5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

Why do I need to explain reality to you?
What does this even mean? I can explain it another way since you reject my perfectly valid question to you.

How many people are Gomes height in the best footballing countries in the world, and how many are Messi's height? The fact that there are less people of Gomes height in football could simply mean there are less people of Gomes height in the world. That simple fact has nothing to do with footballing. It's a game of numbers. That isn't the same point you were making btw. You're saying that inches matter in regards to becoming a footballer with no explanation why.

In fact, I would find your reasoning much more palatable if we were discussing a hypothetical where we both choose a height of a young 3-4 year old footballer more likely to make it to the top. However, once we simply know the u18 players on an individual level, that simply goes out the window. At this point, we can now judge players based on their qualities in relation to their position. Gomes has already made it this far, and been the star prospect over others that are taller. That is a far better tool to use than height probability.

And why stop at height as the one probability tool or filter to decide who makes it? We could say "How many players with Gomes ability on the ball make it compared to players with McTominay's ability on the ball?" "How many players with Mbappe's athleticism make it compared to those without?" "Who has the bigger chance (based on numbers) to make it to the pros, one who was a star prospect for his age group, or those that weren't?" For example, if we made a bet and you were limited to players who were average for the youth team (70% of league), and I was limited to the star prospects of youth teams (30% of league), you would have numbers on your side. Would you take that bet? Probably not because you would rightly think the better indicator is footballing ability.

In Gomes' case, an extra inch or so would mean nothing. Gomes lives and dies by his technical ability, vision, awareness, and passing ability. And compared to most youth footballers, there aren't many at a level above his save for someone like Rayan Cherki. If he fails to make it, it will have nothing to do with his height, and everything to do with that football ability and intelligence or mental fortitude.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don’t need to explain it. Look at the league and football in general, it’s dominated by tall athletic players. There are obviously exceptions. Angel needs to stay fit and prove he’s an exception.
Athletic yes. Tall not so much. Plenty of short players get away with that by being either very fast or deceptively strong with great balance and agility. Obviously Gomes isn't very fast, so what he will really need to work on is his strength and agility to be able to ride challenges and turn players.

lumeyes

Athletic yes. Tall not so much. Plenty of short players get away with that by being either very fast or deceptively strong with great balance and agility. Obviously Gomes isn't very fast, so what he will really need to work on is his strength and agility to be able to ride challenges and turn players.
Thanks for the observation. But it is also obvious that Gomes isn't slow. Admittedly not among the fastest but he is in no way a snail. In terms of speed I wouldn't rate Messi above him, they both can have a quick short burst but naturally can't sustain it against "faster" players for a long stretch. It's like 100 m sprint vs 400 m race.

I still stand by my argument that Gomes, under the present circumstances is the best no 10 we have (since Ole doesn't want to play Pogba there). A more courageous manager would be giving him a significant portion of the game time Mata and Lingard have been wasting. This would have addressed two issues:

1) Help inject some creativity in the final third. I don't think anyone who has followed Gomes can deny this, his size nothwithstanding. Since Ole, against all expectations, failed to get at least two midfielders in the summer, he should be working with what he has - Gomes and Garner.

2) Give the club an idea of what next to do with him. Should he stay with the senior team and continue to climb the ladder, go on loan in January or be asked to spend one full year with the reserve team.

This kid hasn't been given any chance to prove himself and yet some are writing him off already. And please no one should count any game he played out of position, especially when surrounded by poor players. That's akin to throwing a young, inexperienced warrior into a battle, armed with weapons he is not familiar with, and then attacking him for not being good enough. We saw Garner play in the Europa league and looked out of depth, only to look totally different in his last appearance. Of course some were already quick to dismiss him after that first outing.

No one has said Gomes is nailed on to be a very good player or superstar, but his qualities indicate he can be. And he needs to be judged fairly. The argument that Ole sees him in training and is in a better situation to know what's best doesn't cut it. Ole also sees Mata and Lingard in training.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Bestietom

What does this even mean? I can explain it another way since you reject my perfectly valid question to you.

