5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

But that's what you want to find out, no?

And if he can't get gametime against Astana at home, tell me why he should sign a new contract with us?
It's just been 5 games into the season. Ole cannot throw all the youngsters at once. it's not how it works. Gomes will get his chances and plenty too, he has to remain patient.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

And if he can't get gametime against Astana at home, tell me why he should sign a new contract with us?
I'd be more worried in February if he hasn't played. Not fecking September.

In Rainbows

It's just been 5 games into the season. Ole cannot throw all the youngsters at once. it's not how it works. Gomes will get his chances and plenty too, he has to remain patient.
It's Astana, who are away. Starting Gomes is hardly throwing all the youngsters in at once.

FerociousCorgis

It's Astana, who are away. Starting Gomes is hardly throwing all the youngsters in at once.
exactly. I think most would say there should be around 4 starting youth, which isn't really asking too much against freaking astana at Old trafford. Tuanz, greenwood, gomes, and prob chong. I mean United can roll that out and still have romero, young, jones, rojo, fred, matic, and lingard in there to help out as the older contingent. Is that really too much of an asking?

8thWonder

Coaches aren't always right either. Just look at Pogba/Sancho situations.

Sometimes players just need that extra movivation and challenge to grow to the next level. Playing your best in the reserves every week just doesn't motivate some people.
The general consensus is that Fergie got it wrong with Pogba, Mourinho got it wrong with Salah and De Bruyne and Pep with Sancho but the fact is, those managers had decisions to make about young players, playing time and how to juggle their current squads, and they all went onto winning titles after those players had left...

Your right, some players will be chomping at the bit to play first team football and leave and some will stay and try to make it at those clubs despite slow proceedings. But should Ole make concessions to keep those players happy just because they might leave, even if for whatever reason the coaching staff believe the slow route to be the better option?

RedCurry

But the flip side of that is, if he doesn't perform in a game against Astana, the fickle fans will write him off(because clearly that is the easiest game he'll get) and want the next young player to be tried and tested over giving Gomes a shot.

Madzik_92

exactly. I think most would say there should be around 4 starting youth, which isn't really asking too much against freaking astana at Old trafford. Tuanz, greenwood, gomes, and prob chong. I mean United can roll that out and still have romero, young, jones, rojo, fred, matic, and lingard in there to help out as the older contingent. Is that really too much of an asking?
Meanwhile Fati plays for Barca against freakin dortmund. Gomes will leave United and i hope he does because clearly United staff is stupid for not rates him. And playing likes of lingard and pereira ffs

AshRK

It doesn't matter if it is Astana or Dundalk FC or some professional team from Latvia. Never it is good to have all or many youngster play together. Astana may not be your PL level club but they have professional footballer who play for their national team. If you think starting the game with all Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Garner, is a good idea then you are underestimating professional football. Even sir alex never started a team mostly of academy players. They have more to lose than gain. If they lose or remain ineffective then they will get more heat. This is why it is always smart to rotate these young players. I would start Greenwood, Tuanzebe and maybe chong and then have gomes replace one of other attacker in 60-70 mins. Then have Gomes start next week against Rochdale and bench one of Chong or Greenwood. I don't think it is smart to have all three start together this soon.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The general consensus is that Fergie got it wrong with Pogba, Mourinho got it wrong with Salah and De Bruyne and Pep with Sancho but the fact is, those managers had decisions to make about young players, playing time and how to juggle their current squads, and they all went onto winning titles after those players had left...

Your right, some players will be chomping at the bit to play first team football and leave and some will stay and try to make it at those clubs despite slow proceedings. But should Ole make concessions to keep those players happy just because they might leave, even if for whatever reason the coaching staff believe the slow route to be the better option?
It largely depends on the players ahead of the youngsters. If they are very good players who are performing well, then it's understandable that it'll take longer for the kids to get a good amount of gametime and that they have to be patient. However if the players who are being picked aren't performing, not giving the kids a proper chance is showing a lack of trust or faith in them being good enough (whether rightly or wrongly). The kids in the second group are more likely to see a real opportunity in the short-term, and if they don't get it they'll ultimately be unhappier and more likely to want to move.

AFC NimbleThumb

OgS should make concessions for someone like Gomes when the alternatives are Mata [past it], Andreas [never shown it] & Lingard [he’s Lingard].

The potential positives to giving Gomes playing time outweigh a few goals from Mata mixed with anonymity in most games etc.

From a Gomes perspective when you are struggling to make the bench despite us having such a lack of attacking depth then I’d be considering the exit.

The club preaches youth to excuse themselves for not buying players but Mata will get more minutes than Gomes & Chong this season.

Mark Pawelek

It doesn't matter if it is Astana or Dundalk FC or some professional team from Latvia. Never it is good to have all or many youngster play together. Astana may not be your PL level club but they have professional footballer who play for their national team. If you think starting the game with all Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Garner, is a good idea then you are underestimating professional football ...
On the other hand, when young players are used to playing together they know each other's game very well. When the alternative players suggested are those like Matic, (in place of Garner), then the so-called safe team will actually be the weaker team. We should play Gomes, Garner, Chong, Greenwood, and even Williams. Otherwise with half a squad injured and the rest at risk of being overplayed we stand a greater risk losing on Sunday.

