5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

The moments he did get to play he looked a lot better than Chong. If Chong is ready than Gomes is even more ready.
But we don't see them in training, he is also been better than Chong . A lot better makes it sound like he has done anything of note in the 1st

sherrinford

He passes his apprenticeship by playing better than he has done when given opportunities. He might then get some more. All he’s shown is that he isn’t ready. Easy to say ‘play the better player’, but that is not determined on u18 performances. Gomes hasn’t shown he’s a better option than anyone as a 10 yet. Well, maybe Mata, but not the other two. And it hasn’t exactly been a high bar to pass.
I think he showed more in his first appearance than either Lingard or Pereira had in the no.10 role up to that point. Looked a classy little player. It’s obvious Solskjaer doesn’t fancy him though.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Refuse to believe he wasn't selected due to a lack of effort in training. Must be a contract thing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he showed more in his first appearance than either Lingard or Pereira had in the no.10 role up to that point. Looked a classy little player. It’s obvious Solskjaer doesn’t fancy him though.
Maybe. Not better enough I guess to dislodge. And also, he needs to build on it from there. He hasn’t been that good. I think there is quite a fixation with Angel Gomes on here, and it does correlate with his performances I don’t think. He has wonderful ability, I agree, but it isn’t the end of his story. He’s also 5’4 for a start. Basically, he needs to do better than he has done to force the issue. That’s before any fall outs or disputes that we may or may not know about.

In Rainbows

He passes his apprenticeship by playing better than he has done when given opportunities. He might then get some more. All he’s shown is that he isn’t ready. Easy to say ‘play the better player’, but that is not determined on u18 performances. Gomes hasn’t shown he’s a better option than anyone as a 10 yet. Well, maybe Mata, but not the other two. And it hasn’t exactly been a high bar to pass.
He's started on the wings 2/3 times. So he's only gotten one chance as a 10. And you're showing favoritism too by saying the others deserve game time for simply being older. They get chance after chance to impress so it's no wonder there are more flashes, simply due to the amount of minutes on the pitch.

But hey, personally, my wish is that he gets played deeper where he can utilize his touch, craftiness, etc... and gets rid of any passiveness allowing him to get on the ball a lot more.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's started on the wings 2/3 times. So he's only gotten one chance as a 10. And you're showing favoritism too by saying the others deserve game time for simply being older. They get chance after chance to impress so it's no wonder there are more flashes, simply due to the amount of minutes on the pitch.

But hey, personally, my wish is that he gets played deeper where he can utilize his touch, craftiness, etc... and gets rid of any passiveness allowing him to get on the ball a lot more.
I’m not showing favouritism. It’s how things are. When Lingard plays, it’s not ‘giving him a chance’ anyway. He got his ‘chances’ when he was 22 or so. He’s since gone on and won trophies and 30 caps. Gomes wants to get in, and needs to take his chances. He hasn’t done that, from what I’ve seen. Lingard being poor too isn’t the point, he’ll get replaced soon enough, but due to Gomes not taking his chances, it won’t be by him in all likelihood.

SteveW

I rate Gomes highly but I agree with those saying it's up to him to earn his place. He hasn't committed to the club yet and he's been pretty quiet in the 2-3 games he's played. I don't see a reason for anyone getting hugely pissed off over the situation, himself included.

I'd like to see him back himself and sign a deal. Once he does that I think we can be patient with him as he still needs to build up his strength. As it stands he's not really robust enough for regular PL. It will take time.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hard to commit when you're a talented 19-year-old and nothing players (Lingard, Pereira and Mata) are ahead of you regardless of form and return.
If a 19 year old player who has achieved sweet feck all in senior football finds it hard to commit because of other players then this club and perhaps football as a whole isn't really the place for him.

King Andow

It really isn’t hard to commit.
If a 19 year old player who has achieved sweet feck all in senior football finds it hard to commit because of other players then this club and perhaps football as a whole isn't really the place for him.
He wants to play regularly to develop his game, obviously. He has 68 minutes in his position this season, despite Pereira, Lingard and Mata being useless pretty much every game and Pogba being injured. Leaving in January is the best move for his career if he's not a leech.