How many people are Gomes height in the best footballing countries in the world, and how many are Messi's height? The fact that there are less people of Gomes height in football could simply mean there are less people of Gomes height in the world. That simple fact has nothing to do with footballing. It's a game of numbers. That isn't the same point you were making btw. You're saying that inches matter in regards to becoming a footballer with no explanation why.

In fact, I would find your reasoning much more palatable if we were discussing a hypothetical where we both choose a height of a young 3-4 year old footballer more likely to make it to the top. However, once we simply know the u18 players on an individual level, that simply goes out the window. At this point, we can now judge players based on their qualities in relation to their position. Gomes has already made it this far, and been the star prospect over others that are taller. That is a far better tool to use than height probability.

And why stop at height as the one probability tool or filter to decide who makes it? We could say "How many players with Gomes ability on the ball make it compared to players with McTominay's ability on the ball?" "How many players with Mbappe's athleticism make it compared to those without?" "Who has the bigger chance (based on numbers) to make it to the pros, one who was a star prospect for his age group, or those that weren't?" For example, if we made a bet and you were limited to players who were average for the youth team (70% of league), and I was limited to the star prospects of youth teams (30% of league), you would have numbers on your side. Would you take that bet? Probably not because you would rightly think the better indicator is footballing ability.

In Gomes' case, an extra inch or so would mean nothing. Gomes lives and dies by his technical ability, vision, awareness, and passing ability. And compared to most youth footballers, there aren't many at a level above his save for someone like Rayan Cherki. If he fails to make it, it will have nothing to do with his height, and everything to do with that football ability and intelligence or mental fortitude.
Well said..

FerociousCorgis

i remember in august when people complained about not seeing much of gomes we were told plenty of games and give it time. It has been time and still barely seen.

SirAF

Ageist
i remember in august when people complained about not seeing much of gomes we were told plenty of games and give it time. It has been time and still barely seen.
He’s probably still injured now, but if he was fit this is exactly the sort of match he should be starting ahead of Mata in.

jb8521

I'd be surprised if he or Chong play for the first team again without signing new contracts

In Rainbows

He hasn't been playing because he's injured, but I am confused because just hours after he went off injured in the reserves match, he tweeted that he was fine and it was just a precaution. It's almost been 2 weeks since then, and he hasn't been making squads, traveling with the squads, pictured training with the squad, or even playing in youth matches.

Crashoutcassius

I’d leave if I were him. Problem is he’ll probably sign for Barca or Bayern and disappear into the abyss there.
why would you leave then? if he is going to make it at any big club, united is the one giving out the chances at the moment. Chelsea's young players have between 1 and 4 more years experience than him, whereas at united greenwood and garner are playing at 18. .. dont even know what age williams is

SteveW

He hasn't been playing because he's injured, but I am confused because just hours after he went off injured in the reserves match, he tweeted that he was fine and it was just a precaution. It's almost been 2 weeks since then, and he hasn't been making squads, traveling with the squads, pictured training with the squad, or even playing in youth matches.
Must have been worse than he thought. Wouldn't read into it too deeply.

Classical Mechanic

why would you leave then? if he is going to make it at any big club, united is the one giving out the chances at the moment. Chelsea's young players have between 1 and 4 more years experience than him, whereas at united greenwood and garner are playing at 18. .. dont even know what age williams is
To get first team football. I think he should go to Holland to a club like Vitesse.

He's been called up to England u20s anyway so make of that what you will.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd be surprised if he or Chong play for the first team again without signing new contracts
Hardly surprising, I did think this might be the case. No point giving them game time if they're just going to dip for free in summer. Gomes might also have been refusing to sign a contract very early on which is why we've so little of him compared to the others, all speculation, mind.
Is this guy getting the "Solanke" treatment? I mean not getting picked because he won't sign a contract extension?
Seems that way.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's possible.
Seems that way.
If he is, the decision makers at Man United should really look at how that turned out for us compared to how we treated CHO* when he was flirting with Bayern.

