5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

I wish he got a game first week but its hard to be upset that a youth talent isnt used when we had the youngest lineup of any of the premier league teams last weekend.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wish he got a game first week but its hard to be upset that a youth talent isnt used when we had the youngest lineup of any of the premier league teams last weekend.
I don't think he'll play until Palace at home, unless we're cruising at Wolves which is unlikely.

Handré1990

Which ship did he jump from ?
I was totally joking. I have no idea what he meant by that.

Maybe he’s counting the first time he came to us as jumping ship, to develop in one of the best teams in that era, or when he left to get playing time at Juventus to further his development. In which case, the expression loses it’s meaning.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rashy has spoken

"For me, it’s no surprise to see the progress Axel has made," Rashford told United Review. "I’ve been playing with Axel since we were kids and I remember, at about 16 or 17, he was the toughest one-v-one defender that I’d ever trained or played against. I’ve always expected this from him. It’s funny how things work out, but now’s his time."

Tahith Chong, 19, and Angel Gomes, 18, are two other players United have high hopes for and Rashford outlined their key strengths.

"Chongy is a very exciting player when he’s on the ball," Rashford added. "For me, you just want him to express himself more because I’ve seen him play in the Under-18s and he’ll run at a defender all day long and give them a hard time for 90 minutes.

"When he’s come to the first team... you all saw the game against Inter Milan, when he was just up and at them for the time he was on the pitch. That’s what you want to see.

"Angel is another one who’s been known in United’s system as one of the top players for many years. It’s probably taken him a bit more time than he expected – he’s smaller than pretty much all the players he plays against, but he’s a clever kid so he can manipulate his body to get in good positions, without necessarily using the physical side of the game.

"He’s a very clever player and you just want those players to keep developing and, the way to do that, is to get game time."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think he'll play until Palace at home, unless we're cruising at Wolves which is unlikely.
It's very early in the season. It sucks the bench has to be so small as we're leaving out internationals like Fred also!

I think Palace could be a great game for him to play, it's just before the Europa league starts too.

Red_toad

A history of what now ?
Le Harve to United to Juventus to United to......

Angel has been with United for a decade and loves the club. Every single contract he’s signed has had massive speculation. Lad has not uttered one single word about leaving. Where Pogba it’s a regular occurrence.

ASHWIT

That’s true but I’m worried that teenage footballers are more impatient and more likely to look to move away for first team football.

I hope he doesn’t, but we need him tied down to a new contract pronto! Hopefully some game time will help convince him
Give him 20 mins a the end of a game we are comfortable in, against a tough, strong midfield who wont give in just because they're losing. He'll either flourish and prove he's ready or get knocked about a bit and lose his "impatience".

SAFMUTD

Can he go for free if we don’t renew his contract? I thought players under 20 can’t be free agents, but got it from playing Fifa so not really sure.

Raven

Can he go for free if we don’t renew his contract? I thought players under 20 can’t be free agents, but got it from playing Fifa so not really sure.
We'd be entitled to compensation for development costs. I don't think it's particularly important because I strongly believe that he will be involved heavily this season between all the cups and his talent and ability. I have high hopes that he'll force his way into the first team before the end of the season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Le Harve to United to Juventus to United to......

Angel has been with United for a decade and loves the club. Every single contract he’s signed has had massive speculation. Lad has not uttered one single word about leaving. Where Pogba it’s a regular occurrence.
You cannot hold Le Havre against him, he was a minor, his parents decided for him. The only moment that came close to jumping the ship was from United to Juventus and then again it is a massively stupid stretch.
From Juve to United, the italians wanted to sell him because the transfer fee was just too good to refuse. He didn't pout, didn't sulk, didn't go on strike. Clubs came to an agreement is all.
It really feels like rewriting history with Pogba.

I was totally joking. I have no idea what he meant by that.

Maybe he’s counting the first time he came to us as jumping ship, to develop in one of the best teams in that era, or when he left to get playing time at Juventus to further his development. In which case, the expression loses it’s meaning.
No worries. I just don't understand the point of villifying certain players.
Blaming a kid to leave Le Havre to United when his parents made the decision.

Red_toad

You cannot hold Le Havre against him, he was a minor, his parents decided for him. The only moment that came close to jumping the ship was from United to Juventus and then again it is a massively stupid stretch.
From Juve to United, the italians wanted to sell him because the transfer fee was just too good to refuse. He didn't pout, didn't sulk, didn't go on strike. Clubs came to an agreement is all.
It really feels like rewriting history with Pogba.
It’s the truth not a rewritten history. Unless you have conclusive proof they didn’t happen :confused:

SAFMUTD

We'd be entitled to compensation for development costs. I don't think it's particularly important because I strongly believe that he will be involved heavily this season between all the cups and his talent and ability. I have high hopes that he'll force his way into the first team before the end of the season.
Thanks!

I hope he gets playing time and we renew him before december, he seems a real talent and we may very well lose him to a Bundesliga team if he thinks he won't get chances here. With the midfield being so thin he must have oportunities soon.

We need an rvn

He's a real talent and hope he stays. Being a short stack myself I have such sympathy for short talented players who just get out-muscled at teenage years and aren't given a chance.

Hopefully he can see what's happening under Ole (supposedly) and he's given the chance to play. He's only about to turn 19 he needs to look at history and how many players at United are starting XI players at that age, but compared to other teams in top leagues are given a damn good chance to prove themselves here

SteveW

No worries. I just don't understand the point of villifying certain players.
Blaming a kid to leave Le Havre to United when his parents made the decision.
Why do people expect him to have stayed at Le Harve anyway? The top kids of that age are always being snapped up by the big clubs.

