Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Competition isn't fair though, nothing in life is fair. He has no reason to sign a contract and rightly so he hasn't signed one. If the competition is fair then he'll sign a contract when he's been given his fair share of playing time. There have been no signs of anything being 'fair' yet though and he clearly hasn't been happy with the play time given to him.

Offering a contract asap won't do anything because he won't sign it. We need to play him asap so he actually wants to sign a contract.
He’s 18 years old and absolutely tiny. Hopefully he’ll get more games this season but it seems very premature to be implying his lack of first team minutes so far isn’t “fair”.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’s 18 years old and absolutely tiny. Hopefully he’ll get more games this season but it seems very premature to be implying his lack of first team minutes so far isn’t “fair”.
I don't need to imply anything, Angel has implied it himself. He hasn't signed a contract and the talk from those close to his camp is he hasn't been happy.

His size one again is near enough irrelevant. Actually watch him play and stop worrying about his height on wikipedia. He has played against full grown adults all season and hasn't once been hampered due to his size. In fact he's made dirty hard mans like Charlie Adam look like absolute mugs while also physically muscling them off the ball.

Mickson

I don't need to imply anything, Angel has implied it himself. He hasn't signed a contract and the talk from those close to his camp is he hasn't been happy.

His size one again is near enough irrelevant. Actually watch him play and stop worrying about his height on wikipedia. He has played against full grown adults all season and hasn't once been hampered due to his size. In fact he's made dirty hard mans like Charlie Adam look like absolute mugs while also physically muscling them off the ball.
That's the weird thing. If you look at Angel today and compare him to Mata, I think it's clear to see that he is a) much more aggressive and b) stronger in the tackle. He is also much quicker and can get away from defenders in that aspect.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I have watched him play and I don’t care what wikipedias says about his height. He’s tiny, so you would expect him to take a bit longer than bigger, stronger kids to get first team minutes. Size isn’t irrelevant. That’s a a stupid thing to say in any contact sport. We’ve already seen this for the reserves, where he took quite a while to adjust to the step up from our U18s to playing against fully grown adults (although, to be fair, he got there in the end)

As I said, this will be a big season for him. Hopefully this is when he really establishes himself as capable of mixing it with top flight senior pros, despite being unusually small for a professional footballer. Time will tell but, by all accounts, he made a good impression today. So onwards and upwards from here hopefully.

prin

This guy is top draw, Barcelona would love him, size not an issue as football is virtually none contact anyway, I thought he was best of the young crop today, just needs to play

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Given that our number 10s are Lingard, Andreas and Mata he should get game time there if we don't sign anyone else.

He's not a left winger.
Maybe with Ole in charge but I wouldn't be so sure. Mata has been here for 5 and a half seasons and he's barely played as a 10.

Walters_19_MuFc

I like him. I like him a lot. Moves so smoothly with the ball and seems to be very good in tight spaces.

I don't mind him in wide areas. In a 4231, you effectively have three attacking midfielders, who all interchange and find spaces in between the lines. That's what was happening today with Mata, Gomes and Greenwood.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He’s a lovely player, wish we’d just chuck him in tbh. What are we in danger of, finishing 7th instead of 6th?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He will always look great if no one touches him. The moment the opposition actually get on him he’s going to crumble. Way too small.

Raven

Could he be our Bernardo Silva?
Pretty much the exact type of player he is.
He will always look great if no one touches him. The moment the opposition actually get on him he’s going to crumble. Way too small.
That's nonsense. He's got that low centre of gravity and a surprising amount of strength, with great acceleration. He'll be a nightmare for most defenders.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pretty much the exact type of player he is.

