5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamsk7

I think Ole is 100% correct with his line up and not including him in this game. There are two people making their competitive Utd debut today, both part of a new look back four, we’re playing a rival and he’s got Greenwood and Tuanzebe in the bench.

it’s game one. Plenty of time to get him in the team and I’m sure that him, Greenwood and Chong will start cup games and take turns on the bench and in the team depending on the opposition and injuries.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Some real embarrassing opinions in here.

First game of the season, he was never playing a major part today.

-Supreme-

Ole has picked 2 young kids ahead of some senior players so I don't know what people were expecting?

Gomes will be given plenty of chances as this season progresses if you look at our bench today

Dyslexic Untied

People need to chill a bit with Gomes. We have management that wants to play youth but still from some here you get the impression that he is mysteriously held back. When the time is right and he is ready he will play.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
You only want so many unknowns in any match, let alone a six-pointer on the opening day of the season.

Maguire and Wan-Bissaka are both new players signed to immediately improve the first team - but this was still their first competitive match with United and no guarantees as to how they would settle.
James and Greenwood, also making their debuts, only got minutes when the match was safe at 3-0 and 4-0 respectively.
We played the youngest first eleven of any PL team this weekend.

Gomes has only played four games for the first team. He'll probably get time before the month's out against Wolves, Palace or Southampton, and likely more than one of them.

parkthebuslads

I think he could be important against teams who sit deep, we don't have a particularly creative side.

Dante

Average bang
He's 18 years old and the size of five footlong Subway sandwiches. He was never going to play today.

In Rainbows

He's 18 years old and the size of five footlong Subway sandwiches. He was never going to play today.
His size really doesn't negatively affect him. He's not that kind of player.

I am in agreement with the rest that there is no point in getting frustrated over him not playing today. He was never going to play today. It's 1 game regardless and that should be assessed over a longer period of time.

Dante

Average bang
His size really doesn't negatively affect him. He's not that kind of player.

I am in agreement with the rest that there is no point in getting frustrated over him not playing today. He was never going to play today. It's 1 game regardless and that should be assessed over a longer period of time.
Size affects every player. Football is a contact sport.

Brightonian

One poster freaks out because Gomes doesn't play. Thirty posters tell 'everyone' to stop freaking out about the fact he didn't play.

Never change, Caf.

I would say, anyone using his size as a reason for us not to play him yet... he's not getting any bigger. He might put a bit of muscle weight on over time but he's not underdeveloped. His frame looks more mature than Rashford's did at the same age. He's just a very small man, and always will be. But as plenty have said, it doesn't really hold him back. His low centre of gravity gives him surprising strength on the ball. His pace isn't anything special but he's got plenty of acceleration to take him past a man on the turn. He showed against Rotherham that he can handle the most physical of games against grown men.

There's no rush to play him, as everyone has said. But I'm really looking forward to his first appearance this season. Something has clicked, and I think he's ready. He's a special, special talent.

In Rainbows

Size affects every player. Football is a contact sport.
Ok, now how do you apply that to Gomes? How do you apply that to Scholes? They both play in a way where their size shouldn't be a concern. I mean, we've seen him playing against adults all summer if you need actual evidence apart from the hypothetical.

Dante

Average bang
Ok, now how do you apply that to Gomes? How do you apply that to Scholes? They both play in a way where their size shouldn't be a concern. I mean, we've seen him playing against adults all summer if you need actual evidence apart from the hypothetical.
He's a small 18 year old. It's his strength that's the issue.

He'll eventually fill out like Scholes did. But like Scholes, he probably won't be big enough to be a regular until his twenties. Or maybe like Lingard, he won't fill out sufficiently for the senior game until he's 23. Or maybe like Kagawa, it'll never happen to an extent where he can hold his own in the PL. Whatever the case, if you're small, it takes longer because of the muscular growth that's required to compensate for the lack of mass due to your height.

Scholes made 0 appearances as a teenager, and only established himself with 17 league games as a 21 year old.

Preseason means nothing. Chris Eagles would be a United legend if it did.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He'll eventually fill out like Scholes did. But like Scholes, he probably won't be big enough to be a regular until his twenties. Or maybe like Lingard, he won't fill out sufficiently for the senior game until he's 23. Or maybe like Kagawa, it'll never happen to an extent where he can hold his own in the PL. Whatever the case, if you're small, it takes longer because of the muscular growth that's required to compensate for the lack of mass due to your height.

Scholes made 0 appearances as a teenager, and only established himself with 17 league games as a 21 year old.

That’s true but I’m worried that teenage footballers are more impatient and more likely to look to move away for first team football.

I hope he doesn’t, but we need him tied down to a new contract pronto! Hopefully some game time will help convince him

Jacob

Never seen such hype about a player. Have yet to see what the fuss is about. I'm sceptical for the same reason I dislike Mata. Let's hope he lives up to an ounce of your hype.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Or actually watch him and it isn't an issue.

Raven

Never seen such hype about a player. Have yet to see what the fuss is about. I'm sceptical for the same reason I dislike Mata. Let's hope he lives up to an ounce of your hype.
I think he's closer to David Silva than he is to Mata, although I'm a big Mata fan as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Scholes was a striker coming through the ranks and had the likes of Hughes, Cantona and McClair infront of him which delayed his introduction to the first team IMO. I don't think it was physicality per say but he did suffer from Asthma too which didn't help.

