5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

Being short can be an advantage but he’d really need muscle mass in those legs to not be easily pushed. Being able to shield well enough actually earns shorter players more free kicks.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Messi, Iniesta, Silva, Zola, Maradonna, Xavi, Mata Juninho Hadji End of Heightgate.

Looked great and there were signs yesterday that the team are going to be playing a lot more shorter tighter passes with more movement about then and if that is the way we are heading then he’ll thrive in doing so. His touch, eye for a pass and dribbling were excellent yesterday. I saw someone write he almost stole the show yesterday and have to agree.
Let’s set this straight once and for all - especially for everyone that has not actually looked at his height.

He is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than everyone mentioned there. Look at those names. Think about their heights.... Gomes is yet a couple inches shorter

Andersons Dietician

Let’s set this straight once and for all - especially for everyone that has not actually looked at his height.

He is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than everyone mentioned there. Look at those names. Think about their heights.... Gomes is yet a couple inches shorter
Standing next to Mata he was barely shorter. Mata is 5ft 7. Is it possible Wikipedia has his height wrong because he looks significantly broader even than earlier last year. Pretty much all of the players listed as well are either 5 ft 6 or 5ft 7. Again heightgate over.

He seems faster and stronger and most of all is highly skilful. Would rather have that than a 6ft 2 lad with half of Gomes’s ability.

Crashoutcassius

Lads 5 3 is short and unusual for a player... get over it

Hopefully he gets minutes and we can stop discussing it though. Looks such an effective link man

NWRed

SO what? He wouldn't be in the side to mark VVD at corners, his height has no bearing on his ability to play the Scholes role in midfield, which is what he'll eventually do.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rio mate - awful evening that one
Despite Messi coming in behind Rio and O’Shea watching him ?? Rio has to be where he is, not sure where Vidic is but O’Shea can see the danger. Only needs to go with Messi.

The fact we had O’Shea playing in that game means we didn’t deserve to win.

In Rainbows

Seriously man, how did Scholes height help in any way? Would Scholes being 3 inches shorter somehow make him less effective? It's all about how you play. Nobody is saying that height doesn't matter, we're saying that it doesn't matter in the manner that Gomes plays his football.

And Gomes is not 5'3". He's clearly 5'5" or 5'6".

Ibi Dreams

Scholes was quite stocky despite being short. Gomes does look slight in comparison. But yes, I don't see why it should matter too much if he's got the same ability to sit in midfield and rarely have anyone get near him

izec

The boy will grow in muscles. Maybe he will grow a few centimeters as well. I dont think it will be an issue in a few years. His talent will shine and nobody will think about his lack of height. He needs to play though, hope Ole gives him game time.

Erics_Collar

Seriously man, how did Scholes height help in any way? Would Scholes being 3 inches shorter somehow make him less effective? It's all about how you play. Nobody is saying that height doesn't matter, we're saying that it doesn't matter in the manner that Gomes plays his football.

You're full of shít mate, that photo is clearly cropped to suit your agenda. Why don't you post the real, UNCROPPED version?

Last edited:

Raven

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it's a good video. Shows a lot of work from deeper in midfield as well, he looks pretty aggressive in the tackle as well.

macheda14

People saying he's 5'3 - his height on wikipedia is from when he played in the u17s TWO YEARS AGO.

EDIT: It seems to now have been updated to his real height of 5'6"

OleGunnar20

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it's a good video. Shows a lot of work from deeper in midfield as well, he looks pretty aggressive in the tackle as well.
Yep he's definitely got some bite to his game.

I think him and Greenwood should be given significant playing time this year, with Greenwood challenging for the RW role and Gomes backing up Pogba, and possibly filling in across the front three as and when needed.

