not mean that everyone is. He is being eased in, and I am sure Ole will play him as Gomes shows that he is comfortable handling the physical aspect of the game.

NWRed

It will take Gomes time to adjust to first team football, but if we're patient with him we'll have a world class homegrown superstar (along with Greenwood). Today was only a pre season friendly against low quality opposition, but his talent level compared to other first team players is obvious. He will get knocked off the ball and teams will try to bully him/kick him out of games, but he'll benefit from it. It's time for him to make the step up, if we don't, I think we'll regret it and end up losing him.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He's the main reason I didn't want Mata to renew. He has all the talent, what is the point of keeping Mata through a rebuild when we have a young player waiting for a chance in the same mould with potentially even more ability. Will be really sad if he does leave on a free, deserves a chance!

Coops73

I was really impressed with him, not sure out wide is his best position from what I’ve seen from him today and the few clips I’ve seen in the youth side but I like him a lot and I really hope he gets a few games this season.

mattsville

Busy, tidy and confident, silky on the ball he offers creativity and penetration, got a few strikes in too, great little player, keep him around he can get games in here and do job for us rather than go on loan.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I was really impressed with him, not sure out wide is his best position from what I’ve seen from him today and the few clips I’ve seen in the youth side but I like him a lot and I really hope he gets a few games this season.
He wasn't really outwide though, he was dribbling cutting in and linking the play.

His best position is on the pitch, would be a travesty to lose him on a free.

R'hllor

Hope we extend his contract, if so, he should get plenty of playtime, some are really weird when it comes to his height, everywhere else they can play but not in United, weird.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He will be competing with these guys for a place. If the competition is fair he will win that battle imo so should have no fears about committing.
I think he needs to be offered a new contract asap, and I'm wondering if we haven't signed Bruno Fernandes yet because Ole wants to see if Angel can step up to the physicality of the EPL and save the club a fortune. Mata will get less games over the next 2 seasons, and I'm still yet to see Andreas be outstanding in matches, although I think he is an extremely talented lad, he may do better in a foreign league. Would love to see Angel become an established member of the first team squad. It will be interesting to see him against the tougher proposition in Leeds.

In Rainbows

He can easily be a midfielder next to Pogba. Or he can play as a 10. He's very similar to Pogba in that regard except I feel that he would be satisfied being the main distributor where as Pogba is more reluctant to play that as he wants to get forward.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Competition isn't fair though, nothing in life is fair. He has no reason to sign a contract and rightly so he hasn't signed one. If the competition is fair then he'll sign a contract when he's been given his fair share of playing time. There have been no signs of anything being 'fair' yet though and he clearly hasn't been happy with the play time given to him.

I think he needs to be offered a new contract asap, and I'm wondering if we haven't signed Bruno Fernandes yet because Ole wants to see if Angel can step up to the physicality of the EPL and save the club a fortune. Mata will get less games over the next 2 seasons, and I'm still yet to see Andreas be outstanding in matches, although I think he is an extremely talented lad, he may do better in a foreign league. Would love to see Angel become an established member of the first team squad.
Offering a contract asap won't do anything because he won't sign it. We need to play him asap so he actually wants to sign a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.