Crashoutcassius

You would wonder what is going on. Obviously a joke to say he is 'better than lingard' after 2 good lingard performances, but in a nothing game today in at the end of a few months where Ole has trsted a huge amount of kids why is gomes just not getting much of a chance

Red_toad

You would wonder what is going on. Obviously a joke to say he is 'better than lingard' after 2 good lingard performances, but in a nothing game today in at the end of a few months where Ole has trsted a huge amount of kids why is gomes just not getting much of a chance
He should have featured at some point in the last match. His fans should message journalists on-mass and get them to ask the question at the net presser. Fed up of hearing it's a contract thing, as United don't not play players just as they're negotiating contracts, be nice if we could have some light shone of why he's being omitted from games where he should (at the very least) be a substitute.

He'sRaldo

He should have featured at some point in the last match. His fans should message journalists on-mass and get them to ask the question at the net presser. Fed up of hearing it's a contract thing, as United don't not play players just as they're negotiating contracts, be nice if we could have some light shone of why he's being omitted from games where he should (at the very least) be a substitute.
This makes no sense as, even if this somehow worked, Ole would obviously give a diplomatic answer anyway regardless of what's really going on behind the scenes.

In any case, I don't think trying to pressure a manager into playing a player you like is a good idea.

ManRed

Ole is giving out opportunities to youngsters this season and Gomes not featuring clearly shows either he is out of favour or Ole doesn't think his head is at Manutd. I rather have players who want to play for the club.

mav_9me

I tend to think it's cuz of him not signing a contract extension. I am surprised that he is not though.

khoazany

This place always assume players will leave and most of the cases were proven wrong. Chong was our best player in the last U23s game is probably the reason why he is selected which leave Gomes out as there is only 7 spots on the bench. I have heard this place treated Andreas as if he was already left the club since he was 19 and he's still here now.

Due to his statue it will always take times to him to be well equipped with senior football, he is not the type of player that instantly adapt to a new level either as proven by his transition to U23s football.

Give Ole and the coaches sometimes to see how they handle his development shall we?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Ole is giving out opportunities to youngsters this season and Gomes not featuring clearly shows either he is out of favour or Ole doesn't think his head is at Manutd. I rather have players who want to play for the club.
He was injured a long time and only just came back.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Tired of moaning in here. Neo I know you're in here. Sign the damn contract and go on loan in January, Angel. We all want you at this club forever, and you want it too. It will happen, just let things play out. Natural step now is to step up out on loan in Germany or something. (If you're reading)

SteveW

This place always assume players will leave and most of the cases were proven wrong. Chong was our best player in the last U23s game is probably the reason why he is selected which leave Gomes out as there is only 7 spots on the bench. I have heard this place treated Andreas as if he was already left the club since he was 19 and he's still here now.

Due to his statue it will always take times to him to be well equipped with senior football, he is not the type of player that instantly adapt to a new level either as proven by his transition to U23s football.

Give Ole and the coaches sometimes to see how they handle his development shall we?
100% agree. I don't think he's even physically ready to play each week in the PL. There's no reason for Ole to try and rush him. And there's loads of time for him to develop. Assuming he signs the contract that is....

M Bison

Supports
York City
He wants to play regularly to develop his game, obviously. He has 68 minutes in his position this season, despite Pereira, Lingard and Mata being useless pretty much every game and Pogba being injured. Leaving in January is the best move for his career if he's not a leech.
You have absolutely no idea about what has gone on behind closed doors and/or how he's trained, his general attitude or his actual ability.

Maybe the backroom staff dont think he's up to it, or Gomes has been holding them to ransom, "i'll sign a contract if you play me" no one actually knows, all we do know is that Ole and co dont fancy him and if he hasnt got the fight or desire to get in the side and wants to jump ship, then we should let him go.

Bondi77

The times I have seen him play at youth and u21 level I think he has wonderful ability. I do think his small stature is a bit of a concern if he is to make it in England.
I would like us to extend his contract but I think the best thing for him and. Chong is to go on a season loan with a good footballing team in the Championship and that would be the ideal test to see if they can handle the physicality of the English game and they could be playing on a regular basis.
It is a win situation for all parties.

sugar_kane

Given Ole's excellent record so far of giving youth a chance the fact this guy isn't featuring tells you he isn't quite ready, I can't understand anyone arguing otherwise.

jackal&hyde

If he doesn't want to sign then he is a very stupid boy. Few times have our young players been given more opportunities then this season under the current manager. As far as i understand there is a contract offer so it's up to him; should he choose to leave it would be a very silly decision

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Given Ole's excellent record so far of giving youth a chance the fact this guy isn't featuring tells you he isn't quite ready, I can't understand anyone arguing otherwise.
I don't even think it's his size that's the issue, his stamina is very poor which means he ends up going missing in games.