PS: Not one person in favour of playing Matic tonight made the case that he's crucial to winning the game. Instead arguments are "we're paying him so he needs to play", and "he needs a run out". Likewise those arguing for Mata/Lingard/PierraAndreas ahead of Gomes.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Remains the most talked about player on Redcafe (most performance thread pages) despite only making one squad and playing 0 minutes all season.

rotherham_red

It doesn't matter if it is Astana or Dundalk FC or some professional team from Latvia. Never it is good to have all or many youngster play together. Astana may not be your PL level club but they have professional footballer who play for their national team. If you think starting the game with all Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Garner, is a good idea then you are underestimating professional football. Even sir alex never started a team mostly of academy players. They have more to lose than gain. If they lose or remain ineffective then they will get more heat. This is why it is always smart to rotate these young players. I would start Greenwood, Tuanzebe and maybe chong and then have gomes replace one of other attacker in 60-70 mins. Then have Gomes start next week against Rochdale and bench one of Chong or Greenwood. I don't think it is smart to have all three start together this soon.
This is exactly what I expect to happen, which is perfectly understandable. Would be pleasantly surprised if they all started though.

RedDevilRoshi

Remains the most talked about player on Redcafe (most performance thread pages) despite only making one squad and playing 0 minutes all season.
Firstly because he looks a really talented young player that deserves to be given a chance.

Secondary he was excellent in pre-season and looked the sort of player we were crying out for - a creative midfielder that can not only dribble and pick out a great pass but also unlock a packed defence - something we really struggle with when teams park the bus against us. His competition for that number 10 position is Lingard, Pereira & Mata. All three are utter s****! Which begs the question, why not give him an opportunity as those three have done nothing at all to really cement that number 10 position as their own.

jem

Meanwhile Fati plays for Barca against freakin dortmund. Gomes will leave United and i hope he does because clearly United staff is stupid for not rates him. And playing likes of lingard and pereira ffs
Lines like this will never cease to baffle me. It's almost as if being proven right is more important to fans than the success of the team that they allegedly support.

Bwuk

I feel like these are the games he has to be starting. At home in the group stages of the Europa.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nobody else find it strange how little he gets mentioned or even played? Even in pre season he seemed to be behind Chong, who i consider a much rawer and less refined talent at the moment. I'm sure he's not a regular in the England teams at his youth level either.

I like the look of him but either the coaches don't rate him or don't think he's physically ready. Perhaps at United the contract thing is an issue too. I Just find it odd, was surprised Ole didn't mention him again yesterday.

macheda14

Nobody else find it strange how little he gets mentioned or even played? Even in pre season he seemed to be behind Chong, who i consider a much rawer and less refined talent at the moment. I'm sure he's not a regular in the England teams at his youth level either.

I like the look of him but either the coaches don't rate him or don't think he's physically ready. Perhaps at United the contract thing is an issue too. I Just find it odd, was surprised Ole didn't mention him again yesterday.
He mentioned him as much as Chong yesterday. To be honest I’d like to see a journalist ask about him specifically. I’m pretty sure if we somehow make enough noise on Twitter or something a journo will pick it up and hopefully we’d get a legit answer. ALSO, as I’ve said before, it’s be good if he somehow knew the fans are all behind him and find him exciting.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He mentioned him as much as Chong yesterday. To be honest I’d like to see a journalist ask about him specifically. I’m pretty sure if we somehow make enough noise on Twitter or something a journo will pick it up and hopefully we’d get a legit answer. ALSO, as I’ve said before, it’s be good if he somehow knew the fans are all behind him and find him exciting.
Really? I read what i thought were full quotes and I didn't see his name mentioned at all. The rest still applies though. There have certainly been press conferences this season where he hasn't been mentioned when discussing giving youth a chance.

What did he say about him?

macheda14

Really? I read what i thought were full quotes and I didn't see his name mentioned at all. The rest still applies though. There have certainly been press conferences this season where he hasn't been mentioned when discussing giving youth a chance.

What did he say about him?
He said nothing, just included him in the same list as Chong and greenwood when answering a question on youth. It’s more he only ever really mentions greenwood past just naming him because he’s asked about greenwood nearly every presser. I don’t think it’s a conscious omission

AJ10

He starts....Hopefully this will convince him to not go to Barca/PSG. ;)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Go on kid:drool:
This game, next week against Rochdale and the other group stage games are the biggest chances Chong, Greenwood and Gomes will have to move up in the pecking order. They have key roles today and in these games, time to prove they can handle it to be trusted more in other games.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good that Ole stuck to his words. He said these young players will get chances once Europa starts and he is starting everyone except Garner.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because he's class.
He looks a fantastic talent. But he hasn’t been involved in any of the actual football. Football which has included the most expensive defender in the world, a young player who has come in and scored 3 in 4. He’s the most talked about player on here, which I would suggest might mean he will be under unfair and unrealistic pressure to be some sort of messiah when he features.

I too want to see him, as his profile is exactly what we need.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's probably good that we have Europa this season. Gives us games with less risks to assess young players. We cant afford to take risks in league.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I pray tonight is the start of him being an unmovable fixture in the first XI

Status
Not open for further replies.