That's nonsense. He's got that low centre of gravity and a surprising amount of strength, with great acceleration. He'll be a nightmare for most defenders.
Hope so. Look forward to see him amongst big boys that press him. Not convinced his technical ability overcomes his physical limitations right now

SteveW

I think he needs to be offered a new contract asap, and I'm wondering if we haven't signed Bruno Fernandes yet because Ole wants to see if Angel can step up to the physicality of the EPL and save the club a fortune. Mata will get less games over the next 2 seasons, and I'm still yet to see Andreas be outstanding in matches, although I think he is an extremely talented lad, he may do better in a foreign league. Would love to see Angel become an established member of the first team squad. It will be interesting to see him against the tougher proposition in Leeds.
I'd be extremely pissed off if we lost Gomes to give Andreas games. I dont agree that he's extremely talented at all.

Raven

Hope so. Look forward to see him amongst big boys that press him. Not convinced his technical ability overcomes his physical limitations right now
His physicality is only a minor worry as far as I'm concerned, I think he looks every bit as ready for the first team as Greenwood.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His technical ability in close quarters is quite simply outstanding. I know the opposition were dreadful, but he still displayed tremendous heart and desire for the ball which was very good to see against a physical outfit.

I don't see why he can't play ahead of Mata or Lingard right now. I'd even say he's physically more ready than Mata and has good acceleration to boot.

I can see him playing as the #8 or the #10. Will be interesting to see how he fares against the likes of Leeds, Spurs and the two Milan clubs.

sherrinford

Depends on how sharp he is. There are constantly instances of ‘bigger’ players getting the piss taken out of them, physically, by small opponents in football.

kidbob

He can use his limitations to an advantage. People might not want to hear this but players like him can use their size to encourage fouls that someone like Fellaini can never get. It used to drive me mad watching Iniesta draw 'fouls' but the refs always bought it. Learn to do this and it encourages less contact when defenders know they can get away with less against him and that opens up his ability to shine. It's not 'diving' per se, it's using your size to your advantage the same way that someone like Fellaini does. If this was the 90s I'd worry about him but in the current day he has the talent and protection from refs to be a top player.

Robbo*

His technical ability in close quarters is quite simply outstanding. I know the opposition were dreadful, but he still displayed tremendous heart and desire for the ball which was very good to see against a physical outfit.

I don't see why he can't play ahead of Mata or Lingard right now. I'd even say he's physically more ready than Mata and has good acceleration to boot.

I can see him playing as the #8 or the #10. Will be interesting to see how he fares against the likes of Leeds, Spurs and the two Milan clubs.
A front six of McTominay, Gomes, Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood would be exciting if nothing else..

Coops73

He wasn't really outwide though, he was dribbling cutting in and linking the play.

His best position is on the pitch, would be a travesty to lose him on a free.
Looked to me he was playing out wide on the left, yes he drifted in at times, where to me he was more effective but it appeared to me that that was his starting position.

pascell

Classy little showing today, think he'll get plenty of games this season, especially if we give the opening rounds to the youngsters on tour to develop.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A front six of McTominay, Gomes, Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood would be exciting if nothing else..
We all watch football to be entertained and seeing a player with such technique on the ball like Gomes is what I assume most like to see. It would be criminal if he isn't given a fair chance IMO. His lack of height has been a worry even for myself in the past. But if Mata can excell in the EPL and overcome his lack of physicality, then I firmly believe Gomes can too.

City won the league and have the smallest team in the league. Bernardo Silva was magnificent in them doing so and he's a little dude too. I think the physicality bit is often overplayed in the EPL when there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We all watch football to be entertained and seeing a player with such technique on the ball like Gomes is what I assume most like to see. It would be criminal if he isn't given a fair chance IMO. His lack of height has been a worry even for myself in the past. But if Mata can excell in the EPL and overcome his lack of physicality, then I firmly believe Gomes can too.

City won the league and have the smallest team in the league. Bernardo Silva was magnificent in them doing so and he's a little dude too. I think the physicality bit is often overplayed in the EPL when there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.
Bernardo Silva is indeed a little dude but (according to wikipedia) he's still five inches taller than Gomes. That's the same difference as between Silva and Cristiano Ronaldo or Jordan Pickford.