I can't see any highly rated young player signing an extension after this sort of treatment.

*Please ignore the relative skill levels of Solanke and CHO for the purposes of this!

Bestietom

Thanks for the observation. But it is also obvious that Gomes isn't slow. Admittedly not among the fastest but he is in no way a snail. In terms of speed I wouldn't rate Messi above him, they both can have a quick short burst but naturally can't sustain it against "faster" players for a long stretch. It's like 100 m sprint vs 400 m race.

I still stand by my argument that Gomes, under the present circumstances is the best no 10 we have (since Ole doesn't want to play Pogba there). A more courageous manager would be giving him a significant portion of the game time Mata and Lingard have been wasting. This would have addressed two issues:

1) Help inject some creativity in the final third. I don't think anyone who has followed Gomes can deny this, his size nothwithstanding. Since Ole, against all expectations, failed to get at least two midfielders in the summer, he should be working with what he has - Gomes and Garner.

2) Give the club an idea of what next to do with him. Should he stay with the senior team and continue to climb the ladder, go on loan in January or be asked to spend one full year with the reserve team.

This kid hasn't been given any chance to prove himself and yet some are writing him off already. And please no one should count any game he played out of position, especially when surrounded by poor players. That's akin to throwing a young, inexperienced warrior into a battle, armed with weapons he is not familiar with, and then attacking him for not being good enough. We saw Garner play in the Europa league and looked out of depth, only to look totally different in his last appearance. Of course some were already quick to dismiss him after that first outing.

No one has said Gomes is nailed on to be a very good player or superstar, but his qualities indicate he can be. And he needs to be judged fairly. The argument that Ole sees him in training and is in a better situation to know what's best doesn't cut it. Ole also sees Mata and Lingard in training.
I agree 100%. Gomes, given game time in the area he prefers most ( Number 10) could turn out to be our best bet. Mata, Lingard, Pereira have been tried there and failed, yet Ole keeps playing either of these here. Gomes is gifted with close control and skill to open up defenses better than any of these 3, and should be given time in this position.

DBT85

There is (according to howson) someone signing a contract being announced at 3 today. I wonder if its Angel.

Thiagoal

Rumours on Twitter that he’s rejected a contract and been frozen out...something about his Instagram account ( now idea what) The face he’s been selected for England U20’s adds credence to this. Hope it’s not true though

Based Adnan

Why would he sign a new contract? He can't even get ahead of a completely finished Mata and Lingard who hasn't scored in 11 months.

Based Adnan

Why are we upset that injured players aren’t playing

@Based Adnan
He's just been called up to England U20s so we'll see if he really is injured

Secondly there has been plenty of opportunities to play him when fit and we still haven't seen him. He hasn't been injured all season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Secondly there has been plenty of opportunities to play him when fit and we still haven't seen him. He hasn't been injured all season.
He’s been injured every time there’s been a good opportunity for him to play. Europa League and League Cup games.

FerociousCorgis

thank you for saying what was the quite obvious response to that.

Crashoutcassius

If he is, the decision makers at Man United should really look at how that turned out for us compared to how we treated CHO* when he was flirting with Bayern.

I can't see any highly rated young player signing an extension after this sort of treatment.

*Please ignore the relative skill levels of Solanke and CHO for the purposes of this!
Is cho on 190k or something? Should we do that ?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is cho on 190k or something? Should we do that ?
£190? Nah.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...i-signs-new-five-year-120000-a-week-contract/

£120 is still a shitload of course but if we lost an England international and our best youth talent in 20 years for nothing, how much would we have to pay for his replacement?

Gomes is obviously not as far along as CHO in his development (despite being older) so won't get £120k but if he's as good as so many on here think, you'll need to play him and show him the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.