Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No issue with his height imo. Verratti is 165cm. And if you got 2 giants like Mctominay & Pogba next to him to win headers in midfield why is it bad for the team? No problem.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
His technical touch, dribbling and passing is amazing. There's a reason why Barca have tried snatching him.

We better play him or we run the risk of another Pogba episode. Needs an extension asap.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Feck me. It’s like people aren’t bothering to read. I’m not saying he’s too small to be a professional footballer, just that being small/lightweight means he might take a year or two longer to establish himself as a senior pro than bigger/stronger players.

Hoof the ball

Feck me. It’s like people aren’t bothering to read. I’m not saying he’s too small to be a professional footballer, just that being small/lightweight means he might take a year or two longer to establish himself as a senior pro than bigger/stronger players.
Of course, you need significant development minutes in the first team to establish one self in the first place.

Andersons Dietician

Messi, Iniesta, Silva, Zola, Maradonna, Xavi, Mata Juninho Hadji End of Heightgate.

Looked great and there were signs yesterday that the team are going to be playing a lot more shorter tighter passes with more movement about then and if that is the way we are heading then he’ll thrive in doing so. His touch, eye for a pass and dribbling were excellent yesterday. I saw someone write he almost stole the show yesterday and have to agree.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Most men are still growing at 18/19. I don't see the problem. Growing much taller could even negatively affect his game. He is fine.

BiggusCrickus

Gomes would struggle 5/10 years ago with the football style being played then. But the game has changed . Gomes will be fine and looks a much better player then Chong who looks non league at the moment

AJ10

As long as he doesn't get bullied with/without the ball then height shouldn't matter.

M16Red

Size means nothing in the game now, its about skill and this little guy has bucket loads. He's a number 10 and has the skill to open defences

M Bison

Supports
York City
Ole must have him earmarked for more game time this season, hence the approach to new CM signings (or lack of).

We’d be better off giving him a run along with Garner than pushing the button on some of those we’ve been linked with.

Raven

Ole must have him earmarked for more game time this season, hence the approach to new CM signings (or lack of).

We’d be better off giving him a run along with Garner than pushing the button on some of those we’ve been linked with.
I feel like Gomes could be the player our midfield needs within the next 2 years. He looks fantastic in attack, but Nick Butt says he likes him to play deeper and influence the game more from there. The boy is a natural and actually reminds me a little of Scholes, in that he just gets the game and nobody ever seems to get close to him.

Mickson

I feel like Gomes could be the player our midfield needs within the next 2 years. He looks fantastic in attack, but Nick Butt says he likes him to play deeper and influence the game more from there. The boy is a natural and actually reminds me a little of Scholes, in that he just gets the game and nobody ever seems to get close to him.
Oh people do get close to him because he likes to dribble. But it almost always ends up with a freekick for him!

Bestietom

His first touch and close control are excellent. His passing accuracy short and long is good also, and he knows where the goal is.

Smores

Blimey one preseason against Perth of all teams and suddenly some think we dont need midfield signings. Incredible

ArjenIsM3

Blimey one preseason against Perth of all teams and suddenly some think we dont need midfield signings. Incredible
Yeah there was one guy on here saying Tuanzebe was our best CB after 45 min against Perth too. They're both great prospects but come on..

Litch

He will be gone by the 2020 year it's almost a guarantee. Andreas given new contract underserved, Mata new contract and Lingard undeservedly is a starter.

How is it that Foden / Gomes were presumably at a similar level at youth ranking but with Foden competing with Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo and De Bryune he's managed to get more game time against Gomes with Andreas, Mata, Herrera and Fred ? This club has massively failed him.
Don't know whether he'd be gone but it's a worry as I can't see a clear pathway to the first team. Like you say, when you see the club offer Andreas and Mata new contracts, aren't they potentially playing where Gomes would be? It reminds me of the Pogs situation when we brought Scholes back and played Full backs in midfield. Gomes must look at how he's going to progress without the trust of playing him more and maybe his agent feels the same? Maybe when he leaves, it might cost us 100m to get him back.

tidraKS

He’ll struggle if he doesn’t add at least 5cm on his body. I liked what I saw yesterday, but he’s too tiny for the game. He makes Messi look tall.

Litch

He’ll struggle if he doesn’t add at least 5cm on his body. I liked what I saw yesterday, but he’s too tiny for the game. He makes Messi look tall.
I know I've got a load of stick for it but this is why I made the Scott comparison, clearly they are different players in different positions and you can have both, but as a club what culture of football and players do you want to create and cultivate. Scott's TALL and strong, gets around the picture and is combative, Gomes is SMALL slick, skilful and creative in his movement and passing. We give Andreas and Mata (neither are that big) contracts in the position he plays in yet we are planning to sell our best midfielder and run down the contract of another whilst equally letting another tall midfield player go for peanuts to China. Hmmmm......

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’s not that we don’t need midfield signings, it’s more that we shouldn’t panic and pay the sort of fees quoted for Longstaff and the like.

Mickson

Yeah there was one guy on here saying Tuanzebe was our best CB after 45 min against Perth too. They're both great prospects but come on..
If you talk about me then I have followed him since he was 16 but yeah, that statement was after 45 minutes against Perth :houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

Monks_United

Folks still on about his height ? He isnt 5'3''. Might have been that but not any more for sure. Check the videos from Perth. There is this one time when he is walking alongside Dan James and looks about the same height. James is about 170 cm so Im guessing Gomes isnt far off from that. Also, if you want, just change the Wikipedia information on his height if thats such a bother

el3mel

Being short can help him with the low center of gravity though. As long as he's not challenging for headers I don't see the big problems ?

DoomSlayer

If Gomes can become a bit more explosive and gritty, he will be a top player. But we need to be playing front-foot attacking football to make him useful, he's not suited to just counter-attacking.

johanovic

What matters is his footballing ability, he seems to have a lot to offer and give me a player like him over a limited lumberjack like Fellaini everyday. I see him in a 3 man midfield where his low center of gravity, mobility and technigue should be difficult to match by the bigger units. Have not most of the best midfielders of recent time been on the small side in Xavi,Iniesta,Modric to name a few. I think Gomes is a gem and we must give him game time this season instead of losing him like City did with Sancho.

Stadjer

Sammy Lee was 5' 1" held his own against the big boys

Messi is 5' 5" and still destroyinget the big boys.
You can compare anyone to Messi. Messi is one of the most talented players of all time. Gomes might be talented but nowhere near Messi talented.

SteveW

Being short can help him with the low center of gravity though. As long as he's not challenging for headers I don't see the big problems ?
It's not so much about his height as that he's also quite slightly built. Aguero, Maradona, Messi, Bernardo Silva etc were/are strong enough to hold players off. He will need to use his body well to protect the ball and at least win free kicks when players start using their strength against him. And over time you'd hope he can fill out a bit.

He's such a classy and elusive little player though. I honestly think the positives will outweigh the benefits.

el3mel

It's not so much about his height as that he's also quite slightly built. Aguero, Maradona, Messi, Bernardo Silva etc were/are strong enough to hold players off. He will need to use his body well to protect the ball and at least win free kicks when players start using their strength against him. And over time you'd hope he can fill out a bit.

He's such a classy and elusive little player though. I honestly think the positives will outweigh the benefits.
Gonna complete 19 next month, so pretty much still a kid. I'm sure he will grow some muscles over the time.

Raven

https://mobile.twitter.com/agomes_47/status/1139980892800200704

It is something he's clearly working on,
I don't think it will be an issue in 2 years time. Until then, I'd be satisfied with 15 - 30 games a season for him. Too big a talent to let slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.