Rish Sawhney

The bigger issue is the guy conflating switching clubs with "jumping ship". Changing jobs or clubs is not jumping ship. Jumping ship implies leaving a bad situation to get worse in order to save yourself from it. Juve weren't a sinking ship, and neither were United when Pogba left both, so it really doesn't apply at all.

mattsville

He will play a good number of games I would imagine, he impressed a lot on tour although did not get as many minutes as the other youngsters, but his performance against rotherham was outstanding, it was "only" rotherham but they are a bunch of physical more experienced players and even though he was getting hacked here and there he kept getting on with it and produced some beautiful attacking midfield play, you can defo see it coming in handy against packed defences, he can operate with great technique in the tightest of pockets and he is so unpredictable to defend against, he seems very motivated and has upped his game a level so I don't think there is any issue with him.

Raven

Thanks!

I hope he gets playing time and we renew him before december, he seems a real talent and we may very well lose him to a Bundesliga team if he thinks he won't get chances here. With the midfield being so thin he must have oportunities soon.
I was the same until Sunday, seeing Ole's lineup gave me confidence that he will be willing to play the kids this year.

kouroux

Why do people expect him to have stayed at Le Harve anyway? The top kids of that age are always being snapped up by the big clubs.
I have no idea. I am confused

The bigger issue is the guy conflating switching clubs with "jumping ship". Changing jobs or clubs is not jumping ship. Jumping ship implies leaving a bad situation to get worse in order to save yourself from it. Juve weren't a sinking ship, and neither were United when Pogba left both, so it really doesn't apply at all.
Exactly. You explained it much better than me

Red_toad

Saying he jumped ship at Le Havre is fiction. Like a kid that age would take that decision by himself. That's blaming a minor, that's crazy for me
He was 16 not 12, and I’m pretty certain he’d have had his say, not forced into it. And yes he jumped ship, just like he did when he went to Juve and now he’s trying to get out of United.
But anyways enough Pogba. Angel isn’t leaving and he’ll get 20 games this season...

kouroux

He was 16 not 12, and I’m pretty certain he’d have had his say, not forced into it. And yes he jumped ship, just like he did when he went to Juve and now he’s trying to get out of United.
But anyways enough Pogba. Angel isn’t leaving and he’ll get 20 games this season...
16 is still a kid :lol: He only listened to his parents who were managing closely his career. According to you he jumped ship this early, so he should have stayed and maybe miss out on a lifetime opportunity ?
Basically you know nothing and just assume things

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
16 is still a kid :lol: He only listened to his parents who were managing closely his career. According to you he jumped ship this early, so he should have stayed and maybe miss out on a lifetime opportunity ?
Basically you know nothing and just assume things
Surprising that two clubs before le havre isn't mentioned.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
A long history of jumping ship, started in kindergarten
Should have done some background check before signing this mercenary.

Seriously though, some of the criticism is just hilarious.

Mark Pawelek

Never seen such hype about a player. Have yet to see what the fuss is about. I'm sceptical for the same reason I dislike Mata. Let's hope he lives up to an ounce of your hype.
Angel has a better defensive game than Mata, and looks faster.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So it seems Gomes is pretty much the same size as Dan James, think the "he's too small" factor is now out the window.

Gordon S

Angel has a better defensive game than Mata, and looks faster.
Yep, the only thing they have in common is that they are short. Getting somewhat tiresome to see people have doubts in him because of what they don’t like with Mata.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I wonder if we'll ever see him through the middle.

Ole seemed content to play him out wide in pre-season and then obviously he wasn't included against Chelsea.

As for being too small, both Silvas at City and Mata at Chelsea proved the fallacy of small players not making it in the Prem. If Gomes is good enough, he's big enough. Great technique and maneuverability/agility/composure in small spaces would be wonderful additions to our squad.

SteveW

Can't wait until his time comes. I can see him quickly becoming a hugely popular player with football supporters in general. Everyone loves a high class midget baller. Zola, Juninho etc

SteveW

I wonder if we'll ever see him through the middle.

Ole seemed content to play him out wide in pre-season and then obviously he wasn't included against Chelsea.

As for being too small, both Silvas at City and Mata at Chelsea proved the fallacy of small players not making it in the Prem. If Gomes is good enough, he's big enough. Great technique and maneuverability/agility/composure in small spaces would be wonderful additions to our squad.
Eventually. That's his best position and he's better than our other options there.

I do fear in the short term Ole will shunt him wide. I think he's still in the process of realising that he can handle senior football.

rotherham_red

It's a long season and we have a small squad. Patience from the fans is what is required IMO. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't make an appearance until the EL group stages, but that's absolutely fine.

The people gnashing their teeth over him not playing the Chelsea game were hysterical.

deleon

What would be a good number of league games for him this season? 5 starts plus sub appearances?

Is that optimistic, or even enough to convince him to commit his future?

Personally, I'd like to see one of the front three/four positions to be always reserved for one of Gomes, Greenwood, James and Chong (except perhaps when we play the top-six). That's about seven games each - maybe less for Chong because I don't think he offers enough at this level yet - plus the cup games.

SirAF

Ageist
What would be a good number of league games for him this season? 5 starts plus sub appearances?

Is that optimistic, or even enough to convince him to commit his future?

Personally, I'd like to see one of the front three/four positions to be always reserved for one of Gomes, Greenwood, James and Chong (except perhaps when we play the top-six). That's about seven games each - maybe less for Chong because I don't think he offers enough at this level yet - plus the cup games.
5 starts would be very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.