His recent injuries probably haven't helped but it's not a surprise at the slower tempo of reverse football he looks a god, in mens it's much faster and more difficult.

Last time he played at mens level he was knackered by 60 minutes.

I really hope his agent is just playing hard ball and eventually he will stay, but he's in a difficult period of not quite being good enough to be a star like Greenwood, but good enough to get more minutes.

POF

If he doesn't want to sign then he is a very stupid boy. Few times have our young players been given more opportunities then this season under the current manager. As far as i understand there is a contract offer so it's up to him; should he choose to leave it would be a very silly decision
I completely agree. There is no other big club in world football where he is more likely to get first team opportunities.

On top of that, he is the poster boy for the revamped academy. Nicky Butt regularly name checked him when mentioning the talented players that are in the academy. He is part of the privileged 4, brought in to train with the first team for a number of years now.

The club clearly has big plans for him. He's been at the club since he was a very young boy. If he has patience, he will get his opportunity. If he doesn't, and if he moves elsewhere, it will be a real shame. But it will be a bigger loss for him than for United.

He clearly lacks physicality and athleticism. Failing to track his runner led to Astana's winning goal a few weeks ago. His stature and the position he plays will mean he will need more time to break through than more naturally athletic players like Greenwood, Garner and Williams. When he gets more mature physically, it won't be a problem.

Brightonian

I completely agree. There is no other big club in world football where he is more likely to get first team opportunities.

On top of that, he is the poster boy for the revamped academy. Nicky Butt regularly name checked him when mentioning the talented players that are in the academy. He is part of the privileged 4, brought in to train with the first team for a number of years now.

The club clearly has big plans for him. He's been at the club since he was a very young boy. If he has patience, he will get his opportunity. If he doesn't, and if he moves elsewhere, it will be a real shame. But it will be a bigger loss for him than for United.

He clearly lacks physicality and athleticism. Failing to track his runner led to Astana's winning goal a few weeks ago. His stature and the position he plays will mean he will need more time to break through than more naturally athletic players like Greenwood, Garner and Williams. When he gets more mature physically, it won't be a problem.
Very good post. He's a rare talent, and given patience he could become a star player for us. But at this stage leaving would be more his loss than United's. Players with his physical profile and probable slower development curve do much better in the patient, supportive environment of their home club. He's not a Pogba or Jadon Sancho, ready for first team action and being held back by the club. In the cutthroat competition of another team who don't know him, he could easily just disappear.

lumeyes

People are just making things up about Gomes. Maybe they know something, perhaps Ole whispers in their ears :)
It's pointless flogging a dead horse. Many have made up their minds.

The only times Gomes has been truly tried he didn't disappoint. I mean played in a position he is familiar with. I have no issues with Chong but he has been very poor when called upon, except in one preseason game, a game Gomes also played and was fantastic as a no 10. But Ole continues to give him game time in his preferred or more natural positions.

Youngsters need to be properly managed. Greenwood - a potential superstar - have had games in which he was poor, even very poor. It would be unfair to judge him on those games, especially considering that the older players who should be guiding him were often, if not always poor in those games. But you could see his quality and potentials even in those games, games he was played in positions where he is comfortable. So why would Ole even play Gomes at all if he wasn't going to give him the chance to better express himself ? I repeat what I have said again and again, it's unfair to judge Gomes in games where he was thrown out to the wings, moreso when the team was generally poor in those games. It's even more confusing because Gomes isn't know for burst of speed or dribbling, characteristics that would have helped him play as a winger.

If we were to go by this "he has not taken his chance argument", then Lingard and Mata should have been sent to the reserve team, or even banished from the club. For being consistently poor over a long stretch, while playing in their preferred positions. The latter particularly is a puzzle; he is slower and weaker than Gomes and has lost most of the creativity he had in the past.

Everyone to his own, but fairness in passing judgement is not asking for too much.

Grande

It’s completely pointless trying to make up one’s mind about a 18-20 year old.

There is probably way too much useless fuss over wether Gomes is playing games or not at this moment. I’m guilty of it too, and I think it stems not only from the hype, but also from both seeing hims as a sixteen year old and thinking ‘that boy is ready for premier league minutes right now.’ And then, two years later, watching preseason games and thinking: ‘of all our talented kids, he looks the most exciting, and the one most ready to make an impact bar MG’. Since then, he seems to have been distanced by Greenwood, and passed by Williams, Laird, Garner and Chong, despite his strongest position being our possibly weakest position. A case of simple disappointment.