By the way, does anybody know what's going on with his contract? Last I heard he was seemingly unwilling to sign due to the lack of minutes but I don't keep enough of a track on the youngsters to be up to date. I hope we get it locked down soon as he'll no doubt have clubs watching him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

/SPOILER]
Take your point that he's not 5'3 but why is to so hard to understand that if he actually was 5'3 would be a big concern. You would have to be one of the best footballers ever to have step foot on this planet to make it if you're under 5'5.

Scholes was a magician and yes if he was 3 inches shorter life would have been very tough for him. Other outfield players who are normally average would maul him down most likely.

knot_buzz

Let the kid play then judge him

Times have changed and so has football.

In Rainbows

Take your point that he's not 5'3 but why is to so hard to understand that if he actually was 5'3 would be a big concern. You would have to be one of the best footballers ever to have step foot on this planet to make it if you're under 5'5.

Scholes was a magician and yes if he was 3 inches shorter life would have been very tough for him. Other outfield players who are normally average would maul him down most likely.
Explain to me how it would negatively affect his game taking into account how he played. I have no problem understanding something if it's told to me. It's not enough to just say it just does.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tired of reading about his height. If he's talented let's give him chances and see whether he's hampered by it and how much. From his minutes here and there I haven't really seen him facing grave problems due to his height. I mean, he's a kid so he's going to have his struggles as it is. That's a given. But other options being better due to being taller - this should be reflected in the peformances rather than being taken for granted as being the case.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So about 3 pages about his height.
It's even more frustrating when there's so much more to say about him as a footballer yet we're still stuck in the same loop about his height.

Gordon S

I really like him as a cm. Quick feet, quick passing, creative, stellar first touch and is actually fairly strong in the tackle. Think he might have more to his game than most of our current cm’s.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's even more frustrating when there's so much more to say about him as a footballer yet we're still stuck in the same loop about his height.
Yeah, he looks so good with the ball at his feet and also his off the ball runs was very good. He can be very good addition to the team.

Hopefully we will see more of him in the preseason tour. If he can play regularly in Europa league then it's a good start. He can show he can play for first team with his performance in Europa league, like Kane did.

Crashoutcassius

Of he's 5 6 and not 5 3 ny more then that isn't even note worthy.

On another note, could any side in history of prem play a front 6 with as much academy talent as us today ? Pogba garner gomes rashford lingard Greenwood. I can't think of many. I think all 6 will play together at some point

kirk buttercup

What's height got to do with anything.
Messi
Maradona
Iniesta
Xavi
David Silva
Hagi
Stoichkov
To name a few short players that did alright

Bestietom

Have you went to specsavers lately. A couple of inches shorter. CM,s maybe and remember Sammy Lee was just 1.57m. Yes, 5' 1" and he held his own.
Gomes is the exact height that Juninho was when he was destroying the best of big players whilst playing for Middlesborough.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hope to see him play in central midfield with Pogba this pre-season.

Member 39557

Have you went to specsavers lately. A couple of inches shorter. CM,s maybe and remember Sammy Lee was just 1.57m. Yes, 5' 1" and he held his own.
Gomes is the exact height that Juninho was when he was destroying the best of big players whilst playing for Middlesborough.
It was a far more physical game back then too.

If you're good enough, you're tall enough. Same people obsessed with his height probably hold views about how British academies used to focus too much on physicality, rather than technical skill. :houllier:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To move this thread away from his height i will ask a question. What is his natural position and where will he play?
Left wing is full of options, he is not right winger as i know so no10 then? Backup for Pogba?
That is why i was against buying James because he will take minutes to Gomes and Greenwood

izec

To move this thread away from his height i will ask a question. What is his natural position and where will he play?
Left wing is full of options, he is not right winger as i know so no10 then? Backup for Pogba?
That is why i was against buying James because he will take minutes to Gomes and Greenwood
He will either play wherever Mata plays or long term make the transition to a central midfielder, like Verratti for example (that would be my dream to be fair). I assume he will play on the wing or as a no 10 for now.

His natural position is the 10, even if he played on the wing or in central midfield at times in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.