Point being that even in a world where small players can overcome their lack of physicality, Gomes is very small. I would be very surprised if he was able to quickly adjust to PL football.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Incredible talent and has to be in the match day squad this season. I'd consider starting him if we dont bring in Bruno or whoever else.

macheda14

Bernardo Silva is indeed a little dude but (according to wikipedia) he's still five inches taller than Gomes. That's the same difference as between Silva and Cristiano Ronaldo or Jordan Pickford.

Point being that even in a world where small players can overcome their lack of physicality, Gomes is very small. I would be very surprised if he was able to quickly adjust to PL football.
Bernardo Silva is 5’8” Angel Gomes is 5’6”. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s only two inches
EDIT: ok there seem to be conflicting reports of his height on the Internet. Some say 168cm some day 161

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bernardo Silva is 5’8” Angel Gomes is 5’6”. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s only two inches
Oh is he 5'6"? According to wikipedia, ESPN, whoscored and the Premier League's website he's 5'3".

In Rainbows

Gomes is clearly around 5'5" or 5'6" when you look at photos. People seem to think he's 3 inches shorter than he really is.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think it'd be great for him to be under Mata's wing for a lot of the season. Physically he'll have the same issues, but he can learn a lot from him to deal with it, while I think Gomes has more natural explosiveness and is a bit more aggressive than Mata which will help him. Would be criminal to not give him chances though, loads of talent. His play style is also very possession oriented while being very creative, so being the most advanced of a midfield 3 could suit him perfectly and really help in terms of dominating possession.

Like a future team of:

Martial Rashford Greenwood
Gomes Pogba
McTominay/Longstaff
Shaw Lindelof Maguire Wan Bissaka
De Gea/Henderson​

Maybe a bit too idealistic/dreaming and hoping everyone works out, but assuming players stay at the club and progress, style wise, it looks very well balanced.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
5/6 from the academy too, wouldn't be too shabby at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would love to see him play centre midfield alongside Pogba. He offers the sort of modernisation that we, and the England national team, need in midfield.

Gapingrocket

Wierd debate about height on here, is there not a middle ground ?

His height/athleticism isn’t irrelevant it’s clear that someone with his ball skills/ability that was stronger/quicker/taller would have had more opportunities than he has.(would be a top tier talent aswell)

At the same time, he is a wonderfully gifted footballer so there is no reason he can’t forge a very successful career here. We just have to be patient with him given his situation, there is nothing wrong with that.

Also think Gomes is almost unloanable in England, can’t see many championship managers taking a chance on this type of player at his age. Maybe Holland would be the best option. Whatever happens hopefully he is patient and stays with the first team this year to continue his development.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Class player, dont think his height is an issue. Feel his game translates well to moving up in levels.

JawZ

The player I want to see succeed here the most. I really hope he makes it here long term. Good luck Gomes!

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
People keep asking if he could become our Bernardo Silva. One of the best and most gifted midfielders in the world. That might be a nice target and a good model for him.

But lets not forget, Silva was one year older when he started getting minutes for a weaker team in a weaker league. He was patient and managed carefully.

Gordon S

Is his size that much of a problem really? Has he been pushed of the ball a lot when he has played for the first team?
If anything it seems to be more of a problem for his oppos because they are struggling to catch him.

He seems to be quicker and has perhaps even better close control than Mata, who gets ragdolled from time to time.

I wish we had better players keeping him out of the team but it doesn't feel like we have that now. He should start games for us this season.

Bestietom

Gomes height..1.68m
Messi height....1.70m
There are many others who were small but went on to be great players.
Sammy Lee was only 1.57 ....5'1"

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Saw no hint of this in his first team mins

The Siege

I don't understand people being stuck up on him being 'small'. He has enough upper body strength to cut it with the big guns, and if he's clever, he'll never even need to use it. He's 18, and the odds of him becoming much taller aren't great, so are we just never going to play him? Did these dinosaurs just not live through the era of Xavi and Messi?

Status
Not open for further replies.