Gomes in contrast has Mata, Lingard and Pereira infront of him currently who aren't exactly physically imposing at all. And they're nowhere near to the quality of players Scholes had infront of him. Some would even argue he's physically just as capable as the aforementioned players. The game against Championship outfit Rotherham in the EFL Cup was further evidence he can handle the physicality.

We can argue all day/night about this. But until he's given a opportunity in the first team we'll never know. And I for one believe he deserves a chance ahead of Mata, Lingard and Pereira on merit.

In Rainbows

All you're doing is just using a general view and applying it to Gomes without taking into account his playstyle. For example, I can tell you why size matters when it comes to Chong. Chong is a player that likes to go past players and is confronted with more shoulder to shoulders. This can lead to not being able to dribble past stronger players. If you're a striker you're also going to be battling with stronger CBs in order to win headers, when playing with your back to the goal, etc...

Gomes does not play in that manner so that's why I don't think it's an issue. It didn't affect him in preseason when going up against men. He just played against relegated Championship side Rotherham and it didn't affect him. I actually think it works in his favor as it helps him win more fouls when someone barges him from behind.

Kag

Strength isn’t an issue. In the same way that it isn’t an issue for Hazard, Sterling or Aguero.

You’re looking at his body and concluding that he mustn’t have any sort of physical strength. He does. He’s stronger on the ball than both Greenwood and Chong, for example. He’s stronger on the ball than Pereira, too, and he started for us yesterday.

And don’t confuse this for me thinking he should have been involved yesterday. I don’t necessarily think that.

R'hllor

He might not see a minute of this season until he signs a new contract, hope i am wrong and hope he doesnt do "Pogba".

dabeast

There is no one, repeat no one, at United bar maybe Pogba (maybe) whose ceiling is as high as Angel Gomes. He, because he is small, has had to learn to detect and find space with fine control that bigger athletes never have to. Increased protection from refs is the reason why small players like Messi have thrived in this era and VAR will increase that further.

I understand why he wasn't played in the season opener against a tough top-6 opponent. However, next week, he is perfect to play as a No 10 in a 4-2-3-1 to replace the utter absence of invention we displayed at Wolves twice last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Niall

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There is no one, repeat no one, at United bar maybe Pogba (maybe) whose ceiling is as high as Angel Gomes. He, because he is small, has had to learn to detect and find space with fine control that bigger athletes never have to. Increased protection from refs is the reason why small players like Messi have thrived in this era and VAR will increase that further.

I understand why he wasn't played in the season opener against a tough top-6 opponent. However, next week, he is perfect to play as a No 10 in a 4-2-3-1 to replace the utter absence of invention we displayed at Wolves twice last season.
Here's hoping the penny drops soon and he's given a opportunity in a area of the pitch that we're crying out for craft and guile that he could potentially provide.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He might not see a minute of this season until he signs a new contract, hope i am wrong and hope he doesnt do "Pogba".
Manchester is his home, he doesn't have Raiola as his agent (that I know if) I'd be very surprised if he doesn't sign a new deal soon. I imagine he just wants proof that he will start playing more games this year.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We need to chill out a bit about the whole contract situation. Yes, he could "do a Pogba" but we've little-to-no indication he's considering an exit, we have no idea what sort of contract we've put on the table, for all we know it may already be agreed in principal (or we may not have even offered one yet, which would be careless but not the end of the world), and we're one game into the new season.

He'll get his opportunities, we just need to have patience. He's a United fan from Manchester who's spent his entire youth career here, we just need to relax.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We need to chill out a bit about the whole contract situation. Yes, he could "do a Pogba" but we've little-to-no indication he's considering an exit, we have no idea what sort of contract we've put on the table, for all we know it may already be agreed in principal (or we may not have even offered one yet, which would be careless but not the end of the world), and we're one game into the new season.

He'll get his opportunities, we just need to have patience. He's a United fan from Manchester who's spent his entire youth career here, we just need to relax.
We're 4 months away from him being able to negotiate a pre-contract with foreign clubs. It's going to get tougher and tougher to get him to sign, as if he's looking after his own interests he may as well consider what else is being offered to him in January.

It's up to the club to show him this is the best place for him now.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We're 4 months away from him being able to negotiate a pre-contract with foreign clubs. It's going to get tougher and tougher to get him to sign, as if he's looking after his own interests he may as well consider what else is being offered to him in January.

It's up to the club to show him this is the best place for him now.
Think he has a contract until next Dec.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Wolves away is not a good match to ease him in. Palace at home would be more perfect.

Dave_MUFC

Really? That's strange don't think I've seen a contract in the UK end away from start of July.
Assume he means that Angel can start negotiating Bosman contracts from end of December, when he has 6 months left on his contract.

Red_toad

He’s completely different to Pogba, he’s a local lad who’s nuts about the club. Where as Pogba has a lot of history of jumping ship in search of whatever it is he’s looking for.
So he won’t be doing a Pogba, whatever that is.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He's more likely to do 'a Sancho' rather than 'a Pogba' IMO.

ash_86

Days of English talent rotting in England are over. Sancho is a prime example of that. If Ole does not start him atleast sporadically then he'll be gone. Loyalty only works when there is skin in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.