As with most talent, I have no idea of all the factors coming into play. Growth curve. Strength. Stamina. Mentality. Maturity. Decision making. Imposing on games. Confidence. The needs of the team. The balance of youngsters in the team, and need in other positions. The possible need for trying out/playing into form other players in the no 10 position precisely because it is our weakest position, and a key one at that. So many factors come in.

One thing is certain, if he has the next level in his locker, and a determination to make it at Man United, then Ole being here is a godsend to him. At no other club in England would he have a better chance. Maybe he is a bit like Martin Ødegaard - at 15 a world talent, at 19 not quite good enough for a leading role in mid table Eredivisie, at 20 he is currently one of the best playmakers in La Liga. Who knows if it will last, but there’s no doubt that Ødegaard today would be good enough to play for United ahead of Pereira, whereas six months ago we couldn’t afford playing him ahead of Mata if he was here.

Gomes may come in bounds, or remain one of those who never made the level, or one that wanted to go other places. Not really worth fussing about, I’ll just have to balance the excitement I felt seeing what he could do and the way he could play at such a young age. That’s my ‘problem’, not his or Solskjær’s.

Deleted all United references from his Instagram bio and most of his pictures. Probably gone then, in which case I wish him the best of luck. Wish he'd gotten more chances this season, but I'm guessing there's a reason for it given that so many youth players have been given opportunities. Hope we don't regret this

kidbob

Deleted all United references from his Instagram bio and most of his pictures. Probably gone then, in which case I wish him the best of luck. Wish he'd gotten more chances this season, but I'm guessing there's a reason for it given that so many youth players have been given opportunities. Hope we don't regret this
A real pity. Greenwood took a good few games to look comfortable and maybe Angel just needed the same. Not like we have anyone in his position tearing things up. I guess the only thing is that I think he's a Manchester lad so he may return but if he does then he'll likely cost a pretty penny.

Not on social media so has he just deleted any reference about united on there?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I stand by my original thoughts, I think he made it clear early on in the season that he had no interest in renewing and that's why he's not been given any opportunities, I have a nasty feeling someone turned his head after the pre-season tour.

IrishRedDevil

Don’t blame he, he watched Lingard start at Nr 10 today, giving the ball away anytime we attacked.

Surely Gomes can offer something more than absolutely nothing that Lingard provides.

izec

I stand by my original thoughts, I think he made it clear early on in the season that he had no interest in renewing and that's why he's not been given any opportunities, I have a nasty feeling someone turned his head after the pre-season tour.
Think he was fed up with the lack of chances personally, even during the pre season tour he was getting neglected. As i said in the summer, if he doesnt play more often, he will go. He looked better than Greenwood in pre season, i dont doubt for a second he could deliver good performances in the first team. Better than Lingard, Pereira and Mata for sure. So for me his decision is justified.

A real pity. Greenwood took a good few games to look comfortable and maybe Angel just needed the same. Not like we have anyone in his position tearing things up. I guess the only thing is that I think he's a Manchester lad so he may return but if he does then he'll likely cost a pretty penny.

Not on social media so has he just deleted any reference about united on there?
He has a few pictures of him in games from this season and last, although deleted most of them and took out United from his bio on Instagram and Twitter.

kidbob

He has a few pictures of him in games from this season and last, although deleted most of them and took out United from his bio on Instagram and Twitter.
Ah I see, that seems a bad sign so. All the best to him if he does go. Incredibly talented player IMO, maybe a league like Spain would suit him best but I do think with patience he could make it in the PL.

izec

The lad is technically pure class, one of our most exciting performers on the tour, put in a shift, and still got overlooked. Seeing players like Mata, Pereira and Lingard starting in front of you when you look better is ridiculous. He is 19, not 15, he may be still a small lad, but that excuse doesnt count if you play Mata, who is slow and weak. He sees guys like Sancho, Greenwood and Foden play much more than him, and he is in a similar bracket talent wise.

I have no doubt in my mind he will turn out to be a top player if he chooses his next club wisely now. I will never understand why he didnt get chances. He would have stayed with more game time and trust, both nonexistent here.

theklr

Well, with all the chatter about us getting a no 10 , or Pogba getting back, i guess he sees the writing on the wall.

If he isnt playing Colchester he is for sure a goner.

I guess he was so hyped after preseason that it might have gotten to him in the few games he got, but he should have gotten more chances.

I just hope that we get a buyback clause or a loan , but guess that is out of our hands as his contract is running out?

Status
Not open for further replies.